The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rory dumps ISM

+18
mystiroakey
puligny
KeizoYamata
Redrage
McLaren
gaelgowfer
jeffkenna
drive4show
super_realist
Diggers
JDandfries
princedracula
John Cregan
kwinigolfer
Davie
Maverick
Doc
Eyetoldyouso
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rory dumps ISM Empty Rory dumps ISM

Post by Eyetoldyouso Fri 21 Oct 2011, 12:29 pm

The BBC is reporting that Rory has dumped ISM as his management company and is moving to the Dublin based Horizon.
Horizonsports.ie doesn't even have a working website. Why do you think he has done this? Does he want to be the big cheese?

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Rory dumps ISM Empty Re: Rory dumps ISM

Post by Doc Fri 21 Oct 2011, 12:37 pm

Seems funny to me if this is true. Only the last couple of days we've seen Club Chubby having a good time in Bermuda with Darren, Rory and Charl, plus all their wives and family, including caddy's families. For me Chubby has done a stand-out job with Rory, because after his car crash at the Masters, I thought he would never get it back, but within weeks he blew the field away and won a major, with stunning golf. Chubbs must have had some influence somewhere for that to happen. I even blamed Rory's caddy JP for the Augusta demise, but .....

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 21 Oct 2011, 12:39 pm

If this is true then its a kick in the teeth for team chubb! After everything they've done to market and guide Rory. Horizon are GMacs management team so maybe he's had an influence! Also bit disrepctful to Darren Clarke seeing as it was him that got ISM to take Rory on from a young talented kid

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 21 Oct 2011, 12:41 pm

Doc wrote: I even blamed Rory's caddy JP for the Augusta demise, but .....

Are you Jay Townsend? Wink

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 21 Oct 2011, 12:48 pm

I wonder whether Chubs was fully in favour of Rory's sudden switch to the PGA Tour, not to mention Sweet Caroline?
Regardless, Horizon very likely have a different agenda than ISM and perhaps that will lead to a softening in the perceived friction between ISM and PGA Tour HQ? Who else does Horizon manage??

It sounded as if the Els switch was simply to consolidate all his affairs in Florida, but this Rory news even raises questions about that.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 21 Oct 2011, 12:56 pm

Great move for Rory I think and as Horizon are an Irish company, maybe im a bit biased. Ross Fisher is also with them i think. What a coup for them.......

Don't see how it is disrespectful to Clarke??

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:03 pm

Conor Ridge has certainly stroke gold today, it seems...
Horizon's website has been under construction for a while. From what I recall, their golf portfolio include: GMac, Ross Fisher, Lowry, Hoey, Moriarty, Higgins, etc. So, it's maynly Irish players at the moment...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:09 pm

I think Rory has been poorly advised over the last couple of years, and I am not sure by whom and since we cant blame the caddie for this one, who do you think has orchestrated this move? Which to me seems another unwise move from him!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:13 pm

Have ISM really done that great a job with Rory, lets face it he was probably about as easy a person to market as is possible. Young, nice kid, Irish so big American appeal and super talented. Basically a gift of a client.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:18 pm

Welcome back Diggers thumbsup Ale clap

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:22 pm

princedracula wrote:Conor Ridge has certainly stroke gold today, it seems...
Horizon's website has been under construction for a while. From what I recall, their golf portfolio include: GMac, Ross Fisher, Lowry, Hoey, Moriarty, Higgins, etc. So, it's maynly Irish players at the moment...

Surely he's in the Billy Bunter Sports Management stable?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:24 pm

super_realist wrote:

Did you even try to resit there SR?

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:24 pm

super_realist wrote:

super, don't confuse his management company with his sponsors.

McDonalds, KFC, Domino, Guinness, Wang King chinese takeaway......

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:28 pm

Sorry JD, it was a tap in.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:34 pm

True it was just that.

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:35 pm

If the GMac influence is the driver behind this, then I think Rory's takin a big gamble. GMac after a stella year was ill advised to change from Calloway to Srixon - yes plenty of dollars more etc, but he's gone backwards in a big way and falling down the rankings.

Maybe the ET/PGA switch has made him do it, because I seem to remember that after the Masters he changed his schedule to spend more time on the ET, which was a smack in the gob for Finchem. I belive the chubster did the right thing in reigning him in and taking him out of the limelight, after all it worked and he was soon back beating the field up. But if he prefers the US lifestyle and rockstar status, then good luck to him, but think he's crazy

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:36 pm

Forgot, Gareth Maybin is also with Horizon... I see some reports saying that Rory broke the news to Chubby on Wednesday in Bermuda...

