The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh Scrum Half

+4
TycroesOsprey
thebluesmancometh
Cardiff Taffy
RobLewis28
8 posters

Go down

Welsh Scrum Half Empty Welsh Scrum Half

Post by RobLewis28 Sun 23 Oct 2011, 1:17 pm

Just looking for an honest discussion - really torn as to whether Mike Phillips is the right guy for Wales, cant take away his superb indivdual tries that were crucial in the World cup but i cant stop thinking that someone like Lloyd Williams encourages a much faster open game for us....who would you put in?

RobLewis28

Back to top Go down

Welsh Scrum Half Empty Re: Welsh Scrum Half

Post by Cardiff Taffy Sun 23 Oct 2011, 1:34 pm

Pre-tournament I was thinking his selection was based on loyalty and would he could do three years ago. Post-tournament I think he delivered. We all know his strengths and weaknesses. His pass may not be the quickest but for me he had an outstanding tournament. If someone else wants his place they'll have to take it.....

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 23 Oct 2011, 1:43 pm

Anyone who think Phillips delivered has issues!!!

He took 2 very good tries in a tournament of slow, poor ball, bad carries, worse box kicks, no communication, and obvious direction!!!

He is one hell of an athlete but a top scrum half he is not!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun 23 Oct 2011, 1:53 pm

Well Lloyd is likely to get his first start against the ozzies in a few weeks as Mikey is in France.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 23 Oct 2011, 2:03 pm

I have always said that we need a balance, what I was never keen on was Phillips and Knoyle and the two No9s as I fee lthey are similar in style.

Phillips has had a very good tournament IMO and has been back to near his best and certainly his best in a Welsh shirt fo sometime.

Now he is off to play in France we will have to look at other options due to him having limited availability and he won't be free for the match in December.

I guess L Williams and Knoyle are now in poll position but there are still the likes of Webb, Rees and Evans out there who will all be pushing.

I think a player with a quicker service suits our game plan but wouldn't rule Phillips out totally.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 23 Oct 2011, 2:15 pm

Phillips looked back to his best and I can't see what he's done to lose the starting berth. Then again the team look like they've adopted a strategy which fits Phillips' approach far better, everybody seems to be making ground and taking the ball into contact so well all of a sudden. I think this back row combination has done nothing but benefit Phillips, might be worth noting that in Warburton's absence against the Aussies he found himself under far more pressure at the breakdown. Been a great defender too.

Lloyd Williams gave a very good account of himself whenever he was given time. Knoyle set himself back with a poor showing against Namibia.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 23 Oct 2011, 2:31 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Anyone who think Phillips delivered has issues!!!

He took 2 very good tries in a tournament of slow, poor ball, bad carries, worse box kicks, no communication, and obvious direction!!!

He is one hell of an athlete but a top scrum half he is not!

Totally agree with that statement. I've never rated Phillips as a scrum half, he takes on way to much ball and it's the law of averages that he's going to come good and cross the whitewash now and again.

He stifles so much attacking ball it's unreal, Wales look a much better side without him and with either Knoyl or LW at the base.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 23 Oct 2011, 2:32 pm

Knowsit,

I agree, now that he has been playing with a backrow that goes forward he hasn't had to become a back rower himself which we all admit he done to much.

He still however has that string to his bow, like I said I doubt he will be free for the December game against the Aussies so will be good to see someone else get a shot for full game.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Colchins Sun 23 Oct 2011, 2:34 pm

I thought Mike had a good RWC after a poor year for both club and country.

The thing that stood out for me was when Lloyd came on in the playoff. He was razor sharp at the breakdown in terms of getting the ball out. If you combine that with Rhys at 10 we could start cooking on gas.

It would be good to see them together against Australia in Dec. It is interesting that both Rhys and Lloyd have stepped forward in the RWC and others have stepped away. In accepting that Mikey had a good RWC he is unlikely to be there next time around.

Colchins

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Oct 2011, 3:39 pm

Rhys Webb has looked good for the Ospreys

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down