The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting people into boxing

+9
Valero's Conscience
rawa86
JabMachineMK2
jamesedwardcox
compelling and rich
OasisBFC
Rowley
hampo17
Adam D
13 posters

Go down

Getting people into boxing Empty Getting people into boxing

Post by Adam D Thu 08 Mar 2012, 1:29 pm

We have all had many discussions in the past about how the sport of boxing is moving out of the limelight of the mainstream and losing its fan base.

However, let's assume that you could wave a magic wand to make things better. What would you do?

As a secondary question to this topic, let's assume that you make a new friend (highly unlikely, having gotten to know most of you). How would you get them into boxing?

As this is my thread, I thought I would lay down some ground rules for this topic. You can only answer each of the following with one answer and one answer only.

So let's hear your thoughts:

One wish to change boxing for the better -
What 1 fight would you show your new friend to get them to fall in love with it?
What 1 weight division would you tell them to watch?
What era would you tell them was the best?

Over to you.....

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Getting people into boxing Empty Re: Getting people into boxing

Post by hampo17 Thu 08 Mar 2012, 1:36 pm

I would have one champion per division, make the best fight the best.
I'd show them the Thriller in Manilla, classic fight both men giving their all.
In todays day and age it would have to be the welterweight division, so much class in their.
I think if I was trying to get them in to boxing I'd tell them to look at the days when Foreman and Ali where around, that era would probably hook most people.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 08 Mar 2012, 1:47 pm

One wish to change boxing for the better - 1 world title belt per division
What 1 fight would you show your new friend to get them to fall in love with it? Morales Barrera 1
What 1 weight division would you tell them to watch? If we are talking historically think light heavy is probably the one with the most consistent strength in depth, but welter has had some of the most exceptional talents gracing it (Robinson, Leonard, Armstrong, Burley etc)
What era would you tell them was the best? The colour line aside the 20s had some exceptional talent, Greb, Dempsey, Ross, Tunney Wills etc

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu 08 Mar 2012, 1:50 pm

its almost like getting kids to like a certain type of music. if you start with modern day stuff - then move on to the 'if you like that, you'll LOVE this...'

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 08 Mar 2012, 2:50 pm

i had a mate come up to me the other week saying that someone had lent him a dvd and he really enjoyed it and why boxing isnt like that anymore. i asked him who was on it and he said he didnt know. he described it focusing on four boxers around 70/80's. i could only laugh at this and tell him its harsh on boxing if you compare all the rest to these four and that theres not been many better era's where the best fought each other around the same weight.

his lack of knowledge also made me laugh when he said he enjoyed one fight in particular, his words they just battered each other for about 3/4 rounds. i asked him if he thought the first round was any good?

not the worst dvds to introduce somebody to boxing, of course the dvd was fabulous four

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesedwardcox Thu 08 Mar 2012, 3:29 pm

i make my friends watch episodes from hbo legendary nights and they always enjoy

jamesedwardcox

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 08 Mar 2012, 3:39 pm

compelling and rich wrote:i had a mate come up to me the other week saying that someone had lent him a dvd and he really enjoyed it and why boxing isnt like that anymore. i asked him who was on it and he said he didnt know. he described it focusing on four boxers around 70/80's. i could only laugh at this and tell him its harsh on boxing if you compare all the rest to these four and that theres not been many better era's where the best fought each other around the same weight.

his lack of knowledge also made me laugh when he said he enjoyed one fight in particular, his words they just battered each other for about 3/4 rounds. i asked him if he thought the first round was any good?

not the worst dvds to introduce somebody to boxing, of course the dvd was fabulous four

If I was to hazzard a guess, I would say it was Hearns v Haggler vs Durant (not at the same time) but the round robin of those 3.

I saw an hour long show on ITV sports classics that featured the 3 fights and the 3/4 rounds match fits it perfectly.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:27 pm

One wish to change boxing for the better - One title per weight class.