Not sure how this will work out for Rory in future, but Chubby has to be pretty shaken having two of the highest profile players in his stable leaving him in just a few weeks...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:37 pm

I'm not sure it will make a great deal of difference really.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:43 pm

Doc, you could equally say that ISM were at fault for letting Rory go over to the PGA tour full time in 2010 which I think in retrospect was too early. The decision to come back to Europe was really quite an obvious one.
Obviously if Rory is calling the shots himself then it doesnt really matter who is in his management team, maybe he prefers to listen to his mates on tour when making his decisions re playing and just lets the management team look after the sponsors etc ?
Id say that Rory should be far more worried about how inconsistent his form seems to be rather than which money men are looking after him.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:44 pm

This is something he is perfectly entitled to do, afterall Rory is the talent not ISM. A blow to ISM however they still have a good staple of players and their profile has been raised thanks to their association with McIlroy.

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:50 pm

A staple of players?
Are ISM eating their players these days? Good job Lowry isn't on the books, it would take weeks to get through him.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Fri 21 Oct 2011, 1:55 pm

stable!! apologies. you're right about Lowry, plenty of fat to render off there before throwing him in the pan!

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 21 Oct 2011, 2:04 pm

And if they get really hungry, they could just EAT CHUBBY.................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 21 Oct 2011, 2:12 pm

Do you think Chubby has always been a lardy or did he decide to become a fatso because his nickname was chubby ?
We used to call a lad at primary school Chubs as he was the school porker and the name stuck even though he stopped being a heffer probably from about tehe age of 11 or 12.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 21 Oct 2011, 2:22 pm

Doc wrote:If the GMac influence is the driver behind this, then I think Rory's takin a big gamble. GMac after a stella year was ill advised to change from Calloway to Srixon - yes plenty of dollars more etc, but he's gone backwards in a big way and falling down the rankings.

Whilst I wouldn't argue this could be a reason for GMac's current poor form, I wondered if perhaps maintaining such a fast swing transition would be problematic for him over the longterm.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 21 Oct 2011, 2:40 pm

I didn't realise that GMac was originally with teamchubster as well, before joining Horizon

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 21 Oct 2011, 2:49 pm

Oooops! Rory's webpage today...

http://rorymcilroy.com/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 21 Oct 2011, 3:00 pm

Did anyone else get the feeling there was a whiff of unprofessionalism about the ISM stable, where it seemed to be more a group of drinking buddies rather than a high performance environment. Remember those guys won majors because of their own dedication and not because chubby bought them a pint.

I would also agree that chubby maybe does not have the experience of the US tour and the US corporate environment. I think the business world is very different in the US compared to the UK and maybe Rory felt the chubby the clown was hardly the image he needed representing him in the likes of Nike and Goldman Sachs HQ’s?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 21 Oct 2011, 3:16 pm

I hardly think it matters Mac, Chubby's "Stable" has 3 out of the last 4 majors, so perhaps having a more light hearted approach to matters helps the players feel less pressure than the soul less and overly corporate approach of some of the others.

What has McIlroy got to do with being represented in Nike or GS anyway?
Chandler is there to promote his player and ensure sponsorship deals yield the greatest return, I'm pretty sure that McIlroy hasn't got any connections with them at all.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 21 Oct 2011, 3:18 pm

I had to laugh at a tweet from Jason Sobel (Golf channel?)

Gotta believe Rory's desire to play more in U.S. has something to do with leaving the Euro-centric Chubby. Can't spell jingoism without ISM.

An American calling someone Euro-centric - whoda thought it?

Last edited by Davie on Fri 21 Oct 2011, 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 21 Oct 2011, 3:23 pm

There's a Rory official statement I came across...

“I would like to sincerely thank Andrew ‘Chubby’ Chandler and his team for their guidance, representation, and management over the past four years, since turning pro. Chubby and his team have played a very important role in my success to date. I have made great progress under their management and for that I will always be grateful. I am now keen to move onto the next stage of my career and I feel this will be facilitated by a fresh view and a new structure around me. Therefore I am delighted to be joining Horizon and I look forward to working with my new team.”

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 21 Oct 2011, 3:24 pm

Not sure that Goldman Sachs would project the image that any law-abiding citizen would be happy with, let alone a pro golfer.

But perhaps there's something in the notion that Chubs is more Asia-centric and Rory wants to move West rather than East.

Wonder who negotiated the Santander windfall for him, and how that fits into the plans for either the company or Rory/Horizon?

Davie, There's never been much evidence that Sobel knows too much about golf or golfers . . . . . . Idiot!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 21 Oct 2011, 3:39 pm

Kwini

Ok Goldman was a bad example, I was just trying to imagine chubby in the corporate culture of some of the big US firms with whom Mcilroy might want to shack up with.

