The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons v Mogliano - Two giants of European rugby go head to head...

+6
The Saint
dragon999
ScarletSpiderman
bedfordwelsh
munkian
Luckless Pedestrian
10 posters

Go down

Dragons v Mogliano - Two giants of European rugby go head to head... Empty Dragons v Mogliano - Two giants of European rugby go head to head...

Post by Guest Fri 11 Oct - 9:37

Two super powers of European rugby go head to head tonight in what promises to be a mouth watering encounter at Newport's own 'Theatre of Dreams' - Rodney Parade. With budgets eclipsing the likes of Toulon and Racing Metro, and aspirations set even higher, this encounter has all the signs of a being classic.

Super coach Lyn Jones is spoiled for choice with a Dragons squad of some 30 odd international players - there's only 15 in a team! This has given him the luxury of resting 7 times word cup winners such as Jason Tovey and Richie Rees, and bringing in the likes of 8 times world cup winners Kris Burton and Jonathan Evans.

For Mogliano, they've picked a team:

Teams:

Wales 
NG Dragons: 15 Hallam Amos, 14 Will Harries, 13 Adam Hughes, 12 Ross Wardle, 11 Tom Prydie, 10 Kris Burton, 9 Jonathan Evans; 1 Owen Evans, 2 Sam Parry, 3 Francisco Chaparro, 4 Matthew Screech, 5 Rob Sidoli (c), 6 Ieuan Jones, 7 Nic Cudd, 8 Toby Faletau.

Replacements: 16 Phil Price, 17 Elliot Dee, 18 Dan Way, 19 Netani Talei, 20 Adam Jones, 21 Wayne Evans, 22 Jason Tovey, 23 Lewis Robling.

RedWine 
Rugby Mogliano: 15 Nicolo' Fadalti, 14 Alberto Zorzi, 13 Giovanni Benvenuti, 12 Tommaso Boni, 11 Filippo Guarducci, 10 Edoardo Padovani, 9 Enrico Endrizzi; 1 Agustin Costa Repetto , 2 Ornel Gega, 3 Alessio Ceglie, 4 Federico Maso, 5 Jacopo Bocchi, 6 Meyer Swanepoel, 7 Andrea Ceccato (c), 8 Thorleif Halvorsen.

Replacements: 16 Ivan Gianesini, 17 Simone Ferrari, 18 Massimiliano Ravalle, 19 Marco Lazzaroni, 20 Andrea Trotta, 21 Antonio Giabardo, 22 Matt Cornwell, 23 Enrico Ceccato

Prediction - Dragons by 20 (36-16), with a try bonus point.

Back to top Go down

Dragons v Mogliano - Two giants of European rugby go head to head... Empty Re: Dragons v Mogliano - Two giants of European rugby go head to head...

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 11 Oct - 10:17

Why is it that I'm more nervous ahead of games we're expected to win than I am ahead of games we're not?

We beat them fairly comfortably home and away last season, and given that we were a shower last season and have improved a hell of a lot, we should win even if they've improved themselves. But still, what if...?

I know it's due to injuries, but I'm really pleased to see Adam Hughes at outside centre. Our back row could be awesome, and with Talei to come on as well. I hope Lewis Robling has a decent run out, he looked really good in midfield against Munster last season.

It's a chance for Elliot Dee to show what he has to offer, too - if he plays well off the bench, he could leapfrog Gustafson and put himself in the mix.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Dragons v Mogliano - Two giants of European rugby go head to head... Empty Re: Dragons v Mogliano - Two giants of European rugby go head to head...

Post by munkian Fri 11 Oct - 10:56

Can't make this game but updates will hopefuly be on Twitter.

Need to keep pressure on for the full 5 points if we are to stand a chance against Baarf
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 11 Oct - 12:38

Again like the Zebre game I am confident we can win this comfortably and I am glad that hes gone with a pretty strong side still.

I have always said that I wish the coaches we have had would have given the Amlin a good shot as think we could go pretty far.

Bath away next week will be a different step up altogether but one we should be able to look forward to if we have our 1st choice side out.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Oct - 12:55

I'm usually a bit of a pessimist, and my score prediction was on the conservative side so as not to seem 'arrogant', but in reality I feel we should be able to beat this team by perhaps 40 points, mainly for the reasons Luckless suggests (our improvement since last season, new set up, etc.).

I guess a showing against a team that we're expected to beat will be a good measure of how far we've come under the new coaching team - have they instilled a ruthlessness, a drive to succeed even against 'lesser' opposition (where we often switched off in the past), have we now developed a bit of depth whereby the 2nd choice players can put in a good show?

