The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northampton v Scarlets

+48
Knackeredknees
Breadvan
Standulstermen
Gibson
slartibartfast
munkian
belovedfrosties
bedfordwelsh
Cymroglan
Casartelli
westernosprey
Knowsit17
GLove39
Hood83
Thomond
ME-109
flankertye
mckay1402
wales606
Golden
EnglishReign
formerly known as Sam
valjester
Coltnet
Artful_Dodger
BigTrevsbigmac
Morgannwg
faraway
doctor_grey
yappysnap
Luckless Pedestrian
Comfort
Cumbrian
whocares
beshocked
Glas a du
flyhalffactory
LordDowlais
bathmad
Metal Tiger
Turkster
red_stag
B91212
SubsBench
maestegmafia
BlueNote
LondonTiger
Smirnoffpriest
52 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Northampton v Scarlets - Page 6 Empty Northampton v Scarlets

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15725328.stm

Northampton put their seven-and-a-half year unbeaten Heineken Cup record on the line against Scarlets on Friday.

The Llanelli region were the last team to beat Saints at Franklin's Gardens when fly-half Stephen Jones kicked eight points in an 18-9 win in 2004.

The Scarlets have only won once away in their last eight European games and but Heineken Cup runners-up Northampton lost their opener this term at Munster.

Rhys Priestland could make his first Scarlets start this season.

The versatile back suffered a shoulder injury in Wales' World Cup quarter-final victory over Ireland and came on as a replacement for Stephen Jones in the Scarlets' opening European victory against Castres.

Northampton beat Llanelli at the Madejski Stadium in the 2000 Heineken Cup semi-final en route to winning the tournament.

----------------------------------------------------------

Should be a good game but unfortunately I can't see the Scarlets getting much out of it, hopefully a LBP. Still we can dream

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Northampton v Scarlets - Page 6 Empty Re: Northampton v Scarlets

Post by slartibartfast Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:36 am

Knackeredknees wrote:slartibartfast
Trouble is you see it happen 10+ times in a game by everyone

no you don't

neither am I saying scarlets are saints (get it?).
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:40 am

Very good laughing
but if you can watch the games today, you will see at least on e person grab someones legs in a ruck and try to clear them out.
I will ask the ref at my game today to see if it is actually against the laws to clear out this way

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:49 am

Knackeredknees wrote:Very good laughing
but if you can watch the games today, you will see at least on e person grab someones legs in a ruck and try to clear them out.
I will ask the ref at my game today to see if it is actually against the laws to clear out this way

I disagree, the last time I saw someone do what Ashton did was Colin "Pine Tree" Meads on Ken Catchpole and it finished Catchpoles rugby career. A very synical act

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:52 am

Yahoo

SO HAPPY!

Incredibly lucky for the 2nd try but that was an amazing team performance. Proud of all of them. Worried Timani might get cited for a late tackle, and really really worried about Georgie. he did NOT look good coming off the pitch.

Other then that though I'm really pleased. I would have been happy with 1 point, but to get 5?! unbeleivable!!

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:00 am

RD

I couldn't agree more, surely one of the best scarlet results since their 2006-07 unbeaten run to the semis.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:06 am

I mean, Gilbert came on for Shings as his HEC debut, Reed came on coming back from poor form, Gareth Davies had his first start for AGES, and they were all superb. Just really stepped up a level.

THink we only missed two 1st up tackles the whole match, one did lead to a Saints try but we coped well with the other break they made.

And our driving maul! I usually hate them but it was a thing of beauty! Garin needs a big pat on the back for how he's helped us.

I'm just really proud of them. Big shout out to Sanjay at full back. he's sloted in so well for us, and is just playing so well.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:14 am

Liam Williams has been superb at fullback. Another great string to Scarlett's bow.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:27 am

Any one heard any news on George-y boy?

Getting a bit worried over here..

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:48 am

At the end of the game George seemed to be having a laugh with the rest of the guys on the bench, I don't think his injury is that bad.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:55 am

rugbydreamer wrote:I mean, Gilbert came on for Shings as his HEC debut, Reed came on coming back from poor form, Gareth Davies had his first start for AGES, and they were all superb. Just really stepped up a level.

THink we only missed two 1st up tackles the whole match, one did lead to a Saints try but we coped well with the other break they made.

And our driving maul! I usually hate them but it was a thing of beauty! Garin needs a big pat on the back for how he's helped us.

I'm just really proud of them. Big shout out to Sanjay at full back. he's sloted in so well for us, and is just playing so well.

Totally agree. Nigel Davies' baby's really put their bodies on the line and play for each other. They should be the role model for Welsh rugby. Can't believe how critical I was of this team years ago, not knowing Nige's plan! They've done it the hard the way, now they'll be consistently good for the next few years.

As for North, it looked like it was either a dead leg (not so serious) or a knee injury (serious).
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:04 pm

The depth on the Scarlett's is great too.

Considering that they are using only two or three players that were not developed through the Scarlett's academy they have done some fantastic work.

