The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NZ versus Australia- NZ side

+14
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Rob B
Pal Joey
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
IP75
Cymroglan
TheGreyGhost
Otagolad
emack2
disneychilly
Ozzy3213
kiakahaaotearoa
majesticimperialman
Taylorman
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

NZ versus Australia- NZ side Empty NZ versus Australia- NZ side

Post by Taylorman Thu 13 Oct 2011, 6:58 pm

http://www.allblacks.com/news/17771/All-Blacks-team-for-RWC-Semifinal-v-Wallabies-named

Predictable lineup:
Starting XV:

1. Tony Woodcock (81)
2. Keven Mealamu (90)
3. Owen Franks (29)
4. Samuel Whitelock (23)
5. Brad Thorn (57)
6. Jerome Kaino (46)
7. Richie McCaw – captain (101)
8. Kieran Read (34)
9. Piri Weepu (54)
10. Aaron Cruden (7)
11. Richard Kahui (15)
12. Ma’a Nonu (64)
13. Conrad Smith (53)
14. Cory Jane (29)
15. Israel Dagg (10)

Reserves:

16. Andrew Hore (60)
17. Ben Franks (14)
18. Ali Williams (71)
19. Victor Vito (12)
20. Andy Ellis (24)
21. Stephen Donald (22)
22. Sonny Bill Williams (12)

Some Kiwi's will cringe with the sight of Donald on the bench but now he's there we've just gotta get in and support him...
Ellis in front of Cowan on the bench. Good thing...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

NZ versus Australia- NZ side Empty Re: NZ versus Australia- NZ side

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 13 Oct 2011, 7:01 pm

Now is McCaw in or out?

I read somehwere that Matt Tod as been brought in th replace McCaw.
Is there any truth in that?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 13 Oct 2011, 7:05 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Now is McCaw in or out?

I read somehwere that Matt Tod as been brought in th replace McCaw.
Is there any truth in that?

Todd trained as opposition as he was in Auckland. Odd how the questions been asked and answered a million times. Larsen spent 5 minutes saying the same thing the other day. Its as though people prefer to hear something different...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 13 Oct 2011, 7:08 pm

No there isn´t. He was packing down in opposition to the AB scrum. Doesn´t hurt to keep him in the balance and it isn´t flouting the rules as you and I could be in the opposing scrum. You´re just not allowed to bring in outsiders to your own training line up.

Great to see Cowan not even on the bench. The poor guy is in terrible form. The return of Dagg and Kahui are very timely, Cruden looked more comfortable than Slade and that is a great pack. I am as confident as I can be with that team. Get the attitude right and they can win. kia kaha

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 13 Oct 2011, 7:09 pm

No real surprises there.

Am not sure about this one, my gut feeling is Australia to break All Blacks heart.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 13 Oct 2011, 7:15 pm

Agree Kia.
We were as confident before the 2007 match as well. Then when we lost all sorts of things came out- the conditioning, alternating teams etc.

If (for some odd reason Crying or Very sad ) we were to lose, what would be the faults likely to be raised against Henry, the team etc as at this point I don't see any and wouldn't have asked Henry to manage this any other way.

Just thinking of next year when I think we will have to go up against a very resurgent Boks side- last week something that had to happen for their side to mop up their issues under the bonnet.

I reckon a new look Bok culture is on the horizon and frankly it could be a very scary thing for all of us, such is the potential that's been held back last 3-4 years.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:19 pm

Yeah Taylorman I think Henry's been dealt some bad cards this tournament and he's dealing with them as best he can. Considering the circumstances that's exactly the 22 I'd want out on the field. Really glad Kahui and Dagg are back. That's a pretty damn good pack-the best we have. Pretty much that's the top team without DC. We know the Aussies have a few first choice players out too.

I also hope the Boks get their act together again. It's not good when potential greatness is stifled, I'd love to see them the best they can be. Not only is the rugby better, it also means we'd be playing bloody well if we beat them and that can only be a good thing.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:23 pm

Given the injuries,the most logical team including the bench.The continued absence of Thomson would give a valid reason for the selection of Matt Todd For him NOT McCaw.
I keep getting the media saying McCaw won`t start,a cripple ,weak link,not
playing well etc.
His play versus France and Argentina ,THE two big AB matches so far he was extremely good.
It may be he is not at his best,but on one leg he is better than most on two.
The Slade knockers,he was pretty good before two Argentina players decided he was a pair of scissors he`l be back.
Crudon had the advantage,he stepped straight into his Hurricanes line up,a little surprised Gear was`nt started for Kahui.
Kahui is a very good player but fragile[injury prone].Gear of course would fit straight in the lineup.
Ellis for Cowan I agree with but he has had very little game time in this RWC.
Overall the strongest possible side available,should be good to go.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:30 pm

