The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 easy obvious permanent Wales squad changes

+10
gavstar
Draigoch
Seagultaf
dragon999
Luckless Pedestrian
red_stag
wales606
maestegmafia
Shifty
westernosprey
14 posters

Go down

2 easy obvious permanent Wales squad changes Empty 2 easy obvious permanent Wales squad changes

Post by westernosprey Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 21:09

Think youth, think future. It's worked so far.

OUT:

S JONES
HOOK

IN:

BIGGAR
TOVEY

westernosprey

Back to top Go down

2 easy obvious permanent Wales squad changes Empty Re: 2 easy obvious permanent Wales squad changes

Post by Shifty Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 21:27

Priestland is the first choice 10, Hook is used at center and full back.

Gatland has said he will not pick players in the next 6 nations squad who will not make the next world cup so Stephen Jones career is over.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

2 easy obvious permanent Wales squad changes Empty Re: 2 easy obvious permanent Wales squad changes

Post by maestegmafia Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 21:43

Hook played very well tonight for Perpignan

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 21:49

Hook is doing well at Perpignan at the moment

For the 6Ns,

1st choice - Priestland
2nd choice - Hook
3rd choice - Tovey

(unless Nicky Robinson gets a look in)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 21:58

There should never be "permanant" changes made to an international team.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 22:17

wales606 wrote:Hook is doing well at Perpignan at the moment

For the 6Ns,

1st choice - Priestland
2nd choice - Hook
3rd choice - Tovey

(unless Nicky Robinson gets a look in)

Nicky Who...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 18 Nov 2011 - 10:17

maestegmafia wrote:Hook played very well tonight for Perpignan

I was there and he did not play very well.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Fri 18 Nov 2011 - 10:37

maestegmafia wrote:Hook played very well tonight for Perpignan

Not quite sure what game you watched maesteg - i thought James Hook like his team, played poorly considering their reputations

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 19 Nov 2011 - 10:16

Hook would not get into the Dragons side at the moment, so forget about playing for Wales.

He was poor on Thursday night, when he breaks he never knows when to pass and ends up in blind alleys. When at 10, he was constantly out of position, his scrum half had a nightmare trying to find him. He was pushed out to centre, with an experienced 10 coming on and at last Perpingnan began to look like a team.

Jones is clearly also off form at present, not sure if he has recovered fully from his calf injury. Even off form he is a far better 10 than Hook. Tovey is playing well (but still misses too many easy kicks) and Biggar is kicking well but looks a bit one paced even at club level.

Gatlands comment about only picking players who will be around for the next World Cup made me laugh, because in his next breath he said Shane was playing and it would be his last game. Mind games or what?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 19 Nov 2011 - 11:15

Seagultaf wrote:

Gatlands comment about only picking players who will be around for the next World Cup made me laugh, because in his next breath he said Shane was playing and it would be his last game. Mind games or what?

He said in the new year.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 19 Nov 2011 - 11:21

Seagultaf wrote:

Can you explain the mind games. The two things seem not to be linked to me.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sat 19 Nov 2011 - 11:23

Watching the Dragons game on Thurs and I thought Tovey was brilliant - not a maverick but a great executioner of the game plan, very much like the way Priestland plays. In addition to that he has a superb out-of-hand kicking game. Be keen to get him into the squad to have a look.

Biggar has been playing well as well to be honest. It bodes well to have Tovey/Priestland/Biggar competing for the shirt for the next few years as Hook as a wild card.

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sat 19 Nov 2011 - 11:24

maestegmafia wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:

Can you explain the mind games. The two things seem not to be linked to me.

For the 6N

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Sat 19 Nov 2011 - 17:19

Hook was way off form in the game. the replacement 10 was a class above. some posters said hook played well, lets say he played !! mostly out of position, not within sight of any cohesion and direction that perp were crying out for.

looked like he didnt know where he was tbh. hanging off a few rucks, contribution nil. very disappointing, thought he was going to show his doubters he's the man at 10, not today .

