The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heineken Cup Pool 6

+6
LondonTiger
asoreleftshoulder
EnglishReign
Morgannwg
Ozzy3213
yappysnap
10 posters

Go down

Heineken Cup Pool 6 Empty Heineken Cup Pool 6

Post by yappysnap Sun 06 Nov 2011, 1:33 pm

Here's a little preview for pool 6, probably one of the easiest to predict the eventual pool topper in but at the same time there's a lot of scope for upsets in it!

Toulouse- Still coached by great club servant Guy Noves the French giants will see this pool as one they should definitely top and you wouldn't bet against them recieving a home play off from it. They've flexed their wallet this season to bring in some big names to a squad already loaded with international players; ex AB 10 Luke Mccalister joins the likes of Gurthrö Steenkamp and Wallabies no9 Luke Burgess who both cruised in after mixed world cups and will play alongside France skipper Thierry Dusautoir and notables like Census Johnston in a forward 8 definitely contending for the monster pack award. Just one question remains and that is whether they will focus on the T14 or come out to make a statement in Europe or with a squad like theirs perhaps both?

Harlequins- New coach Connor O'Shea has done brilliant things for the young London club, currently sitting top of their league and undefeated across all competitions since last season they'll need all their attacking flair and surprisingly gritty defence to progress from the pool. Quins have been fairly quite on the transfers front leading up to Europe with the few signings they have made mainly squad players, it's their academy products that they'll be relying on to get the results; players like Wallace, Marler, George Lowe and captain Robshaw all directed by once AB flyhalf Nick Evans, a player you have to say who's born to play in this competition. With 10 wins on the bounce this season and having bested the likes of Munster, Stade Francais and Leicester in the last year there can't be a better way for them to kick off their Heineken campaign.

Gloucester- It's been another mixed up start to the season for Brian Redpath's men, with convincing wins at home but still plenty of away losses and topped off with their first home loss in 2 years the foundations for a Euro campaign could be better. The Cherry and Whites are another team that have opted to stick with home grown talent over imports, and the fine form of young guns Burns, Trinder and Sharples will give them heart. Coupled with a bit of west country grit in the engine room and players like Strokosch and big Jim Hamilton returning and they have a team to challenge any one, again though it's really all about consistency or the lack of.

Connacht- Looking like the weakest team in this pool Eric Ellwoods side can at least go in to this knowing they have nothing to lose. With this hopefully total lack of expectation on their shoulders and the fact that the other teams may not have studied them as well as others then the Irishmen could certainly pull out a shock win at home. With a very limited budget they're never going to sign superstars but Fetu'u Vainikolo from the Highlanders can create magic and tries from nothing. Still you have to see them as a bp chance for the other teams especially when travelling.

I see the pool finishing in this order
Toulouse
Harlequins
Gloucester
Connacht

Next weekend sees the following match ups:
Harlequins v Connacht, The Stoop, London
Can't see past a Quins win here and if they are serious about progressing a try bp is a must.

Toulouse v Gloucester Rugby, Stade Ernest Wallon, Toulouse
Likewise Toulouse to hammer Gloucester and get the try bp, Gloucester though could well come out of it with a bp of their own.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Heineken Cup Pool 6 Empty Re: Heineken Cup Pool 6

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 06 Nov 2011, 2:19 pm

I don't actually think this pool is as cut and dried as you think. Toulouse are beatable, and Kingsholm is a tough place to go, so they could lose there. Likewise Quins are flying high, and will be confident of winning their home games.

Although the Sportsground is also a tough place to go, I see Connacht losing all 6 in this pool.

If the other teams all win their home games, which I think they will, it will come down to TBP's and LBP's for who finishes where. In terms of TBP's, I would not be surprised if Glaws get a couple at home, but they may find LBP's harder to come by. Quins I think will hang in when losing and get a couple of LBP's so it may ultimately come down to who can pick up a TBP in Galway.

Fascinating pool in any case.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 06 Nov 2011, 7:33 pm

Nice one yappysnap, you've stolen MY series! Wink
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 07 Nov 2011, 8:48 pm

Sorry! Didn't realise it was a series you were doing, thought i'd have to do it for this pool.

Sadly doesn't seem like too many peeps are interested though.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 07 Nov 2011, 8:50 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:I don't actually think this pool is as cut and dried as you think. Toulouse are beatable, and Kingsholm is a tough place to go, so they could lose there. Likewise Quins are flying high, and will be confident of winning their home games.

Although the Sportsground is also a tough place to go, I see Connacht losing all 6 in this pool.

If the other teams all win their home games, which I think they will, it will come down to TBP's and LBP's for who finishes where. In terms of TBP's, I would not be surprised if Glaws get a couple at home, but they may find LBP's harder to come by. Quins I think will hang in when losing and get a couple of LBP's so it may ultimately come down to who can pick up a TBP in Galway.

Fascinating pool in any case.

Yep a lot will come down to two things, how many points teams can rack up against Connacht and then how the French go away from home.

If some one can get two winning bonus points from Connacht and then beat Toulouse at home then they've probably done enough in my books.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue 08 Nov 2011, 6:27 pm

I was relatively confident about Gloucester's chances in this pool but not now after the way Quins have started, and taking into account their recent record against us at The Stoop.

