The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Android Apps - Advice please.

+3
LondonJonnyO
K@S
drive4show
7 posters

Go down

Android Apps - Advice please. Empty Android Apps - Advice please.

Post by drive4show Thu 03 Mar 2011, 12:43 pm

Chaps and chappess's

I've ordered a new android phone which is due to turn up tomorrow.

Any advice please on good (golf related) apps I should look to download? I know about the GPS one that you can input scores and stats into etc which costs about £18. Which others would you technogeeks recommend? kiss

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Android Apps - Advice please. Empty Re: Android Apps - Advice please.

Post by drive4show Fri 11 Mar 2011, 1:18 pm

Got the phone, still waiting for advice from you bunch of muppets Whistle

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Android Apps - Advice please. Empty Re: Android Apps- Advice please

Post by K@S Sun 13 Mar 2011, 2:04 pm

I will admit to confusion over these devices .

http://www.randa.org/RandA/News/News/2010/August/Joint-Statement-on-Electronic-Devices.aspx

from 2:-When the Local Rule is in effect, distance-measuring devices must be limited to measuring distance only. The use of a distance-measuring device would constitute a breach of the Rules if:
---The device has the capability to assist in calculating the effective distance between two points (i.e. distance after considering gradient, wind speed and/or direction, temperature or other environmental factors).

3. Multi-functional devices such as mobile phones, PDAs, etc (i.e. devices that are primarily communication devices, but which may have other potential uses) may be used as follows:
---When the Local Rule is in effect, a distance-measuring application may be used, provided the specific application is restricted to “distance only” and the device does not have any other “non-conforming” features. This is the case even if these other features are not being used. As above, the Rules on advice-related communications (including the use of the internet) still apply.

If you take the above then does not installing an "app"( such as inclinometer, compass or thermometer) mean that it is legal to use if the local rule permits or does the fact that you have the capability to install such an app mean that it is illegal to use?

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sun 13 Mar 2011, 4:51 pm

K@S

Funnily enough, we were discussing exactly the points you raised out on the course this morning. I'm a confirmed laser rangefinder man but definitely interested in apps to record and monitor my stats. I know there are some useful ones out there that can be very good for analysing strengths and weaknesses.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun 13 Mar 2011, 5:21 pm

It's a difficult ruling to avoid really.

With any phone like an iPhone or similar you can download apps that act as spirit levels (and I've even got one that gives you inclines on a 360 degree basis. Laid on the green that would give you far too much information. But you would need to be laying it on the green to use that.

And it's perfectly possible to have wind indications etc on a weather app/weather site.

I think to be safe you have to either demonstrate the app to the officials. Or just not use anything that has the possibility of acting as something they have ruled against.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by K@S Sun 13 Mar 2011, 5:49 pm

drive4show wrote:K@S

I'm a confirmed laser rangefinder man but definitely interested in apps to record and monitor my stats. I know there are some useful ones out there that can be very good for analysing strengths and weaknesses.

Since you are a laser rangefinder man I assume you will have used it to get your "yardages" on the practice ground and are looking for something else.
You could try "EasySorecard" which has an ad supported free version , try before you buy, and a Pro version.
http://www.mydroidsoft.com/easyscorecard/screenshots/

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by K@S Sun 13 Mar 2011, 6:01 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:It's a difficult ruling to avoid really.

With any phone like an iPhone or similar you can download apps that act as spirit levels (and I've even got one that gives you inclines on a 360 degree basis. Laid on the green that would give you far too much information. But you would need to be laying it on the green to use that.

And it's perfectly possible to have wind indications etc on a weather app/weather site.

I think to be safe you have to either demonstrate the app to the officials. Or just not use anything that has the possibility of acting as something they have ruled against.

My problem is not necessarilly with a conforming app but the fact that a "smartphone" has the capability to download a non-conforming app at any time the user desires and I therefore believe they enter a grey area which depends entirely on the honesty of the user and as the accuracy of these non-conforming apps will probably increase over the coming years it should be considered that any of these type of devices should be declared illegal.

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun 13 Mar 2011, 6:33 pm

There is no grey area to me.

First... phones are not to be used on the course in any comp. And it can be fairly rude even in social play.
Second... if it has the capability and you're using it... disqualified. Its the same with lasers that can give you a measurement of 'true' yardage dependent on the slope of the shot. You can turn it off... but they are still illegal for competition use.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by K@S Sun 13 Mar 2011, 6:45 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:There is no grey area to me.

