The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey news/articles

+33
JDizzle
Bull
NickisBHAFC
kwinigolfer
Kidderlad
king_carlos
Biltong
msp83
LOVERBOY
HantsHenry
chrisss
Mike Selig
Derbyblue
kingdaveeagle
Mat
SimonofSurrey
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
thegooch7
Good Golly I'm Olly
atletico86
jimbohammers
jbd349
Shelsey93
jimbobgooner
Dulwich_Dog
Tibor
ChrisfromStroud
chichestersurryfan
Carrotdude
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
ShankyCricket
Fists of Fury
37 posters

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Surrey news/articles - Page 15 Empty Surrey news/articles

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 1 Nov 2011 - 10:32

First topic message reminder :

Hi guys

Just a quick one to let you know that I have spoken with All Out Cricket regarding the amount of Surrey fans we have here at 606v2, and they're going to look to provide any Surrey related blogs/news/articles that they have to this section. Given that their office is located near to the Oval, they often chat with the Surrey guys and as such get some good interviews, so hopefully they can get some of those across here for you fellas to get your teeth into.

Cheers

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Surrey news/articles - Page 15 Empty Re: Surrey news/articles

Post by king_carlos Fri 19 Apr 2013 - 17:02

He's impressed in T20 in recent season to be fair. About as good a signing as we could've hoped for alongside Ponting and Smith.

1.Smith (c)
2.Le Roi king
3.Interesting (wk)
4.Mahmood
5.Brain
6.Solanki
7.Third Degree/Wilson/Ansari/Jewell
8.Batty
9.Meaker
10.Tremlett
11.Dernbach

Jewell could well come into the one day stuff to add some extra batting to the lower order given how low on batsmen we are. It's pretty hard to predict the 6 and 7 spots with Mahmood being signed as himself and the Brain maybe viewed as a sufficient 5th bowling option meaning we'll try to shoe-horn another batsmen in. Personally I'd like to back Ansari to ensure we have a second spinner when needed (which is often in t20).

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 19 Apr 2013 - 18:23

The Berger Van made his highest first class score to date, of 34, against Notts. clap

He seems to bat around no 8 for Durham MCCU. Generally a good plan not to be a complete mug with the bat if you are trying to make your way as a spinner.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 19 Apr 2013 - 21:33

Took 4 wickets in the second innings as well - although looking at the scorecard it seems that Notts were hitting out when they fell. Still a good return from the match for the young lad.

Just realised reading more into the Mahmood signing that he's not an overseas player anymore which means the batting will be looking much stronger when/if Smith and Ponting alongside Mahmood are around in the t20.

1.Smith (c)
2.Roy
3.Ponting
4.Davies (wk)
5.Mahmood
6.De Bruyn
7.Ansari/Solanki/Jewell/Wilson/Burns - hard to call currently
8.Batty
9.Meaker
10.Tremlett
11.Dernbach

If (and it's a big if) we can get all those guys on the pitch we actually have the makings of decent t20 side there. Personally I'd play Ansari as no 7 to get a second spinner in there.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 19 Apr 2013 - 22:17

King - thanks for that. I had originaly overlooked that Mahmood is ''now qualified as a non-overseas player'' (per the club release). That's certainly significant with Smith and Ponting likely to sometimes be available together.

The other player who should come into the mix on occasions is a certain Kevin Pietersen ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 19 Apr 2013 - 22:24

Not an overseas and in fact not even a Kolpak. To allow him to participate in the IPL he now plays all of his cricket under an English passport.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Apr 2013 - 11:02

Azhar is a fantastic signing! Will add even more expeirence lol, also his death bowling is fantastic, and we all know what he can do with the bat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sun 21 Apr 2013 - 11:23

Mahmood is certainly a good signing you would say, adds some nouse and some big hitting that we may be lacking this year. It also allows us to not play the Brain in this format which would be nice as his batting isn't exactly explosive is it?

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 21 Apr 2013 - 11:37

Carrot - I'm slightly sceptical about the benefits of signing a 38 year old for T20 - our track record with signing up players on the verge of retirement is not too hot! But maybe this time will prove an exception.... Certainly think he was one of the best T20 players around

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 21 Apr 2013 - 12:27

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Carrot - I'm slightly sceptical about the benefits of signing a 38 year old for T20 - our track record with signing up players on the verge of retirement is not too hot! But maybe this time will prove an exception.... Certainly think he was one of the best T20 players around
Yes, we do seem to have an uncanny knack of signing decent players just at the time they descend the hill!

