The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How will the All Blacks go next year?

+9
gelodge
rodders
disneychilly
chewed_mintie
red_stag
Glas a du
Biltong
bedfordwelsh
blackcanelion
13 posters

Go down

How will the All Blacks go next year? Empty How will the All Blacks go next year?

Post by blackcanelion Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:19 am

How well do you think the All Blacks will go next year. Will they kick on from the world cup, stall, or nose dive? How will they compare with past winners?

My guess is they will struggle next year. The weight of being world champions and no1 puts a mark on your head. There’s a new coach, a new world cup cycle and some teams on the up. A nu,ber of players are nearing the end of the careers, left, or have injury concerns.

Here’s the schedule, as far as I know:
- A three game tour of NZ by Ireland in June
- Home and away Rugby Championship games against SA, Australia and Argentina in August and September
- A potential additional Bledisloe Cup game against Australia at a neutral venue
- A four test tour of the Europe that includes a game against England.

I hoping for 14 out of 14, but my mind says 11 out of 14 would be good (and we might struggle to win 11). I’m guessing that we may struggle against SA and Australia next year. I think the Ireland team will be pretty shattered by the time the tour comes around. But I’m picking a potential upset to England or France if we play them in October.

How will they compare with past teams? Only the 99 Australians have pushed on the professional era. I’m guessing they'll be somewhere in the middle. Here’s the history for the year following the world cup.

NZ 1987-end 1988
Played 6, won 5, drew one. Seems a tiny amount of games to play compared to today. 3 wins and draw against Australia and a couple of huge wins over Wales in NZ. An easy schedule by today’s standards.

Australia 1991-end 1992
Played 8, won 7, lost 1. Big wins over Ireland, Wales and Scotland. Victory over the Boks in SA and a 2:1 series win over NZ in Australia.

South Africa 1995-end 1996
Played 16, won 11 lost 5. A lot of games. Victories over the northern teams (including England and France in Europe), Argentina, and a win and loss against Australia. The record is only marred by 4:1 series loss to John Harts All Blacks.

Australia 1999-end 2000
Played 10, won 8, lost 2. Victories over the Boks (3), Argentina (2), France and Scotland, plus a drawn series with NZ. The other loss was to a rapidly improving Woodward coached England.

England 2003-end 2004
Played 11, won 5, lost 6. The worst record following a cup yet. Beat Canada, Italy, Scotland and Wales. Lost to NZ(2), SA, Australia(2) and France.

South Africa 2007-2008
Played 16: won 12, lost 4. Victories over England, Wales(4) and minor nations couldn’t hide the fact they struggled against NZ and Australia.

Last edited by blackcanelion on Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

How will the All Blacks go next year? Empty Re: How will the All Blacks go next year?

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:29 am

When a new coach beds in it can always have an affect as he will want to do things his way so to speak.

As for having a mark on their head well I think the Blacks are always the one people want to shoot down so that won't be any different.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

How will the All Blacks go next year? Empty Re: How will the All Blacks go next year?

Post by Biltong Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:35 am

nothing will change, the weight of being world champions will make no difference.

There is always a target on new Zealand.

The fact is there are , have always been, and still are only a few teams capable of challenging them.

consistency has never been a problem before, doubt it will be now.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:05 am

HOW WILL THE ALL BLACKS GO NECT (sic) YEAR?

They will go broke.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:16 am

Once they lose to Ireland, I don't care Smile
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:46 am

I think, in the least arrogant way possible, it will be business as usual. Hansen isn’t really a new coach, he’s just stepping up (if he gets it of course). I think in terms of the coaching team the biggest mistake we can make is bringing in Ian Foster. Did nothing in 8 years with the Chiefs so shouldn’t come near the AB’s. I’d prefer Kirwan be brought in as backs coach.

Ireland will be a great test for us first up. I can see SA and Australia having troubles away in the Champ so I think we can win that. By the Autumn we should be humming, as we usually are so watch out those teams.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:48 am

You're right, until Super Rugby goes bust.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 11 Nov 2011, 10:19 am

I reckon the Irish will turn us over in one finally, but that may give us a kick in the bum needed to take the 4N.

We'll be rusty and coming to terms with new coaching styles, and also we won't be playing with a point to prove. Often the year after a WC we give the champions a hiding. We always have the motivation to play well and do the black jersey justice but there's not that chip on the shoulder this time. Aussie and SA will find it harder in Argentina I think.

11 out of 14 seems reasonable. Crazy though back in the day the coach would be lynched if he lost three in a season.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 11 Nov 2011, 10:25 am

biltongbek wrote:nothing will change, the weight of being world champions will make no difference.

There is always a target on new Zealand.

The fact is there are , have always been, and still are only a few teams capable of challenging them.

consistency has never been a problem before, doubt it will be now.

+ 1

I hope there is one change though and thats that Ireland will finally beat them! Very Happy
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 11 Nov 2011, 10:55 am

If you don't turn us over in one you guys should be absolutely filthy. Why? Because you're good enough. You're too good a side to have the record you do-it's just been unfortunate that your best years have coincided with NZ in good form too.

Do I want you to win one though? Hell no! Will never hear the end of it here!

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:05 am

Laugh don't you think you should let the players know that!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Fri 11 Nov 2011, 12:47 pm

How will the All Blacks go next year?

