The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Battle of Dave Parade - Dragons v Blues

+17
Cari
Knowsit17
Shifty
manofgwent
dragon999
RuckingFlanker86
Luckless Pedestrian
Smirnoffpriest
munkian
Londonwelsh
bedfordwelsh
wales606
youngguns6
maestegmafia
ScarletSpiderman
Impossible Standards
XR
21 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Battle of Dave Parade - Dragons v Blues Empty The Battle of Dave Parade - Dragons v Blues

Post by XR Tue 01 Nov 2011, 11:05 am

Looking forward to this game on friday, should be good. We were convincingly beaten last season at Dave, i just hope that the players have learned much needed lessons. We can't just turn up at DP and expect a win (maybe when we play at home Wink ) so we need to turn up.

I hope we introduce our WC players as starters and not off the bench, they need to get straight in to the game and get stuck in. Rather than trot on after 60, no point in that.

I'm optimistic that the boys returning might galvanise the blues and we do have the quality to win, but the Dragons treat their home matches against us and the Ospreys as the biggest of thier season...so we have to front up.

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Rhys Thomas
3. Tau Filise
4. Deiniol Jones
5. Bradley Davies
6. Michael Paterson
7. Josh Navidi
8. Xavier Rush

9. Lloyd Williams
10. Ceri Sweeney
11. Tom James
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Casey Laulala
14. Richard Mustoe
15. Chris Czekaj

That's the team i would pick, Deiniol because he offers more in the ruck and mauls that Tito does and with a pack the dragons, with the fans behind them, will be fired up to take it on up front. For me, Tito offers less in this area than DJ.

Gone for Lloyd Williams to start over Richie Rees, RR had a decent game last week but LW will be pretty confident over how the WC went and him v wayne evans would be a pretty good battle.

Sweeney to start. This is probably the one game of the season where Sweeney actually performs, didn't start last year and look what happened Wink Games against the Dragons at Dave are never going to be territorial, kicking games because the match is physical and loose a lot of the time. So Parks' kicking game isn't really needed, Dave is a tight ground and as i said, the games between these two are usually quite attacking affairs and not the type where kicks for territory are needed much.

Finallly, i've gone for Mustoe on the wing. Cuthbert got injured in the last match and it looked like one which could keep him out so i haven't put him up for selection. Mustoe is dependable, quick around the park and gets stuck in. I could have put Czekaj on the wing and Fish at full back but i feel, definsively, Mustoe is better than Fish and with 1/2p out for a few weeks, Czekaj covers full back.

Dragons fans, who are you expecting to start this match? Hopefully the evening will be a nice, dry one so we can get the expansive game that these matches usually are.

XR

Back to top Go down

The Battle of Dave Parade - Dragons v Blues Empty Re: The Battle of Dave Parade - Dragons v Blues

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 01 Nov 2011, 11:34 am

As a dragons fan I love this fixture. Always great atmosphere from both sets of fans. I would go for:

15 - Thomas
14 - Chavanga
13 - Hughes
12 - Smith
11 - Brew
10 - Tovey
9 - Evans

8 - Evans
7 - Thomas
6 - Coombs
5 - Morgan
4 - Jones
3 - Williams
2 - Burns
1 - Price

I'm hoping Dragons put in a massive performance after the very embarrassing unprofessional display out in Treviso.

Go on dragons smash those city slicker tackle bags in pink shirts!...(got to get the banter going Wink )
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

The Battle of Dave Parade - Dragons v Blues Empty Re: The Battle of Dave Parade - Dragons v Blues

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 01 Nov 2011, 12:16 pm

gcBlues - I would argue with you about starting straight off with you RWC players. Personally I see it as they are unlikely to play a full 80 mins, so why not have them on the bench to strengthen the team as the match goes on. Can you imagine the impact that Jamie Roberts would have replacing Gavin Evans (or Daf Hewitt) in the centre after Ashley Smith has been playing for 45-50mins? If you start off with the like of the big boy and are in a close game, any changes you make will weaken the side, and the Dragons are the sort of team that can pounce on your mistakes at the end of the match an pick up the win (they have done the Scarlets like that enough times).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 01 Nov 2011, 12:49 pm

Sure to be a cracking match. Both teams should be at full strength ahead of the European in a few weeks.

Dragons were very impressive against wasps. Blues less so recently but are sure to be wanting to rectify that as all the world cup stars start to return.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Tue 01 Nov 2011, 3:20 pm

". Both teams should be at full strength ahead of the European in a few weeks."

- dragons will be without charteris, lydaite, Faletau, willis. 3 tighheads, Poole, harries, leach, jones, smith n probs more!

Still, it's going to be a cracker.

