The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC extend Wimbledon deal until 2017

+2
time please
Fernando
6 posters

Go down

BBC extend Wimbledon deal until 2017  Empty BBC extend Wimbledon deal until 2017

Post by Fernando Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:26 pm

Wimbledon will continue to be broadcast on the BBC until at least 2017.

BBC Sport has agreed a three-year extension to its current contract as host broadcaster and UK rights holder, extending its relationship with the All England Lawn Tennis Club to 90 years.

The new deal, which reaffirms the BBC's long term commitment to delivering the best sporting events to licence fee payers, will continue to give audiences unprecedented access to the tournament across all platforms including TV, radio, online, red button, mobile and tablet.

Ian Ritchie, chief executive of the All England Club, said: "Wimbledon fans have been enjoying the BBC's broadcast coverage of The Championships since 1927 and we are delighted to be extending this enduring and successful partnership for a further three years."

Barbara Slater, director of BBC Sport, said: "The BBC's first ever live sport broadcast was from Wimbledon and we are proud that our new deal means the longest partnership in sports broadcasting continues.

"We know that Wimbledon fortnight has a very special place in the hearts of the UK public. We are delighted that our new agreement ensures coverage of The Championships remains free to air and available to licence fee payers."

Good news for people without sky OK

Source: bbc

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

BBC extend Wimbledon deal until 2017  Empty Re: BBC extend Wimbledon deal until 2017

Post by time please Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:29 pm

great news - I can't imagine Wimbledon fortnight without afternoons on BBC 1, switching over to BBC 2 at 6pm

It would be like having to make do without the pimms and strawberries! Wink

time please

Back to top Go down

BBC extend Wimbledon deal until 2017  Empty Re: BBC extend Wimbledon deal until 2017

Post by sirfredperry Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:48 am

So millions of little old ladies - and plenty of others - will not have to rush out to get Sky. At this rate I'll be long gone before BBC ever relinquishes Wimbledon. Can you get Sky in Hell? Presumably, you can only get BBC in Heaven.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:53 am

Good news. I hope they've also extended the contracts of Pat Cash, Andrew Castle & Gary Richardson, as they really make the tournament for me.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:08 am

Good news indeed. These sort of sporting events should always be available to people only with terrestrial television.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:12 am

"Good news. I hope they've also extended the contracts of Pat Cash, Andrew Castle & Gary Richardson, as they really make the tournament for me."

Do I detect some irony here. Cash - classic Okker, totally balanced as he has a chip on each shoulder.
Castle - completely in love with himself (tennis's answer to Mark Nicholas)
Richardson - self-important bloke who believes he invented interviewing.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:41 am

It is great news for Tennis Fans. I have always enjoyed watching the Tennis on the BBC and I am pleased that the BBC have acknowledged the importance of retaining the rights on the face of cuts they are facing.

I wish they could bring back Connors. I loved him commentating. Blunt and to the point.

Get rid of Cash and Richardson for sure.

Keep Castle. Find him strangely luring. laughing

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:45 am

Yes Jimmy Connors and John McEnroe - great to listen to them and their reminisces.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:37 am

legendkillar wrote:keep Castle. Find him strangely luring. laughing

Laugh seek help legend, seek help! Though I must admit that I find him strangely complusive viewing too Laugh

As long as Johnny Mac and Bonk*ng Boris continue to grace our screens, I'm happy. Boris looks more and more decadent and louche every tournament!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:44 am

Yes but Boris struggles so much with his English, although the BBC with their sport just love having on foreigners who cannot express themselves. Older posters, though, will unfondly recall the efforts of an Englishwoman - Ann Jones - who was without doubt the WORST sports commentator I have ever heard. She hardly improved at all, yet the Beeb trotted her out year after year.
Another awful native was Mark Cox, who could make even the most interesting match sound amazingly dull - almost a complete contrast to the perceived role of commentators now.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:50 am

Ann Jones was deadly dull to listen to I agree Sir Fred. Boris struggles a little, but he just manages to have a just got out of bed voice as well as eyes and hairstyle - and those wonderfully loud and crass outfits - he is a wonderful antidote to the Ann Jones of the All England Club.

He has to stay Very Happy

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:11 am

time please wrote:
legendkillar wrote:keep Castle. Find him strangely luring. laughing

Laugh seek help legend, seek help! Though I must admit that I find him strangely complusive viewing too Laugh

As long as Johnny Mac and Bonk*ng Boris continue to grace our screens, I'm happy. Boris looks more and more decadent and louche every tournament!

Laugh Don't know what it is about the guy. It must the time he spent on the orange sofa's!!

I like the Mac and 9 second Boris.

I like Goodall. Does some interesting analysis. Wish he was given more air-time.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down