The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top moments

+21
aucklandlaurie
rumpelstiltskindoh
red_stag
welshy824
Taylorman
wales606
mystiroakey
George Carlin
Metal Tiger
chewed_mintie
EnglishReign
Feckless Rogue
Comfort
Nos na Gaoithe
Bitter Beer
Glas a du
walesworldcup
Cari
rodders
Cardiff Taffy
kiakahaaotearoa
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Top moments Empty Top moments

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:15 pm

I remember a play from yesterday. Not sure who the Wallaby was, but Richie McCaw finds himself in what could be described as a 69 position on said anonymous player. He swivels over and whilst he´s falling to the ground, he somehow strips the ball and then falls on the ground laying it back perfectly. It was like Legolas mounting the horse in Two Towers from the ground. You know what you´ve seen is impossible but you want to believe it was possible.

Another moment was when Genia had the ball and then Richie drove him back a few metres. A crucial play stopping any mischief from a dangerous player. It was only surpassed by Conrad Smith. I remember him in the pool match against France twice driving back a player an astonishing distance. One time he was assisted by Kaino (he too has provided some memorable moments. That intervening tackle on Ioane was crucial) that makes it easier to believe but for such a normal looking guy (no ropey veins or neck muscles that belong in a Hulk movie) he can be punishing on defence.

So what have been some of those individual moments that have stood out for you this World Cup for your team?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Top moments Empty Re: Top moments

Post by Cardiff Taffy Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:18 pm

Gethin Jenkins try against Namibia...a prop with a side-step. Classic.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:19 pm

I bet he said it was a 50m sprint to the line with some jinking footwork at the end. OK

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:28 pm

Halfpenny's break vs Samoa and adjusting his scrum cap mid flight stepping over attempted tackles

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:37 pm

For me two moments stand head and shoulders above the others:

Stephen Ferris picking up Genia from the scrum and driving him backwards, bowling over a shell shocked O'Connor in the process and winning the tournover a few metres from the wallaby line. Feckin amazing stuff from a guy we though might never play again a few weeks previously. It was the moment I knew there was something special on.

Secondly Tommy Bowe intercepting Coopers pass on 77min, when it looked a certain Wallaby try and running 90 metres up the pitch was amazing too. Even though O'Connor tackled him into touch it didn't matter as it was the final nail in Australia's coffin. I had tears in my eyes.

The Australia game seems such a distant memory now and ultimately it didn't amount to anything as we lost to Wales in the QF but that was a great day for us and I'll never forget those two moments. guinness

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:38 pm

Good stuff rodders. Keep it green, keep the dream. All the best in the 6N and the tour to NZ. guinness

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:43 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Good stuff rodders. Keep it green, keep the dream. All the best in the 6N and the tour to NZ. guinness

OK Thanks Kia. It will be a tough road back for us, especially the old guard. Hopefully we can come back from this and have a strong 6N and get a long overdue win over the ABs (and World champs Wink).

Good luck in the final guinness

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:45 pm

3 tests you´ve got your best chance of doing that mate with a few retirements or off-shore bank accounts set up next year.

Cheers for the best wishes. Won´t be far from the toilet all week though...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:48 pm

Gethin Jenkins run and try against Namibia
Warburton shoving Jamie Heaslip into touch against Ireland.
Mike Phillips try against France.

..I've got some other favourite moments, but they're not Welsh ones. Someone will probably do a RWC moments thread next week anyway Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:51 pm

I think I can guess your non-Welsh ones Cari.

Tommy Bowe on the slow motion camera with that 80 m sprint. SBW getting his shirt changed and having it peeled over his body. Kahui scoring a hat-trick and those slow motion replays... Very Happy

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:54 pm

Kia - Yes to Tommy's run but just cause it was class, and one of the things I love watching him do - running like a loony down the wing. Run

There was a great streaker at one match - I think it might've been an All Blacks game, but I can't remember which one. He's was entertaining Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:55 pm

Kia if I had a pound for everytime I've heard we have our best chance to beat the AB's, then.....well... I'd probably have about a fiver.....but in good Irish tradition sure there's no harm in giving it another lash! Leprechaun
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:57 pm

But normally you get only one chance mate. Now you have 3. Less pressure to get it right the first time and you´ll be able to learn from any mistakes. Then you could play like you did against Australia and you´ll win first up!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:02 pm

True Kia it is a good opportunity. I think to be honest this is the last big target for O'Driscoll, O'Connell etc. they won't make another RWC so they've won everything else they can win.