I'd be happy with that team imposs. I expect tonys already got his boots on begging to play! I fancy us to sneek it altho it's always a tough game. Looking forward to the centre battle n seeing the Chav in some space!

Stand up for the men of gwent!!

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 01 Nov 2011, 5:39 pm

Blues will be without Warburton and Halfpenny still :/, no Cuthbert either.

I doubt the internationals will start - bar perhaps B.Davies and L.Williams.

1. John Yapp
2. Thomas R Thomas
3. Fau Filise
4. Michael Paterson
5. Bradley Davies
6. Andreus Pretorious (he should be fit by now...?)
7. Josh Navidi
8. Xavier Rush
9. Lloyd Williams
10. Ceri Sweeney (no-one else :/)
11. Tom James
12. Daffydd Hewitt
13. Casey Laulaula
14. Richard Mustoe
15. Chris Czekaj

16. Gethin Jenkins
17. Scott Andrews
18. Ryan Tyrrell
19. Deniol Jones (Tito was awful last week)
20. Mamma Molitika
21. Richie Rees
22. Dan Parks
23. Jamie Roberts
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 01 Nov 2011, 7:07 pm

I know others will dis-agree but I would still be tempted to give our big three some game time against the Blues.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonwelsh Tue 01 Nov 2011, 8:14 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:gcBlues - I would argue with you about starting straight off with you RWC players. Personally I see it as they are unlikely to play a full 80 mins, so why not have them on the bench to strengthen the team as the match goes on. Can you imagine the impact that Jamie Roberts would have replacing Gavin Evans (or Daf Hewitt) in the centre after Ashley Smith has been playing for 45-50mins? If you start off with the like of the big boy and are in a close game, any changes you make will weaken the side, and the Dragons are the sort of team that can pounce on your mistakes at the end of the match an pick up the win (they have done the Scarlets like that enough times).

Yep I agree with this. I wouldn’t just chuck Roberts straight in for this one. G.Jenkins, L.Williams, and B. Davies didn’t actually play that many games in the World Cup for various reasons so I see no reason for them not starting. It could be said that Roberts needs a well deserved rest. I would rather keep him for the Metro game to be honest but if he is to play then as SS says bring him on for the last 15/20 mins.
Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:26 am

Impossible Standards wrote:As a dragons fan I love this fixture. Always great atmosphere from both sets of fans. I would go for:

15 - Thomas
14 - Chavanga
13 - Hughes
12 - Smith
11 - Brew
10 - Tovey
9 - Evans

8 - Evans
7 - Thomas
6 - Coombs
5 - Morgan
4 - Jones
3 - Williams
2 - Burns
1 - Price

I'm hoping Dragons put in a massive performance after the very embarrassing unprofessional display out in Treviso.

Go on dragons smash those city slicker tackle bags in pink shirts!...(got to get the banter going Wink )

I'll be hoping for that lineup given that we probably won't have Toby, Danny and Long Dog back. I am 99% certain we'll perform better than last week, but not sure whether we'll win. Should be a great night. Be great to see Snowy, Teichman and of course Richard Parks there and I hope to finally see the Bisley Stand full.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:42 am

Long dog is having another scan on his wrist Crying or Very sad
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:08 am

Impossible Standards wrote:Long dog is having another scan on his wrist Crying or Very sad

Christ, what is it with us and Injuries ? Do are players throw themselves into games too hard ? Are our physios not up to scratch ? Crying or Very sad
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:13 am

May i ask, who is Long Dog? ¬_¬

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:14 am

Anyone else noticed how packed in the Hazell terrace is now that the other side has been developed? I shouldn't complain really as the developments are great! However, all the terrace regulars from the other side have now decided to join us full time it would seem. It was rammed on our side for the Aironi game, as if it was Welsh derby! Dreading what it's going to be like for the Blues game this week. You can't even get out for a p*ss!

Blues fans, have you bought tickets and if so where are the Dragons placing you? Are they putting you in the Hazell Terrace??? If so, it could be cosy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:18 am

gcBlues wrote:May i ask, who is Long Dog? ¬_¬

Long Dog? The Roof Inspector! (Charteris)

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:32 am

Are North terrace/Hazel terrace tickets interchangeable ?

i.e if it widdles down can people in North terrace run for cover ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:37 am

I'm thinking of going down as a neutral (well leaning towards the Dragons), is it recommended that I buy a ticket in advance, or can I pick one up on the door?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:38 am

Not sure Munkian. When the North Terrace was the Family Stand you couldn't. Friends without Hazell season tickets have tried it when it was the family stand, but stewards stopped them. At least the Family Stand had a cover! I think it might be possible if a steward turns their back, but for safety reasons I doubt they'd allow it as there could a sudden influx into an already at capacity stand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:38 am

Smirnoff, it tends to get pretty full for the Blues game. It's not uncommon to sell out. I'd get a ticket before to be on the safe side.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:58 am

Ok cheers Griff, I'll give them a ring in a bit. I reckon it's going to be a really close exciting game.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:58 am

You'd save three quid by buying in advance too, Smirnoff.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:11 pm

Cheers Griff

You haven't been able to buy Dragon tickets online for a while as far as I know.

