The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bell or Bairstow?

+5
Hoggy_Bear
skyeman
amanuensis
jbd349
msp83
9 posters

Go down

Bell or Bairstow?  Empty Bell or Bairstow?

Post by msp83 Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:34 pm

So the ODI series between India and England is just round the corner.
England are better placed than at any other point in recent history to effect a positive change to their pretty ordinary ODI record in India. at the eve of the match, the most interesting question for England is whether they go for Ian Bell or young Johny Bairstow. Bell, ever since that historic tour to South Africa, has been a rock of a batsman, producing test runs like a machine. Although he made a few decent contributions in ODIs in the same time, his overall ODI record is nothing great. Besides, Jonathan Trott, one of the most consistent England ODI batters of recent times, is just not fitting in at any other position other than at 3. That means Bell will have to bat down the order, and he hasnt shown enough of a power game that is required down the order, particularly in the sub-continent.
Bairstow meanwhile, has been a revelation, and his debut ODI innings was a real class act. Now he has followed that up with a steller effort in the practice game, scoring a hundred of just 53 balls.
One alternative suggestion is that England could go in with both of them, and leave the spinning all-rounder Samit Patel out of the 11. But then, England are already without Stuart Broad, and of course James Anderson, and not many of their young bowlers have enough of sub-continent experience. Also, Bopara, Pietersen, and Trott can't be expected to trouble the Indians much in their backyard.
A third option that has been suggested is to leave Kevin Pietersen out and go with a middle order of Tott, Bell, Bopara, Bairstow and Patel. I think that will be downright stupid. Pietersen at 50 % is a better ODI player than Bell, and KP has scored big in the India test series, and England should give him all opportunity to find his form in the ODI format as wwell, as he and the injured Eion Morgan are key to their ODI success.
I would go for Bairstow in pllace of Bell.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Bell or Bairstow?  Empty Re: Bell or Bairstow?

Post by jbd349 Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:53 pm

Agree with most of what you say and I would go in with that side, although I think it might be worth trying Bell opening with Cook and Bairdtow taking the gloves.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by amanuensis Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:58 pm

jbd349

If Cook & Bell were to open, then you wouldn't be able to send Trott out at three, at least on a typical subcontinental wicket.

amanuensis

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:01 pm

Both to play, and drop Trott.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:15 pm

Bairstow, with kieswetter wicket keeper.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:17 pm

Even as a fan of Bell, I'd say you've got to give Bairstow a go. Especially batting at 5 or 6.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:19 pm

jbd349 wrote:Agree with most of what you say and I would go in with that side, although I think it might be worth trying Bell opening with Cook and Bairdtow taking the gloves.
Craig Kieswetter has done a decent job at the top for England. He has had a good run in the CLT 20 as well. Unlike Bell, Kieswetter has a power game, and that is what England need at the top. Despite Cook's adaptability at the top in recent times, I just can't think of a top order of Bell, Cook and Trott.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by amanuensis Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:36 pm

Hoggy_Bear

Indeed - Bell is a top three batsman in limited overs cricket, who can just about get away with coming in at four. Any other position is a waste of his time & the team's. As I've pointed out on another thread, his international career in the shorter forms of the game is realistically over. In a sense, he's been desperately unlucky - that injury against Bangladesh basically robbed him of the opportunity to cement a place at three. It does though put Strauss in a potentially awkward position - with only the long form of the game left in play for him, I suspect Bell will be pushing more aggressively for promotion in the test batting order.

amanuensis

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:41 pm

Although Bell is not a slogger, he can still score quickly up front as he has brilliant timing and placement. IMO, he needs to bat top 4 or not play.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:11 pm

Bell with Bairstow instead of the deadweight at 4...

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:55 pm

Gregers wrote:Bell with Bairstow instead of the deadweight at 4...
Vintage Gregers!!, yet again!!.
I think KP will come good though.
And, how would you rationalize Bell over KP?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:08 pm

Bell, Trott and Cook cannot function in an ODI side especially on the subcontinent. If you add to that that Cook is the captain and Trott > Bell then I think its obvious who should be left out.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:58 pm

Agreed with about everyone, in that Cook, Trott, Bell and Bopara cannot all bat in the same top six. Factor in Patel at 7 who is another man who isn't a renowned six hitter, we can't afford to play them all. The logic has been shown already, Bopara will play at 6 as he is the man in form. And then Cook is skipper and Trott is better than Bell, Bell is the man to miss out. So logically, Bairstow comes in. I would prefer to see Buttler in that role, but what I have seen of Bairstow has been impressive so I have no qualms with him playing, he deserves a decent run in the side now. A top 6 of Cook, Kies, Trott, KP, Bopara, Bairstow/Buttler has a nice balance to it I think!

Gregers, I am dying to know the reasons why you despise KP so much! Please, I am desperate to know, haha!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:57 pm

I'll get an article up saying why I despise KP some day.

msp IMO Trott shouldn't be near the ODI side either and hecne Bell should be at 3.

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:16 pm

It will be the most eagerly anticipated article in V2 history. A truly landmark moment.

Trott > Bell in ODI's. Trott scores more runs and he scores them at a s/r of between 70/80 which is fine if other people are going fast around him. Bell has a similar strike rate, but doesn't score as many runs as Trott. Maybe this is due to him not batting high enough in the order, but Trott is the man in possession and plays ahead of Bell. for me.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:24 am

JDizzle wrote:Agreed with about everyone, in that Cook, Trott, Bell and Bopara cannot all bat in the same top six. Factor in Patel at 7 who is another man who isn't a renowned six hitter, we can't afford to play them all. The logic has been shown already, Bopara will play at 6 as he is the man in form. And then Cook is skipper and Trott is better than Bell, Bell is the man to miss out. So logically, Bairstow comes in. I would prefer to see Buttler in that role, but what I have seen of Bairstow has been impressive so I have no qualms with him playing, he deserves a decent run in the side now. A top 6 of Cook, Kies, Trott, KP, Bopara, Bairstow/Buttler has a nice balance to it I think!

Yeah with Morgan out that is quite likley what will be picked.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:39 pm

JDizzle wrote:, Gregers, I am dying to know the reasons why you despise KP so much! Please, I am desperate to know, haha!
Gregers loves KP!!!!!. He just can't take any failure from Pietersen.
I even doubt whether he is KP in disguise!!!!!!.
Gregers, the upcoming KP article is going to be the next big thing on these bords, of course after the article of the year on Bopara!!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down