Having said that, I honestly believe Gloucester are capable of winning all of their home games (BP against Connacht), as well as winning away at Connacht.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 08 Nov 2011, 6:30 pm

It should be an interesting pool,3 pretty strong teams and Connacht can make it difficult at the Sportsground.They will struggle on their travels but I'll be watching them with interest,Eric Elwood is doing a very good job in tough circumstances.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 09 Nov 2011, 2:27 pm

EnglishReign wrote:I was relatively confident about Gloucester's chances in this pool but not now after the way Quins have started, and taking into account their recent record against us at The Stoop.

Having said that, I honestly believe Gloucester are capable of winning all of their home games (BP against Connacht), as well as winning away at Connacht.

How are you feeling about traveling to Toulouse for the first match English?

At least on a positive note if things do go badly you'll know straight away which comp to focus on.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 09 Nov 2011, 2:50 pm

Toulouse to win their home matche and away to Connacht.

Connacht to win at least one home game and possibly beat both English sides in Ireland.

English sides to beat each other (and Connacht) at home.

Toulouse to lose at Kingsholm, not sure about match at Stoop.

Toulouse win pool and get a home 1/4 final.
Gloucester overturn AP positions and go into Amlin

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 09 Nov 2011, 3:03 pm

Every year people ask how the french will do away from home. Given french teams results over the last couple of years and also Toulouse record overall the answer would be that French teams are learning more and more how to manage their away games in the HC. They have been very successful with this so I would expect Toulouse to win in Kingsholm and Connacht and push Harlequins.
Toulouse to win the group

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 09 Nov 2011, 3:07 pm

I would have thought Gloucster would be Connachts best chance of a win but I don't follow English rugby close enough to be confident of that.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 09 Nov 2011, 3:11 pm

asoreleftshoulder Gloucester are a tough side who in my opinion won't be a pushover.

You would expect Toulouse to prevail in this pool but if Quins and Gloucester can win their home games......

The problem Quins have is that the Stoop isn't exactly a fortress. Though they might not fear going into Toulouse's backyard.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 09 Nov 2011, 3:28 pm

Oh yeah I'm not saying that,I just think if Connacht are to win a game thats the one to look for.I think Connacht will struggle the other 3 teams are a step above them.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by stlowe Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:17 pm

DOD wrote:Every year people ask how the french will do away from home. Given french teams results over the last couple of years and also Toulouse record overall the answer would be that French teams are learning more and more how to manage their away games in the HC. They have been very successful with this so I would expect Toulouse to win in Kingsholm and Connacht and push Harlequins.

Toulouse lost away to Wasps and Glasgow last season, two pretty mediocre teams. I don't think they've played Gloucester before, but Quins won at home last time out.

stlowe

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:19 pm

yappysnap wrote:
EnglishReign wrote:I was relatively confident about Gloucester's chances in this pool but not now after the way Quins have started, and taking into account their recent record against us at The Stoop.

How are you feeling about traveling to Toulouse for the first match English?

It isn't ideal to be honest, but is a good early test for the boys. The next HC game is then Quins as home, which we can win but I'm not sure on that one either. Could be a messy start.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:23 pm

DOD wrote:Every year people ask how the french will do away from home. Given french teams results over the last couple of years and also Toulouse record overall the answer would be that French teams are learning more and more how to manage their away games in the HC. They have been very successful with this so I would expect Toulouse to win in Kingsholm and Connacht and push Harlequins.

It's a good point. Despite Gloucester's excellent home record in the Jeff (shattered by Saracens recently), they were actually beaten 18-24 at Kingsholm by La Rochelle in last year's Amlin Cup. So your expectations could well be spot on.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 09 Nov 2011, 5:26 pm

EnglishReign I can't see the home loss floodgate opening.

Not an ideal starting match for Gloucester!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 09 Nov 2011, 8:14 pm

stlowe wrote:
Toulouse lost away to Wasps and Glasgow last season, two pretty mediocre teams. I don't think they've played Gloucester before, but Quins won at home last time out.

Toulouse didn't lose to Glasgow. Are you inferring Quins have beaten Toulouse at home the last time out?

Quins and Glasgow are playing an open game behind mobile packs that can hold their own... Except against Toulouse, who have the best pack and reserves in Europe. Their forward power and european experience will see them through I believe, they have some great new additions to the team aswell. You can expect a new look backline. Connacht are punching above their weight again and could take a scalp at home, probably Gloucester's. This is how I see it finishing:

Toulouse
Harlequins
Gloucester
Connacht

Quins could go through as best runners up if they can get 10 points from both the fixtures against Connacht.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:22 pm

I've been saying for some time that I think Quins won't make the HEC QFs this year, but will win the Amlin again. Any takers?

That said, the way they are playing at the moment, I won't write them off agqinst even Toulouse just yet. To paraphrase one of the coaches before the Bath game, "this is the pack that beat Munster at Thomond park, they won't fear anyone."
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 10 Nov 2011, 5:24 pm

Quins lost at home to Toulouse last time we played. 19-0 to us at half time only to leak two tries and two penalties in the first 15 minutes of the second half, all down hill after that.

I think Toulouse will top the pool, winning all home games and maybe even all away games, they have the back to smash any of the other teams and both Glos and Quins rely on speedy ball and running games, not arm wrestling monster packs like Toulouse.

Quins could win all home matches apart from Toulouse, then win away at Connacht so it'll all comes down to away to Glos who I expect to beat Connacht home and away too.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down