Besides that, I'm uncomfortable with the sort of message this gives to younger players like Jewell, Dunn and Edwards. I'm not for a moment advocating all three should play in every t20 game but it would be good (as regards building a cohesive unit for the future) to give them more first team experience and this would be a useful way of doing that. Azhar's signing doesn't rule that out but it limits the options.

Maybe I'm being hypocritical as I'll certainly be cheering Azhar and us on should we reach T20's Final Day. Just can't get over the feeling now that it smacks of too much short-termism.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 21 Apr 2013 - 12:46

Further to my last post, Adams has been in touch to emphasise there's a lot to be said for experience and that our ideal t20 line up when available this season will be this eleven, all aged over 30: Wink

1. Smith (capt)
2. Solanki (wkt - as per Carrot, he's done the job for England!)
3. Ponting
4. Pietersen
5. de Bruyn
6. Azhar Mahmood
7. Batty
8. Lewis
9. Tremlett
10. Linley
11. Keedy
12th creature: King Carlos' dog (pushing 60 in human equivalent to canine years and still retrieving things, might be useful in bringing balls back if Keedy doesn't improve!). Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 21 Apr 2013 - 16:27

guildfordbat wrote:Further to my last post, Adams has been in touch to emphasise there's a lot to be said for experience and that our ideal t20 line up when available this season will be this eleven, all aged over 30: Wink

1. Smith (capt)
2. Solanki (wkt - as per Carrot, he's done the job for England!)
3. Ponting
4. Pietersen
5. de Bruyn
6. Azhar Mahmood
7. Batty
8. Lewis
9. Tremlett
10. Linley
11. Keedy
12th creature: King Carlos' dog (pushing 60 in human equivalent to canine years and still retrieving things, might be useful in bringing balls back if Keedy doesn't improve!). Very Happy

Laugh Good to see he's got the fans on his side - with Adams esteemed record of listening to the wisdom of the fans when picking a 38 year old medium pacer (Is Jon still a seamer?) over a youngster like Dunn, or the inspiration of picking two spinners in April, how could he ignore our pleas for Ralph (terrible dog name IMO but he got it as a sheep dog) to return to the Oval!

If we're looking for an alternative 12th man to spice up the changing room Gary Pratt is a free agent at current. Having KP and Smith then Pratt and Ponting in the same side would ensure a 'lively' atmosphere to keep the over 30's on their toes. Whistle

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Sun 21 Apr 2013 - 17:02

SIgning Mahmood as a non overseas player suggest we may still bring in a second overseas player for the T20 (or is Ponting going to be around with SMith?), I agree with those saying this is a poor message to the youngsters.

I keep reading we have a great set of young players, lets give them a go.

T20 Team

Smith
Davies
Ponting
Pietersen
Roy
Burns
Mahmood
Ansari
Batty
Dunn
Dernbach

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 21 Apr 2013 - 17:44

king_carlos wrote:

If we're looking for an alternative 12th man to spice up the changing room Gary Pratt is a free agent at current. Having KP and Smith then Pratt and Ponting in the same side would ensure a 'lively' atmosphere to keep the over 30's on their toes. Whistle
clap Laugh

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 21 Apr 2013 - 17:55

MuchHappierSurreyFan wrote:SIgning Mahmood as a non overseas player suggest we may still bring in a second overseas player for the T20 (or is Ponting going to be around with SMith?), I agree with those saying this is a poor message to the youngsters.

I keep reading we have a great set of young players, lets give them a go.

T20 Team

Smith
Davies
Ponting
Pietersen
Roy
Burns
Mahmood
Ansari
Batty
Dunn
Dernbach

Hi MucHappier - Smith and Ponting are expected to be around together some of the same time. I therefore don't see us signing another overseas player for the t20s.

