The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby in Cape Town - Easter 2015

3 posters

Go down

Rugby in Cape Town - Easter 2015  Empty Rugby in Cape Town - Easter 2015

Post by propdavid_london Wed 20 Aug 2014, 4:34 pm

I'm planning a trip with the Mrs in Easter next year and we are thinking about heading for Cape Town, among other destinations.
The Mrs expressed an interest in watching a bit of rugby while we are out there, so naturally I jumped on the offer.

Does anyone know the general season dates in SA - are we likely to catch any Super Rugby matches or Curry Cup games? (I'm thinking of late March early April).
I know the super season has just finished so there arent any fixtures up yet on websites - just wondered if anyone could recommend the ideal time to aim for to maximise the chance of getting a game!
Cheers

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Rugby in Cape Town - Easter 2015  Empty Re: Rugby in Cape Town - Easter 2015

Post by SirBurger Wed 20 Aug 2014, 4:41 pm

Super Rugby normally starts February (middle if I recall). Currie Cup not until much later. Obviously depends on when the Stormers have their home leg fixtures and when they go on tour which is difficult to tell this early. If worst comes to worst there are some very good smaller clubs in the area which will put on a good show with a great atmosphere. Hamiltons Rugby Club is the oldest club in SA (I believe) and there was a great atmosphere when I went to watch them and the standard was decent as well.

Great city anyway - enjoy yourself.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed 20 Aug 2014, 4:55 pm

Cheers SirBurger. Yeah, there is a lot of chance for the larger games - cant really wait till fixtures are released as want to book flights early to get better prices.
Good shout on the local rugby - good backup.
Not been to SA before - heard a lot of stuff about security etc. Is it safe going to games or is it better to try booking packages/hospitality etc.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Wed 20 Aug 2014, 11:07 pm

I didn't attend any Rugby matches apart from the Hamiltons game above which was a great. Despite being on a Rugby tour we annoyingly ended up going to 2 football matches - I didn't enjoy the atmosphere at these and felt rather unsafe to be honest. I don't think hospitality would be needed for a Super game or Currie Cup.

Otherwise, Cape Town is very safe if you stay near the harbour. We had some trouble with gangs turning up to our training sessions and stealing our kit, as well as a few beggars but generally nothing worse than that.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Thu 21 Aug 2014, 12:04 am

Loved Capetown, spent about 3 weeks there a few years ago, before heading to Stellenbosch, then up to Addo elephant park (If you fancy the drive I say do it).

Never had any safety concerns whatsoever, the closest to it was the street sellers selling cheap wooden safari junk, but they were very friendly and fun!

With regards to safety, do not listen to warnings on the internet, I was so paranoid getting off the plane, that lasted about 45 minutes! I was even pretty niaive and got lost going from my hotel at camps bay to Rondabosch, ended up in Nyanga, and gave 2 lads who were going my way a lift for directions. They were lovely, chatted, and explained I was probably lucky I was so big, and brash to the lads I asked for directions before them. When I got to Rondabosch I was met with absolute terror, and asked 100 security questions, did i tell them where I was going, staying etc...

Caught a few local games, including a pro game and a soccer game, have to say I loved them all, including the soccer! made friends everywhere we went.

Only issue I had was when with the missus at a wedding in Stellenbosch, a few guests had started being rude to the staff, partly because I was getting special treatment due to spending a fair bit of time and money at the bar, laughed and joked with staff etc.. Being rude to a name being called, not sure what it was but things got a bit heated, and one of the female staff left in tears. Nights end saw a small group hanging around the carpark pretty agressively, stupidly I went over and chatted with them and again things got a bit heated, luckily female member of staff from earlier on was around to calm things down. That was literally the only bit of tension I saw, 3-6 minutes worth.

If you havn't been you will love!

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Thu 21 Aug 2014, 2:52 pm

Just to add - I didn't mean to create a negative impression in my above post. When I said 'gang' I meant a crowd of people. Not particularly threatening, more of a nuisance. I loved my trip to South Africa...the problems I outlined are very minor. I was also younger and hadn't been travelling abroad much before so I think my experiences would be different if I went now. Don't want to put you off - beautiful city and country!

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 21 Aug 2014, 3:26 pm

Cheers guys - not put off in the slightest and am looking forward to going there.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Thu 21 Aug 2014, 5:13 pm

Final comment - if you do go to CT try and add a safari trip onto the end of your stay. A few nights in a lodge on a reserve is an amazing way to end any trip if you are even remotely interested in nature.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Thu 21 Aug 2014, 5:21 pm

SirBurger wrote:Final comment - if you do go to CT try and add a safari trip onto the end of your stay. A few nights in a lodge on a reserve is an amazing way to end any trip if you are even remotely interested in nature.

+1

Even if your not!

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 22 Aug 2014, 3:07 pm

I guess tha twould be Kruger National Park if Cape town wouldnt it? We are basically planning a honeymoon - so want to include as much as possible.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down