The only thing I can say about the Boks considering the injury thing,despite
the breakdown bit.They did`nt look comfortable moving the ball .like England.
It was like the were`nt quite sure what to do,little pop passes to players standing still.
No attempt to strike from depth,it was like they were doing it by numbers.
it just did`nt seem natural.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:36 pm

Yes lucky for all of us SA backplay is by 3N standards generally poor in comparison. But they have better players out there. Its a culture thing and should they ever get to the stage where they can deploy an attacking backline like NZ's or even worse Oz, while retaining their forward powers we'd all be in deep deep do do.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:38 pm

I agree,

I don't believe there will be an AB's fan out there who would change one player in the starting 15, or even the 22 to be honest.

I think the pack is looking like the best in the world and easily the best left at the tournament with only Wales (and possibly France on their day) coming close.

As long as the gameplan is the same as the second half in Brisbane we'll be comfortable - remember, we were down by 20 in Brisbane and by using those tactics we got back to evens. That was away from home with Aus playing at their best - can't see Aus winning this week to be honest.

Henry will have them very focused on this game as it appears from reports re '07 that the AB's rested players and were focusing on the upcoming semi rather than the QF v France and came unstuck so he won't let that happen this time.

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:46 pm

In 2003 Australia targeted Justin Marshall for some off the ball illegalities that ended his world cup, and then late in the game pulled a rule technicality to move to uncontested scrums as the ABs pushed them around under their own posts.

We need to be honest here, Australians are underhanded and will stop at nothing to win.

Need more proof? Then look no further than the underarm cricket delivery when NZ needed an unlikely 6 to win.

Last week David Pocock rode naive Bryce Lawrence, reaching back to the criminal instincts of his ancestors, Pocock pulled the wool over Lawrence's eyes and bundled South Africa out of the cup with the most brazen display of overt daylight robbery since Bruce Reynolds borrowed a train.

History is literally littered with examples of Australian sporting mischief and the ABs have to be prepared for any eventuality.

This time NZ have a secret weapon. The fairest, most consistent referee in the world. I'm sure Mr Joubert will come to the party and continue his tour de force of rugby refereeing professionalism. There will be no "blindman" Barnes this time to help out the criminal element.

Beyond the kind of blatant cheating we've come to expect from Australians, they will target the 9/10 axis, undoubtably having spotted that Weepu likes to delay on the distribution and that Cruden likes the ball in hand. They'll test Kahui's pace and lack of experience on the wing.

Kia Kaha kiwis, it's within our grasp now. Strangle the ciminal element and let's set up the final this tournament deserves. It's time to settle decades of Australian sporting mischief with a decisive and focused display of our undoubted and unsurpassed talents.

A Wales v NZ final would pit the two most passionate and creative rugby nations on the planet against each other at the peaks of their respective powers.

Last edited by TheGreyGhost on Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:49 pm

I see the gloves are well and truly off now GG

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 13 Oct 2011, 9:00 pm

Geez GG you always have a dark side to looking at things...agree with the intent, your delivery as always holds nothing back.

I for one have a huge respect for the Oz approach to sport and if you search for them you'll always find an underarm bowl with any country somewhere.

Its their approach which makes it such a great tradition when we play them. Just glad I follow the one sport we can generally keep on top of them- there arent many...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 13 Oct 2011, 9:09 pm

On sports field the Taylorman, it's no doubt they're a formidable bunch, but we should remember their lack of humility in victory and their underhandedness in competition in general.

Be it David Campese playing with himself under the posts rather than face up to the Haka, they way they tried to steal Phar Lap, George Gregan's "four more years", Quade Cooper's knee to the head of Sir Richard, or those 60,000 fans at the SCG chanting "Hadlee's a W**ker" as they pipped us once again in yet another tediously predictable test match loss in that stupid girls game they're obsessed with, right through to the point they kidnapped Neil Finn and made him play his farewell gig on the steps of the Sydney Opera house.

We can't trust them, and we need to remember that at all times. That's all I'm saying.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 13 Oct 2011, 9:23 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15275623.stm

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by IP75 Thu 13 Oct 2011, 9:55 pm

So the NZ and Oz wums and fans are awake - good morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly what time are your teams announced?

