The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors versus Aironi

+7
GLove39
Manky-Flanker
Scot Abroad
funnyExiledScot
21st Century Schizoid Man
RuggerRadge2611
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
11 posters

Go down

Glasgow Warriors versus Aironi Empty Glasgow Warriors versus Aironi

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:08 am

15 Peter Murchie

14 Tommy Seymour
13 Alex Dunbar
12 Federico Aramburu
11 David Lemi

10 Duncan Weir
9 Henry Pyrgos

1 Ryan Grant
2 Dougie Hall (Captain)
3 Michael Cusack
4 Nick Campbell
5 Tom Ryder
6 Calum Forrester
7 Chris Fusaro
8 Ryan Wilson

Substitutes

16 Pat MacArthur
17 Gordon Reid
18 Moray Low
19 Rob Verbakel
20 John Beattie
21 Murray McConnell
22 Scott Wight
23 Troy Nathan

Unavailable due to injury: Rob Dewey (shoulder), Ed Kalman (neck), Rory Lamont (leg), Colin Shaw (jaw), Fergus Thomson (shoulder), DTH van der Merwe (shoulder)

Excellent news too that Moray Low has signed a two-year contract extension that keeps him at the Warriors until 2014

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors versus Aironi Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors versus Aironi

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:34 am

Aye Moray Lowe IMO is integral to the salvation of our front row. He was really a force to be reckoned with a couple of years ago.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:03 am

Hope we get to see JB at some stage. Who is the referee ?

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:04 am

That's a good team.

Pleased that Cusack is back to add solidity to the front row, and I'm delighted to see Alex Dunbar continue at 13. Big chance for him to make that shirt his own. It's up for grabs at Glasgow, this season and next.

Low signing on is fantastic news. Low coming off the bench will bring impact, as should Beattie, who will hopefully want to give a big send-off to Glasgow between now and the end of the season. Without doubt they'll need him if they are to challenge at the play-offs.

Only downside with this team is that Rob Harley isn't playing. Why is that?

Must win game for Glasgow this. Not many "easy" fixtures left. I may be being gready, but a bonus point would also be nice. Time for Lemi to start scoring me-thinks.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:06 am

fES - that is strange as Harley never gets injured ?

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:09 am

He's being "rested" apparently - make of that what you will

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:43 am

C'mon Warriors - do it for Sean L and Gary Mercer and a five pointer to stick a big FY to the SRU numpties. The fans will do that too ! furious

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:53 am

Harley hasn't missed many games this season. If he's going to get a rest then I'd rather it was against Arioni.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:12 am

Seymour! What a try!

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:23 am

Finally over the line, was getting a bit close for my liking. Now we just need 3 more of these.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:26 am

Yeah, Glasgow had the chance to score more tries in that first half, 2-3 by my count

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:54 am

24-6 now,

c'mon boys need two more trys for the BP

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:05 am

Glasgow really are their own worst enemy when within 5m of Aironi's try line.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:16 am

Its ridiculous how many times the Warriors have let Aironi off the hook. A TBP is well within their capabilities, but you need a killer instinct to secure it

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:18 am

Good result in the end, so so close to the BP try at the end there.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:24 am

Hope that failure to get the bonus point doesn't come back to haunt Glasgow.
Still a wins a win.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:25 am

Well done Glasgow, pity bout not getting the BP but it looks like the play offs are beckoning. I wonder if Glasgow win the pro 12 Lineen will be reinstated?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:28 am

Reinstated? Sadly I doubt it, though if Glasgow did win the pro 12 the pressure on Townsend next season would be huge.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:53 am

Good result. Some good performances (good call making Pyrgos MOTM), some not so good (Weir wasn't great) and some anonymous (Forrester).

Still, Glasgow are extremely organised, the scrum went really well, the lineout was strong, maul was organised, the defence gave nothing away and they scored a nice try on the maul, a good try from pressure and a nice set move score.

Lineen's dismissal looking more of a farce. Not a perfect performance by any means, Glasgow could easily have scored a BP, but that was close to their second string. Whilst Edinburgh are getting walloped week in week out, Glasgow are competitive, and yet the SRU can't get enough of Bradley, and Lineen has his P45.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 123skelm Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:49 am

FES Good points glad to see Pyrgos getting MOTM after recent crits he was getting, Glasgow are hard to beat and as long as they keep on winning, who knows.

Weir was a little rusty tonight that was his first game time for weeks appart from 30min against France, obviously instructed at half time to get the ball donw into their territory, but just to long with his first 2 attempts but his shooting boots were up to his usual high standard.

Thought forwards were very good and Wilson gave his all again and good to see moray back.

123skelm

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:04 am

The HC is the only reason Bradleys head is not being called for. Certainly not by me. I'm also taking comfort from the fact that the guys getting mullered week in week out for Edinburgh will be learning with every missed tackle, every knock on, every poor kick and every defeat.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by 123skelm Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:13 am

I'm also taking comfort from the fact that the guys getting mullered week in week out for Edinburgh will be learning with every missed tackle, every knock on, every poor kick and every defeat.

Sounds like the Scotland Team?

123skelm

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:38 pm

I don't take any comfort in teams getting mullered week in week out. For the younger guys, the only experience they will be accruing is how to be defeated on the pitch and what party line to tow off the pitch ie small margins, little mistakes, moving forward etc

The sort of experience they really need is how to work their way back into a game if behind, how to close a game down when they're head, ie how to win!

