The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales - Reflecting on the world cup

+3
Seagultaf
kultschar
Knowsit17
7 posters

Go down

Wales - Reflecting on the world cup  Empty Wales - Reflecting on the world cup

Post by Guest Sat 15 Oct 2011, 2:48 pm

Although it still isn't over I thought it would be nice to try and reflect on the world cup as a whole rather than continue the discussion on whether or not we should have won that semi final.

Having had time to get over the loss, I've been collecting my thoughts about how much this young group of players have improved since the 6 nations. Lets not forget how much of an impact these players have had, for the first time in years we have had the balance right, a strong defence, clinical attack and actual control at fly half, I never thought I'd see the day where Rhys Priestland would actually be missed.

Before the world cup most would have written off Wales given our performances in the 6nations and the long losing streak of 2010, but this young squad not only exceeded expectations, they did it with style, showing bravery and dedication, they wanted to play rugby and it showed. I don't think anyone could realistically have asked any more from this group of players, and I believe they will only improve from here.

Positives to take from this world cup:
1. We can compete with the best
2. Our fitness has improved dramatically
3. Unearthed new talent in Scott Williams, Toby Faleatau and Rhys Priestland
4. We are learning to control the game
5. Our mentality has improved

Areas that need improvement:
1. Discipline
2. Better squad depth
3. Lacking the cutting edge to finally close the game off against the top team
4. Missed kicks that proved costly

Back to top Go down

Wales - Reflecting on the world cup  Empty Re: Wales - Reflecting on the world cup

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 15 Oct 2011, 2:55 pm

Discipline? After one crazy moment which really didn't reflect the pattern of the campaign up until that point?

Full on agree with .3 of negatives though. We were arguably the better side against each opposition team we faced in this WC and if we can dominate areas of the game with 14 men then we should be able to make it count. We need that extra composure and consistency.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Wales - Reflecting on the world cup  Empty Re: Wales - Reflecting on the world cup

Post by Guest Sat 15 Oct 2011, 2:56 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Discipline? After one crazy moment which really didn't reflect the pattern of the campaign up until that point? .

Nah, we did give away a lot of penalties in the earlier games, some not as costly as others

Back to top Go down

Post by kultschar Sat 15 Oct 2011, 3:00 pm

Kicks Kicks Kicks

This is what cost us dearly against South Africa and France and also would have put Ireland to bed earlier.

In saying that I think every nation has had kicking problems to some extent

kultschar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Oct 2011, 3:11 pm

I wrote this without even mentioning Sam Warburton, who has been inspirational during the world cup effort, he should definitely retain the captaincy, the players respect him and he leads by example on and off the field.

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 15 Oct 2011, 3:17 pm

IronMike wrote:I wrote this without even mentioning Sam Warburton, who has been inspirational during the world cup effort, he should definitely retain the captaincy, the players respect him and he leads by example on and off the field.

No doubt about that, hopefully he'll learn from it and improve further in the long term as some have said. I still say the red card was a farce though.

I just don't want to see us take another 24+ years before giving ourselves another chance as good as this...

We need to hit the ground running at the 6N and focus on the continuation of developing talent in every position. You can never have too much strength in depth. 4 years of hard work ahead.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 15 Oct 2011, 7:20 pm

You can argue all day about whether it deserved a red card but it was a rash and dangerous tackle by Warburton which cost Wales a place in the World Cup Final!

He should be setting an example for his team, you cannot be serious in saying he should retain the captaincy. If Rees if fit and playing well enough, he should regain the captaincy for the 6N. Allow Warburton to concentrate on his game at no 7.

No doubt that Wales have stepped up a level, and now are close to the Southern Hemisphere big three. Final lesson learnt is that Hook may think he is a 10, but he is wrong!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 15 Oct 2011, 8:04 pm

I don't think our depth is that bad really overall, T/Head and 2nd row still worry me beyond whose involved in the squad at the moment.

Discipline isn't to big of a worry I don't think but maybe we have to be a bit more streetwise so to speak.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sat 15 Oct 2011, 8:09 pm

IronMike wrote:I wrote this without even mentioning Sam Warburton, who has been inspirational during the world cup effort, he should definitely retain the captaincy, the players respect him and he leads by example on and off the field.

i totally agree. I hope no one decides he should lose it because of this but it is a small possibility, if Rees returns, that he could lose it

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sat 15 Oct 2011, 8:14 pm

Rees is okay but Bennett raised his game well until the throwing went awry in the semi and both are of similar overall standard.

Need to find some new talent at No.2.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Oct 2011, 8:34 pm

Casartelli wrote:Rees is okay but Bennett raised his game well until the throwing went awry in the semi and both are of similar overall standard.

Need to find some new talent at No.2.

Was hoping Ken Owens would get some more time

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 15 Oct 2011, 8:41 pm

There are plenty of lads stepping up and showing their talent in the premiership...

Great to hear Andrew Hore of the ospreys saying that he Agrees with Gatland that the Welsh squad should be allowed more time together.

It made a big difference having three months in training and playing together.

Maybe we can extend the one or two week get togethers by a bit more pre internationals.

Also Gatland needs to instil a physical fitness standard throughout welsh rugby from the bottom up.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down