The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who should be Englands scrum half for the 6ns?

+5
Knackeredknees
doctor_grey
Sgt_Pooly
Armchairexpert
majesticimperialman
9 posters

Go down

Who should be Englands scrum half for the 6ns? Empty Who should be Englands scrum half for the 6ns?

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 07 Jan 2012, 7:52 pm

After this weekends games so far who do you think should be Englands scrum half for the 6ns?

What with Danny Care Dropped from the England team.

For me this weekend i would like to see Lee Dickson the Saints scrum half, he is just what England have been looking for for a long time. He gives quick ball, clears the ball out from the scrum, and drives his forwards on.

Ben young seem to be a little off form today.

Lee Dickson had a fantastic game last night for Saints.

Joe Simpson did not have a good game today.

So who would you choose for England scrum half?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Who should be Englands scrum half for the 6ns? Empty Re: Who should be Englands scrum half for the 6ns?

Post by Armchairexpert Sat 07 Jan 2012, 8:03 pm

I agree Dickson is pushing hard. I'd like to see him in the EPS and watch both players for the next couple of weeks to see how their form goes. Dickson can be a bit up and down too. (and his down can be quite far down!!)

Armchairexpert

Back to top Go down

Who should be Englands scrum half for the 6ns? Empty Re: Who should be Englands scrum half for the 6ns?

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 07 Jan 2012, 8:15 pm

Dickson seems to be flavour of the month but doesn't really offer enough around the fringes to be top draw. Youngs is ahead of the other contenders but I'd be happy with somebody like Dickson coming off the bench to see out a game.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 07 Jan 2012, 8:47 pm

I would certainly agree Youngs should be the starting scrum half despite having some on-and-off form this season. But I think Dickson is in the mix. Youngs is a better runner, or perhaps he chooses that option more. And he has had some very good games for England, which cannot be overlooked. Confident play on the biggest stage is huge.

Dickson is a bit more traditional: get to the breakdown as fast as possible and get the ball away as fast as possible. And he does that quite well. Seems it is Saints game plan for the scrum halves to take the ball up only when something is on.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jan 2012, 8:48 pm

Youngs is still in the driving seat. He didn't have a brilliant game today, but he was good enough. He can be a little wayward, but that wasn't surprising with Flood out. Both Youngs and 36 threw a few wild passes.

You know with Youngs you're going to get some quick breaks and it was a nice delayed pass for the final try. His kicking was a bit dodgy at times.

Dickson's not doing himself any harm at all and seems very solid. It helps that he offers something different.

Such a shame Care got himself chucked out though, to add more competition for the spot more than anything else as I still think Youngs is the first choice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Sun 08 Jan 2012, 9:30 am

how about Spencer?

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 08 Jan 2012, 10:14 am

Lee Dickson is a different type of scrum half to Youngs and it would offer a nice contrast to have him in the squad.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 08 Jan 2012, 10:46 am

Would be great to see. The contrast is simple:
Youngs the more dangerous runner, Dickson the better distributor.
Gives England the choice to play the skill set and game plan needed against any particular team.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Sun 08 Jan 2012, 12:08 pm

Youngs, Dickson, Simpson.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 08 Jan 2012, 12:44 pm

"For me this weekend i would like to see Lee Dickson the Saints scrum half, he is just what England have been looking for for a long time. He gives quick ball, clears the ball out from the scrum, and drives his forwards on."

Why is it what England have been looking for? Youngs had been one of the few success stories over the years and is a proven performer on the world stage (Aus, Arg etc).

Dickson generally shines when Saints dismantle the opposition upfront, how often do England do this? I like Dickson but Youngs he isn't

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sun 08 Jan 2012, 1:06 pm

I'd start with Youngs and stick Dickson in as replacement. Dickson would be a good impact sub and play quick ball against tired opposition.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Sun 08 Jan 2012, 6:31 pm

EnglishReign wrote:I'd start with Youngs and stick Dickson in as replacement. Dickson would be a good impact sub and play quick ball against tired opposition.
Agree with this 100%, would be my choice against Scotland. Dickson plays at a faster tempo and gets the ball away fatser than Youngs, but Youngs has the better all round game and as someone posted above when Dickson has a bad game it can be very bad.

It is a shame that Care was such a Holly Wilaboobie. An England EPS with Youngs, Care & Dickson as the 3 scrum half's is a pretty strong selection to choose from.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 09 Jan 2012, 12:33 am

B91212 wrote:It is a shame that Care was such a Holly Wilaboobie. An England EPS with Youngs, Care & Dickson as the 3 scrum half's is a pretty strong selection to choose from.
'Holly Wilaboobie' eh Macclads? I'll beat this automatic censoring if it's the last thing I do boxing

(nowhere as good as 'cuddle in a bad way' though, please try harder!)

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down