First... phones are not to be used on the course in any comp. And it can be fairly rude even in social play.
Second... if it has the capability and you're using it... disqualified.

http://www.randa.org/RandA/News/News/2010/August/Joint-Statement-on-Electronic-Devices.aspx
3. Multi-functional devices such as mobile phones, PDAs, etc (i.e. devices that are primarily communication devices, but which may have other potential uses) may be used as follows:

* The device may be used for any non-golfing purpose (e.g. as a communication tool to phone, text or email), subject to any club / course regulations and the Rules on accessing advice-related matters – see Decision 14-3/16.

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun 13 Mar 2011, 6:54 pm

Yeah yeah. I still think pulling out a phine on a golf course is an ignirant thing to do. Its disruptive to others. It should only be used for emergencies. And any other use subject to dq.

Look up the egu rules.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by K@S Sun 13 Mar 2011, 7:01 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:Yeah yeah. I still think pulling out a phine on a golf course is an ignirant thing to do. Its disruptive to others. It should only be used for emergencies. And any other use subject to dq.

Look up the egu rules.
While we both agree they shouldn't be used

http://www.englishgolfunion.org/documents/THE_EGU_S_HARD_CARD.pdf

10. Distance-Measuring Devices (Rule 14–3)
In all EGU Championships, a player may obtain distance information by using a
device that measures distance only. If, during a stipulated round, a player uses a
distance-measuring device that is designed to gauge or measure other conditions
that might affect his play (e.g. gradient, windspeed, temperature, etc), the player
is in breach of Rule 14–3, for which the penalty is disqualification, regardless
of whether any such additional function is actually used.
Note: i. Trolleys with a distance-measuring capability: May be used provided
any other features, which are non-conforming, are disabled (e.g.
‘taped up’ or switched off).
ii. Multi-functional devices (such as a mobile phone) with a distancemeasuring
application: May be used provided the application is
restricted to “distance only” and the device does not have any other
“non-conforming” features.

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun 13 Mar 2011, 7:32 pm

MOBILE PHONES

a) Used as a distance measuring devise (DMD)

If you use a mobile phone as a DMD, for instance you have downloaded a DMD application, the phone must not have any other feature or application which can gauge or measure other conditions that might affect your play e.g. gradient, windspeed or temperature. If the phone has such a capability, irrespective of whether it is used and irrespective of whether the feature or application is switched off or otherwise disabled, you will be disqualified.

Example: Your mobile phone has a weather feature or application and the information which it can show includes temperature. If you use that phone as a DMD, you will be disqualified, even if you do not switch on or use that feature or application. Just using that phone as a DMD, because it could display temperature, would mean disqualification. It would be the same with gradient: if the phone has the capability (a feature or application) of being used as a level, you would be disqualified, even though you didn’t use it as a level.

If in doubt, don’t use that phone as a DMD.

b) Making/sending or receiving calls and texts

Players and caddies may not use phones on the course (including on practice days), except in cases of emergency.

Read the right rule dopey.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by K@S Sun 13 Mar 2011, 7:41 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:

Read the right rule dopey.

From dopey.
Perhaps you should check the year.
http://www.englishgolfunion.org/showpage.asp?code=0001000200010010 2009
http://www.englishgolfunion.org/documents/THE_EGU_S_HARD_CARD.pdf 2010

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun 13 Mar 2011, 8:08 pm

the rule I picked up is from 2011 and the entry forms for the EGU events for this year.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by K@S Sun 13 Mar 2011, 9:32 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:the rule I picked up is from 2011 and the entry forms for the EGU events for this year.
http://www.englishgolfunion.org/documents/Hard_Card_2011.pdf
Similar to the 2010 version with the addition of
5. Mobile Phones (including pagers and similar devices): May not be used on the course
(including on practice days) by players or caddies for making/sending or receiving calls or texts
except in cases of emergency..
Note: Local Rule 10 (above) covers the use of mobile phones when used as a
distance-measuring device.
Rule 10 is as I previously sent.

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun 13 Mar 2011, 9:42 pm

http://www.englishgolfunion.org/showpage.asp?code=0001000200010010
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by K@S Sun 13 Mar 2011, 9:47 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:http://www.englishgolfunion.org/showpage.asp?code=0001000200010010

Sighs. As I said earlier, this is for 2009.
Top of page:-
Distance Measuring Devices (DMD)

The English Golf Union (EGU) has taken the decision to allow Distance-Measuring Devices (DMD) to be used in all its championships in 2009.

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun 13 Mar 2011, 9:51 pm

thats as of. and the first time they allowed it.

the use of the phone on the course is still not allowed unless it's an emergency.

So... I still say using a phone on the course is the act of an arrogant soloist.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by K@S Sun 13 Mar 2011, 10:06 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:thats as of. and the first time they allowed it.

the use of the phone on the course is still not allowed unless it's an emergency.

So... I still say using a phone on the course is the act of an arrogant soloist.

A phone is a phone is a phone no longer applies in this day and age and rule 10 permits the use of a multifunction device(mobile phone) with a distance measuring app. I don't like it and still think it is a grey area.

