The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales Squad - Any shocks expected UPDATED SQUAD ATTACHED

+18
offload
thebluesmancometh
glamorganalun
LondonTiger
Smirnoffpriest
Seagultaf
irnbrew
mikey_philVIII
Comfort
beshocked
ScarletSpiderman
Biltong
maestegmafia
Luckless Pedestrian
munkian
samuraidragon
wales606
bedfordwelsh
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Wales Squad - Any shocks expected UPDATED SQUAD ATTACHED Empty Wales Squad - Any shocks expected UPDATED SQUAD ATTACHED

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 8:10

So Howley names is 28 (I imagine) man squad today for the AIs, are we expecting any shock inclusions/exclusions.

I think the main squad generally picks itself so I guess its what back up players Howley goes for.

I hope am wrong but I have a sneaky feeling that Biggar will still be overlooked, whilst I hope the likes of Prydie and young Samson Lee are at least involved i the squad.

Last edited by bedfordwelsh on Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 11:24; edited 1 time in total
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Wales Squad - Any shocks expected UPDATED SQUAD ATTACHED Empty Re: Wales Squad - Any shocks expected UPDATED SQUAD ATTACHED

Post by Guest Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 9:40

Eli Walker may be in with a shout, developing nicely at the Ospreys

Back to top Go down

Wales Squad - Any shocks expected UPDATED SQUAD ATTACHED Empty Re: Wales Squad - Any shocks expected UPDATED SQUAD ATTACHED

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 10:43

Good call Mike though with the likes of North, Cuthbert, Halfpenny, Harries, Robinson, Prydie and possibly Brew in the mix it maybe a season to early, though bringing him in for the experience won't be no bad thing.

With our total lack of options at T/Head I think Samson Lee could well be in the squad
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 11:10

No real surprises. Scott Andrews returns, he has only played a couple of times this season, but his scrummaging has improved by the looks of it.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 11:12

That would be ashock for me 606, I think he is dire and would rather see Lee given a nod if Andrews was the alternative.

As for his scrummaging having improved could it have gotten any worse
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 11:26

Here is the AI Squad

Leigh HALFPENNY, Liam WILLIAMS, Alex CUTHBERT, George NORTH, Harry ROBINSON

Ashley BECK, Jonathan DAVIES, Jamie ROBERTS, Scott WILLIAMS

Dan BIGGAR, James HOOK, Rhys PRIESTLAND

Tavis KNOYLE, Mike PHILLIPS, Lloyd WILLIAMS

Scott ANDREWS, Ryan BEVINGTON, Paul JAMES, Aaron JARVIS, Gethin JENKINS, Adam JONES

Richard HIBBARD, Ken OWENS, Matthew REES

Bradley DAVIES, Luke CHARTERIS, Ian EVANS, Alun Wyn JONES

Toby FALETAU, Ryan JONES, Rob McCUSKER, Aaron SHINGLER, Justin TIPURIC, Josh TURNBULL, Sam WARBURTON (CAPTAIN)

No real surprises, I did think Samson Lee might have got a call up
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 11:29

From that squad for the two big games I would go with

Halfpenny

North
Davies
Roberts
Cuthbert

Biggar
Phillips

James (will be Jenkins)
Owens
A Jones
Charteris (will be AWJ)
Evans
Shingler (will be R Jones)
Faletau
Warburton
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 11:30

No Lee Byrne? He's been in great form in France - unlike Mike Phillips.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 11:33

Samurai,

He seems to have dropped out of the reckoning altogether also just realised no Prydie, I did think he would have got the nod as at least he is getting regular gametime unlike Robinson.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 11:36

How the hell is Lloyd Williams still in contention ??
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 11:37

I'm glad Prydie isn't going , one of a handful of players that are keeping me watching the Dragons
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 11:39

And no Navidi ? The f*ck ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 11:39

No huge surprises, bit surprised to see McCusker in there to be honest, I don't rate him that highly as a potential international player.

Would have taken Navidi / Lewis Evans instead.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 11:45

IronMike wrote:No huge surprises, bit surprised to see McCusker in there to be honest, I don't rate him that highly as a potential international player.

Would have taken Navidi / Lewis Evans instead.

Exactly, given Samson Lee a go too
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 11:45

With Warburton and Tipuric included it would have been a surprise to have 3 out n out 7s with Navidi
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 11:49

Why has he kept Warburton as captain when he's a) injured half the time and unlikely to last a four-Test schedule, and b) the second-best openside in Wales?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 11:53

LP,

I doubt if anyone will start all four tests so am guessing he/Gatland still sees Warburton as their main man and will start him against the Blacks and Australia.

That said if Tips plays the first two and has storming games then would be hard to drop him.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 11:56

The only calls I might have made differently would have been Byrne for Robinson and maybe Evans for McCusker.

The squad represents the best of players available so I am happy. Not a bad squad by any stretch of the imagination but they have a lot of work to do.

There are a good number who are unfit, similarly a number not in inspiring form this season.