IP75

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 13 Oct 2011, 10:01 pm

This has the capacity to being a huge match,cut away the mindgames and the pyschobabble.Craig Joubert is THE best Referee at this RWC,so BOTH sides need to adjust there game.
To what he will allow NOT at half time in the dressing rooms but as it happens on the field.
DON`T be mislead by players making obvous comments,like targeting players etc.
DON`T go on the field expecting a certain style of play,just adjust to what`s in front of you.
BOTH sides have players who can turn a game,it is a case of taking EVERY
scoring oppertunity.The side that does that the most will win,forget about hoodoo grounds or teams.
As Quade Cooper says"It does`nt matter if I have a good or bad game.as long as the team wins"
THAT`S knockout mentality,BOTH sides will be out to win at all costs legal or otherwise.
IF you think differently you are incredibly naive that has been the rule of thumb for the last 60 years of the Rugby of my experience.
I find it ironic that the Aussie Press were lauding Pococks performance at cheating,for the things they vilified McCaw for.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by IP75 Thu 13 Oct 2011, 10:10 pm

SBW on the bench - kind of surprised.

Like I said on the Oz chat room on Weds - good luck both but shake off the vitriol guys. I get it but it's a bit of a shame.

Anyway! Gat and the lads look forward to seeing one of you in the final. Smile

IP75

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:08 pm

Weakest bench I've seen for NZ in a long time. Ali Williams. I don't believe it.

Stephen Donald. Let's not even go there.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:09 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote: Quade Cooper's knee to the head of Sir Richard

Bit rich whinging about that when you have this guy in your own side https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpnIenTjXUU

Now I know what youll say there, if only the refs would clamp down on Richie killing the ball then this sort of thing wouldnt keep happeneing to him

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:13 pm

Mate, that was Paddy O'Brien sending him off.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:36 pm

emack2 wrote:T

I find it ironic that the Aussie Press were lauding Pococks performance at cheating,for the things they vilified McCaw for.

If you can't beat 'em... anyway...its not officially cheating Alan. There is a thing called a ref.
The ref is there to make sure things are done correctly.
Pocock is there to play the game.

If he were doing things incorrectly, he should have been penalised.

By not being penalised, logic says he can't be cheating, in fact, it is confirmation that he is doing things correctly.
That's how the system works.

Two huge matches coming up...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:46 pm

GG,you amaze me teams can only use what you have in the squad ,you have this thing about Ali Williams.
Andy Haden considers him THE best core lock in NZ Rugby,and is the equal of any likely Aussie Lock.
Donald who else is there within the squad,Flynn for Hore?,Toeva for SBW.?
Cowan for Ellis?with Thomson down Vito is the only option.
Afoa for Ben Franks no thanks.
I agree with you if you think Matt Todd should have been added to the squad.
Amaze me what bench would you have within this squad?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:50 pm

The one thing that could bite us in the foot (so to speak) is if we have a repeat of last week where effectively McCaw or his replacement is reduced to a spectator around Pocock when he should perhaps have been replaced. Its a call Henry's going to have to live with, as how can you play a full world cup semi and not train fully before it?

One of those things that can seem heroic beforehand, stupid and careless if it backfires, having known of the problem already. Head in the sand syndrome.

The good thing about last week is Pocock will not be as effective as the whole world has told Joubert to watch him. Trouble is it cost the SA's a place to highlight it.

I just hope its not a mess. Pocock and McCaw look two similar types in terms of their attitudes and outlook on things- get on with things without two much fuss.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:53 pm

Not strictly logical Mr Spock,Pocock played the Ref. not the rules that is a moot point.
Because he was `nt pinged does`nt mean he was`nt at it Lawrence did not police the Breakdown accordiing to IRB diktats for EITHER side.
Intelligent play by him good on him ALL 7s stretch the rules,but one gets
a little of McCheat ,but not admitting there teams are doing the same things.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:34 am

I see we've named our semi final team Smile

Australia:

15Kurtley Beale/Adam Ashley-Cooper,
14 James O'Connor,
13 Ashley-Cooper/Anthony Faingaa,
12 Pat McCabe,
11 Digby Ioane,
10 Quade Cooper,
9 Will Genia,
8 Radike Samo,
7 David Pocock,
6 Rocky Elsom,
5 James Horwill (capt),
4 Dan Vickerman,
3 Ben Alexander,
2 Stephen Moore,
1 Sekope Kepu.

Res:
16 Tatafu Polota-Nau,
17 James Slipper,
18 Rob Simmons,
19 Ben McCalman,
20 Luke Burgess,
21 Berrick Barnes,
22 Faingaa/Rob Horne.