Jon Edwards, Shingler, Welch and Gareth Davies are not recognised first choice players. All playing far above expectation.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Still can't stop grinning Yahoo what a result

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:27 pm

Wing George North is a doubt for Wales' Test against Australia after suffering a groin injury during the Scarlets win at Northampton.

North was helped off the field at Franklin's Gardens in the 77th minute after receiving a heavy blow during the Heineken Cup match.

Wales are scheduled to name their squad to face Australia on Sunday.

But Scarlets coach Nigel Davies said: "It's [North's injury] something we'll have to wait and see over."

Fly-half Rhys Priestland also suffered a shoulder blow that is not though to be serious.

But 19-year-old wing North, who has won 15 caps, is to have a scan on the injury.

Wales' injury list is mounting ahead of the Wallabies clash on 3 December at the Millennium Stadium.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:36 pm

Aha! I thought it was a groin injury. They can be tricky mind, hope it's not a serious one.

View - same here, Very Happy so happy still!

And for those who were surprised about Shingler out pacing Ashton on the wing, he does play on the wing for Wales in rugby 7's, the man has serious pace!

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:24 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/11/19/scarlets-ease-fears-over-george-north-injury-91466-29805293/

Looks like its not as bad as first thought.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:39 pm

Anybody on here good with the Laws of the game and their interpretations?

Can anyone tell me why that 'Rolling' Maul that the Scarlets had, the one when they were, literally, running towards the Northampton tryline, why it was allowed to be pulled down 3 or 4 yard short without being penalised? Shouldn't it have been a penalty at least, or even a penalty-try?

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by bobo Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:55 pm

Been an avid follower of debates here and on the old 606, but felt the need to sign up to congratulate scarlets on their fans. was at the game last night and their supporters were fantastic, rivaling the ulstermen at MK last season!

Shocking game from a saints point of view, played terribly, not to mention the attitude of a certain Mr Ashton after dropping the ball for Scarlets fourth try.

We took a well deserved beating. Congratulations Scarlets.

bobo

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:00 pm

The Scarlets fans that made the journey were very vocal and sang songs all game. They were a credit to the Region.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:17 pm

Bobo - Ale for you, cracking first post. Welcome to the forum Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:04 pm

The Scarlets played fantastic rugby, it was a brilliant match.
Hopefully this fantastic run can continue, it seems finally they may of found a bit of consistency. Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:15 pm

Great result was so pleased but couldn't celebrate too much when I was keeping up with the scores as I was sitting next to a mate at the Blues game who had recorded it - so I was quietly smiling to myself - but as soon as the Blues game finished the guys in front of us shouted out the score Laugh

Worried about North, haven't seen the game but the posts on here make it sound like there was some real dirty play.

G Davies, Shingler, Liam Williams, Gilbert & S Williams are such prospects not to mention Murphy, Owens, E Phillips, Gardiner & Warren

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:03 pm

North said on twitter that he is fine and will be okay,

Yes i use twitter chin

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:01 am

Turkster wrote:Anybody on here good with the Laws of the game and their interpretations?

Can anyone tell me why that 'Rolling' Maul that the Scarlets had, the one when they were, literally, running towards the Northampton tryline, why it was allowed to be pulled down 3 or 4 yard short without being penalised? Shouldn't it have been a penalty at least, or even a penalty-try?

Because it was too good they ended up without any saints players bound - the first guy in can then tackle the maul.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:15 am

Must admit - wasn't a big fan of north when be first came on the scene, big and fast but I had my doubts about "rugby ability".

Now he's the first name on the team sheet.

He's already a Mister Reliable

Do you think he could cover prop?
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:11 am

I reckon he could cover 8 at regional level.

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:47 pm

slartibartfast wrote:
Turkster wrote:Anybody on here good with the Laws of the game and their interpretations?

Because it was too good they ended up without any saints players bound - the first guy in can then tackle the maul.

That would be a penality to Saint's for "Truck and Trailer" as the Scarlet players in front of the ball would have been obstructing the tackling player

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:36 pm

slartibartfast wrote:Must admit - wasn't a big fan of north when be first came on the scene, big and fast but I had my doubts about "rugby ability".

Now he's the first name on the team sheet.

He's already a Mister Reliable

Do you think he could cover prop?

I used to think along the same lines... but if anything the size and pace are only bonuses on top of his astonishing rugby ability. Unbelievable balance and poise for such a big man. When Shane retires and he's given freedom to roam for Wales, I can only see him getting more and more involved...

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:25 pm

Knackeredknees wrote:
slartibartfast wrote:

That would be a penality to Saint's for "Truck and Trailer" as the Scarlet players in front of the ball would have been obstructing the tackling player

Nope becuase the maul started with saints involved - they subsequently fell off the maul because of the intensity of it - that's not Scarlets fault. It's only truck and trailer if someone was protecting the ball carrier from the off or the ball carrier detaches and reattaches the same maul.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6