The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eating My Words

+5
Glas a du
nganboy
majesticimperialman
RubyGuby
bedfordwelsh
9 posters

Go down

Eating My Words Empty Eating My Words

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:00 am

Never one to admit when he's worng I think it maybe proved again.

Before the WC I questioned a couple of Gatlands selections, mainly Bennett and R Jones both of whom in the end had very good tournamnets (Bennett especially).

So after watching the O's Scarlets game on the weekend it may look like old rollerskates Thomas might be making meet my words again.

I thought he had a very good game giving D Jones a torrid time, Thomas' loose play and workrate has always been good but struggled in the scrum, which is his primary role.

With Mitchell not making that much impact at the WC (prefering James as T/Head) and now playing for Exeter so not available as much would it be worth having another look at R Thomas?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Eating My Words Empty Re: Eating My Words

Post by RubyGuby Tue 08 Nov 2011, 5:42 pm

Its all about temperament with Thomas - If someone could get him to concentrate on the percentage plays and get him to apply himself instead of looking for opportunties to showboat then he might be in with a shout. Until these elements of his game change he remains a bit part capable of moving from the sublime to the ridiculous; often in the same move thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 08 Nov 2011, 6:55 pm

With regards to Eating My Words, i think a lot of posters could well be eating thier words with regards to what was said about certain team/s performance, during the Rugby World Cup.

I for one did not think that Wales would get out of their group. I also thought that there was a possability that England could get to the final.

So if all those (Honest posters) who said what they said about other teams would like to (EAT THEIR WORDS)Now is the time to do it. thumbsup

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 09 Nov 2011, 12:07 am

I predicted Aus to win so happy to eat my words. Yahoo
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:36 am

Is this a confessional? If so forgive me...etc. When Gatland announced his squad, I was furious with him for preferring Priestland over Biggar and Tovey, even Sweeny. Now I'm not as carried away as everybody else. His defence is awful and he will get found out on the big stage, but look at ROG, he's managed to get by! I even composed a poem, well it was a parody of Hon by T H Parry Williams, in the Dew Drop Inn slating Priestland. And this guy is my cousin!

I also thought we would fail to score tries. I now realise the sterile post '08 gameplan was a massive punt by Gatland. As long as he could keep his job he'd keep his powder dry. That takes balls fair play. I completely underestimated him.

Thomas will do for the Australia match. He will have better second rows behind him for Wales as well.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 09 Nov 2011, 6:00 pm

With the news that A Jones is struggling and James is out this weekend he may well have to look at Thomas, and despite slating him in the past I would prefer him to Andrews or Yapp.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 09 Nov 2011, 6:11 pm

I think Gethin could be rested in favour if Duncan Jones. I think Jones Hibbard Thomas with Burnes and Vevington on the bench would be a good call.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Wed 09 Nov 2011, 6:53 pm

I thought South Africa would Win, I'll eat those words. Sad to see Smit and Matfield retire.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 09 Nov 2011, 7:20 pm

I have been meaning to post something to the effect of how wrong I was to say all those things about Bennett. I also predicted we'd struggle to get out of the pool as Gatland hadn't given the youth enough time to bed in and questioned like you the wisdom of Powell, R Jones and Bennett.

Rollerskates to be fair was looking pretty good at the end of last season as well.

Also sorry Glas but Priestlands defence is far from awful, it's pretty good and a lot better than Hooks, or Tovey's for that matter

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 09 Nov 2011, 7:23 pm

Eh? Is it a full back his defence is terrible then?

I think introducing the youth worked because they hadn't been broken in gently. They were handed the ball and told to get in with it. Excellent coaching.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 09 Nov 2011, 7:28 pm

"hadn't been broken in genrtly"

talk about unpleasant images Glas Du - especially when on another thread people have been talking about what Gareth Thomas did to Arwel...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 09 Nov 2011, 7:32 pm

Glas,

Jenkins hasn't playwed much so wouldn't rest him but if we did I would rather see Bevington get a start over D Jones.