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 11 Oct - 13:24

Griff,

That's a good point, if we can play to the level we did in games against Ulster and the Scarlets against so called 'lesser' teams then we should win and win comfortably.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 11 Oct - 13:44

Not wanting to be disrespectful, but I think Zebre gave Mogliano a pasting in the pre-season, and the Dragons won comfortably against Zebre, so this should be a big scoring game for the Dragons.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Oct - 13:51

Yeah, I know what you mean SS. I think we're just being a big cagey as the Dragons of old tended to put in 50% effort against poor teams and ended up chasing some games a bit. I'm hoping the new regime is instilling an attitude of all out effort regardless of the opposition or score line. Tonight will be a test of that. Fingers crossed for a decent win though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Oct - 16:37

The biggest thing is we keep our structure and don't see people getting white line fever. If we stick to the patterns, we should really win by fifty or so.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 11 Oct - 21:25

50-8 that will do very nicely for starters, good to see the improvements continuing.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Oct - 23:03

It is weird to moan about a 50-8 win, but we should've done that much better. Bath might put a ton on them at the Wreck, with their forward power. The BP was all we wanted, but let's hope the group doesn't come down to points difference. That first twenty after halftime was dreadful and I'm sure Lyn isn't overly chuffed with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Fri 11 Oct - 23:13

Have to agree Rev - we have come a long way in a short time & being disppointed with that win is a measure of where we now are - Still,really looking foward to a weekend in Bath & hope for a competative display against a very good home side.

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 12 Oct - 0:24

Doesn't seem too bad considering there were a few changes. Wardle is turning out to be a good find? And nice to see Harries back and on the scoresheet (didn't see the game, so didn't literally 'see' but you know what I mean...).

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 13 Oct - 16:49

I went to the game with my partner and we really enjoyed it, nice crowd and atmosphere.

It was bloody freezing though and I think the poor Italians didnt know what to make of the cold. The Dragons looked slick, the big difference was the ground the Dragons players were able to make when they smashed into the Mogliano defense.

That first half try from the lineout was fantastic as well.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Oct - 16:27

I didn't think the atmosphere was very good to be honest. I kind of felt it was because the result was expected, but I was hoping to show Gibson our repertoire and we didn't really bother singing much (one Men of Gwent and no SUFTMOG is pretty low key).

I was surprised to see the players compliment us too. Maybe it sounded ok, but it didn't really on the terrace.

Toby went back to his one handed spills, which I suspect was the nature of the game and him trying to force the play. Wardle's try and Harries' try were good finishes, but difficult how much that was down to the opposition (certainly Wardle's anyway).

Anyway, it was a good win and pleasing to see us go for the jugular again from 60 mins to 80

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Oct - 16:34

Also, we weren't particularly helped by the ref in my opinion. Seemed keen to ping us a lot (which hasn't really happened a lot), while seemingly being a bit sympathetic towards Mogliano

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 14 Oct - 18:26

You can't risk taking these Italian teams lightly. I see Brive drew 20 all with one of them!

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Mon 14 Oct - 19:21

Brive certainly didn't seem interested in that away match to Calvisano (13 changes to what they played at home the week before in the Top14). If you put out a half decent teams like Dragons, Wasps (Viadana 17-90) & L.Irish (60-11 Cavalieri) you get big scorelines.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Mon 14 Oct - 20:43

Risca Rev wrote:It is weird to moan about a 50-8 win, but we should've done that much better. Bath might put a ton on them at the Wreck, with their forward power. The BP was all we wanted, but let's hope the group doesn't come down to points difference. That first twenty after halftime was dreadful and I'm sure Lyn isn't overly chuffed with it.
Rev, if the teams are level on points then it is the aggregate score over the head to head games, then tries scored overall.

You'll have to give Bath a good drubbing at RP I reckon. Good luck anyway.

Ok!

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Oct - 21:37

Bath Schmath.

Makes sense why Lyn didn't go for more then. Could be a great night by the time they come to Dave then (hopefully with all to play for).

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 18 Oct - 20:24

Risca Rev wrote:I didn't think the atmosphere was very good to be honest. I kind of felt it was because the result was expected, but I was hoping to show Gibson our repertoire and we didn't really bother singing much (one Men of Gwent and no SUFTMOG is pretty low key).

I was surprised to see the players compliment us too. Maybe it sounded ok, but it didn't really on the terrace.

Toby went back to his one handed spills, which I suspect was the nature of the game and him trying to force the play. Wardle's try and Harries' try were good finishes, but difficult how much that was down to the opposition (certainly Wardle's anyway).

Anyway, it was a good win and pleasing to see us go for the jugular again from 60 mins to 80
Yes but I'm used to sitting in the half full Liberty stadium Whistle 
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down