I just get the feeling chubby would not be as effective a manager state side for Rory due to a different culture and a tour where the tour is still bigger than the players.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 21 Oct 2011, 3:42 pm

princedracula wrote:There's a Rory official statement I came across...

“I would like to sincerely thank Andrew ‘Chubby’ Chandler and his team for their guidance, representation, and management over the past four years, since turning pro. Chubby and his team have played a very important role in my success to date. I have made great progress under their management and for that I will always be grateful. I am now keen to move onto the next stage of my career and I feel this will be facilitated by a fresh view and a new structure around me. Therefore I am delighted to be joining Horizon and I look forward to working with my new team.”

On the one hand he's thanking teamchubb, but saying he now needs to move on to the next stage of his development - fresh view - new structure around me .... Could we see a new caddie in the offing as JP has always carried the bags of teamchubster players. Rory said the other day whilst playing the grand slam, that he had just been on a plane for over 20-hours to get to Bermuda and had no time to practice or play the course. Guess he would rather be cuddled up to his American squeeze, than plying his trade for much lucre.

Kwini makes a good point too about the asia thing, because teamchubb are there every year, which some would feel is great for learning and making for a more rounded player (Don't go there SR) The obvious difference being that the ET players travel well, unlike the US players who can struggle outside their own state sometimes, never mind abroad. Rory in an interview a couple of days ago, said he had been on a plane for over 20-hours getting to Bermuda from Hong Kong, where he's played 7-courses in 7-days, leaving him no chance to have a look at the Bermuda track or practice. Could be upset that he's missed his girlfriend, because he was flying straight out of Bermuda to watch is bird in match somehwere in the States.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Fri 21 Oct 2011, 3:43 pm

Davie wrote:I had to laugh at a tweet from Jason Sobel (Golf channel?)

Gotta believe Rory's desire to play more in U.S. has something to do with leaving the Euro-centric Chubby. Can't spell jingoism without ISM.

An American calling someone Euro-centric - whoda thought it?

Whoda thought Louis Oosthuizen and Charl Shchwartzel (2 South Africans) had taken out PGA tour memeberships? Will Chubby's Euro-centricity ever cease?

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Fri 21 Oct 2011, 3:53 pm

I seem to remember Rory stating that his move back from the states last time had a lot to do with his then girlfriend still studying in Ireland and they had just got a house and dog etc. Where did the tennis player come into things?

I have to say I felt he was overachieving with the non-famous bird, never mind the pretty blonde athlete he's landed now. Overachieving off the course, under achieving on it... is that harsh? I think my first point illustrates that he shouldn't leave his thinking to his tadger, look where it got Tiger in the end and he had a lot of majors and endorsements to help pay for that fall from grace.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 21 Oct 2011, 3:59 pm

You think Rory is overachieving?

Take a look at who this guy managed to bag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Arend

Actually it is even weirder as he looks like Rory McIlroy. Maybe girls like that look????
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Fri 21 Oct 2011, 4:02 pm

McLaren wrote:You think Rory is overachieving?

Take a look at who this guy managed to bag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Arend

Actually it is even weirder as he looks like Rory McIlroy. Maybe girls like that look????

The scouse look is back and nobody told us, Mac.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 21 Oct 2011, 4:04 pm

Considering the players he represents and what they have achieved I would have thought that any corporate business would pay that due heed.

They all know there is more than one way to skin a cat, and just because someone seems laid back or "unprofessional" in media terms it doesn't mean they are when it comes to buisiness.
Eddie Jordan was a bit of a joker, but he still knew how to run a successful and respected team.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 21 Oct 2011, 4:32 pm

TeamChubster run a tight, well organised business that makes a lot of money and not just from managing golfers. he has a very exclusive, high end travel business which makes a shed load, as well as running corporate events for companies here and abroad. Chubby is the face of ISM as far as golf goes, because he's usually present at tour events where his players are involved. he does a load of business of the course at these vents, and is seen in the company of corporate captains from all over the world. He would probably not even bother with Goldman Sachs anyway. But ISM do make a shed load of cash worldwide.

I was tempted to go to Augusta for the Masters earlier this year, and thought it would be brilliant to do it in style. I found a website offering flights to and from georgia, accomodation ina shared house (4 star) with pool, 3 days at the Masters, a round of golf with either Ernie, Lee, Darren etc and dinner each night was in the 'main house' with all Chubsters players and families and of course the man himself. I thought this would be good for a laugh, so contacted them to get more details. Alan lamb rang me that same evening and we had a chat about it. The next day Chubby himself emailed me with the prices and a list of options, like being there for the par 3 event or final day, or even playing the course on the Tuesday after the event. You can imagine it wasn't going to be cheap and the basic gig was £12k per person, but included everything, even meals and golf.