Useful side although might want an extra bowling option (come back Spriegel!). Also, I don't know how much we'll be able to play Pietersen.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun 21 Apr 2013 - 18:28

Based on his recent form with Kent, at the BPL and for Kings XI I'd expect Azhar to bat in the top four. Ponting will have to open, or else would find himself sliding down the order:

Smith/ Solanki
Ponting/ Solanki
Mahmood
Davies (wk)
Roy
Burns/ Wilson (form dependent)
Ansari
Batty
Meaker
Tremlett
Dernbach

Solanki has a good record in the T20, so I'd expect him to play, at least when Surrey don't have both Smith and Ponting. Keedy too would be expected to play, but the Ansari option looks a better bet to me. I wouldn't plan for KP's involvement. At most he'll play a couple of games.

Not a perfectly balanced team (I'd question the wisdom of having two relatively slow scoring overseas openers). However, I'd still say Surrey are among the favourites in T20. Certainly, I'd imagine that they should get out of the South Group quite comfortably.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Sun 21 Apr 2013 - 19:08

Shelsey, Im happy with that team of yours other than Meaker, as destructive as he can be he has never been economical in any form of the game. I know nobody is economical in T20 but relatively speaking if the average bowler goes for 8 an over Meaker will go for 11 an over.

I think Smith can be a quicker score than you think and with Davies, Mahmood and Roy in the team the run rate will be fine

Either way both Ponting and Smith are quicker scorers than the Brain so its a step up from last season

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 24 Apr 2013 - 21:50

Cambridge (captained by Surrey's ZS Ansari) took a hammering from Middlesex today. Ansari bowled respectably - taking 1 for 57 off 20 overs - and was the most economical of the Cambs bowlers. His brother AS Ansari was less fortunate, bowling 3 overs for 43. Shocked

Meanwhile, Spriegel again missing from Northants starting line up. Looks as tho his wish to get regular first class cricket still some way from realisation.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 26 Apr 2013 - 23:36

Ansari scored 72 today, top scoring in the defeat against Middlesex. Good if he plays himself into some form before returning to Surrey.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 1 May 2013 - 8:44

Hi all, what do you guys think the Surrey team for Middx will be (I am writing a preview)?

I've so far suggested Harinath for Roy (with Harinath perhaps batting 5, and Wilson staying at 3), with Meaker possibly replacing Tremlett or Linly?

----

Also, I notice on the Surrey website that no fewer than three players are being trialled by Surrey 2s this week - former Durham 2s batsman Ben Raine, and two former Nottinghamshire players: Akhil (brother of Samit) Patel and Karl Turner.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 1 May 2013 - 11:07

Hi Shelsey,

I suspect Harinath will replace Roy.

Harinath made 60 odd for the seconds in yesterday's one day game against Sussex at Blackstone. In another one day game against the same opposition at the same venue today, Roy has replaced Harinath. Adams is keen on getting the players who may feature in the next (first team) match altogether the day before at the Oval. That presumably now includes Harinath (who isn't at Blackstone any more) and certainly excludes Roy (who is!).

This all suggests to me that Roy will make way and that Harinath will come back in against Middlesex. Where in the batting order is tricky though. After Wilson did so well at number three last time out against Sussex, there's a strong case for him him staying there. However, Harinath normally either opens or bats at three. I'm not aware of him having batted lower down.

One possible option would be for the first 7 in the card to read in order: Burns, Smith, Harinath, Solanki, Wilson, Davies, de Bruyn. That allows Harinath to bat at a usual position and, whilst Wilson moves down, it's not so low as number seven where he batted in the season's opener against Somerset. De Bruyn is badly out of form and the number seven spot reflects that.

If Meaker is fit, he'll definitely play. He can be on the expensive side but his outstandng pace normally gets wickets. I understand he is fit although am just a bit surprised he didn't play in yesterday's seconds game as a check.

Who makes way for Meaker? It shouldn't be Linley as he was our best bowler against Sussex; however, as Carrot has sadly but wisely commented, Linley is less of a name and that might see him carrying the drinks. Tremlett proved his fitness but not his bowling ability (the solitary wicket of Panesar for 80 odd runs). Although I feel CC matches shouldn't be used as personal fitness sessions for Tremlett, I think he'll get another go against Middlesex.

Despite starting the season with a fivefer, Dernbach has only taken one wicket in the last two innings in which he's bowled. His place must be in some doubt. Additionally, his bizarre interview with the Sunday Mail won't have helped his cause. If you push me, I think Dernbach will sit this one out although it'll be a mighty close call.

