The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sven sacked

+7
sodhat
Kenny
Corporalhumblebucket
dyrewolfe
GG
Crimey
Fernando
11 posters

Go down

Sven sacked Empty Sven sacked

Post by Fernando Mon 24 Oct 2011, 7:28 pm

Sky Sports sources understand Sven Goran Eriksson has been sacked as manager of Leicester City.

A meeting was held with the club's Thai owners for several hours on Monday and it was decided to part company with the former England boss.

Eriksson's last match in charge was the 3-0 defeat to Millwall at the weekend which left Leicester in 13th position in the Championship, but just two points off the play-offs.

Leicester's owners, King Power, are understood to be unhappy with the return on a £10million summer spending spree as they target a return to the Premier League.

And as a result they have dismissed Eriksson, who only took charge on a two-year contract in October 2010.

Former Leicester boss Martin O'Neill will be installed as a favourite to take charge at King Power Stadium, having left a successful first spell at the club in 2000.

The sacking at Leicester is a latest setback in English club football for Eriksson after parting company with Manchester City in 2008 and a bizarre spell at Notts County in 2009.

source: skysports

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Sven sacked Empty Re: Sven sacked

Post by Guest Mon 24 Oct 2011, 7:34 pm

Always liked Sven, hope he sticks around in English football. His new column in the Indy (I think) will be interesting this week Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 24 Oct 2011, 7:37 pm

I think he is a good manager, but his England experience seems to have pretty much destroyed his own confidence as a manager as since then he seems to have struggled everywhere.

I think Leicester with the money they have spent expected results, and Sven didn't bring them, they had to make a quick decision as to whether hope he could turn it around and try and change something, they've gone for the latter and it will be interesting to see whether that works out.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 24 Oct 2011, 7:39 pm

They are 5 points from 2nd place and he had a win percentage of 44% with Leicester so to me this just seem completely stupid

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:31 pm

Rolling Eyes

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 24 Oct 2011, 9:38 pm

fernando wrote:They are 5 points from 2nd place and he had a win percentage of 44% with Leicester so to me this just seem completely stupid

Sadly, thats owners for you these days...particularly very wealthy foreign owners. Far too trigger happy. Expect immediate results and aren't willing to do things properly (i.e. give a manager 2 or 3 seasons to build a squad and develop players and tactics).

I think they expected Leicester to be pushing for automatic promotion this season and given their very mixed results so far, it looks like they've lost patience (or confidence) in Sven's abilities. To be honest, 5 points off second place or not, the way they've been playing, they could just as easily finish mid-table.

While I do feel sorry for SGE to a certain extent, I'm guessing he knew what was expected of him when he signed the contract. I feel sorry for him because there is still every possibility he would have got automatic promotion, but he probably knew it was a high-risk venture.

I hope if he decides to go back into management, he goes back to Italy or Scandinavia, where he's had success before. I imagine after England, Man City and now Leicester, his stock must be pretty low over here now. Wish him the best of luck whatever he does though.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Oct 2011, 10:25 pm

Might be in a minority here but I believe it's the right decision. I am only guessing but I imagine Leicester have the highest wage bill after West Ham and if the board expect promotion at the first pop then it's best to act now than wait until around Easter time to make the change which could be too late.

Sven has made an absolute mint working in this country but has done very little. Alot has been made of his reputation but in reality he's achieved nothing since his Lazio days when he won the scudetto....after spending ridiculous amounts of money in doing so!

I actually think a director of football role is perfect for him somewhere though and wouldn't be surprised to see him take that role up somewhere else either here or abroad.

Had this sacking happened a month ago he could well of ended up at Inter Milan. Terrible timing!

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 24 Oct 2011, 10:29 pm

He'll be available for Man U if Sir Alec gets sack after the drubbing by City Whistle

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 24 Oct 2011, 10:55 pm

Martin O'Neil to return as next boss ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 25 Oct 2011, 12:46 pm

Well, he's done well with them before - built them into a pretty good side on a budget. The fans would probably love him to go back. Imagine what he could do with a decent transfer kitty.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 25 Oct 2011, 12:50 pm

While questions could have been asked, I do think it was a premature sacking to be honest. The side still had a bit of gelling to do, and lest we forget, this is a mighty tough division to get out of. I don't think there will be a runaway winner and with a new man in place Leicester may still be looking at play-offs only.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Essence_of_Excellence Tue 25 Oct 2011, 2:24 pm

I'm sorry but if you look everywhere he has been since England he has spent a fortune for mediocre results. I am baffled as to how he does it...I reckon he is the don of Champ Manager!

I never rate him as a man motivator which I think is probably more important than this league as most style of play is hoof and hope!

The_Essence_of_Excellence

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 25 Oct 2011, 3:08 pm

I think he did a decent enough job at City and was unlucky to lose his job to be honest.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Oct 2011, 3:46 pm

I agree, both he and Hughes were unlucky to be given the boot by City. I still think both could do a great job at a low level Premier League club; if Blackburn were to sack Kean I think either could go in and turn it around.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 26 Oct 2011, 5:49 pm

I get a feeling Martin O'Neill has lost the love of football, seemed very frustrated by the goings on at Aston Villa and may have just fallen out of love with the game.

However there is a chance he would come back for Leicester given they have a bit of money realistically still in a good position and have a very strong squad. Could be enough to give him a bit of a drive.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 29 Oct 2011, 2:44 pm

Looks like they are getting Neil Lennon, should be interesting.
They should have stuck with Craig Levien. Think of all the money they have spent and managers employed and they are still no higher up the league.
Levien would have built a decent team in that time, they would certainly be in the Welsh and English premier League.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 30 Oct 2011, 3:23 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Looks like they are getting Neil Lennon, should be interesting.
They should have stuck with Craig Levien. Think of all the money they have spent and managers employed and they are still no higher up the league.
Levien would have built a decent team in that time, they would certainly be in the Welsh and English premier League.

We should rename it 95% English and 5% Welsh Premier League.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by A Fine Folk. Mon 31 Oct 2011, 6:07 pm

Shows the strength of the Ex-England managers, with Sven and Mclaren sacked from Championship clubs 13 games into the Season.

A Fine Folk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down