The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons end European Campaign with Seven-Try Win

4 posters

Go down

Dragons end European Campaign with Seven-Try Win Empty Dragons end European Campaign with Seven-Try Win

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:32 pm

Venue: Rodney Parade, Newport

Attendance: 4,736

Referee: Andrew McMenemy (Scotland)

Final Score: Newport Gwent Dragons 45 - 16 RC I Cavalieri Prato

------------------------------

With neither Newport Gwent Dragons nor RC I Cavalieri Prato capable of progressing to the quarter finals of the Amlin Challenge Cup, it was perhaps surprising to see the Hazell Stand and Terrace of Rodney Parade so well-populated for Saturday's final Pool Four match. A once-traditional kick-off time of three o'clock is certain to have contributed to an attendance figure of 4,736. The teams' positions in their respective domestic leagues could scarcely have been more contrasting - Cavalieri sitting atop Italy's Eccellenza, the Dragons keeping company with Connacht and Aironi at the wrong end of the RaboDirect Pro 12 - but both came to the match eager to end their European adventure with a morale-boosting victory.

It was the home side that took the first step towards that victory: Cavalieri were caught offside on their 10-metre line and from the tap penalty, fly half Jason Tovey accepted a gap in the Prato midfield and broke through. The ball was recycled right and hooker Rhys Buckley crossed for the first try after four minutes, Tovey adding the two points.

It took until the ninth minute for Cavalieri to respond, good hands from lock Uili Kolo'ofai putting Kiwi full back Dion Berryman away on the left; Dragons left wing Aled Brew flew out of the defensive line to clatter fly half Riccardo Bocchino, who did well not to spill the ball in the collision. Bocchino showed no ill-effects as he kicked the visitors' first points after the Dragons were penalised for the tackler not releasing.

The Dragons extended their lead after 13 minutes when the ball was switched to the blindside from a scrum on the Prato 10-metre line. Jason Tovey eluded three men, flanker Dan Lydiate made ground and when the ball came right, centre Adam Hughes ran a lovely angle to go over. Lydiate's role in the try proved to be his last involvement in the game as he hobbled off with an ankle injury, a concern for Wales coach Warren Gatland with the opening round of the Six Nations championship a fortnight away.

The two-try advantage was indicative of the Dragons' dominance in the opening period, with talismanic number eight Toby Faletau and centres Adam Hughes and Andy Tuilagi making ground with almost every touch of the ball. Both midfielders revelled in the space they were finding and despite one being considerably heftier than the other, they proved equally hard to bring down. The third try came to another of the Dragons' key players, Aled Brew, courtesy of a long, looping pass from Tovey and some poor tackling from the visitors.

A long-range penalty from Bocchino doubled Cavalieri's tally in the 23rd minute, but it did little to stem the tide and full back Berryman was yellow-carded soon afterwards for a deliberate knock-on when Faletau's inside pass, after a storming run, would surely have led to a try. That fourth and bonus-point try eventually came on the half-hour mark when Samoan centre Tuilagi shrugged off three would-be tacklers to score from close range.

The first half ended with Tovey, who was showing what a capable general he can be, spotting a gap on the 10-metre line and ghosting through to run in unopposed. Bocchino failed to land an ambitious long penalty and the Dragons, who had won the away leg of this fixture 33 - 3, found themselves leading 33 - 6 at the break.

If the home fans were expecting their team to press home their advantage in the second half, they would have been shocked to see the visitors make the brighter start. From halfway, replacement prop Gerlando Marino showed great pace to break down the right touchline. The ball went through the hands and Bocchino put in a beatiful grubber kick that he regathered. The Dragons managed to get the ball clear, but centre Clemens von Grumblow beat two defenders in running the ball back and put wing Niccolo Tempestini over on the right.

The Dragons reacted well to the try, and full back Martyn Thomas came more and more into the game. He was unfortunate not to score a try, stepping inside one defender and outstripping another four for pace only to lose the ball in the tackle metres from the line. But the visitors were now playing some good rugby of their own, Bocchino dummying and putting von Grumblow clear only for his pass to be deemed forward by referee Andrew McMenemy. It was not just in attack that Cavalieri had improved; Tuilagi was seeing just as much ball as he had in the first half, but the Italians had now learnt not to go too high in the tackle. In the scrums, Cavalieri were getting on top.

The Dragons had gone almost 30 minutes without adding to their half-time score when Huw Gustafson found himself clean through from a Jason Tovey pass, but either the replacement prop failed to see the two supporting runners or he chose to ignore them. But the groans of frustration from the crowd became a roar of near-relief when Aled Brew, finding himself at scrum half, put in a kick and Martyn Thomas dropped on to the ball for a deserved try, the score 38 - 11 after Tovey's conversion.

If the result of the match remained in any doubt, that doubt was removed when Cavalieri made a hash of a scissors move in the Dragons' half and replacement centre Lewis Robling gathered the bobbling ball. Robling handed off Berryman and beat the last covering defender to cross in the left-hand corner.