Great to see Aaron Jarvis get the call, he's worked very hard on his game and is becoming a decent apprentice to Jones. Likewise Scott Andrews game is improving. Both will need game time at some point.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 11:58

maes,

I would have taken Prydie over Robinson
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 12:01

bedfordwelsh wrote:maes,

I would have taken Prydie over Robinson

Prydie is in sparkling form isn't he.

He is great cover for Halfpenny.Certainly a little surprised to see robinson ahead of him, as I don't think Robinson has been as good this season.

That said Prydie will be very valuable to the Dragons during the AIs and more game time will help Prydie. I am sure he will be included before long. Its just great to see a talented lad like Prydie get the game time and more importantly the responsibility that he does at the dragons.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 12:04

Experience and character I guess. Adam Hughes ahead of Beck too
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 12:10

maestegmafia wrote:Certainly a little surprised to see robinson ahead of him, as I don't think Robinson has been as good this season.

It doesn't matter. He was in the last squad, that's all Howley's bothered about judging from his selection.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 12:11

munkian wrote:Experience and character I guess. Adam Hughes ahead of Beck too

I disagree on Adam Hughes, I am a huge fan of his, he has all the talent but he hasn't played enough this season and is not, for some very bizarre reason, a first choice player at his region. He should be one of the first names Edwards pens in his teams sheet next to the number 13.

If JD2 is out Hughes should be in.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 12:13

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Certainly a little surprised to see robinson ahead of him, as I don't think Robinson has been as good this season.

It doesn't matter. He was in the last squad, that's all Howley's bothered about judging from his selection.

LP,

Who else do you reckon shouldn't be in ther from pervious squads other than Warburton I am guessing, oh and Andrews shouldn't be in any squad
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 12:16

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:

I dont agree with your sentiments there LP. This squad is a pretty accurate reflection of the Welsh rugby at the moment. We are quibbling over who is included as a fourth choice winger. Robinson has been with the squad, and they may see more potential in him now, or maybe they will rotate the fourth winger or centre or youngest props throughout the International windows this season to build a larger squad.

But hinting that it is a poor call because 'that's all Howley's bothered about judging from his selection' is hardly an accurate accusatory synopsis mate.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 12:21

Maybe not, but I bet he'd stick with incumbents rather than newcomers if they were playing so well that he had to make the call.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 12:23

Is Gatland still on crutches?

Will he not be involved in the autumn?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 12:25

I will agree there LP, I don't think Howley has the minerals to make the big calls if need, thats why I am guessing Warburton is captain and will play the main two tests.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 12:26

Biltong wrote:Is Gatland still on crutches?

Will he not be involved in the autumn?

He will be in charge for the NZ and Austarlia tests, apparently that was the deal WRU struck allowing him to take Lions job
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 12:28

Thanks.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 12:33

Not being disrespectful but I am not too sure what Rob McCusker or Josh Turnbull are doing in the squad. I rate them both as players, however neither of them have really shown too much form this season.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 12:38

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Maybe not, but I bet he'd stick with incumbents rather than newcomers if they were playing so well that he had to make the call.
Prydie isn't a new comer though is he. He was in the squad a few years ago, before his injury. He is now fit and fighting his way to recognition.

I think your making a harsh judgement on Howley over something that is pretty insignificant. If Howley had included someone who really shouldn't be there like Eli Walker, (who has just had two good performances but little else previously), or that Howley had retained Tom james in every squad since his first cap back in '07, then I would whole heartedly agree with your judgement on Howley.

And I am not saying that I agree with Howley's selection myself, as I said above I think Byrne should be in there.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 12:38

Quite surprised Wales didn't want Rhys Gill.

Well never mind. OK

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 12:46

beshocked wrote:Quite surprised Wales didn't want Rhys Gill.

Well never mind. OK

Decided to take six props. Gill is behind Jenkins and James.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 14:34; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 13:01

MM, he is for now, but with Geth having little gametime out in France so far, and Paul James now in the same situation as Gill over in the AP, I do wonder how long it will be before we start to see Gill start more tests.

I've been a fan of Gill since he was introduced into a squad about 2 seasons ago, he keeps on getting better and he does look very dynamically strong in the loose aswell as more than holding his side of the scrum.

Beshocked, what have you thought of gill this season? From what I've seen he seems to be coming along nicely.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 13:06

To clarify though, im happy for Jarvis and Andrews on the TH side, Jarvis has had a bit of a mixed bag so far this season, but hes doing the right things and he'll improve.

Andrews seems a bit less crap so far....

...would have preffered Samson Lee just for the experience if nothing else, but he has plenty of time and its probably a little too early for him.

Prydie probably deserved the spot over Robinson but like a few have mentioned thats th 4th wing/3rd FB spot, and I wouldnt worry about either being there, they both have a lot of potential with different attributes, they'll both be involved in a number of future squads without doubt.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 13:12

Comfort Gill has not been getting enough gametime to be considered by Wales at the moment personally but yes he's certainly developing nicely.

Had an injury at the beginning of the season that has allowed Vunipola to overshadow him but now he's back he'll be getting plenty of opportunities.

He was very good for us last season.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 13:19

Comfort wrote:To clarify though, im happy for Jarvis and Andrews on the TH side, Jarvis has had a bit of a mixed bag so far this season, but hes doing the right things and he'll improve.

