The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHO WAS THE WORST BRITISH WORLD CHAMPION??

+12
The Galveston Giant
KO-KING
Scottrf
zx1234
88Chris05
Youarethegreatest
Union Cane
Michaels, Sean
samevans1
Colonial Lion
Daz
TRUSSMAN66
16 posters

Go down

WHO WAS THE WORST BRITISH WORLD CHAMPION?? Empty WHO WAS THE WORST BRITISH WORLD CHAMPION??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 11:39 am

Whatever I say about Khan at least he is a half decent champion compared to some who have held that distinction on this great Island..........

Davison, Pyatt and Enzo need due consideration but for me the worst champion by a mile has to be the legendary GLENN MCCRORY!! A poor trialhorse if ever there was one..

Funny to see him as the font of all knowledge on SKY..........

Am I wrong is their a better candidate??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

WHO WAS THE WORST BRITISH WORLD CHAMPION?? Empty Re: WHO WAS THE WORST BRITISH WORLD CHAMPION??

Post by Daz Wed 02 Mar 2011, 11:44 am

Gotta say - Gavin Rees was hardly world class despite having a strap.

Daz

Back to top Go down

WHO WAS THE WORST BRITISH WORLD CHAMPION?? Empty Re: WHO WAS THE WORST BRITISH WORLD CHAMPION??

Post by Colonial Lion Wed 02 Mar 2011, 12:09 pm

Glenn McCrory was just the by product of this multi belt era. To call him a world champion is insulting to the fine champions before him and the fine fighters that didnt have a choice of numerous titles to fight for. That Glenn McCrory could call himself a world champion is all thats wrong with boxing now.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 1:29 pm

Gavin Rees was fairly pony to be fair.

Michael Bentt was also quite rudey poo; another product of too many belts!

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 1:30 pm

Haha, this thing changes swear words into other words!

Entertaining!

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 02 Mar 2011, 1:32 pm

Re: WHO WAS THE WORST BRITISH WORLD CHAMPION??
by samevans1 Today at 1:30 pm

Haha, this thing changes swear words into other words!

Entertaining!
-------------------
Sausage Swallower
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 02 Mar 2011, 1:33 pm

awfully sorry mate, i was just testing the theory.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 02 Mar 2011, 1:35 pm

Thanks for that Michaels.

Nice glass of ice cold water, straight out of the cooler...

...straight up me nose.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Youarethegreatest Wed 02 Mar 2011, 1:37 pm

Are we considering the iba,wbu,wbf type titles? if so I believe audley would be the worst

Youarethegreatest

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 02 Mar 2011, 1:45 pm

who changed it to sausage swallower?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 1:52 pm

No offense taken, you Poopie eating Kumquat!

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 1:53 pm

Gavin Rees in recent years. And he's a complete Kumquat by the sounds of it as well.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 1:54 pm

--

Last edited by samevans1 on Wed 02 Mar 2011, 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bad language!)

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 1:55 pm

Haha, that one doesn't get changed, better delete it before I get modded!

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 7:30 pm

Johnny Nelson had more title defences at one weight than any other english fighter ( I think)

which is slightly worrying

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 02 Mar 2011, 7:39 pm

zx1234 wrote:Johnny Nelson had more title defences at one weight than any other english fighter ( I think)
Joe Calzaghe (Born London, England).

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Wed 02 Mar 2011, 8:10 pm

Herbie hide?
Gavin Reese?

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 02 Mar 2011, 10:32 pm

Youarethegreatest wrote:Are we considering the iba,wbu,wbf type titles? if so I believe audley would be the worst

Agreed Audley takes it
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by man_utd9 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 10:54 pm

angel

man_utd9

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 03 Mar 2011, 1:04 am

samevans1 wrote:Gavin Rees was fairly pony to be fair.

Michael Bentt was also quite rudey poo; another product of too many belts!

I think Bentt's quite underrated. His amateur career was stellar and he KO'd Morrison in one round. Took Lennox much longer to KO a more shopworn version of The Duke. Bentt also could've improved alot but had to retire because of head injury from the Dancing Destroyer. He was only 24, not really fair to judge based on that amount of evidence.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by GeoffSnapes Thu 03 Mar 2011, 1:58 pm

Gavin Rees stands out. I don't think he's even euro level.

How good a boxer are you?

GeoffSnapes

http://www.konkura.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu 03 Mar 2011, 2:11 pm

His amateur career was stellar and he KO'd Morrison in one round. Took Lennox much longer to KO a more shopworn version of The Duke.

-------------------------

Although that probably tells you more about Morrison than it does about Bentt.
The glass-jawed duke leaves himself wide open looking for a 1st round KO but gets countered by the fortunate Bentt

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 03 Mar 2011, 2:34 pm

Somebody had to throw the punches, nobody calls Ali "fortunate" against Foreman.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu 03 Mar 2011, 5:59 pm

Somebody had to throw the punches, nobody calls Ali "fortunate" against Foreman

-----------------------

Bentt-Morrison is far more comparable to Khan-Precott than it is to Ali-Foreman. Of course there was an strong element of good fortune about it.
The over-confident, firm favourite is reckless and gets caught cold in the first minute of the fight by the underdog. Unable to recover, he ends up suffering a shock loss.
Bentt proved it was a fluke by being unable to achieve anything worthwhile afterwards. The fact he was comfortably beaten in his first defence by Hide (himself considered to be a poor champion) just strengthens the common belief that Bentt was possibly the worst HW champion of all time.
He is also a strong candidate for the OP's question.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 03 Mar 2011, 9:28 pm

Well I can see what you mean, but Morrison opened up on plenty of guys with reckless abandon and it worked so it's not as easy you make it sound (or Bentt made it look) and Bentt only had 13 fights. I don't think it's enough time to judge his ability on. The fact that he took a belt in that time is pretty impressive in itself, I wouldn't bet on Chisora beating Haye in his 12th fight.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down