What 1 fight would you show your new friend to get them to fall in love with it? - Lewis vs Tyson to show how an animal can be tamed by pure skill, Ali vs Foreman to show how the odds can be upset and maybe Eubank vs Benn 1 to show what a rivalry does.

What 1 weight division would you tell them to watch? Right now, Welterweight/Light Welterweight.

What era would you tell them was the best? Mid 70's for Heavyweight, Mid 80's for the "Middle" weights and 90's for the lighter weights.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by rawa86 Thu 08 Mar 2012, 10:11 pm

Just to give you a different point of view. I have only got into boxing in the last two years. So my knowledge of past generations (bar the obvious candidates like ali, tyson, etc.) is pretty non existent. What got me into it was when they started showing fights on free to air tv in Ireland. So I imagine more of that will always help.

I can't really answer your questions (will give it a go) but I will definately be looking into yere suggestions:

One wish to change boxing for the better One world title per division.

What 1 fight would you show your new friend to get them to fall in love with it? Bernard Dunne v Ricardo Cordoba or Ortiz v Berto are two excellent fights I have seen.

What 1 weight division would you tell them to watch? Not sure so would like some recommendations. Seem to watch middleweights mostly. (again mainly because of the likes of Andy Lee, Macklin and Duddy before he retired)

What era would you tell them was the best? I read the book Four Kings. Seemed like an awesome era for boxing.

rawa86

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:37 am

One wish to change boxing for the better - One sole ruling organisation, meaning one champ per division.

What 1 fight would you show your new friend to get them to fall in love with it? Very tough but probably Barrera vs Morales 1

What 1 weight division would you tell them to watch? WW

What era would you tell them was the best? 1970-1985 (only because my knowledge prior to this is poor)

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Fri 09 Mar 2012, 3:23 pm

Adam D wrote:We have all had many discussions in the past about how the sport of boxing is moving out of the limelight of the mainstream and losing its fan base.

However, let's assume that you could wave a magic wand to make things better. What would you do?

As a secondary question to this topic, let's assume that you make a new friend (highly unlikely, having gotten to know most of you). How would you get them into boxing?

As this is my thread, I thought I would lay down some ground rules for this topic. You can only answer each of the following with one answer and one answer only.

So let's hear your thoughts:

One wish to change boxing for the better -
What 1 fight would you show your new friend to get them to fall in love with it?
What 1 weight division would you tell them to watch?
What era would you tell them was the best?

Over to you.....

1. I wish that Bob Arum would leave boxing
2. Watch Corrales vs Castillo 1 or probably Gatti vs Ward
3. Lightweight - Welterweight
4. 90's - Present (in my eyes as im young!)

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 09 Mar 2012, 6:14 pm

i would like all promoters and govering bodies to become obsolete. having one ruling super body with one belt that decided who and where fighters fight. no more protecting/ducking.

the ufc is a example of this, while there are a few draw backs to this, the fights that the fans what to see are usually made. and the whole pacman v mayweather non event would never happen

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 09 Mar 2012, 6:30 pm

1. Can't limit it to one; the original 8 divisions with only one governing body
2. The Valentines day massacre
3. Lightweight
4. 1930-1950's, the BMR, Robinson, Moore, Pep, Saddler, Ross, Canzoneri, Armstrong and Charles at their bests, what more could you want. A fairly big period but plenty of overlap between dozens and dozens of great fighters fighting eachother normally more than once.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:05 pm

One wish to change boxing for the better - Best vs the Best on Terrestrial TV
What 1 fight would you show your new friend to get them to fall in love with it? JMM - Diaz 1 -- you don't want to go to much into history with a non boxing fan
What 1 weight division would you tell them to watch? WW
What era would you tell them was the best? not sure, different weights had different peaks in history. You don'y want to mention this era isn't good as that takes away bit of shine from boxing from a non boxing follower

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:40 pm

1. weight divisions ran like super six tournemants, with leagues such as premiership, first divison etc

2. ward vs gatti (tried and tested all the fights i show my mates, this one goes down best every)

3. uk heavys

4. 90s, calzaghe, naz, lewis ect

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down