3-days later Alan Lamb emailed me to say that all places were now booked, so sorry about not being able to accomadate us this year, as places go fast. If still intersested for next year, get in early and ....

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 21 Oct 2011, 8:10 pm

Given McIlroy has declared his intention to play more in america together with Chubby's 'war on the shore(s)' with pga tour.com, I suppose it's not too surprising he's decided to distance himself.

Still, every action has its consequence viz Sawgrass! That'll learn 'im!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 21 Oct 2011, 8:38 pm

Gael raises a very interesting point there.

McIlroy last year said he was not playing in the Players due to sawgrass not suiting his eye and doubted he would return to the event at any time in near future if ever, and I believe when the media questioned this as its the big one on PGA tour chubby defended his mans position. Having decided to take full PGA status next term, being the current US Open incumbent and likely to be the PGA's new poster boy with a new company behind him will we see a sudden retraction from Rors and him teeing it up on Sawgrasses stadium course in 2012

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Fri 21 Oct 2011, 8:39 pm

Overreaction using the word 'dump' the guy 'switched' agents. Rolling Eyes

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 21 Oct 2011, 8:54 pm

Switch of philosophies more like . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Fri 21 Oct 2011, 10:29 pm

Anyone see that Chubby sold his interest in ISM shortly before King Louis won The Open. He is apparently still around doing some of the work but is not an "owner" of the business. Maybe that had something to do with it? Or just close links with G Mac?

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 21 Oct 2011, 11:35 pm

Interesting to see Lee Westwood openly tweeted Coco sorry McIlroy simply saying "strange decision"

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 22 Oct 2011, 5:56 pm

Doc wrote:TeamChubster run a tight, well organised business that makes a lot of money and not just from managing golfers. he has a very exclusive, high end travel business which makes a shed load, as well as running corporate events for companies here and abroad. Chubby is the face of ISM as far as golf goes, because he's usually present at tour events where his players are involved. he does a load of business of the course at these vents, and is seen in the company of corporate captains from all over the world. He would probably not even bother with Goldman Sachs anyway. But ISM do make a shed load of cash worldwide.

I was tempted to go to Augusta for the Masters earlier this year, and thought it would be brilliant to do it in style. I found a website offering flights to and from georgia, accomodation ina shared house (4 star) with pool, 3 days at the Masters, a round of golf with either Ernie, Lee, Darren etc and dinner each night was in the 'main house' with all Chubsters players and families and of course the man himself. I thought this would be good for a laugh, so contacted them to get more details. Alan lamb rang me that same evening and we had a chat about it. The next day Chubby himself emailed me with the prices and a list of options, like being there for the par 3 event or final day, or even playing the course on the Tuesday after the event. You can imagine it wasn't going to be cheap and the basic gig was £12k per person, but included everything, even meals and golf.

3-days later Alan Lamb emailed me to say that all places were now booked, so sorry about not being able to accomadate us this year, as places go fast. If still intersested for next year, get in early and ....

what- at 12k even i would be tempted lol- you serious you need to get in for next year- trip of a lifetime that one- unless its just one of things to you.. I allways imagine posters to be just normal people, talking about posters being normal-- is lee westy about these days?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 22 Oct 2011, 8:46 pm

[quote="mystiroakey"]
Doc wrote:is lee westy about these days?

Westwood was was informed of the new site but indicated he wasn't interested in a site that didn't have the "backing" of the BBC. MidgetMac was the same. They are both more interested in twitter these days.

Zane Scotland joined here but hasn't been seen for a while - he was the only professional (as far as we know) that comes here. Unless anyone knows differently!

I understand (from twitter) that Zane has some sort of injury at the moment - maybe he'll find time to come back

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:08 pm

Oh ok, Zanes a good lad. used to play on my course alot , and we played on his(recipricals) and junior matches

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 02 Nov 2011, 3:03 pm

A couple of sources reporting on some McIlroy comments ahead of the HSBC about his split from chubby.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/europeantour/8864689/Rory-McIlroy-reveals-difficult-decision-to-drop-Chubby-Chandler-but-had-best-interests-at-heart.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/15551691.stm

He is claiming sporting reasons for leaving and that he feels he needs a change to bring his golf to the next level. This is an odd reason to give considering how many majors and other wins are coming from people managed by ISM. You would think that indicates management are encouraging or at least allowing their players to focus on their games and not over burdened by sponsor activities.

It is not like you see those guys faces all over the place and this is where I do not believe mcilroy, it is clearly a switch to improve his commercial success in the states and around the world. He is after a tiger and nike type deal and chubby does not have the connections to offer him that. To say his move was for golf just doesn’t make sense when you consider the success of chubby’s stable the ambiguous nature of whether a management team can in fact alter a players capabilities on the course.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next