The last word, however, went to the visitors, who ended a much-improved second-half display with their second try. Replacement Pino Patelli kicked through, there was no one at home for the Dragons and lively replacement wing Billy Ngawini dotted down, making the final score Newport Gwent Dragons 45, Cavalieri Prato 16.

So the Dragons' European campaign, which had seen them top their pool after a good win over Perpignan, ended with a victory that showed both sides of their character this season: a willingness to run the ball, often with the skill to match their ambition; but also lapses in concentration which have seen them lose more games than they have won. Nevertheless, a seven-try bonus-point win is no mean achievement in European competition and it could be just the fillip they need as they seek to climb the Pro 12 table.

------------------------

Newport-Gwent Dragons:
M Thomas, Harries, Hughes, Tuilagi, Brew; Tovey, Bedford; Price, Buckley, Way, A Jones, Sidoli, Lydiate, L Evans, Faletau.
Replacements: Parry for Lydiate (16), Gustafson for A Jones (40), J Evans for Bedford (58), Robling for Brew (66), S Jones for Buckley (66), Buck for Way (66).

Cavalieri Prato:
Berryman (sinbinned 26-36), Lunardi, Von Grumbkow, Chiesa, Tempestini; Bocchino, Di Vignale; De Gregori, Lupetti, Ryan, Kolo'ofai, Cazzola, Petillo, Damiani, Nifo-Tautua.
Replacements: Patelli for Di Vignale (40),Bernini for Lupetti (40), Giovachelli for Cazzola (40), Ngwaini for Lunardi (45), Marino for De Gregori (55), Belardo for Tempestini (58), Vezzosi for Damiani (58)

Last edited by luckless_pedestrian on Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:57 am; edited 17 times in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Dragons end European Campaign with Seven-Try Win Empty Re: Dragons end European Campaign with Seven-Try Win

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:33 pm

I know it's too long - but it's late. I'll trim it down tomorrow!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Dragons end European Campaign with Seven-Try Win Empty Re: Dragons end European Campaign with Seven-Try Win

Post by dogtooth Tue 24 Jan 2012, 9:32 am

luckless, i'll have a read of your report this morning sometime.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 Jan 2012, 9:38 am

No rush, Dogtooth!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 24 Jan 2012, 9:48 am

One quick thing that I would like to see is the match details at the top (ie score, venue and attendance).

Teams at bottom if we have them OK

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:01 am

Done.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:06 am

Good. It's not too long. I don't think it drifts at all. It just took too long for you to bash it out! raspberry

Hug
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:24 am

Well the best things come to those who wait!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:07 am

its good.

i havent spotted any spelling or grammer errors.

i think the first paragraph is two

With neither Newport Gwent Dragons nor RC I Cavalieri Prato capable of progressing to the quarter finals of the Amlin Challenge Cup, it was perhaps surprising to see the Hazell Stand and Terrace of Rodney Parade so well-populated for Saturday's final Pool Four match; but a once-traditional kick off time of three o'clock is certain to have swelled an attendance figure of 4,736.

The teams' positions in their respective domestic leagues could scarcely have been more contrasting - Cavalieri sitting atop Italy's Eccellenza, the Dragons keeping company with Connacht and Aironi at the wrong end of the RaboDirect Pro 12 - but both came to the match eager to end their European adventure with a morale-boosting victory.

dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:20 am

Does anyone else agree? I'm happy to change it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:37 am

Not really. If you are going to fiddle with that paragraph I would suggest:

"With neither Newport Gwent Dragons nor RC I Cavalieri Prato capable of progressing to the quarter finals of the Amlin Challenge Cup, it was perhaps surprising to see the Hazell Stand and Terrace of Rodney Parade so well-populated for Saturday's final Pool Four match. A previously traditional kick off time of three o'clock is certain to have swelled the attendance figure to 4,736. The teams' positions in their respective domestic leagues could scarcely have been more contrasting. Cavalieri sit atop Italy's Eccellenza, whilst the Dragons keep company with Connacht and Aironi at the wrong end of the RaboDirect Pro 12. Both however came to the match eager to end their European adventure with a morale-boosting victory."

However I appreciate that shortening sentences is a matter of personal style, it does make things easier to read; this is just nitpicking on my part and I appreciate everybody is different, therefore I won't be offended if you don't amend it.

Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:39 am

See, I do like my semicolons, Glas... Smile

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:46 am

Oh yes, every decent report needs one; it is arguable however whether it should be right at the start.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:47 am

The last word, however, went to the visitors; they ended a much-improved second-half display with their second try. Replacement Pino Patelli kicked through, there was no one at home for the Dragons and lively replacement wing Billy Ngawini dotted down, making the final score Newport Gwent Dragons 45, Cavalieri Prato 16

Why not put it in there?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:50 am

Okay, I've changed the opening paragraph a bit.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:54 am

Nice one.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:56 am

Cut and past now into completed articles and then on to the club rugby section; then a put the link to the article in the club rugby section at the foot of the report in the completed article section.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 Jan 2012, 12:29 pm

All done.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down