The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on the RWC2011

+6
maestegmafia
Gatts
Rangiora
Biltong
mystiroakey
emack2
10 posters

Go down

Thoughts on the RWC2011 Empty Thoughts on the RWC2011

Post by emack2 Fri 21 Oct 2011, 2:32 am

What are your memories of this RWC,for me it was firstly the fine performances of the Minnows in there first games,France v Japan especially.
Disappointment that it was not sustained throughout the rest of the pool stages except amongst themselves.Very few surprises Ireland v Australia
was certainly that, because it affected the whole Tournament and was a deserved victory.Wales failure to beat the Boks though they ran them close,
you always had the thought.The Boks could strike again to win it if they needed too.The Boks changing there style versus Australia possibly affected
by the loss of Botha and Franny Steyn,plus Broussows injury.Overall Australia deserved the win but the Boks seemed un comfortable with the style somehow.
Wales had a good RWC,and a possible Bronze Medal later today will be a real reward.Australia flattered to deceive only really putting only one top draw performance.
England had a poor RWC ,two scraped victories versus Argentina and Scotland could`nt cover up the weaknesses 2015 realistically could be another Final reached
at least.
Argentina with limited resources put up a good show running England close,beating Scotland and giving the All Blacks a real workout.
France were there enigmatic selves doing just enough to reach the final maybe there to ambush the All Blacks.
Tonga and Samoa had some good games ,but Fiji were mostly poor,the Samoa v Fiji match which was billed as a feast of running Rugby.Turned out to be a typical
NH style league match plain boring.
THE best match for me was All Blacks versus Australia because it was old style Forward grit that won the match not just running Rugby,showing the game can be
compelling viewing in ANY style.
Two games to go then that`s it for another 4 years lets hope we go out in style.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on the RWC2011 Empty Re: Thoughts on the RWC2011

Post by mystiroakey Fri 21 Oct 2011, 6:46 am

its been pretty annoying from the start.

my personal reasons for it being dissapointing

abject performances by us english.

going out to a poor french team

the reasons which i feel really has stopped this world cup from being the success and the platform for world rugby it should have been

the NZFU making a mockery of the evnet- saying they will pull out of future cups unless they get more money- whilst hosting this one-- lol talk about arrogance and devaluing the cup

the above has nothing to do with the all blacks as a rugby team- they have been outstanding- but we all new there were going to be, which is becomming an anti climax.

the media reporting every time england fart

the whole debate about was it a red card- seems like the most ridiculas excuse for losing a sporting fixture of all time- due to the fact that it was a red card!

however- reffing consitancy has been questioned- why uphold the law against wales yet not allways against other nations,How can we see such a bad reffing performace as we did in the SA v OZ game- how is that possible in a WC quarter final.

the french getting to the final - playing meeeeahh rugby.

good on them but its been tough to watch.

the fact is a france win is the only thing that can save this world cup

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 21 Oct 2011, 7:31 am

Yeah, I have some moxed feelings about the RWC.

Good things.
Wales' performance
Ireland's win over OZ
Japan's performance against France.
Tonga's win over France.
Namibia's try against Wales.
Russia's Tries against OZ
Frans Steyn
Francois Hougaard
Danie Rossouw
Schalk burger
Craig Joubert

Bad things.
Bryce Lawrence.

Really bad things
Bryce Lawrence
Injury to Frans Steyn

worst thing that could have happened
Bryce Lawrence.

The ultimate disappointment
Bryce Lawrence

Unlucky
Wales
SA

Lucky
France
OZ

Have I mentioned Bryce Lawrence? Doh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Fri 21 Oct 2011, 7:38 am

It's been an absolute blast for me Very Happy Very Happy

My nephew has been over for the whole tourney and we've travelled far and long, in the beautiful country, to take in the games culminating on Sunday with the final.

From the little old dear who came up to us in a Balcutha supermarket and asked " Are you rugby people ?",
to meeting Mighty Mouse,
to meeting numerous fans from over seas having a great time irrespective of the rugby,
to the way the country has embraced it in a way I never saw in the UK,
to the amazing atmosphere in the new Dundein stadium,
to showing my nephew around our "Munted " city Christchurch,
And finally to the All Blacks being crowned Champions 2011.

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 21 Oct 2011, 7:46 am

thoughts on RWC 2011

.....ce n'est pas encore terminee!!!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 21 Oct 2011, 7:47 am

I cant believe its nearly over all ready. What a brilliant tournament, funny how the semi finalists ended up being the same as in the 87 World Cup...!

Great performances by Tonga and Samoa, which we all knew would come after the brilliant way they had played in the SH winter during the PI Nations Cup.

Wonderful beards displayed by the Canucks.

Great new faces lighting up the pitch. North and O'Connor, some of the youngster last time stepping up to be the big guns now like Frans Steyn and Weepu.