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 19 Nov 2011 - 18:15

Yes I was one of the posters who thought Hook played reasonably "well" as I thought he attemped to be a team player not an individual talent almost "conservatively" ............ but I have to say I kinda said that as I thought if I really was analytical about him, then I would be accused of character assassination again.

I had another look at the match this evening and I have to agree with luckless, dragon999, seagultaf etc. Hooky had some very talented players around him, he cannot bring a backline into play and he certainly cannot link the forward and back play, his positioning at halfback is one of the poorest I have seen, although I have to say he defended much better. its quite true when he was replaced his team was transformed

Hook is a genuine fellow but I think if he plays in a structured way at 10 he is well down the pecking order, and if he plays his flairy way, he is a potential loose cannon

Priestland, Biggar, Tovey, Robinson, Wellies, Matthew Morgan, Newton are all playing better

There I said it .................... Run Help mummy!!

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 19 Nov 2011 - 19:55

Gethin Jenkins and Mathew Rees are 31, Adam Jones is 30. They will be 34 or 35 at the next World cup, certainly with Gethin's and Adam's injury record they are extremely unlikely to be around for the next World cup. So will Gatland drop them to find the next young front row for 2015? Of course not, as I said its mind games! He will only drop the aging stars when there are better young replacements available.

Saying that Ryan Giggs is 38 next week! A year older than Stephen Jones will be at the next World Cup!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Sat 19 Nov 2011 - 20:32

fhf , I always re -watch a game i've recorded ( running on the stagnant bits!) sad person that i am, and unfortunately for hook the camera followed him around in this game. the player at 9 looked so frustrated trying to find hook in a decent position.
going to the title of this thread, yes jones and hook could well be out. jones because he wont be around for the long haul and hook ,well his contract doesnt allow him any freedom for international training, and I think the perps will quickly try to play him as utility to get their moneys worth, not good for hook or international selection.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 20 Nov 2011 - 3:31

Seagultaf wrote:Gethin Jenkins and Mathew Rees are 31, Adam Jones is 30. They will be 34 or 35 at the next World cup, certainly with Gethin's and Adam's injury record they are extremely unlikely to be around for the next World cup. So will Gatland drop them to find the next young front row for 2015? Of course not, as I said its mind games! He will only drop the aging stars when there are better young replacements available.

Saying that Ryan Giggs is 38 next week! A year older than Stephen Jones will be at the next World Cup!

Gethin and Adam could easily be around for the next WC - 34 is young for a prop. There injury record means they are likely to last longer in the game, not shorter.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 20 Nov 2011 - 5:54

wales606 wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:Gethin Jenkins and Mathew Rees are 31, Adam Jones is 30. They will be 34 or 35 at the next World cup, certainly with Gethin's and Adam's injury record they are extremely unlikely to be around for the next World cup. So will Gatland drop them to find the next young front row for 2015? Of course not, as I said its mind games! He will only drop the aging stars when there are better young replacements available.

Gethin and Adam could easily be around for the next WC - 34 is young for a prop. There injury record means they are likely to last longer in the game, not shorter.

Surely Gethin's strength is his mobility around the park that won't be there in 4 years time & your view on their injuries is dependent very much on the type of injuries sustained & generally the older you get the harder it is to come back

Last edited by BigTrevsbigmac on Sun 20 Nov 2011 - 5:55; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 20 Nov 2011 - 8:39

Of course Gethin could still be playing by the next World Cup, so could Adam, Smiler and even Wellies. Probably though, given their age and the physical demands of the game, they will not. Given that fact, does Gatland follow up with statement that he will not pick them from now on?..................As I said mind games!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 20 Nov 2011 - 11:51

Agree.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Sun 20 Nov 2011 - 17:44

"Of course Gethin could still be playing by the next World Cup, so could Adam, Smiler and even Wellies. Probably though, given their age and the physical demands of the game, they will not." -- Adam and Gethin will be 34/35 at next WC. The Argentinian props and other props at WCs have been that age and older. Gething is a tremednous athlete and, barrinbg injury, should mae it. And they are both reported as wanting to be in the next WC.

There is a dire shortage of quality tightheads in Wales and generally. Adam has to be kept on for that reason alone.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down