A 1st win over the AB's would be a massive thing for us, better than another GS maybe and a great way for someone like BOD to sign off.

Anyway 1st things 1st make sure McCaw lifts the RWC this time FFS! guinness

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by walesworldcup Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:04 pm

That McCaw tackle where he jumped on his back like a rabid squirrel aas the best thing I've ever seen.

walesworldcup

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:05 pm

Lydiate's tackle on SOB - all of them.

An Aussie forward finding McCaw's head on the bottom of a ruck and rubbing it into the floor.

Faletau's breaks - all of them.

The French tries against England, both of them.

Argentina's try against New Zealand - try of the tournament so far.

Cruden's break - a nation sighs a breath of relief, the guy can play.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:13 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I remember a play from yesterday. Not sure who the Wallaby was, but Richie McCaw finds himself in what could be described as a 69 position on said anonymous player. He swivels over and whilst he´s falling to the ground, he somehow strips the ball and then falls on the ground laying it back perfectly. It was like Legolas mounting the horse in Two Towers from the ground. You know what you´ve seen is impossible but you want to believe it was possible.

For those that want to see it:

https://i.imgur.com/wanUS.gif

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:14 pm

That was really dangerous play, should have been a red card.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Bitter Beer Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:18 pm

Glas a du wrote:Lydiate's tackle on SOB - all of them.

An Aussie forward finding McCaw's head on the bottom of a ruck and rubbing it into the floor.

Faletau's breaks - all of them.

The French tries against England, both of them.

Argentina's try against New Zealand - try of the tournament so far.

Cruden's break - a nation sighs a breath of relief, the guy can play.

Alain Roland's decisions - all of them

Whistle

Bitter Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nos na Gaoithe Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:18 pm

1. Ferris manhandling Ginea.

2. Shane Williams holding up SOB's drive over the line (knew it was gonna be a tough day from that moment!)

3. Contepome's tap pass setting up the Argie try against the ABs

4. SBW's inch-perfect offload in one of the early games while being tackled and just 3 inches from slamming into the ground.

5. McCaw's wildcat impression and the blood spurting forth everywhere during the Oz-NZ semi.

Nos na Gaoithe

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:19 pm

Stop sticking up for the wee man, he's French!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:41 pm

Jamie Roberts sitting DOC down.

Lydiates defensive line-speed in every game I watched (is it weird that I was literally excited about seeing how quick he could get off the line?)

Tonga beating France, you could see how much it meant to them.

Medards side-burns - all of them.

Shane Williams "limpet" like defence against Ireland, for about 4 minutes he was everywhere, under SOB and the ball, launching himself at the Irish forwards picking and driving and then actually catapulting himself at the irish 3/4s and causing scrappy ball. Brilliant little fella.

Halfpenny's dodge under 3 samoans and adjust his headgear whilst out-sprinting another Samoan was hilarious.

Luke Charteris - he reminds me of an octopus, he gets those arms and legs in some strange places in rucks. Hes like stretch armstrong.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:43 pm

My favourite moment was when Tonga were defending their try line against France and gave away a penalty. Tongan front row Sona Taumalolo started urging the French to go for a scrum and then starting screaming with joy when they elected to do so. Brilliant.

link

Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:45 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:My favourite moment was when Tonga were defending their try line against France and gave away a penalty. Tongan front row Sona Taumalolo started urging the French to go for a scrum and then starting screaming with joy when they elected to do so. Brilliant.

link

Good call that was AWESOME!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:48 pm

Tuilagi running through players like they weren't there.

Ashton's last minute winner v Scotland.

Nigel Owens telling the Samoan hooker "What part of "wait" don't you understand?!"

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:49 pm

Kia – that nick, if it hasn’t already been said, was on Anthony Faingaa. Defied belief. It would have been the best steal in history had in not been during advantage for a NZ knock on!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:57 pm

Martin Johnson growling at the trash journo from the daily mirror "Rugby player drinks beer... shocker!"
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:14 pm

Lievremont's disasterous 'inbred lovechild of Zorro and a used car salesman' 'tache was a highlight for me.

