The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Putter shaft length.

+13
twoeightnine
jeffkenna
Lairdy
Doon the Water
McLaren
JAS
navyblueshorts
barragan
Doc
Maverick
oldshanker
super_realist
4putt
17 posters

Go down

Putter shaft length. Empty Putter shaft length.

Post by 4putt Wed 16 Nov 2011, 1:47 am

Being as I'm a bit vertically challenged, 5' 8", I recently had my putter shaft shortened. At the moment it's made a big difference. Only 3 putting now instead of 4. Very Happy
Seriously, how many people experiment with putter shafts and grips? I know that nearly everyone I play with buys a putter and sticks with it, as it is, until they buy the next.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Putter shaft length. Empty Re: Putter shaft length.

Post by super_realist Wed 16 Nov 2011, 6:01 am

I'm 5'11 and cut my putters down to 33'. Stick putters off the shelf are normally always too long for people. Retro putter fitting and balance certifying can make a big difference to your consistency.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 16 Nov 2011, 6:41 am

I've tried all sorts of putter lengths, grips and weights.

At the moment - I am using a 32" shaft (I'm 6'1"), with a thin grip and 30 extra grammes of weight on the head and the shaft. This is an experiment to see if I could use a heavy putter and not twitch it off the green, also I read somewhere the average length of putter shafts on tour is only 32". It certainly gets my head over the ball, but is it working? We'll see!

Patience is a virtue. angel
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 16 Nov 2011, 7:08 am

I'm 5'6 a comparitively short ar5e... My putter I'm using is 33" and has a midsize grip.

I can't remember the last time I bought a putter off the shelf without having the shaft length either altered or actually ordering the same model to the length I want it.

My current one ironically though is the exception to that rule as it was on the shelf at 33" (which is actually an inch longer than I normally go for) with the midsize grip but felt and still feels great so I'm sticking with it in its current setup

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:02 am

If I dig all my putters out, I don't think I've got 2 the same size. Before I got the latest one earlier this year, I was using a 31" blade with a huge grip, which looked different, but was comfortable and seemed to work.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:35 am

I'm only 5'10", but like a longer putter. Current one is an inch longer than standard - 35". I have quite broad shoulders and I find my arms feel too tense when straightening my arms when using the likes of a 33" model - I like to have a little bend in my elbows.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:27 am

I'm ~6' 1" and the putter's 34". Experiment a bit and currently have ~30-35g extra weight in it cf. when I bought it and have tried different grips. Currently loving the Lamkin Crossline that's on it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:39 pm

I'm 5'6" (in shoes) but with relatively long arms for my height. My putting is sooo much more reliable since I go properly sized for it. I got a fitting and got about an inch and a half lopped off the standard 32" but had some weight inserted in the new mid sized grip to keep it balanced.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:50 pm

Jas, The way you describe yourself you sound like a chimpanzee.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:02 pm

I have no idea about the proper technique and worry that I have ruined the balance of my putter but I just took the grip of, cut about two inches off and put on a new grip.

I cut it down to 33 inches and even at that it is 0.5 of and inch to long. I am
about 5 foot 8.

Does anyone know if balance is affected by haft length?

There is something very satisfying about playing about with clubs whether it by chopping bits off, buffing them up or just re-gripping.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:12 pm

Of course Mac, you change the balance point if you chop it down (or extend it) shorten the putter and it will feel different in your hand.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:14 pm

That may explain some issues I have in the long putting stats department.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:16 pm

super_realist wrote:Jas, The way you describe yourself you sound like a chimpanzee.

...and sometimes I score like one too Wink

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:34 pm

Doesn't matter what club in your bag you chop mac, you will affect the swing weight and in case of a putter the balance of the club

You always need be mindful when playing about with the length of a club, For example with a driver you can if you take of say and inch and a half affect the club by upto 2 swingweights depending on shaft, the club and what grip you then replace it with.. Something my old man fell fowl of recently

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 16 Nov 2011, 11:04 pm

I knew cutting a shaft would effect the swing weight but did not think it would be much of an issue on a putter. At times from outside 25 feet I was struggling to get within 8 foot this season after I chopped my putter.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 17 Nov 2011, 7:51 am

Jaz
Reminds me of the very old golfing gorilla joke!

