The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who do you believe are some of most important people in the history of boxing?

+14
TRUSSMAN66
Seanusarrilius
Eyetoldyouso
BALTIMORA
Daz
Fists of Fury
AlexHuckerby
fearlessBamber
TopHat24/7
Michaels, Sean
Mind the windows Tino.
superflyweight
Rowley
kevchadders
18 posters

Go down

Who do you believe are some of most important people in the history of boxing? Empty Who do you believe are some of most important people in the history of boxing?

Post by kevchadders Thu 10 Nov 2011, 1:48 pm

With the passing of Joe Frazier, it got me thinking about boxing history in general, and which people throughout its hostory had made a lasting impact in the sport. Though we may initially think of of boxers, it could be anyone really.

Below I have listed some of mine.

Joe Louis - Being the first black man to hold the heavyweight crown
Sugar Ray Robinson - Some see him as the greatest of all time. Dominate over two divisions, beating a number of HOF's along the way.
Muhammad Ali - For his political views, being the most famous boxer in history, and appearing in most ATG lists in No1 spot to name a few
John Chamber - Drafting up the Marques of Queensberry rules in 1867
Don King - Been a promoter for god knows how long, but more importantly promoted some of the best fighters over the past 40 years, including some of Ali's classics like the Rumble in the Jungle and Thrilla in Manila. Also been involved with a hell of a lot controversy.

Do you agree with mine? Who would you have which i've missed?

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Who do you believe are some of most important people in the history of boxing? Empty Re: Who do you believe are some of most important people in the history of boxing?

Post by Rowley Thu 10 Nov 2011, 1:52 pm

Would have John L Sullivan in there, was absolutely huge in his day and acheived popularity few if any fighters can imagine. Was also an absolutely vital player in easing and legitimising the transition from the bareknuckle era to the gloved era, which was obviously vital for the long term growth of the sport.

Also if you are going to have King in you have to have Rickard, the Don King of his day, virtually invented the mega fights and responsible for something like the first five million dollar gates the sport saw.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Who do you believe are some of most important people in the history of boxing? Empty Re: Who do you believe are some of most important people in the history of boxing?

Post by superflyweight Thu 10 Nov 2011, 1:56 pm

Not underplaying Louis' importance to boxing but he was only the second black man to hold the heavyweight crown. Jack Johnson got there before him.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 10 Nov 2011, 1:58 pm

rowley wrote:Would have John L Sullivan in there, was absolutely huge in his day and acheived popularity few if any fighters can imagine. Was also an absolutely vital player in easing and legitimising the transition from the bareknuckle era to the gloved era, which was obviously vital for the long term growth of the sport.

Has to be in there. First person to earn $1,000,000 from prizefighting and his subsequent fame. Huge when you think how long ago this was.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 10 Nov 2011, 1:58 pm

superflyweight wrote:

Not underplaying Louis' importance to boxing but he was only the second black man to hold the heavyweight crown. Jack Johnson got there before him.

Jack Johnson was more charcoal grey was he not?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 10 Nov 2011, 2:36 pm

Nat Fleischer maybe?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Thu 10 Nov 2011, 2:50 pm

The Heavyweight champ is the fighter that has the potential to really capture the public's imagination and give life to the sport so:

Sullivan, Johnson, Dempsey, Louis, Marciano, Liston, Ali and Tyson.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 10 Nov 2011, 3:38 pm

audley harrison - i brush my teeth to his wars with sprott and williams.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 10 Nov 2011, 3:39 pm

Jack Dempsey is one, for sure. Revolutionary.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 10 Nov 2011, 3:40 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:audley harrison - i brush my teeth to his wars with sprott and williams.

Laugh

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 10 Nov 2011, 3:52 pm

In a vaguely ironic way some of the people who have played influential roles in the development of the sport have been those who have died taking part in it. Without them we may still have forty-five round fights, no ringside medical assistance, even poorer drug testing...to name a few things.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Thu 10 Nov 2011, 4:37 pm

Daniel Mendoza - the father of boxing as we know it today

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 10 Nov 2011, 4:44 pm

Bob Arum right now is one of the most important figures in boxing and is systematically ruining parts of the sport in order to line his own pockets.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Nov 2011, 4:54 pm

rowley wrote:Would have John L Sullivan in there, was absolutely huge in his day and acheived popularity few if any fighters can imagine. Was also an absolutely vital player in easing and legitimising the transition from the bareknuckle era to the gloved era, which was obviously vital for the long term growth of the sport.

Also if you are going to have King in you have to have Rickard, the Don King of his day, virtually invented the mega fights and responsible for something like the first five million dollar gates the sport saw.

Good call ,rowley, and do you know I still have not got round to the great biography of him.Maybe a Xmas present to myself.
Hope you and Emporor Tino are well !

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 10 Nov 2011, 4:56 pm

Always well Andy and good to see you back on here, you need to catch up on your Pollack books mate, have just finished his last one on Burns. Unfortunately though have to wait about a year until Johnson arrives, but should be worth the wait.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 10 Nov 2011, 5:49 pm

You don't think Jack Johnson is more important than Louis????

Huge character in Boxing history.......managed to break the color line just a few decades out of slavery!!.....one of the most controversial champions in history....one of the best.

Talking about a guy who cost some people their lives in retribution.......

Dempsey was Boxing's first real matinee idol and million dollar gate fighter....Corbett is the father of modern boxing...........Lot's of great names..

Please Johnson is a must....

and don't forget Don Curry either..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 10 Nov 2011, 5:51 pm

Much as I don't like the bloke would have to echo the general sentiment calling for Johnson to get the nod.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 10 Nov 2011, 5:51 pm

Honey and Curry...

Without them we wouldn't gave countless threads clogging up the board by Truss. I know more about that fight than I know about myself now.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 10 Nov 2011, 5:58 pm

The mention of his name brings music to my ears..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Thu 10 Nov 2011, 8:16 pm

Jack Johnson was only big news in the barbaric, unenlightened parts of the world such as the US, where black fighters were kept back. In the UK there had been plenty of famous black fighters, Tom Molineaux, Bill Richmond etc. :-P

All sarcastic comments aside, Jack Johnson deserves to be there. The rest have been largely mentioned above....

"Muhammad Ali - For his political views, being the most famous boxer in history, and appearing in most ATG lists in No1 spot to name a few" is a highly contentious statement. Not sure Ali had any real strong views. Had a huge ego and lots of talent and deserves being in the list for his ability to promote and win fights but never been convince Ali had any real strong convictions. Even his adherence to Islam was iffy and he changed his name etc for that.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 10 Nov 2011, 8:24 pm

I am going to suggest one that I have touched on before and I know will cause an uproar but I still stand by - Sly Stallone.

If he hadnt created the rocky character, I am positive that many of the champions who came after the film, may never have stepped in to the ring.

The film would have been a shot of adreneline to the boxing business - I am certain that people would have taken up the sport on the back of the film and its cultural impact.

No he wasnt a boxer however, I believe he did more to raise the profile of boxing than any other fighter since the 70's and has inspired more people into the ring than any other person.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 10 Nov 2011, 8:45 pm

Good choice...That's why he's in the hall of fame....

Inspired many to come into the noble art...any one who is in uproar about it is a dumbass..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Thu 10 Nov 2011, 9:14 pm

Tom Cribb
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down