The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saracens decide NOT to play in Cape Town

4 posters

Go down

Saracens decide NOT to play in Cape Town Empty Saracens decide NOT to play in Cape Town

Post by LondonTiger Thu 17 Nov 2011, 5:10 pm

http://www.saracens.com/news/view.php?Id=6644

In many ways this is the right decision. Playing such a high profile match in London will help Sarries as they look to build a local following and re-instates home advantage which may be important when it comes to qualifying for the 1.4 finals.

Sadly the reason behind not playing seems to be to avoid being in the middle of a fight between Cape Town & Western Province rather than a desire to hold teh game in London. This lends yet more support to those who claim Sarries do not care about English Rugby (ps I do not believe this to be true - but press statements like this one do not help Sarries cause) as it makes it look as though they are most concerned with SA feelings.

EDITED - To clarify my point - new/amended text in bold.

Last edited by LondonTiger on Thu 17 Nov 2011, 5:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Saracens decide NOT to play in Cape Town Empty Re: Saracens decide NOT to play in Cape Town

Post by beshocked Thu 17 Nov 2011, 5:18 pm

Why will Portnoy have a field day? He says something and I will tear his out dated, over the top point of view to pieces.

Err the bit about avoiding upsetting Western Province is just silly. It's not true.

Western Province are the ones to blame for this mess.

Why would taking the game from South Africa show how little Saracens care about English rugby?

Saracens just don't want to get involved in the squabbling of Capetown City and Western Province. Can you blame them not wanting to be part of a South African bun fight?

Saracens are actually putting their foot down by gifting it to neither. Capetown City and Western Province only have themselves to blame.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Saracens decide NOT to play in Cape Town Empty Re: Saracens decide NOT to play in Cape Town

Post by Portnoy Thu 17 Nov 2011, 5:47 pm

I might just congratulate the Sarries on coming to their senses.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when the decision was made.

The sceptic in me tells me that the market research guys said 'nobody's interested'...

Last edited by Portnoy on Thu 17 Nov 2011, 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu 17 Nov 2011, 6:14 pm

Sarries quote is

"Now that all discussions between various stakeholders have been concluded, Saracens has decided the Heineken Cup match against Biarritz on Saturday January 14th will be played not in Cape Town, but in London.

The innovative English champion club was eager to host the first Heineken Cup match ever played outside Europe, to stage a special, spectacular rugby event and to project brilliant images of Cape Town and European rugby around the world. However, we have no wish to be a catalyst for conflict between the City of Cape Town and the Western Province Rugby Union.

Saracens looks forward to playing a competitive match in Cape Town as soon as local circumstances allow.

Supporters who have bought tickets in South Africa will be fully refunded by Computicket, and Saracens will engage with UK-based supporters who have already booked air tickets and accommodation, and ensure they are appropriately compensated. "

No mention of any conflict between European club/sides re their original plans.

It's all about SA rugby in this case Cape Town and Western Province.

Bugger England then.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:16 am

Aww bless Portnoy. He loves a little rant to go with his cup of hot cocoa.

Why would their be any conflict with European club/sides? Biarritz agreed. The ERC agreed.

If neither of them were happy in the first place the game wouldn't have got this far.

The only governing body causing problems is West Province rugby union.

Do you actually understand any of the Capetown saga? I doubt it.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:45 am

beshocked wrote:Aww bless Portnoy. He loves a little rant to go with his cup of hot cocoa.

Why would their be any conflict with European club/sides? Biarritz agreed. The ERC agreed.

If neither of them were happy in the first place the game wouldn't have got this far.

You would be right beshocked.

However I must point out that I (as you know) have a number of concerns regarding the trend towards the 'footballiastion' of rugby.

You can portray me as mad or sane - that's up to you. But I will remain consistent in my views.

Sometimes this leopard does change its spots (or tiger its stripes (?)) - like the value of playoffs in franchise leagues like the Rabo.

But just because I hold consistent (and as I see it, valid) holistic views which may buck the trend in English rugby development, you find it necessary to resort to sarcasm.

p.s. I am not a Tigers fan at all costs (witness my enthusiasm for the Saints over the past twelve months and more). And I think that I have never posted a comment which is inconsistent with what I've previously expressed. I get Broken Record smileys all the time. Why? Because I'm consistent.

Plus I have never sought popularity. Maybe I'm the Denis Skinner of 606v2...
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:18 am

Who is Dennis Skinner?

Look you might think that I believe Saracens are perfect and amazing. No they are not. They make mistakes. They are human.

I just look at the positives and negatives.

Was it Saracen's fault that WPRU were too greedy for their own good? No

The IRB,the ERC and Biarritz were not against this match so I am not sure you have a leg to stand on.

I want to see rugby become more popular and mainstream but keep rugby's core values.

If you unmoving in your opinions then how do you get along with people?

When I am wrong I do occasionally admit it. Not all the time admittedly but I am human just as you are.

I understand Saracens a lot better. I can see what they are trying to do. Is it always right? Of course not. E.g. I think the Saracens song is rubbish. I don't like the Camel mascot etc.

I do like other aspects though and I like how Saracens are willing to push the boundaries.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by andyi Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:21 am

Portnoy wrote:
beshocked wrote:Aww bless Portnoy. He loves a little rant to go with his cup of hot cocoa.

You would be right beshocked.

However I must point out that I (as you know) have a number of concerns regarding the trend towards the 'footballiastion' of rugby.

You can portray me as mad or sane - that's up to you. But I will remain consistent in my views.

Sometimes this leopard does change its spots (or tiger its stripes (?)) - like the value of playoffs in franchise leagues like the Rabo.

But just because I hold consistent (and as I see it, valid) holistic views which may buck the trend in English rugby development, you find it necessary to resort to sarcasm.

p.s. I am not a Tigers fan at all costs (witness my enthusiasm for the Saints over the past twelve months and more). And I think that I have never posted a comment which is inconsistent with what I've previously expressed. I get Broken Record smileys all the time. Why? Because I'm consistent.

Plus I have never sought popularity. Maybe I'm the Denis Skinner of 606v2...

The idea of a 39th EPL game abroad was treated with the derision it deserved by all football supporters and by the governing bodies.
It was Scudamore's vanity project and he's quietly dropped it to avoid further disappointment.

As for the idea that a football club would try to move a competitive fixture to the other side of the globe, it's ludicrous. They wouldn't dare p*ss off their season ticket holders.
Saracens on the other hand have such a small core support they really don't seem to care!

andyi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down