The left field choice would be to play all four front line seamers (Meaker could bat at eight at a pinch) and omit Batty. With Middlesex's own highly potent seam attack - including Surrey's nemesis Roland-Jones -I don't imagine the Lord's wicket will have been prepared with slow bowlers in mind. [EDIT: meant to add that Solanki can fill in with a bit of slow stuff - he somehow picked up two wickets against Sussex!]

Sorry if I've given rambling thoughts rather than simple answers.

With regard to Surrey trialling three batsmen in the seconds this week, we have to do that as Roy (or Harinath) is currently the only reserve batsman on our books who is available until Zafar Ansari and Dominic Sibley join up after uni / school exams. Our squad is very poorly balanced with too few batsmen and an over abundance of seamers.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 1 May 2013 - 14:09

13 man Surrey squad just announced.

As rather expected, Roy misses out. Meaker also not included - almost certainly still injured which explains his absence from the seconds' match yesterday for a try out.

Lewis comes in for the first time this season. That may slightly increase the chances of Batty being left out and our playing a 4 man frontline seam attack. Although I do not rate Lewis as a bowler (he conceded or rather 'gifted' 100 CC runs to opponents last season through no balls! - please put that in your preview, Shelsey!), he could more comfortably bat at number eight than Meaker.

Keedy also retains his place in the squad - more likely because he's an expensive new signing rather than there being a realistic chance of him playing.

Harinath is the third name on the listed squad whilst Wilson's is the seventh. That's probably a strong indicator of the batting positions.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 1 May 2013 - 14:21

guildfordbat wrote:13 man Surrey squad just announced.

As rather expected, Roy misses out. Meaker also not included - almost certainly still injured which explains his absence from the seconds' match yesterday for a try out.

Lewis comes in for the first time this season. That may slightly increase the chances of Batty being left out and our playing a 4 man frontline seam attack. Although I do not rate Lewis as a bowler (he conceded or rather 'gifted' 100 CC runs to opponents last season through no balls! - please put that in your preview, Shelsey!), he could more comfortably bat at number eight than Meaker.

Keedy also retains his place in the squad - more likely because he's an expensive new signing rather than there being a realistic chance of him playing.

Harinath is the third name on the listed squad whilst Wilson's is the seventh. That's probably a strong indicator of the batting positions.

Unfortunately your second post just missed my deadline, so no Lewis no-balls... Sad

Anyway, here is the link - http://deepextracover.com/home/middlesex-v-surrey-preview/

Middlesex have sprung a surprise - Rayner is dropped and an extra batsman comes in. That will leave the batting, in Fists' words, as deep as the Mariana Trench - likely Stirling 7, Berg 8, TRJ 9, Murtagh 10, Finn (England's newest Test half-centurion) 11

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 1 May 2013 - 14:45

Middlesex's Twitter feed have corrected me, telling me that TRJ did not play for Surrey's age group squad but only trialled there... apologies for that.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 1 May 2013 - 14:59

guildfordbat wrote:13 man Surrey squad just announced.

match thread up guildford Smile

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 1 May 2013 - 15:09

Shelsey93 wrote:

Unfortunately your second post just missed my deadline, so no Lewis no-balls... Sad

Anyway, here is the link - http://deepextracover.com/home/middlesex-v-surrey-preview/

Middlesex have sprung a surprise - Rayner is dropped and an extra batsman comes in. That will leave the batting, in Fists' words, as deep as the Mariana Trench - likely Stirling 7, Berg 8, TRJ 9, Murtagh 10, Finn (England's newest Test half-centurion) 11

Hi again Shelsey - very polished article. One query - you refer to Berg at 8 in your post above but don't mention him as being in the squad in your article?

Anyway, Rayner's omission might cause Surrey to further consider Batty's position. It does seem daft that we've also included Keedy in a 13 man squad for a wicket which is not expected to take spin.

Btw, copyright on use of ''the Mariana Trench'' is actually owned by the Corporal and was only loaned to Fists! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 1 May 2013 - 15:38

Great spot, guildford.

Just checked Middx website article and Berg out with a shoulder injury. A bit of disconnect between my blurb (drafted by me before squad announcement, modified by editor after) and the squad (added by editor after)! Berg ought to have got a mention in the blurb, but didn't.