That goes for both Scotland and Edinburgh. Winning becomes a habit, so does losing.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:46 pm

I thought Nick Campbell look pretty useful, he's certainly a big help scrummage wise.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:21 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:I thought Nick Campbell look pretty useful, he's certainly a big help scrummage wise.

Completely agree. He looks a monster, and the Glasgow players were patting him on the back after the first couple of scrums. He's clearly a powerful scrummager. Don't know why he came off at half time. Must have been an injury of some sort. Scrummaged well and carried well. Got a big future.

I also thought Dougie Hall had one of his better games. I'm not a fan, but he carried well and his throwing was decent.

Fusaro and Wilson were both good, Forrester completely anonymous. I'd rather see Beattie at 6 frankly, just a more influential player. Obviously when Harley comes back the plug is filled.

Nice finish from Seymour as well. Hopefully he can push on from there, picking similar lines from the half backs. He's a good direct runner.

Not getting the extra point is annoying, but all in all it was a very well organised and solid performance.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:01 am

Well done Sean and the lads. SL looked really moved at the 2 standing ovations he received pre game and at HT. Good crowd too at 4110.

Bollux to the SRU !

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:50 am

Scottish rugby blog say there's a rumour going round that Barclay has agreed a deal to stay at the Warriors.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:16 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
MacKnocked-on wrote:I thought Nick Campbell look pretty useful, he's certainly a big help scrummage wise.

Completely agree. He looks a monster, and the Glasgow players were patting him on the back after the first couple of scrums. He's clearly a powerful scrummager. Don't know why he came off at half time. Must have been an injury of some sort. Scrummaged well and carried well. Got a big future.

I also thought Dougie Hall had one of his better games. I'm not a fan, but he carried well and his throwing was decent.

Fusaro and Wilson were both good, Forrester completely anonymous. I'd rather see Beattie at 6 frankly, just a more influential player. Obviously when Harley comes back the plug is filled.

Nice finish from Seymour as well. Hopefully he can push on from there, picking similar lines from the half backs. He's a good direct runner.

Not getting the extra point is annoying, but all in all it was a very well organised and solid performance.

Campbell did take a knock, that is why he came off. Been really impressed with him this season and will be a good addition to the squad.

Forrester is out of contract and I don't think he will get a new deal, he is a better player than he showed on Friday, but I think its time to move on from him.

Also heard at the Weekend that Barclay had re-signed or at least was ready to put pen to paper. Not counting on anything till its official though. If he does re-sign its going to be a pretty impressive Back Row unit, in terms of depth.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:01 am

Yeah but this will really stunt the young back rowers there, where will Fusaro play or Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:25 pm

123456789 wrote:Yeah but this will really stunt the young back rowers there, where will Fusaro play or Wilson

When Glasgow or Edinburgh struggle in the HC or the league the SRU get blamed for not providing them with big enough squads or for letting proven performers leave. Then when they attempt to keep their better players and strengthen the squads they get criticized, they really can't win.

Had Barclay been in his early 30s then I could see the criticism of not keeping him, but he is still only in his mid 20s. I agree it makes it more difficult for Fusaro to get in the team, but is that not what we want? Too many players in Scotland don't have to work for their places, some healthy competition is a good thing. Who knows Fusaro has beaten off Barclay to the 7 jersey this season, if he continues to perform then there is no reason why he won't keep it. Also Barclay will be kept on his toes and will have to improve to win his place back!

With Scotland commitments, I would think a couple of our backrowers will be involved next year with the National team, meaning they will miss 7 or 8 games at least, so we need depth. Its having depth in our squad that has kept us in the playoff race this season, going undefeated in a five game period over the 6 Nations is unheard of at Glasgow.

All this I suppose is putting the cart before the horse as its still not been announced if Barclay is staying. If he does re-sign and assuming he is not being offered a bank breaking deal, then I for one would be delighted. If he does move on then good luck to him and we move on.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:03 pm

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
123456789 wrote:Yeah but this will really stunt the young back rowers there, where will Fusaro play or Wilson

When Glasgow or Edinburgh struggle in the HC or the league the SRU get blamed for not providing them with big enough squads or for letting proven performers leave. Then when they attempt to keep their better players and strengthen the squads they get criticized, they really can't win.

Had Barclay been in his early 30s then I could see the criticism of not keeping him, but he is still only in his mid 20s. I agree it makes it more difficult for Fusaro to get in the team, but is that not what we want? Too many players in Scotland don't have to work for their places, some healthy competition is a good thing. Who knows Fusaro has beaten off Barclay to the 7 jersey this season, if he continues to perform then there is no reason why he won't keep it. Also Barclay will be kept on his toes and will have to improve to win his place back!

With Scotland commitments, I would think a couple of our backrowers will be involved next year with the National team, meaning they will miss 7 or 8 games at least, so we need depth. Its having depth in our squad that has kept us in the playoff race this season, going undefeated in a five game period over the 6 Nations is unheard of at Glasgow.

All this I suppose is putting the cart before the horse as its still not been announced if Barclay is staying. If he does re-sign and assuming he is not being offered a bank breaking deal, then I for one would be delighted. If he does move on then good luck to him and we move on.
+1

Dot agreed, this is great news IF it is indeed true. If Glasgow have serious ambitions about mounting a campaign on two fronts (league and Heino), then a large, quality playing squad is absolutely essential, so depth in the backrow is only one component of that

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:04 am

Agree as well. Competition for places is something that's been sorely lacking in recent times. Too many players guaranteed to start big games. Lineen has done a good job putting an end to that at Glasgow, by dropping big names when younger players outperform then.

If Fusaro really is going to be a prospect, then he'll have to outperform Barclay one way or another.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down