That and the the Euripedes play that accompanied the entire French team.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:37 pm

The Lievremont thing was funny. Admit it wasn't a top moment for me, but seeing him look like a man deranged after France went 16-0 up did make me laugh. He looked like Salvador Dali on crack.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:46 pm

its been abit of a horrid world cup in fairness.

the kiwis semed to devalue it masisvely by blackmailing the IRB during there home WC!!!

the press went nuts stalking the english team

the french have got through playing the most uninspiring rugby of all time.

the kiwis have got through without getting out of first gear.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 17 Oct 2011, 5:19 pm

1) Halfpenny ducking under 3 tacklers and sprinting up the wing adjusting his headguard to help score the try vs Samoa

2) Jamie Roberts running...at anyone

3) Mike Phillips try x2

4) Isreal Dagg's flick pass to score the try against Aus - Beautiful

5) Argentina try vs NZ
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 17 Oct 2011, 6:03 pm

roddersm wrote:True Kia it is a good opportunity. I think to be honest this is the last big target for O'Driscoll, O'Connell etc. they won't make another RWC so they've won everything else they can win.

A 1st win over the AB's would be a massive thing for us, better than another GS maybe and a great way for someone like BOD to sign off.

hi rodders
Ive thought for some time Ireland will win at least one of those 3 next year.
We'll be rebuilding with a new coach and players and 3-0 is not that easy to do unless theres a huge gulf between the two.
Love to see them get it here.
Does us no good to keep winning those and ireland are well overdue.
Whats the situation with young players coming through?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Mon 17 Oct 2011, 6:28 pm

for wales- gethins try - it was 40metres actually Wink
phillips finish against ireland= how did he do that?!?!?!
shane v o'brien
roberts running over ireland Wink

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 17 Oct 2011, 8:19 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I remember a play from yesterday. Not sure who the Wallaby was, but Richie McCaw finds himself in what could be described as a 69 position on said anonymous player. He swivels over and whilst he´s falling to the ground, he somehow strips the ball and then falls on the ground laying it back perfectly. It was like Legolas mounting the horse in Two Towers from the ground. You know what you´ve seen is impossible but you want to believe it was possible.

Another moment was when Genia had the ball and then Richie drove him back a few metres. A crucial play stopping any mischief from a dangerous player. It was only surpassed by Conrad Smith. I remember him in the pool match against France twice driving back a player an astonishing distance. One time he was assisted by Kaino (he too has provided some memorable moments. That intervening tackle on Ioane was crucial) that makes it easier to believe but for such a normal looking guy (no ropey veins or neck muscles that belong in a Hulk movie) he can be punishing on defence.

So what have been some of those individual moments that have stood out for you this World Cup for your team?

Thorns punching the air after destroying the Oz scrum... a true moment of success for the pack, who have carried this team through thick and thin for years. Ran through my blood and at that point turned the page of a lot of years for me...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 17 Oct 2011, 9:36 pm

Yeah he was immense Taylorman. Everybody in the pack had a blinder. Need another focused effort like that on Sunday and we´ll be sweet.

Horror moments must be Carter and Mils out. The poor buggers don´t even get World Cup medals if we win on Sunday. Slade´s injury was probably a blessing. Cruden has surprised me at how well he has fit in. That drop goal was a sweet moment for him.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 17 Oct 2011, 9:44 pm

Cruden was in brilliant form for Manawatu the last match I think during pool play and had I think a near 90% goalkicking rate by season end. Had been told to work on that and his length by Henry last year and did exactly that- how good is that!

And as we know he has a gift for the gap and short pass. Slade is still young and outside a World cup pressure year will get the time he needs to build properly rather than being thrown in it.

Carter and Mils set the standard so are still an integral part of the side and what the medal stands for- in the end that's just a piece of tin- we and the players know better. Hard to feel sorry for them really- they have had the best of lives up until now...and will keep doing so.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 17 Oct 2011, 9:49 pm

Yeah but you´d want them there at the end. It was Mils´last RWC and Carter might not get another chance. I hope he does though.

Some of those hits on our boys like McCaw from the Argentinians were brutal. I can´t recall such big hits on our forwards and a win for our boys. They were awesome on defence. Kaino knows how to hit but they were brutally effective as well.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 17 Oct 2011, 9:52 pm

I was very impressed with Tonga v NZ. They got pummelled in the first half and came back into it in second half, heads held high. They gained superiority up front and for an admittedly brief period were in full control of the ball with NZ powerless to do anything but defend.

