The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How To Solve A Problem Like Hook ?

+18
chris_501
bedfordwelsh
Knowsit17
thebluesmancometh
Seagultaf
Glas a du
SubsBench
Luckless Pedestrian
TycroesOsprey
flyhalffactory
maestegmafia
wrfc1980
dogtooth
offload
eirebilly
gavstar
Gatts
Londonwelsh
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How To Solve A Problem Like Hook ? - Page 2 Empty How To Solve A Problem Like Hook ?

Post by Londonwelsh Sat 22 Oct 2011, 12:28 am

First topic message reminder :

That’s the dilemma that the Welsh management have to sort out. James Hook has had a poor tournament. He has proved that he hasn’t yet got the skills and attributes needed to control a game from fly half. The problem as I see it is Hook is not our best 10, he’s not our best centre, and he’s not our best full back.

So in what position does his future lie for Wales? Priestland is now Wales’ premier 10 and only a fool would disagree otherwise. Hook’s poor performances there have meant he cannot be considered 1st choice there. Also you have Tovey, Bigger, and Shingler knocking on the door which will make it even harder for James to attain his favourite position.

What about the centre? Hook in the centre is the people’s choice but that’s not straight forward anymore. It seems Foxy has slowly but surely developed a good understanding with Roberts now and with the emergence of the talented youngster Scott Williams means there’s not much chance that Hook can break in there now.

The 15 shirt must belong to Leigh Halfpenny who has been a revelation at full back. Lee Byrne showed patches of form when he played at 15. When Hook does play at 15 it seems he’s hardly in the game as he doesn’t have the same impact from 15 that Halfpenny has.

When I think about this I’m struggling to find a place for Hook in the team. Can he even be considered a starting place in the first 15 anymore? We all know that Hook is a talented player, but at the moment he seems to be a jack of all trades but a master of none. The December test against the Wallabies and in particular next years Six Nations will be interesting to see where Hook fits in. Maybe Hook is destined to become a decent squad player like Ryan Jones and Jonathan Thomas. Good players but who have never really nailed down one position. I hope that Hook regains form and confidence out in France and that Wales find ONE position for him to nail down.
Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

How To Solve A Problem Like Hook ? - Page 2 Empty Re: How To Solve A Problem Like Hook ?

Post by samuraidragon Tue 25 Oct 2011, 9:14 am

I agree, Bedford. Taking angled shots from closer in is a different skill with a different kind of expectation. He surely couldn't do it for Wales until he had regular experience with the Blues.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

How To Solve A Problem Like Hook ? - Page 2 Empty Re: How To Solve A Problem Like Hook ?

Post by gavstar Wed 26 Oct 2011, 12:17 pm

london ,agree with all your post, but hook was 'peoples choice at 10' according to the media, particularly the Western Mail, a tv appearance with Jonathan 'jiffy' Davies a little cameo with both of them stating why hook should be 10( last season i think )

even when sjones was doing well for us , the media band wagon kept rolling on about 'the peoples choice at 10' where does the media get the peoples permission to say he's the peoples choice?

anyway, not an issue anymore.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 26 Oct 2011, 5:11 pm

Never believe anything in the Western Fail, they as bad as any other media and will praise some one then drop them like hot potato etc.

I have said for ages that Hook wasn't a 10 due to fact he just hasn't played there enough, however I have always said Halfpenny should be our XV and by line above was quoted back to me as he has little game time there.

One proved succesful the other some way off it.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2