The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another golden oldie having his best year ever

+2
bogbrush
Mad for Chelsea
6 posters

Go down

Another golden oldie having his best year ever Empty Another golden oldie having his best year ever

Post by Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Yes.. you heard it right.

Florian Mayer, the decrepit 28 yr old is enjoying the finest season of his career.

Currently ranked 23 (he was 18 in june) the German looks set to climb even higher in the rankings after destroying The Nadull 7-6, 6-3 in Shanghai.

It looks like the myth of the 'golden generation' has well and truly been busted.

Players such as Mayer, who from 04 to 07 hardly made a dent in the rankings are now flourishing.

ghost

emancipator - intergalactic tennis historian and debunker of weak era myths.

Back to top Go down

Another golden oldie having his best year ever Empty Re: Another golden oldie having his best year ever

Post by Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:25 pm

Hello

Very Happy

anyone around?

ghost

Back to top Go down

Another golden oldie having his best year ever Empty Re: Another golden oldie having his best year ever

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Hello

Very Happy

BOO has been here, I have felt his presence.

Mayer has just joined my list of favourit players, lovely unorthodox game with great variety.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:35 pm

The Golden Era is in full swing.

I've been calling this for months. Much more of it and I'm going to go against my principles and start talking about a weak era. That's an exaggeration, but there is no way this can be called a particularly strong period.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:24 pm

Well done Mayer Bubbly

Hope he can improve on this win. I have a lot of respect for players who don't simply 'fold' when up against Nadal be it either physically or mentally. Maybe Federer could get him on the phone and pick up a few tips!!!

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:27 pm

Right now I think Federer would like to play Nadal on these faster conditions.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:40 pm

bogbrush wrote:Right now I think Federer would like to play Nadal on these faster conditions.

With any luck they'll play Paris and London with snooker balls - although last year he was overhauled by Monfils in the fast conditions of Paris before the WTF masterclass.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:44 pm

barrystar wrote:
With any luck they'll play Paris and London with snooker balls - although last year he was overhauled by Monfils in the fast conditions of Paris before the WTF masterclass.

Overhauled?? It was a close 3-set match all going to the tie-breaker and Federer too had match points in that. So he wasn't exactly overhauled in the fast conditions, was it?
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:52 pm

I did not mean anything by overhauled beyond saying that he was not able to make what one would normally expect to be his superiority on such a surface pay. As they all say, fast conditions can turn out to be a bit of a crap shoot.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Mayer was brilliant. He played variety and aggressive tennis and was the deserved winner. The weak era theory is rubbish. Tennis players can produce their best tennis till the age of 30. Melzer ha sproduced his finest of results in 30s, ferrero has started to play well again, fish has shown good form recently.
due to fitness demands youngsters are struggling to make an impact at the moment or it could be thier tennis as well. Nadal has always struggled at this time of the year so nothing new for him. If u look closely then most of his wins have come in the first half of the season and opposite could be said for Fed although Fed had dominated the years in row.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down