Some fantastic rugby, great tries by players of all positions from Gethin Jenkins and James Horwill to the dazzling Vincent Clerc, Shane Williams, Kauhui, Dagg et al.

Welsh enthusiasm, French Nonchalance, Kiwi Pride, Australian capitulation...!

Great world Cup, the only big downer for me Wales not making the final when i felt they deserved it, because of one silly tackle by their outstanding captain.

I disagree with people slating the referee's, if you watched more rugby you would realise lack of consistency in the adjudication is commonplace in the sport. You have to be prepared for it.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 21 Oct 2011, 7:50 am

maestegmafia wrote:I cant believe its nearly over all ready. What a brilliant tournament, funny how the semi finalists ended up being the same as in the 87 World Cup...!

Great performances by Tonga and Samoa, which we all knew would come after the brilliant way they had played in the SH winter during the PI Nations Cup.

Wonderful beards displayed by the Canucks.

Great new faces lighting up the pitch. North and O'Connor, some of the youngster last time stepping up to be the big guns now like Frans Steyn and Weepu.

Some fantastic rugby, great tries by players of all positions from Gethin Jenkins and James Horwill to the dazzling Vincent Clerc, Shane Williams, Kauhui, Dagg et al.

Welsh enthusiasm, French Nonchalance, Kiwi Pride, Australian capitulation...!

Great world Cup, the only big downer for me Wales not making the final when i felt they deserved it, because of one silly tackle by their outstanding captain.

I disagree with people slating the referee's, if you watched more rugby you would realise lack of consistency in the adjudication is commonplace in the sport. You have to be prepared for it.

maest we all know the problems- it just that world cups are more important and they magnify the problem- There is no point hiding away from things because it has happened before- time to start getting better and perhaps utilising other methods. You not helpiung the game by letting things stand in the dark ages when we have technology capable of aiding us.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 21 Oct 2011, 8:05 am

maestegmafia wrote:I disagree with people slating the referee's, if you watched more rugby you would realise lack of consistency in the adjudication is commonplace in the sport. You have to be prepared for it.

True, but some things you prepare for,but when they change in the game, then it is too late to prepare. One man's opinion is another man's debate. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by dubh_linn Fri 21 Oct 2011, 11:42 am

Started well with tier 2 nation performances...ire v aus and wales v s.a. were great....but after that the tournament seemed to almost fizzle out for me ...wildly inconsistent refereeing...disadvantaged tier 2 nations recovery time between games...a poor french team winning matches they probably shouldnt have....that red card correctly given but gutting for wales..s.a. failing to beat aus somehow still cant quite believe that! ....plussses would be irelands early form, wales and large amont of colourful fans in most games making a hell of a racket....hope nz beat france by 30 on sunday

dubh_linn

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 21 Oct 2011, 11:46 am

Rangiora wrote:It's been an absolute blast for me Very Happy Very Happy

My nephew has been over for the whole tourney and we've travelled far and long, in the beautiful country, to take in the games culminating on Sunday with the final.

From the little old dear who came up to us in a Balcutha supermarket and asked " Are you rugby people ?",
to meeting Mighty Mouse,
to meeting numerous fans from over seas having a great time irrespective of the rugby,
to the way the country has embraced it in a way I never saw in the UK,
to the amazing atmosphere in the new Dundein stadium,
to showing my nephew around our "Munted " city Christchurch,
And finally to the All Blacks being crowned Champions 2011.
How did you find him, Rangiora? Much of my hope for Scottish rugby rests on him getting the right people in place to fix the organisation OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 21 Oct 2011, 11:57 am

The thing thats spoilt it for me....which is probably the same for SH fans when its up here is the times...

So i havent seen a huge amount of the games. But as i say...unavoidable.

Also dissapointed by Englands poor display.

I just hope the French we all know turn up on Sunday and make it a cracking finale.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 21 Oct 2011, 3:25 pm

The thing is you people have had it too good for too long. We graciously bowed out of the tournament last year and let other teams share the limelight. Whistle

Now that the favourite has made the final, you say it´s an anticlimax. I say it´s one big fat relief. Many people want France to win. I have no problem with that. I like cheering for the underdog in other sports.

Lastly talk of time difference is not an issue for me. Maybe in Spain where we go out to all hours but in the UK, the night is over so early. We have dinner in Madrid when most people come home from the bars in the UK. Getting up at 10am or 9am is hardly difficult.

Living in Europe, of course I´d prefer the games to be on in the afternoon or evenings. But the game times would be a lot worse in Argentina or Japan or the US. Just because it gets back to a European time zone every second year doesn´t mean it has to be every year. All group games for the top teams were on the weekend.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Fri 21 Oct 2011, 8:23 pm

[/quote]How did you find him, Rangiora? Much of my hope for Scottish rugby rests on him getting the right people in place to fix the organisation OK[/quote]

He was in fine fettle , we never got onto the short comings of Scotland ( still had hope as was pre Georgia game Smile ).

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down