How many games will they have Craig Joubert for?

Wink

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 11 Nov 2011, 1:34 pm

Probably as many as Wayne Barnes.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 1:48 pm

Glas a Du what is this obsession with NZ Rugby going bust,if they do they do live with it.Gelodge,
The All Blacks have a 75.6% win ratio over 108 years Craig Joubert was`nt officiating them all.
They`ve been robbed by officials as many times as the other way around IF
you`re that small minded.
The All Blacks will probably have Hansen as coach,would like Kirwan with him but unlikely.
All Blacks have lost ONE major player from the squad Brad Thorn,and the wider squad is better than ever.
Over the last few years they have done as well or better than the reigning RWC holders most years including 2009 when it was 4.
They average 1 or 2 a year out of 14 or 15 no matter who owns the Bill,expect about the same.
Australia first up away,may be one ,Ireland at last may pull one back but its home,so don`t hold your breath.
They may drop1- 2 in the 4Ns,BUT win the first title,clean sweep versus Ireland,and Autumn tour.Third Bledisloe may be iffy.
With the players they have there hardly basket cases,SA rebuilding,England,Scotland ,Ireland ditto,only Australia have a settled side
and injuries may disrupt that.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 11 Nov 2011, 1:56 pm

I lose track of who is leaving.

Thorn and Nonu are gone. Richie McCaw will probably be out so Todd might come in for him. Read might be made captain instead. Carter will be back. Any chance of him playing at 12 from time to time to blood the likes of Cruden and Slade?

You´ve still got a backline of Dagg, Jane, (hopefully Gear makes it back into black), Kahui, Smith, SBW, Carter and Weepu with hopefully a new halfback and Cowan is told to sharpen up and drink more Lift Plus.

Then you have possibly McCaw out for a bit so Read, Todd, Kaino, Whitelock, (is Ali Williams still about?), Thorn leaves a big gap as he was Mr Professional and looked after himself so well. He´s the biggest hole to fill. Otherwise I think we have the same front row and have a few youngsters coming through who are worth a shout.

Looks like a pretty solid base still to work from and the pride and history in the black shirt won´t put out the hunger or fire in the team. I expect SA and Australia will be motivated to get one over the world champs but then again they´re always keen to beat the ABs as are any team. The Irish series will be a cracker. Also Maori are touring at the end of the year 2012 so plenty of rugby to see.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:17 pm

Mc Caw goes under the knife later this month,will be back probably by end of February rested and ready to go.Carter will be back too,Nonu out says who ?.Last I heard he was playing for the Blues,Nonu,Conrad Smith,SBW,Carter,Weepu,Ellis,Dagg.About 8 candidates for wing,Kahui,Toeva,Crudon,Slade.
All the forwards bar Thorn,are there plus Todd,Donnelly,Hika Elliot,Wyatt Crockett plus Hoerta,Sam Cane,Luke Braid,Robbie Fruen.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:35 pm

I reckon if Kahui plays well in midfield he could usurp Smith who may well head overseas in a year or two.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Fri 11 Nov 2011, 3:02 pm

emack2 wrote:Gelodge,
The All Blacks have a 75.6% win ratio over 108 years Craig Joubert was`nt officiating them all.
They`ve been robbed by officials as many times as the other way around IF
you`re that small minded.

Jeez, lighten up emack2! It was clearly a joke. Are you not able to see smilies? Rather pathetic of you to resort to personal attacks.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 11 Nov 2011, 3:05 pm

Well good news emack about Nonu. I thought he was off to Japan. Obviously the black hole that is Madrid for rugby news distorted my take on that.

Smith is off on a big OE with his girlfriend and has a special dispensation to start the S15 season late. He´s going to South America and beyond. But maybe that story is pure fabrication as well so don´t quote me on that.

All in all, things look good. Plenty of motivation to get that 3N trophy back. That trophy cabinet is looking a bit bare without it. Whistle

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 11 Nov 2011, 3:36 pm

I know Kia I'm gutted that the cabinet's not full! It is a glaring omission.

Ireland's a black hole sometimes too. Especially getting Sky Sports news with that smug idiot there reporting on football and only something else if England are dominating.

SBW is in Panama too ha maybe him and Smith could meet up. Man wish I could have gone to SA on Smith's wages as I wouldn't have had to be in hostels the whole time! Great most of the time but sometimes you just want your own shower!

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 3:37 pm

Gelodge not mean`t as a personal attack,if you perceive it as such sorry.
BUT it is getting very monotonous droning on about Referees decisions,its done move on.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 11 Nov 2011, 4:38 pm

They are obviously expecting a tough year because they "dodged" Scotland in the summer fixture list.

Reminds me of a fading champion boxer running scared of a thrusting challenger. Not really.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 11 Nov 2011, 7:30 pm

I think Ireland will take one of the 3. 3 tests are rare and will give ireland time to immerse themselves into things NZ. Theyll work out how to win against us and wont be intimidated, something NZ have been able to rely on in one offs.
If they havnt won one by the third that might be their first.
Other than that. I expect some scratchy moments with SA who will be rebuilding in the same way we are.
Oz need to find more forwards and cant rely completely on their stars. That showed this year at the end when injuries hit

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:04 pm

Scotland,and Italy are on the AI list 2012.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down