I've seen lots of teams hold out for 60 minutes before folding. Tonga leaked several first half tries but came back into it. thats a lot harder.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rumpelstiltskindoh Mon 17 Oct 2011, 10:54 pm

Charteris' face as he came into a lineout about 15 minutes from the end of the game against France. He looked ill from exhaustion and effort.

Thirty seconds later, he's making another thumping tackle.

Just for a moment, I wanted to have his children.

rumpelstiltskindoh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 17 Oct 2011, 11:02 pm

Taylorman wrote:
roddersm wrote:True Kia it is a good opportunity. I think to be honest this is the last big target for O'Driscoll, O'Connell etc. they won't make another RWC so they've won everything else they can win.

hi rodders
Ive thought for some time Ireland will win at least one of those 3 next year.
We'll be rebuilding with a new coach and players and 3-0 is not that easy to do unless theres a huge gulf between the two.
Love to see them get it here.
Does us no good to keep winning those and ireland are well overdue.
Whats the situation with young players coming through?

Hi Taylorman,

Yeah I don't know, I would hope that we could win 1 test at least but that will anything but easy and the smart money would be on 3-0 to the AB's. I think Ireland will have most of the same players as most of the older guys are contracted until 2013 and about 2/3s of the side are in their 20's. There are a lot of talented young guys coming through in all the provinces but I think only a few will be ready by next season. Can't wait and hopefully we will be able to push you guys and get a long overdue win.

Back on topic that Brad Thorn fist in the air moment was awesome.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 17 Oct 2011, 11:12 pm

The look on Manu Tuilagi's face, in that photo a week or so ago in the NZ Herald,As he's climbing back up onto Princes wharf and he sees the big polynesian security guard waiting for him.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 22 Oct 2011, 2:21 pm

Halfpenny's try after 30 odd phases in injury time is up there.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 22 Oct 2011, 2:37 pm

Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino dances his way down the touchline to score a magical last minute try that wins the game for Argentina against Scotland was superb for me.

Sukanaivalu Hufanga brushing past Bonnaire to score for Tonga against France. Aleka Lutui getting incredibly psyched for a scrum just seconds before the final whistle even though the game was already won and France were just fighting for pride. Anything Tongan from that game; we were all Tongan then.

Stephen Ferris taking Will Genia for a walk. Does 'metres run with the ball' include 'metres run with the halfback with the ball'?

Julio Cabello going through the ruck to give Argentina the lead over the All Blacks in the quarter-final after a sweeping move involving Senatore, Contepomi and Rodriguez.

Shane Williams somehow finding a way to hold up the ball after a Sean O'Brien charge. Nothing he's done in his career compares to that for me.

Wave after wave of French defenders smashing Wales' ball carriers back in the tackle again and again in the dying moments to make the drop goal impossible to set-up and seal an ugly but hard-fought for and ultimately deserved win and a place in the Final.

Halfpenny crossing the tryline after some superb build-up play to show the world what his team are all about, despite the game being gone. Massive pride in themselves.

The atmosphere during the Haka tomorrow morning.

Richie McCaw lifting the trophy tomorrow morning.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 22 Oct 2011, 2:41 pm

Agree with all of those Notch.

Lydiate dumping the Aussie number 8 on his Harries (albeit they scored shortly after).
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 23 Oct 2011, 11:09 am

Well for me from the final

Donald's penalty

Trinh-Duc's breaks

And both tries.

To be fair the final as a whole.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Oct 2011, 11:14 am

Glas a du wrote:Well for me from the final

Donald's penalty

Trinh-Duc's breaks

And both tries.

To be fair the final as a whole.

Those were the ONLY moments to be fair

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 23 Oct 2011, 11:23 am

Chris Ashton's 6 tries - especially the ones accompanied by a swan dive. Equal top try scorer and did so at a better rate than Clerc.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sun 23 Oct 2011, 11:30 am

Gethin's 60 metre romp, side step and dummy. Fat bastud

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 23 Oct 2011, 11:32 am

robbo277 wrote:Chris Ashton's 6 tries - especially the ones accompanied by a swan dive. Equal top try scorer and did so at a better rate than Clerc.

You find that single golden thread and hold onto it for dear life. I salute you Sir, you are a true and passionate rugby fan. thumbsup
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 23 Oct 2011, 5:13 pm

Top moment was when England played well. Since that was the moment most rare in the whole competition, thats it for me. Well, I think I saw a moment they played well. I really think so. Wasn't there? Maybe once?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next