The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shaft or Head First?

+5
Lairdy
Roller_Coaster
1GrumpyGolfer
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SmithersJones
9 posters

Go down

Shaft or Head First? Empty Shaft or Head First?

Post by SmithersJones Mon 14 Jan 2013, 9:48 am

A bit of advice please? I'm going to get a new driver next month - probably a choice between a Titleist, a Nike or a TaylorMade. I last bought a driver in late 2007, to replace a soon-to-be non-conforming model. I tried 4 or 5 different models at a local range, using a launch monitor. That helped me identify which one of the off the shelf clubs suited me best, and I bought it. However, about 18 months ago I went to a custom fitter because I was hitting it too high. He recommended a different shaft, which resulted in a much better flight.

So my dilemma is this - do I identify the optimum shaft for my (current) swing, and then try the various heads with that (type of) shaft, or should I try the stock clubs, pick a favourite and then get the best shaft for that particular club?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Shaft or Head First? Empty Re: Shaft or Head First?

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Mon 14 Jan 2013, 9:54 am

Why don't you just get it custom-fitted.

Decide which brand & go to the nearest fitting centre.
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 14 Jan 2013, 10:03 am

I guess what I'm really asking is is it possible to get the same sort of results from any driver? If I try off the shelf models to see which I prefer, I might happen to have a better shaft in one than the others which may skew my opinion. Should I just go with sound, look at address and feel and then trust that the distance and dispersion will be pretty much identical so long as I get the right shaft?

I will be going for some sort of custom fit, what I'm asking is which way round is best?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon 14 Jan 2013, 10:59 am

SJ. I think you have to like the head first and then get the shaft, there's no point if it's not inspiring confidence, optimism, love, or whatever when you look down at it.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 14 Jan 2013, 11:34 am

I've never actually thought of it like that SJ. Gut feel would be choose the manufacturer and then go from there although for a good comparison I see you could do with the same shaft in each head you want to try.

I've never been in a position that I have a shaft I believe is right first. With my irons I simply went for a custom fitting with no specific manufacturer in mind and the pro asked for what my preferences were (forged but with some forgiveness and not more than £600) he then went through various heads and shafts from different manufacturers and I chose the Bridgestone J36 heads and the recommended shafts the pro advised. Had never given Bridgestone a second thought before either (incidentally the Bridgestone J40 drivers get a great review on mygolfspy and look really nice on the website - but I don't know if your fitter would stock them to test)

I guess that there is little discernible scientific difference between performance of manufacturers heads these days (with the caveat that they were each set up to the same loft/lie/face angles etc). How they look and feel to you would be key and so (if it's possible!) I'd suggest starting with the shaft you believe is the right one and trying each head with that before coming to a decision as to which one you like. I would suggest that you also revisit the shaft after you have chosen the head you like in case there's a better one for your game now.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Mon 14 Jan 2013, 12:31 pm

Headscratch ..... sorry... thought this was a totally different question! Run

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 14 Jan 2013, 12:49 pm

If it was a Friday the double entendre market would have been open for business and I dare say the word stiff would have been used on numerous occasions!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 14 Jan 2013, 1:17 pm

I can't say the thought didn't occur to me when composing the title Wink
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 15 Jan 2013, 12:51 pm

Head first and then shaft. Bore depth in the head, head weight etc etc will all affect how the shaft behaves. The same shaft in two different heads will almost certainly give quite different behaviours.

Get a head you know/like and then get fitted for a shaft in that head.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:33 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Head first and then shaft. Bore depth in the head, head weight etc etc will all affect how the shaft behaves. The same shaft in two different heads will almost certainly give quite different behaviours.

Get a head you know/like and then get fitted for a shaft in that head.

Excellent point, nbs, thanks. I think that's pretty much decided it for me.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 22 Jan 2013, 11:44 am

Just a quick update - I popped into the shop where I got my current driver, and chatted it over with them. They're going to give me a bell when the new TM demo models come in, and the Nike. I'm going to test them against the Titleist, which tbh is favourite given my history of drivers. On the assumption there's not much between the different clubs, they've also booked me in for a Titleist demo day at the end of Feb when I'll be able to get the right loft and shaft combo.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Tue 22 Jan 2013, 12:07 pm

There is some weird stuff going on with this year's new drivers, don't you think?

The TM R1 has peculiar graphics at address and what looks like a giant compass stuck on the bottom. The Nike Covert has a hollowed out section that might be mistaken at first glance as the result of a tee-box strop. Callaway seem to think that different colour schemes for the crown are desirable. And Lynx say theirs performs better when warm, so the head cover has some battery-powered internal electric heating thing.

Strange times.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 22 Jan 2013, 12:12 pm

They are getting increasingly gimmicky, you're right. I guess there's only so much they can all do with the restrictions on face flexibility, head size etc. I'm replacing a Titleist 907D2, which is 6 years old so I'm confident that I'll see an improvement over that. The manufacturers of course have to generate improvement in every subsequent model, hence this straw clutching.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 22 Jan 2013, 2:36 pm

Is the 'compass' on the bottom of the R1 to help you find your way back to the fairway from a wayward tee shot into the nearest forest I wonder?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:09 am

The distances TM say you'll hit with it means you'd need more than a compass to get back. Sir Ranulph Fiennes help at least...

The R1 looks awful imo, it's almost as if they are trying to take your mind off the horrible massive triangular shape of the head by painting , erm, a more obvious triangular motif on it.

If (as TM claim) it's an alignment aid, why is the triangular graphic on the Rocketballz 2 the other way round?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by HiGun Wed 23 Jan 2013, 11:17 am

Im going to buy a new driver for this season and was waiting for the R1, had an R11 a couple of years and loved it. So thought would give the R1 a go. Now Ive seen it there no chance, its disgusting!!

Ive looked at the offerings from other manufacturers and none of them take my fancy.

Might get another R11...£170 brand new...why not

HiGun

Back to top Go down

Post by Humpyd Thu 24 Jan 2013, 8:47 am

Smithers, you mention being booked in for a Titleist demo day at the endof Feb. Is that happening somewhere in Essex? I know a few people who would be interested to attend if it is.

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 24 Jan 2013, 10:29 am

Humpyd wrote:Smithers, you mention being booked in for a Titleist demo day at the endof Feb. Is that happening somewhere in Essex? I know a few people who would be interested to attend if it is.

Carpenters Arms driving range at Rayleigh, Weds 27th Feb.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down