The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aironi v Glasgow

+2
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Dorothy_Mantooth
6 posters

Go down

Aironi v Glasgow Empty Aironi v Glasgow

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Fri 04 Nov 2011, 8:14 am

Glasgow team:

15 Peter Murchie

14 Federico Aramburu
13 Alex Dunbar
12 Troy Nathan
11 Tommy Seymour

10 Duncan Weir
9 Chris Cusiter

1 Ryan Grant
2 Dougie Hall
3 Ed Kalman
4 Richie Gray
5 Al Kellock (captain)
6 James Eddie
7 John Barclay
8 Johnnie Beattie

SUBSTITUTES

16 Finlay Gillies
17 Mike Cusack
18 Gordon Reid
19 Rob Verbakel
20 Henry Pyrgos
21 Graeme Morrison
22 Stuart Hogg
23 Ryan Wilson

Not considered for selection due to injury: Calum Forrester (knee), Ruaridh Jackson (hamstring), Moray Low (calf), Fergus Thomson (shoulder), DTH van der Merwe (shoulder), Jon Welsh (ankle).

Don't think this on telly, so I am sure this game will slip under the radar.

Glasgow are looking for their 4th win on the spin, after wins at Cardiff and at home to the Dragons and Ospreys. As promised, Sean Lineen has rested a number of players who have been playing in most if not all Pro 12 games this season.

Rob Harley, Rob Dewey, Tom Ryder, Colin Shaw, Colin Gregor and Pat McArthur all drop out the matchday squad, while Wilson and Hogg are on the bench. Its a shame that not many Warriors fans will see it, but it looks like there may be a rare sight of Captain Kellock in a Warriors shirt!

Pack looks on paper at least the strongest we have put out this season and its good to see Alex Dunbar get a game, although I do prefer him on the wing. Peter Horne seems to be slipping in the pecking order, can play 13 or Full Back and still can't get even a place in the bench, with so many of his "rivals" not considered.

Jackson still not back, means that Weir looks like starting next week against Bath. This is the kind of game Weir needs to play in so hopefully he comes through tomorrows game unhurt.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Aironi v Glasgow Empty Re: Aironi v Glasgow

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 04 Nov 2011, 8:24 am

Away to the Italians is always going to be a challenge, Dot, but this team could do the business if they put there minds to it. Interesting preview in the Scotsman this morning: Weir opportunity and an in-depth piece in the Herlad too: Time for Beattie to front up Good luck, matey :OK:Time for Beattie to front up

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 04 Nov 2011, 9:07 am

Beattie is one of my favourite players. In the 6N 2010 it was nice to be shown what it's like to have a rampaging physical no 8 terrorize the opposition when on the hoof.

Scotland's best 8 by some distance when on form. Come on Johnnie get your head in the game!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Fri 04 Nov 2011, 9:42 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Beattie is one of my favourite players. In the 6N 2010 it was nice to be shown what it's like to have a rampaging physical no 8 terrorize the opposition when on the hoof.

Scotland's best 8 by some distance when on form. Come on Johnnie get your head in the game!

I think Beattie has mentally packed it in at Glasgow. He is out of contract at the end of the season and he knows that even if he phones in the rest of the season, some team in England or France will give him a decent contract, based on his 2010 performances.

Hope I am wrong and that he can turn things around.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Fri 04 Nov 2011, 12:39 pm

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:G Peter Horne seems to be slipping in the pecking order, can play 13 or Full Back and still can't get even a place in the bench, with so many of his "rivals" not considered.

I vaguely recall reading that Horne was injured and could not play for the 7's squad in Spain just now.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Fri 04 Nov 2011, 1:29 pm

Manky-Flanker wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:G Peter Horne seems to be slipping in the pecking order, can play 13 or Full Back and still can't get even a place in the bench, with so many of his "rivals" not considered.

I vaguely recall reading that Horne was injured and could not play for the 7's squad in Spain just now.

Now that you mention it, that rings as bell (although he is not listed on the missing injured report). Would explain why he is missing as I thought he was showing promise towards the end of last season.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Sat 05 Nov 2011, 4:04 pm

Good solid win for Glasgow. From what I heard it was not great conditions for Rugby. 18-6 to Glasgow, all 18 from Weirs boot.

Two good away wins for the Scottish team, with two young Scottish Tens controlling things. Great news.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 05 Nov 2011, 4:11 pm

Good solid win. Glasgow will need to figure out how to score tries to progress further as a team, but if the conditions were rubbish then you have to play a certain way and you can't begrudge an away win denying Aironi a losing bonus.

Weir is harvesting points at the moment, and provides a nice alternative to Jackson and Leonard. Sounds like he had another good strong controlling game, making his kicks. If Leonard can continue and keep the 10 jersey at Edinburgh, then I think we have our three fly halves for the 6 Nations squad.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sat 05 Nov 2011, 6:38 pm

Aye both Weir and Leonard turned out man of the match performances!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:54 am

Here's the Scotsman account of the game.

Sounds like a scrappy match and a hard-earned victory. As Lineen states, Bath will be a different kettle of fish at the weekend.

Johnny Beattie versus Simon Taylor could be interesting to watch.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/club-rugby/aironi_6_18_glasgow_fourth_win_in_row_for_glasgow_as_their_patience_is_rewarded_1_1951942

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 07 Nov 2011, 11:01 am

True, I don't think the Italian teams give out easy victories anymore, particularly not at home

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 07 Nov 2011, 11:04 am

Certainly not to us at least!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Mon 07 Nov 2011, 11:08 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Question is has Beattie done enough to warrant selection ahead of Wilson for the HC clash against Bath.

Before the Aironi game, Lineen pointed out publicly that Beattie needed to buck up his ideas - and soon

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 07 Nov 2011, 11:18 am

He was also yellow-carded during the match and taken off before the hour was up. You're probably right, Wilson could start.

Personally I'd risk Beattie, simply because this is a huge match and the big stage could motivate him to up his game. I'd be fully sympathetic though if he were dropped. He probably doesn't deserve to play.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 08 Nov 2011, 10:39 am

Manky-Flanker wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Question is has Beattie done enough to warrant selection ahead of Wilson for the HC clash against Bath.

Before the Aironi game, Lineen pointed out publicly that Beattie needed to buck up his ideas - and soon
I'd be incredibly disappointed if Beattie doesn't play for the shirt for the rest of the season. His dad needs to give him a slap on the head if that is in fact true. Speaking purely about planning his next move (Gray already having signed for Sale will also have distracted him), he should be bright enough to realise that he's in the shop window now and that at the very least his Heineken Cup performances have to be massive. I don't think that any French club is going to hand him a cheque based on one barnstorming game against Ireland a couple of years ago.

Very pleased with Glasgow's form this season and I actually don't fear Bath at present. They're good, but certainly not great.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down