Nice reading above GG. Laugh Very kind sentiments there...

Are you sure Pocock's ancestors weren't free settlers?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 14 Oct 2011, 3:36 am

Hi ya linebreaker
Arent we in for a ripper?
Doesnt get a lot bigger for us both.
You think oz can back up physically after last week.
From memory no nes beaten 2 3N sides back to back have they.
We've got no excuses. I think we've got you covered in most areas sp whp wanys it mpre plays a big part.
Fascinating. Same with Wales France.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Fri 14 Oct 2011, 3:49 am

Huge weekend in store - c'mon the AB's and go Wales. Couldn't think of a more fitting final between two of the cureent/historic greats

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 14 Oct 2011, 5:19 am

Yep.
So stresssssssssssed. Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Fri 14 Oct 2011, 5:34 am

This could well be the match of the tournament. W have an opp to show what they capable of - they have had an indifferent time since beating the ABs in the 3N. Pocock, Genia and Cooper all need to have strong games to make this a nail biter, otherwise the ABs mid field may well run riot if they have plenty of ball. It will be a test of patience and composure. If W prevail at Eden Park it will be their greatest ever victory. Let's hope the match is decided the way God intended it - by tries and not kicks.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:18 am

Yes Taylorman, we're in for a ripper.

I think the Wallabies can back up - but it will be a different style of game to last weeks. I'm hoping they can repeat the defensive effort but also make more use of the ball and try and dictate play more. If the Wallabies can get some sort of parity in the set pieces then I think we will see an intense contest.

The ABs are still very dangerous even without Carter. The McCaw-Pocock match-up will be very interesting to watch. As you say, whoever wants it more will prevail. One of either the Eden Park record or RWC record will fall - can't wait for this one!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 14 Oct 2011, 9:07 am

Linebreaker wrote:I see we've named our semi final team Smile

Are you sure Pocock's ancestors weren't free settlers?

True, there weren't too many convicts transported to Zimbabwe Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Fri 14 Oct 2011, 9:09 am

TheGreyGhost wrote: right through to the point they kidnapped Neil Finn and made him play his farewell gig on the steps of the Sydney Opera house.

Enjoy reading your posts GG, but that line really made me laugh. I was there at the gig, and I think Neil himself rather bowed out at the Opera house than back in NZ, was a much better party!!!

Good luck to your lot Sunday, and may the better side on the day win.

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 14 Oct 2011, 9:10 am

That's right mate. We like our African connections. Very Happy Cat notworthy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 14 Oct 2011, 9:13 am

OzT wrote:
TheGreyGhost wrote: right through to the point they kidnapped Neil Finn and made him play his farewell gig on the steps of the Sydney Opera house.

Enjoy reading your posts GG, but that line really made me laugh. I was there at the gig, and I think Neil himself rather bowed out at the Opera house than back in NZ, was a much better party!!!

Good luck to your lot Sunday, and may the better side on the day win.

I was at 2 Erm warning Erm warning out of the 3 gigs he mentioned... Right, that's 2 warnings I must give myself...

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 14 Oct 2011, 9:14 am

Linebreaker wrote:That's right mate. We like our African connections. Very Happy Cat notworthy
Very Happy

Roll on Sunday, should be a great match. I'm going to be watching it with a South African mate at a pub in Borough.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Fri 14 Oct 2011, 9:16 am

Who will your mate be barracking for kiwireddevil?????????

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 14 Oct 2011, 9:28 am

OzT wrote:Who will your mate be barracking for kiwireddevil?????????

To be honest, I haven't asked him yet. Will let you know. Though as he's a nice South African (they do exist, honest*) he'll probably answer NZ if I ask, Wallabies if an Aussie asks.

* If Biltong's reading, I'd like to add that as far as I know nice South Africans are plentiful, even if no-one's introduced them to Spitting Image's songwriters.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Fri 14 Oct 2011, 9:34 am

There'll be plenty of trans-tasman rivalry Sunday with the semi final following the league test match. Wouldn't I love us to put 2 over the kiwi's that day.

I don't know if the wobblies can defend like that again in the space of a week, there's bound to be some sore bodies running around out there. To have any sort of realistic chance we're going to need at least 50% of the pill this time and be a lot smarter about how we use it.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 14 Oct 2011, 9:35 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:
OzT wrote:Who will your mate be barracking for kiwireddevil?????????

To be honest, I haven't asked him yet. Will let you know. Though as he's a nice South African (they do exist, honest*) he'll probably answer NZ if I ask, Wallabies if an Aussie asks.

