The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hillsborough e-petition

+4
marty2086
JDandfries
Soldier_Of_Fortune
ReallyReal
8 posters

Go down

Hillsborough e-petition Empty Hillsborough e-petition

Post by ReallyReal Wed 19 Oct 2011, 8:51 am

Some of you may have signed the previous one that got overwhelming support in the House of Commons, but this one isn't just a football related issue, it's to demand The Sun reveal its sources for its "The Truth" story in the wake of the Hillsborough tragedy, so it's as much about the press having to prove stories that most say are made up.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-15364194
The petition itself is here
https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/19350

p.s. If you believe in finding out the truth, please post the petition address on every site you're able to, thanks thumbsup

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Hillsborough e-petition Empty Re: Hillsborough e-petition

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:30 am

Thought the other one covers that but I signed it anyway as I hate The Scum

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:35 am

Truth is generally the best vindication against slander!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:40 am

JDandfries wrote:Truth is generally the best vindication against slander!

Not the best subject to try to be funny on JD. Don't push your luck

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:44 am

Hold on a minute, I take exception to that.

As much as i like to bait Liverpool fans, there is nothing funny about what happened at Hillsborough, and I certainly wasnt trying to be funny.

Please read what I wrote, and if you don't understand what it means, then ask, or don't comment!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:45 am

Im all for the truth coming out but pressuring a newspaper into revealing so called sources is the wrong way to go

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:51 am

JDandfries wrote:Hold on a minute, I take exception to that.

As much as i like to bait Liverpool fans, there is nothing funny about what happened at Hillsborough, and I certainly wasnt trying to be funny.

Please read what I wrote, and if you don't understand what it means, then ask, or don't comment!

You know what you were trying to do. Stop playin the victim

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:58 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
JDandfries wrote:Truth is generally the best vindication against slander!

Not the best subject to try to be funny on JD. Don't push your luck
I agree with JDs sentiment and hope it wasn't any kind of joke.
The point of this new petition is simple really, The Sun (your name does fit best though Soldier) still maintains that it told "The Truth", yet EVERYONE who was there on the tragic day in question says that they lied, they refuse to give their sources for their stories and this petition asks them to reveal them to the inquiry team, only when this is done will anyone be able to question these sources and find out if anything The Sun printed was journalism, or outright lies and slander, as most believe.

@Marty, while I agree in principal, the current situation allows The Sun to hide behind the rule about revealing sources, when the public as a whole at least has a right to know if these sources exist, or were simply made up by Kelvin MacKenzie to prevent his paper from being sued into receivership for slander and just to point it out, the sources will only be identified to the inquiry team and will NOT be made public.

p.s JD and Soldier, please stop arguing over this, the issue is way too important to allow petty rivalries to interfere with it.

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 19 Oct 2011, 10:05 am

I'm no real fan of The Sun, or tabloids in general, but if it weren't for them, we may not have found out about MP's expenses, or the bribes paid to certain Pakistani cricket players.

On the flip side you have things like the phone hacking scandal and sensationalist stories which are later found to be entirely wrong, or else highly erroneous.

I think it would probably be a good thing for The Sun to have to reveal its sources for this particular story, but I wouldn't want it to set a precedent, where anyone can demand the same for any other article. I think its a generally good thing that we have people from our "gutter press" willing to snoop around in the dark seedy underbelly of society, as well as our government to expose wrongdoing.

Of course, that in no way excuses newspapers printing outright lies and slander (allegedly) regarding peoples' behaviour during such an awful tragedy.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 19 Oct 2011, 10:19 am

The Sun weren't the only paper to print that disgraceful account of the events, there were others. The Express and the Star, I think. They both apologised but it's likely all from the same source.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 19 Oct 2011, 10:41 am

Try and goad me all you like, this is not a subject to make fun of, and like I said as much as I like to goad fans of LFC, this is not the time, place or subject.

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Wed 19 Oct 2011, 10:44 am

I've signed it OK lets hope to get more.
FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

http://www.manutd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jro786 Wed 19 Oct 2011, 10:45 am

JDandfries wrote:

Try and goad me all you like, this is not a subject to make fun of, and like I said as much as I like to goad fans of LFC, this is not the time, place or subject.

for once i agree with you jd, this is a sensitive topic, if you're serious about this topic then i urge you to sign the petition
jro786
jro786

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 19 Oct 2011, 11:10 am

Personally, I would like to see an end to this topic, but not sure how that is best done.

This tragic incident happened over 20 years ago, and unfortunately for one reason or another it still rumbles on, in the sense that people have yet to have answers and I am not sure another petition or portest will help.

The main thing is that this is now being discussed in parliment, and I think that should b enough, and hopefuly people will ge the answers they deserve and can will draw a line under it and remember the dead, without having to remember the other things that so far have gone with it.

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down