Collymore back in and I guess he'll play as one of 4 seamers then (and make the batting order significantly weaker - perhaps the English Channel).

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 1 May 2013 - 22:31

guildfordbat wrote:...Btw, copyright on use of ''the Mariana Trench'' is actually owned by the Corporal and was only loaned to Fists! Very Happy

I think Fists might dispute that - better not mention that on the Warks thread Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 5 May 2013 - 20:02

Today's sightings - at least on the scorecard .....Spriegel putting in an appearance for Northants in the 40 over competition. Bowled more economically than most, but didnt do a lot with the bat.

Lancefield opening batting for the Unicorns.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 8 May 2013 - 18:29

Graeme Smith looks set to miss the remainer of the season because he needs ankle surgery, says George Dobell - http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/634768.html

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 8 May 2013 - 19:32

Now confirmed by Surrey - http://www.kiaoval.com/smith-to-return-to-south-africa/

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 8 May 2013 - 19:44

This is rubbish news, means Roy will come in for the CC matches though at least, probably at 7 with everyone moving up one but it wouldn't surprise me if he opened.

We'll miss Smith's captaincy for sure, I wonder if it will be Batty who takes over again?

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 8 May 2013 - 21:18

Bad news.. Sad We'll be stretched even more thinly at any times when Wilson needed by Ireland. At least Solanki doing better than I expected, just need Brain to get some runs and we may well scrape by. I assume Batty might well stand in again as captain - tho not sure where Davies would figure - is he still vice captain?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 8 May 2013 - 21:32

Terrible news. Will have a massively deflating effect on the Club and its supporters.

Certainly brings home how short we are of batsmen in the squad. Other than Roy, we have no one in reserve until Ansari and Sibley* finish their summer exams. I suspect Wilson will be off with Ireland before they're available. Gulp!

Can we bring someone else in? Two potential problems. Firstly, it won't be easy to find anyone at this stage of the season. Also, I assume we'll still be paying Smith meaning we'll almost certainly be near to the salary cap and so won't be allowed to chuck vast amounts of dosh at others.

Probably Batty to take on the captaincy once more although an outside bet could be Solanki.

* Bit of better news - Sibley hit an undefeated 130 odd on Monday as the Academy team thrashed a 'strong' Guildford side by over 100 runs on Monday.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 8 May 2013 - 21:37

Corporal - just seen your post.

Re Davies - think everyone is delighted as to how well he's started the season but suspect the feeling is not to burden him now with further responsibilities given where he was only a few months ago.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 8 May 2013 - 21:55

I guess Surrey will struggle to bring in an additional overseas for financial reasons, though Ponting may be able to come slightly earlier/ stay slightly later.*

I suppose it might be good for them to get somebody either on loan or sign someone on a short-term contract. But in truth there aren't many particularly good players out there - of this years Unicorns intake, Scott Elstone (formerly of Notts) and ironically Tom Lancefield are probably the best bets. But neither could replace Smith. Ben Raine and Akhil Patel continue to feature for Surrey 2s.

Batty has been named captain for the Durham game.

* Only slightly, because of the IPL and I think he is also signed up for a West Indian T20 tournament, though I don't know exactly when that is.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 8 May 2013 - 22:04

Burns replacing Smith in the squad for the YB40 match against Durham. I expect that will be the only change in the actual team, with Jewell, Linley and Curran again missing out. No doubt Jimbob will start a suitable thread for that match....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 8 May 2013 - 22:15

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Burns replacing Smith in the squad for the YB40 match against Durham. I expect that will be the only change in the actual team, with Jewell, Linley and Curran again missing out. No doubt Jimbob will start a suitable thread for that match....
Cool

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 8 May 2013 - 22:24

Shelsey - many (including me) thought it was wrong that Lancefied was released and still do. However, even if Adams has now come round to that view I very much doubt he would be prepared to publicly acknowledge it and re-sign Lancefield.

Elstone might just be a possible signing - obviously not as a direct replacement for Smith but as an addition to the squad. Ironically, I believe Elstone is currently living in Matt Spriegel's London flat whilst Spriegel bides his time in Northants playing for their seconds! How we could also do with Spriegel still being on board.