Priest,

I think Bennett proved everyone wrong in the WC no one expected that level of performance from him.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 09 Nov 2011, 7:43 pm

Actually if you're worried about Priestland's defence then we can always put Gethin Jenkins there - he seemed to relish the role against Nambia in the WC and his defence is rock solid!

To be honest I've always been happy with Priestlands defence at FB, he's a lot more steady than Hook - but maybe it's because the Scarlets as a whole had such a shoddy defence last year - but that was more to do with the way they played which was very loose and high risk.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 09 Nov 2011, 7:52 pm

Not seen much of him at XV but I have similar worries over Stoddart and would prefer him on wing with tuppence at XV
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 09 Nov 2011, 8:43 pm

I was always worried about Stoddart in defence but last season he improved a hell of a lot to such an extent that the team looked a lot stronger defensively and a lot more assured when he was in the team - and I think the same can be said for the Wales team before his unfortunate injury

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Nov 2011, 8:48 pm

Priestland is better in defence at 10 then at FB, and he did go through a blip of having some shocking defence (the away game v Leinster last season being his worst showing), but it was only just a blip. In the main he's solid. Not brilliant but he doesn't generally miss tackles either (not that I can recall for the most part anyway)

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 09 Nov 2011, 8:52 pm

priest,

Thats encouraging to know, when is he back playing? I guess we could be looking at a back 3 of North Halfpenny and Stoddart if all well.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Wed 09 Nov 2011, 8:58 pm

Glas, at full back Priestlands defence is poor, mainly due to poor positioning, although no worse than Hook. At outside half his defence is good, he's no Stephen Jones defensively but then not many 10's are. In attack he offers far more than Stephen ever could (and I'm a big fan of Stephen's).

As for Bennet, I know that he has improved greatly, but surely it isnt just me who closes one eye when he throws in expecting him to revert to type.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:15 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:"hadn't been broken in genrtly"

talk about unpleasant images Glas Du - especially when on another thread people have been talking about what Gareth Thomas did to Arwel...

I am not accountable for your mind Padre.

angel
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:50 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Not seen much of him at XV but I have similar worries over Stoddart and would prefer him on wing with tuppence at XV

Halfpenny would probably be the best defensive option, I said after his performances for the Blues last season that he was the best defending winger in Wales, he is now probably the best defending back3 player.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 10 Nov 2011, 8:34 am

<As for Bennet, I know that he has improved greatly, but surely it isnt just me who closes one eye when he throws in expecting him to revert to type>.

Subs,

No its not, I still had kittens every game in the WC when it cam to line outs but fair play to him he kept proving me wrong , with few exceptions in the Oz game.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 10 Nov 2011, 9:25 am

I'm not sure when Stodds is back - there was a news piece on the Scarlets website about Dale Fords double leg break and it mentioned in passing Stodds would be back in 2 weeks, but that was 2 weeks ago, so no idea, I hope it's soon as I really like the look of that back 3 Bedford.

It also worries me who else we have to play wing if one of Stodds, Halfpenny or North is injured at the 6N, I suppose you could play Byrne at FB and then shift Halfpenny over but it's not ideal

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 10 Nov 2011, 10:47 am

Priest,

I am guessing then that maybe the Oz game would be to early for him and why rush him back. I would start Brew, I know he's not everyones cup of tea but he still does the biz at Regional level and thats all the coaches can ask.

Eli Walker looks a good one for the future also what happened to Fenby down at the Scarlets?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 10 Nov 2011, 10:55 am

Walker doesn't get the ball half enough. I agree on Brew though. He's the bloke to bust a gut for you.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 10 Nov 2011, 11:09 am

Two big strong running wingers in Brew and North would be something we haven't had for a long time in a Welsh side and could be balanced nicely by Halfpenny.

I think a back three of North Halfpenny & Stoddart is more likely to be the first choice line up if all fit an on form but Brew still has place in the squad IMO.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 10 Nov 2011, 11:13 am

Yes. Stoddart was a revelation in Cardiff against England, but if he's not there Brew is the best option after Shane retires.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 10 Nov 2011, 11:14 am

Not sure on Brew, he has never shown much at international level - id prefer a youngster like Cuthbert was given a go.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 10 Nov 2011, 11:23 am

I like Brew but I don't think he's in the same league as North, Halpenny, Shane and even Stodds (though he has a bit more to prove than the others). I love Brews physicality and he's a good finisher.