I'm sending my Mum to get some in advance as I live in Bristol.

I'll stick to the terrace then, will save the Bisley stand for when Im more flush
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:32 pm

Hazell Terrace is sold out. My wife tried getting herself a ticket yesterday.

You can't interchange from North to Hazell Terrace either, as they've blocked it off.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:40 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Hazell Terrace is sold out. My wife tried getting herself a ticket yesterday.

You can't interchange from North to Hazell Terrace either, as they've blocked it off.

Really ? Eeep.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:48 pm

Yeah. It sounded like the seated area of the Hazell has quite a few seats left though, so it ain't near selling out yet. Obviously the Hazell Terrace was always going to sell out though.

They've definitely blocked off the North and Hazell Terrace walkway now, as you can only access the Hazell Stand through gate 2 now, whereas it used to be 2 and 3.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:49 pm

Yeah sorry fellas it's blocked off as of a few weeks ago. Like mentioned it's to do with the hazel terrace being near to full capacity. May I suggest this:

http://shop.rodneyparade.com/p-172-11-ngd-fibrestorm-umbrella.aspx

Wink
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:58 pm

Might have the gates wrong, but anyway I'm sure your ticket will see you right as to wish one to use.

Dragons squad: M Thomas, T Riley, A Smith, L Robling, A Hughes, T Chavanga, A Brew, S Jones, J Tovey, W Evans, J Bedford, P Price, N Williams, N Buck, D Way, L Burns, R Buckley, R Sidoli, A Jones, S Morgan, L Evans, T Brown, G Thomas, A Coombs, J Groves.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:04 pm

Good old Mum - she's got me a seat at the Hazell stand thumbsup

First time in years of standing - although I'll prob be on my feet shouting most of it ! Yahoo Ale
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:23 pm

Just got my ticket now - was feeling a bit flush so went for the Bisley stand. Seemed to be a choice of seats, so don't think it's near sold out yet.

Get excited about both matches now!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:28 pm

Bet Bisley will have a lot more Cardiff than Dragons supporters
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:30 pm

Ahh well, I'll have to represent the Scarlets there - and of course cheer more loudly every Dragons try!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 4:16 pm

Just saw Tovey on twitter saying Richard Parks gave the Dragons an inspirational talk. I know I'd be inspired by him, so hopefully they'll pull their fingers put of their bums on Friday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Wed 02 Nov 2011, 4:28 pm

Just saw Tovey on twitter saying Richard Parks gave the Dragons an inspirational talk. I know I'd be inspired by him, so hopefully they'll pull their fingers put of their bums on Friday

If anyone could inspire a performance, Parks could. Go Dragons!!!
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Wed 02 Nov 2011, 6:28 pm

I really can't wait for friday, with Max Boyce being there and the firework display after it's going to be a great atmosphere and hopefully a good game.
Anyone know what's going on with the free beer?

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:36 pm

RuckingFlanker86 wrote:I really can't wait for friday, with Max Boyce being there and the firework display after it's going to be a great atmosphere and hopefully a good game.
Anyone know what's going on with the free beer?

Yes it's a local band playing after the game called "free beer" laughing

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 03 Nov 2011, 8:07 am

Anyone got any idea why I cant buy tickets online, is it sold out or can a buy on the night?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 03 Nov 2011, 8:11 am

The website's playing up, I think. Your best bet is to call the ticket office but the Hazell terrace is already sold out.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 03 Nov 2011, 8:12 am

OK cheers LP,
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 03 Nov 2011, 8:23 am

I didn't get tickets on the pretense that the mrs and i would be having an evening in...now she's going for a meal with her friends down the bay and i've got to watch it on the tv Sad

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 03 Nov 2011, 9:07 am

Theres still time to get tickets gcblues

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 03 Nov 2011, 9:29 am

Not going on my own, those earthy Dragon fans get mud all over my winklepickers and tailored suit

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 03 Nov 2011, 9:32 am

Are the Blues organising buses to travel down? You could stick with your own kind then! Wink

Last edited by luckless_pedestrian on Thu 03 Nov 2011, 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I'd used the American spelling of 'organising.')