Meantime, we continue to stuff our second eleven with trialists as we have no reserve batsmen or play a combo side with the likes of Kent. What a mess and to think that Adams disagreed with me at the AGM when I suggested the balance of the squad was wrong!

Like you, Shelsey, I don't know full details about any further possible availability for Ponting but believe it's pretty limited. In any case, he won't be cheap and would surely soon push us closer to the salary cap.

In the meantime, Batty skippers against Durham in the 40 over match against Durham tomorrow with the suggestion (not entirely clear on the Club website) that he'll be doing the job full time in Smith's absence. Burns takes Smith's place in that squad.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 9 May 2013 - 16:24

In an interview with Churchy, Smith has made clear that he won't play again this season and that Batty will captain the side in his absence.

Not too surprising about Smith given last night's news but still extremely disappointing.

Batty is the best man to now lead the team but a great shame for him and all that it already looks like being a backs to the wall season.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 9 May 2013 - 21:14

13 man squad just announced for the CC match starting tomorrow (note - at 12 noon) at the Oval against Durham.

Roy comes in for Smith and Meaker returns whilst Lewis (who was in the last squad for the Middlesex match but didn't play) drops out. Keedy keeps his squad place although I think he's little chance of playing. Batty captains.

Perhaps significantly, Keedy and Tremlett are the 12th and 13th names listed. Sorry - I've already trod too much on JimBob's toes!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 9 May 2013 - 21:18

guildfordbat wrote:13 man squad just announced for the CC match starting tomorrow (note - at 12 noon) at the Oval against Durham.

Roy comes in for Smith and Meaker returns whilst Lewis (who was in the last squad for the Middlesex match but didn't play) drops out. Keedy keeps his squad place although I think he's little chance of playing. Batty captains.

Perhaps significantly, Keedy and Tremlett are the 12th and 13th names listed. Sorry - I've already trod too much on JimBob's toes!
warning

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 11 May 2013 - 8:54

Particularly for the Corporal, Chichester and Carrot

Whilst at the match yesterday, I listened to Churchy on a ear piece. At one point, he was contrasting the high tech broadcasting facilities at the Oval with those sometimes encountered ''on the road''. The outdoor conditions at Guildford got a specific mention. His co-commentator from Durham was somewhat incredulous and asked, ''What happens if it rains?''.

Churchy's deadpan reply was perhaps predictable but still a gem, ''You get wet.'' Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 11 May 2013 - 9:15

guildfordbat wrote:Particularly for the Corporal, Chichester and Carrot

Whilst at the match yesterday, I listened to Churchy on a ear piece. At one point, he was contrasting the high tech broadcasting facilities at the Oval with those sometimes encountered ''on the road''. The outdoor conditions at Guildford got a specific mention. His co-commentator from Durham was somewhat incredulous and asked, ''What happens if it rains?''.

Churchy's deadpan reply was perhaps predictable but still a gem, ''You get wet.'' Very Happy

Guildford - thanks! At least it sounds as though Churchy having to crouch in the drizzle may be the exception rather than the norm... Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 13 May 2013 - 21:41

I'm beginning to think that Surrey management have the mentality of mountaineers.

Q. Why do you climb Mount Everest? A. Because it's there.
Q. Why do you sign Lewis, Keedy? A. Because they were available.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 14 May 2013 - 10:10

Surrey squad to play Notts sees Keedy dropped, with Lewis, Dernbach and Tremlett all in.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 27 May 2013 - 10:34

According to the normally reliable local journalist Richard Spiller, Ricky Ponting is due to arrive in the country this week and meet up with his new Surrey team mates at Derbys whom we play in the YB 40 on Weds night and in the CC starting on Thurs. Whether Ponting will be here in time to actually play in either of those matches seems uncertain.

He should at least definitely play in the YB 40 against Essex at Chelmsford a week today and then two days later in the CC against Warks at Guildford starting Weds 5 June.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 28 May 2013 - 14:39

Player tweets today refer to the Surrey first team squad meeting up tonight in Derbys with both Ricky Ponting and Azhar Mahmood.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue 28 May 2013 - 23:10

Cheers for Jordan btw kiss

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 29 May 2013 - 14:29

NickisBHAFC wrote:Cheers for Jordan btw kiss
raspberry

jimbobgooner