Don't think Fenby is up to international standard - he showed some good form last year but can be a bit hit and miss, and isn't exactly a youngster anymore. He's just come back from injury at the moment anyway

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 10 Nov 2011, 11:25 am

I think it's a lot too soon to think about Cuthbert (I know it worked for North and Halfpenny, but look at Phillips and Prydie), I think we should leave him develop and have a good season for the Blues, and then next year he should (hopefully) by knocking really hard on the door for Wales.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 10 Nov 2011, 11:35 am

Priest,

Even as a Dragons fan I agree that Brew would be behind all those you listed but lets say Halfpenny starts at XV and North on one wing that leaves the other slot free.

Williams - OK if on form and playing well for the O's I would be happy with him starting even if it will be his last game.

Stoddart - As said maybe rushing him back wouldn't be that good an idea after such a nasty injury.

I suppose it depends on how Gatland sees this game, if he sees it has an opportunity to blood more youngsters then maybe he might chuck in Cuthbert or Walker etc but that would be a quite in-experienced back 3.

If he (hopefully) sees it as a must win game and to get a win over the SH then I guess Brew would be the obvious choice as he is is the one who has been involved with the Welsh set up.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 10 Nov 2011, 11:49 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I think it's a lot too soon to think about Cuthbert (I know it worked for North and Halfpenny, but look at Phillips and Prydie), I think we should leave him develop and have a good season for the Blues, and then next year he should (hopefully) by knocking really hard on the door for Wales.

The difference is, Phillips and Prydie hadnt really played for the Ospreys - whereas Cuthbert is starting on the wing in the HC next week.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 10 Nov 2011, 12:44 pm

I know what you mean bedford about Brew - I do like him - though I do think that Gats is more likely to choose Byrne than Brew (in the 6N's) - although Brew and North are 2 powerful runners, i do feel it looks a bit of a weaker back 3 than other options. But Brew is young and can only improve on the international stage with more exposure.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Thu 10 Nov 2011, 1:17 pm

Glas a du wrote:Walker doesn't get the ball half enough. I agree on Brew though. He's the bloke to bust a gut for you.

Yes he'll bust a gut but he seems to try too hard at international level and what he tries never seems to come off at that level. I'm afraid that he is a good regional player but cant make the step up. I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong as he is a big strong runner.

Cuthbert looks promising and if he has good games in the HC and carries on his form in the league then he could be in contention.

I agree with Priest with regard to Fenby. Dont think he's international class and he has a real problem offloading.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 10 Nov 2011, 2:12 pm

With Halfpenny finally proving people wrong that he can play XV I really hope Gatland doesn't plump for Byrne there in the 6 Nations.

For me if all fit and taking Williams' injury into account then I would say North, Halfpenny and Stoddart would be first choice.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 10 Nov 2011, 2:19 pm

I'd say thats a pretty scary attacking back 3 if all are on form - it's the cover that seems suddenly a bit thin on the ground - we have Brew, Byrne, Prydie, Harries, Tovey (for FB), Fussell and Cuthbert and that's about it that I can think of

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 10 Nov 2011, 2:37 pm

Maybe France will do for Hook and Byrne what it did for Jones and Thomas which means we have a few more options but you're right Priest outside them there is talent but untried talent.

That said we were saying same before WC about Priestland, Faletau etc tec
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 10 Nov 2011, 2:45 pm

True true, it would be amazing to have a 2008 grandslam Byrne battling with Halfpenny for the Fullback slot and Cuthbert to do a North/Halfpenny and burst on the scene to battle with them two and Stoddart for a wing spot.

I'm hoping Tovey gets a chance as well and makes it impossible for Gats to ignore him - either at 10 or FB to give us options and cover in both

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 10 Nov 2011, 3:04 pm

Hopefully Tovey gets a fair crack but I hope its at 10 where he plays all the time rather than going down the line again of messing players around by one position for Region another for Country.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down