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 14 Mar 2011, 11:52 am

my original objection is that phones shouldn't be used on the course anyway.

And I still say there is no grey area. Phones have no place on the golf course.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 14 Mar 2011, 12:09 pm

There is the option to turn the call making/texting (i.e. the phone element) off, at least on my iPhone.
If someone were to do this and use a GPS app similar to SkyCaddie and the like, i don't see why there should be any problem with this - either from a rules or etiquette point of view
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 14 Mar 2011, 12:43 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:There is the option to turn the call making/texting (i.e. the phone element) off, at least on my iPhone.
If someone were to do this and use a GPS app similar to SkyCaddie and the like, i don't see why there should be any problem with this - either from a rules or etiquette point of view

how many people do that?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 14 Mar 2011, 12:53 pm

I personally don't have a problem with people using mobile phones on a golf course and think that a rule preventing their use is a great use of a committee in that they need to make rules to justify their purpose.

If a group all want to walk around the golf course on their phones not talking to each other then that is their prerogative, assuming of course that they do not infringe upon other groups by making noise or holding them up. I will frequently use my phone on the course for work purposes which would certainly not be classed as an emergency but would always consider other players in my group. If you are fortunate enough to have a life off the golf course that will allow you to completely switch off while on the golf course then I applaud you but to make a rule that stops people using their phones is ridiculous.

As far as using distance features etc it just requires a degree of honesty that should be ingrained in us golfers anyway. At no point would I know the difference between a rangefinder that shows gradient and one that doesn't. The great thing about golf is that over 18 holes there are so so many factors that go into your scorecard that you could have multiple apps on your phone and still not make a difference, apart from sleeping at night if you know you are cheating...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 14 Mar 2011, 12:54 pm

LJ - no idea!

I agree that, emergencies aside, there is absolutely no place on the course for phone calls and texts. I've played behind people making calls on the course before and have mentioned it to them once in close enough proximity!
I'm just saying if the phone element is turned off then there is effectively no difference between an iPhone or Android GPS and your usual GPS machine in terms of etiquette.

Personally, i'm not good enough to use either but i do have the app on my phone. If i were going to use it i think i would turn the phone off as i would have no interest in being bothered by calls, just in the same way that i turn my phone off when playing anyway.
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 14 Mar 2011, 12:59 pm

So................. no advice on which apps to download then?? Cry :run1: :run2: :huh: Doh randy Whistle Ok! 🍺

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 14 Mar 2011, 1:06 pm

D4S, have no idea I'm afraid.

Am not really into the whole "app" thing. Most phones are now like swiss army knives - handy features but I wouldn't want a surgeon using the tweezers on me. I've got a Bushnell range finder that's really good and obviously far better then any phone application...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 14 Mar 2011, 1:10 pm

sharrison01 wrote:D4S, have no idea I'm afraid.

Am not really into the whole "app" thing. Most phones are now like swiss army knives - handy features but I wouldn't want a surgeon using the tweezers on me. I've got a Bushnell range finder that's really good and obviously far better then any phone application...

I'm a laser man too but you know how it is when you get a new toy Wink

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 14 Mar 2011, 1:16 pm

Which one did you go for?

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 14 Mar 2011, 1:29 pm

drive4show wrote:
sharrison01 wrote:D4S, have no idea I'm afraid.

I'm a laser man too but you know how it is when you get a new toy Wink

You find out you need a different battery size and the shops are closed?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 14 Mar 2011, 1:59 pm

I've got the Nikon 350G, had it almost 2 years now and love it. Battery life seems excellent, I'm only on my 3rd battery since I got it.

LJ, yes I found it's always good to carry a spare. First one lasted about a year but once it started to drain it went downhill very quickly!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 14 Mar 2011, 2:12 pm

I always have a couple for my bushnell... Those CR2 things can be a nightmare to get hold of at times so it's good to have them handy.

Also... my current favourite app is a little thing called tiltmeter. I lay my iphone on the green and it measures the tilt to give me a reading of the slope on that part of the green. I'm using it to map the greens on my new course onto a little chart I have and also to aid me in practicing putting/green reading. (I take a look at the line and then verify that my read is accurate so I can get a bit better at picking the line)
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Mon 14 Mar 2011, 2:44 pm

An app that is very useful & is allowed by the R&A is:

Their very own R&A Rules App.
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 14 Mar 2011, 3:10 pm

One of those porn apps for the long waits on the tee.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 14 Mar 2011, 3:19 pm

McLaren wrote:One of those porn apps for the long waits on the tee.

I love the way you say "one of those" as if you don't have a favourite...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 14 Mar 2011, 3:54 pm

Why limit your horizons?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down