* If Biltong's reading, I'd like to add that as far as I know nice South Africans are plentiful, even if no-one's introduced them to Spitting Image's songwriters.

Did you meet them after they had emigrated to Paris?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:31 am

Crikey I’m nervous about this game. One thing I ask, not through arrogance or anything, is that please can the All Blacks have this game won by halftime? PLEASE! As I say, it’s not through arrogance. My son’s team which I coach starts at 10.30 but they usually arrive at 10.15 so I have to be set up ready to go for their matches. Inevitably, I will miss probably the last 20 mins. So……

Dear God

I’m a big AB’s fan, and seeing as your son (Richie) is on the team could you please make sure that the boat is pushed out before halftime, thus ensuring the lead is too big for any Australian comeback. I’m thinking a Dunedin 1997 situation here (36-0 ht/36-24 ft if you recall – you probably do). I’ll take that thanks!

Yours,

Chewed_Mintie

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:39 am

All Blacks lost 3 matches to Australia out of 4, 2000-2002 .Two back to back
in NZ 2001-2.
Those were the last time Aus won in NZ,last two losses have been away
Bledisloe matches.
RWC is of course difference,Kurtley Beale has been picked but may still not
play.
The SF of a RWC is the last place you want player who may breakdown.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:45 am

emack2 wrote:All Blacks lost 3 matches to Australia out of 4, 2000-2002 .Two back to back
in NZ 2001-2.
Those were the last time Aus won in NZ,last two losses have been away
Bledisloe matches.
RWC is of course difference,Kurtley Beale has been picked but may still not
play.
The SF of a RWC is the last place you want player who may breakdown.

McCaw?

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:59 am

One thing we must do is start well. The times where we´ve lost against Australia in recent times, we´ve given easy points early in the game and let them get some confidence. We myust be ruthless and give them nothing and shell shock them much like France. If we can get an early roll on, we have a pack that can control the game. Up the guts right from the outset and use those battering rams like Kaino and Nonu, the brute force of Thorn Woodcock and Franks and the burrowing of Mealamu (he only stands four foot above the ground but he can curl himself into a bowling ball which can skittle the defenders in front of him). When we break the line then we can find space out wide and use the big man Kahui or the fender that is Jane.

Get agro! Feel the rage. Haka them off the ball. kia kaha

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:03 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:and the burrowing of Mealamu (he only stands four foot above the ground but he can curl himself into a bowling ball which can skittle the defenders in front of him

haha, reminds me of the fat kid from the movie Hook, who rolls down the gangway knocking over the pirates...ahem

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:27 pm

chewed_mintie wrote:
haha, reminds me of the fat kid from the movie Hook, who rolls down the gangway knocking over the pirates...ahem

You're doing it Peter!!! Ah I loved that movie.

McCaw's right during the game it's after when he has trouble. It's kitchen sink time though-what if he saved himself for the final and we lost? He'd never forgive himself.

How's the weather in Aucklalofa? If we had DC's kicking game I'd say we had an advantage in the wet but am not so sure now. I don't think Samo would get a runaway with a fully fit Kaino hitting him instead of an injured Thomson. Vito on the bench may be more beneficial than Thomson though if the play becomes more lateral.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:33 pm

Kaino could be key. He won't let Samo get up to any highjinks. Neither will Read.

The way I see it we can win by:

1. Secure our ball
2. Apply pressure at scrum time
3. Dominate the ruck
4. Win lineouts, pressure theirs
5. Pressure Genia
6. Pressure on Genia will put pressure on Quade
7. When McCabe runs, hold him up in the tackle like the Irish did = scrum ABs
8. Convert any chances
9. Kick our points

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:41 pm

I'd add finding touch to that list Mintie. Cooper slinking off to the wing isn't just because he can't tackle it's because he and Beale can launch two-pronged counterattacks and if the Aussies get quick ball off the ensuing ruck it means the other can come into play. Our lineout has been pretty good actually. We also need to keep talking to the ref at scrum time because Australia are masters of getting away with inferiority there. Get the stability first once the hit's taken place, then shove them off it.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:46 pm

Disney, you’re right about the scrum. I think it was two years ago when we played them in the 3N at home, first scrum they walked us back about 2-3 mtrs and drew a penalty. The Aussie forward pack were a whoopin an’ a hollerin’ on that effort and for the next 70 odd minutes were again made to look like little boys. I can see that sort of thing happening again, false sense of security and WHAM! (Owen Franks won’t be pelting them with careless whisper btw)

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next