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 03 Nov 2011, 12:13 pm

Hah Wink

Blue team named

15 Chris Czekaj 14 Alex Cuthbert 13 Casey Laulala 12 Jamie Roberts 11 Tom James 10 Dan Parks 9 Richie Rees

8 Xavier Rush 7 Josh Navidi 6 Michael Paterson 5 James Down 4 Bradley Davies 3 Taufaao Filise 2 T Rhys Thomas (c) 1 Gethin Jenkins

16 Ryan Tyrrell 17 John Yapp / Sam Hobbs 18 Scott Andrews 19 Paul Tito 20 Maama Molitika 21 Lloyd Williams 22 Ceri Sweeney 23 Gavin Evans.

Strongest side we can put out imo.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 03 Nov 2011, 12:22 pm

Hmm, I didn't think the Blues would be playing Jamie Roberts, he's going to be a major threat. But that back three is definitely iffy, Tovey needs to test Czekaj under the high ball and put kicks in behind Tom James.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 03 Nov 2011, 12:26 pm

And here's the Dragons XV:

Martyn Thomas, Tonderai Chavhanga, Adam Hughes, Ashley Smith (c), Aled Brew, Jason Tovey, Wayne Evans, Phil Price, Rhys Buckley, Dan Way, Adam Jones, Scott Morgan, Andrew Coombs, Gavin Thomas, Lewis Evans

Lloyd Burns, Nathan Williams, Nathan Buck, Rob Sidoli, Tom Brown, Joe Bedford, Lewis Robling, Steffan Jones.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 03 Nov 2011, 12:27 pm

Czekaj is fine under a high ball...it's after he's caught it the problems usually start Shocked

Looking forward to Cuthbert v Brew, Cuthbert will definitely test Brew's defence which can be ropey. It's not often he'll face bigger wingers than him, but at 6 foot 6 and over 16 stone with plenty of speed...it's gonna be interesting. Brew can make big hits, but other than that he's a bit of a turnstile at times

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 03 Nov 2011, 12:29 pm

I haven't seen Cuthbert play yet. I hope he has a shocker. Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 03 Nov 2011, 12:30 pm

gcBlues wrote:Hah Wink

Blue team named

15 Chris Czekaj 14 Alex Cuthbert 13 Casey Laulala 12 Jamie Roberts 11 Tom James 10 Dan Parks 9 Richie Rees

8 Xavier Rush 7 Josh Navidi 6 Michael Paterson 5 James Down 4 Bradley Davies 3 Taufaao Filise 2 T Rhys Thomas (c) 1 Gethin Jenkins

16 Ryan Tyrrell 17 John Yapp / Sam Hobbs 18 Scott Andrews 19 Paul Tito 20 Maama Molitika 21 Lloyd Williams 22 Ceri Sweeney 23 Gavin Evans.

Strongest side we can put out imo.

Wow, Cuthbert is back quick. (thought he had a broken arm, but it was a hyperextension apparently)

Disappointed not to see L.Williams start

Still no Pretorious :/

Im suprised Roberts and Gethin are starting - should increase our chances though.

Tito dropped Smile - Down deserves a run with B.Davies

Probably the strongest 22 we could have bar injuries and bans - Except for the 9/10 axis (that could well cost us, since the Dragons have Tovey and Evans)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 03 Nov 2011, 12:32 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:And here's the Dragons XV:

Martyn Thomas, Tonderai Chavhanga, Adam Hughes, Ashley Smith (c), Aled Brew, Jason Tovey, Wayne Evans, Phil Price, Rhys Buckley, Dan Way, Adam Jones, Scott Morgan, Andrew Coombs, Gavin Thomas, Lewis Evans

Lloyd Burns, Nathan Williams, Nathan Buck, Rob Sidoli, Tom Brown, Joe Bedford, Lewis Robling, Steffan Jones.

Strong backs, not so sure on your forwards though.

If our front 5 can get the upper hand we should be able to win (though with Parks playing you never know...)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 03 Nov 2011, 12:34 pm

Strong team from Blues, our pack will take a hammering
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 03 Nov 2011, 12:35 pm

gcBlues wrote:Czekaj is fine under a high ball...it's after he's caught it the problems usually start Shocked

Looking forward to Cuthbert v Brew, Cuthbert will definitely test Brew's defence which can be ropey. It's not often he'll face bigger wingers than him, but at 6 foot 6 and over 16 stone with plenty of speed...it's gonna be interesting. Brew can make big hits, but other than that he's a bit of a turnstile at times

To be fair, Czekaj is on good form at the moment, so the problems are usually for the opposition. Our back 3 are not that poor under the high ball, and I wouldnt want any of them running back at me - The Dragons backs defence can be questionable so I don't think they will want our big back 3 counter-attacking too much.

Cuthbert vs Brew will be very interesting - No doubt Gatland will be interested too...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next