.........and how's the gorilla's putting?

I have an old Bullseye whish I sometimes use on fast greens. It has a very thin grip which helps me grip lightly.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:11 am

Mac get yourself some lead tape off ebay and stick some of that to your putter head. I had a putter I didnt like the feel of as it was too long. Got about 1.5" off it and put the lead tape on it until it felt right. I think I had a swingweight chart and doctored a set of scales to measure what the putters swingweight was but that doesnt really matter as much as how it feels to you.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Thu 17 Nov 2011, 5:15 pm

I would be of the opinion that the putter is the one club in the bag where a custom fitting in not critical, rather pure feel and comfort is more important. It is the one club I have never got fitted for. I would say though I am only an average putter, don't really three putt much as my judgement of pace is solid from long and mid range, however I don't hole enough and have a tendency to miss a few shorties through a tentative stroke. Perhaps a custom fit putter is worth a try and it may provide a necessary confidence boost.

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Thu 17 Nov 2011, 5:35 pm

6' tall and 32". My pro gave me a putting lesson as I had started missing short putts. He explained my eyes weren't over the ball so I was seeing a different line.

He gave me a putter with no grip and got my eyes over the ball then I put my hands where they were comfortable. He marked it then we compared it to mine and my hands would have been off the end of the grip.

I was a bit worried about having a toy town putter and he had one that I could try. Felt better but it was only when he said that it used to belong to Padraig Harrington that I felt if it was good enough for him...

I'm am much more confident with it now and my putting has improved massively since then. Particularly from 8 feet in.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by GWR-Golfer Fri 18 Nov 2011, 8:42 am

I am 5' 10" and have used a 34' putter for years and years.

I was at the Ping factory this year getting fitted with Anser irons - at the end of the session I asked about one of the new putters. A Pro watched me for a few minutes and then said "do you pull your putts when you hit a poor one? -- yes was my answer.

He went off and got me a 32" putter - what a difference - the reason was I wasn't getting my head over the ball properly --- and I'd been doing that for years Sad

Now my putting has improved by at least 2 strokes a round
GWR-Golfer
GWR-Golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:09 pm

I'm 6'3" and had my putter lengthened from 34' to 35' a couple of years ago. It felt a lot better instantly, made a huge difference. Considering having it lengthened again by an inch. Still feels like I'm reaching down slightly.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:19 pm

Maverick wrote:I'm 5'6 a comparitively short ar5e...

If there was ever a thread started 'What do you think 606 v2 users look like?', I would have got you quite wrong.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:29 pm

In the 60's one of the top amateurs at Muirfield and The R&A used to putt with a two foot cut down hickory. He was about 6'3 and 14 stone.

Great story about him when he once played badly in the summer meeting so took to the drink. It was one of those days when everyone scored poorly and very much to his surprise he was led out to the first tee, absolutely steemin, for a play off. The story goes that he missed his first drive by about 12".

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:29 pm

Good point Merc.

I've often wondered what 606ers look like.
Care to start such a thread?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:36 pm

Mercurio wrote:

If there was ever a thread started 'What do you think 606 v2 users look like?', I would have got you quite wrong.

Interesting to hear what people would think we each look like, maybe we should get a thread going

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:37 pm

Maverick wrote:
Mercurio wrote:

Interesting to hear what people would think we each look like, maybe we should get a thread going

Done

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Sun 20 Nov 2011, 10:23 pm

I'm 6'3 and use a 33" Odyssey at the moment, but all of my other putters are 34". I have no idea why the standard length is 35" as it feels way too long. A shorter putter gives much greater feel, and I seem to be in far greater control of the putter at impact.

One of my regular playing partners is 6'7 and uses a 30" putter. He's the best putter I've ever seen from inside 10 feet.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down