Andrews seems a bit less crap so far....

...would have preffered Samson Lee just for the experience if nothing else, but he has plenty of time and its probably a little too early for him.

Prydie probably deserved the spot over Robinson but like a few have mentioned thats th 4th wing/3rd FB spot, and I wouldnt worry about either being there, they both have a lot of potential with different attributes, they'll both be involved in a number of future squads without doubt.

Aaron Jarvis has been very good for us at the Ospreys, he and Bevington have been doing great work, though I hear Bev's struggled to contain Dan Cole on Sunday. He'll learn in time.

I like Sampson Lee too, but this squad is about getting points in the IRB rankings, we can work to blood players at another time. The AIs should give Sampson some great time to do some damage in the LV=.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 13:21

Leigh HALFPENNY, Liam WILLIAMS, Alex CUTHBERT, George NORTH, Harry ROBINSON, Ashley BE
CK, Jonathan DAVIES, Jamie ROBERTS, Scott WILLIAMS, Dan BIGGAR, James HOOK, Rhys PRIESTLAND, Tavis KNOYLE, Mike PHILLIPS, Lloyd WILLIAMS, Scott ANDREWS, Ryan BEVINGTON, Paul JAMES, Aaron JARVIS, Gethin JENKINS, Adam JONES, Richard HIBBARD, Ken OWENS, Matthew REES, Bradley DAVIES, Luke CHARTERIS, Ian EVANS, Alun Wyn JONES, Toby FALETAU, Ryan JONES, Rob McCUSKER, Aaron SHINGLER, Justin TIPURIC, Josh TURNBULL, Sam WARBURTON (CAPTAIN)

Scott Andrews is needed by Cardiff RFC, he will get 80 minutes with them! Harry Robinson has been anonymous (no fault of his own) this season, what does Tom Prydie have to do? Mike Phillips is our starter at 9 but the back-up to him is not good enough to offer a change of pace to the game. In my opinion Gareth Davies, Martin Robers or Richie Rees should be the other 9's in the squad. These lot, along with Josh Turnbull and Rob McCusker are the wrong options. Ridiculous. If any of our first team get injured then we're in trouble. Worrying times.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 13:43

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Not being disrespectful but I am not too sure what Rob McCusker or Josh Turnbull are doing in the squad. I rate them both as players, however neither of them have really shown too much form this season.

SS,

A few seasons back the big debate was between McCusker and Lydiate as the two up and coming youngsters, its obvious that Lydiate has froged ahead during which time McCusker was injured for periods.

Maybe now the tables are turned so to speak McCusker might take his chance.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 13:46

bedfordwelsh wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Not being disrespectful but I am not too sure what Rob McCusker or Josh Turnbull are doing in the squad. I rate them both as players, however neither of them have really shown too much form this season.

SS,

A few seasons back the big debate was between McCusker and Lydiate as the two up and coming youngsters, its obvious that Lydiate has froged ahead during which time McCusker was injured for periods.

Maybe now the tables are turned so to speak McCusker might take his chance.

I agree with SS that McCusker and Turnbull are rarely showing the form they showed two seasons ago. Nalvidi and Evans are starting to look good options for the Scarlets boys places in the Welsh Squad.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 13:47

McCusker earnt his place on form back in 2010. His injuries caused him to take some time out from the game, he has yet to recapture that outstanding form but still somehow finds himself in the Wales squad. Turnbull is the more poor call though. Scarlets are not helping the international team by fielding 3/4 blind-sides in every game.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 13:55

bedfordwelsh wrote:From that squad for the two big games I would go with

Halfpenny

North
Davies
Roberts
Cuthbert

Biggar
Phillips

James (will be Jenkins)
Owens
A Jones
Charteris (will be AWJ)
Evans
Shingler (will be R Jones)
Faletau
Warburton

Owens isn't playing as well as Hibbard or Rees, I would go with this for the opening test.

Jenks
Hibbard
Adam
AWJ
Charteris
Ryan
Warbs
Toby
MP
Hook
Cuthbert
Roberts
JD2
North
1/2p

Loads of close calls there though. Its not a bad squad. glad to see they are off to Spala and will have a good pre-season session.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 14:26

Maes,

Jenkins isnt starting regulalry and sorry Hook has had more chances than anyone.

The French and English not going to Spala are they?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 14:29

If Rhys Webb isn't going to get selected for the O's, the Blues will happily take him as our SH gets into the international squad despite being cr*p

Navidi should be in ahead of Turnball/McCusker, he is the form 6 in Wales atm and is developing into a very good 6/7 player.

Who will play backup LHP against Oz? Gethin and James will be back at their clubs so Bevington will have to start but with 23 man benches (is that starting now?) who else will get spots?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 14:52

Wales 606 - I guess that will have to be Andrews and Jarvis on the bench (unless they bench Adam), as those are the only available props in the squad. Although most likely whoever is playing the best at loosehead in the regions during the LV= will get called up.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 16:03

Loosehead we have plenty of good options.

I think this autumn has to be about trying to win four games and nothing else. I wouldn't object to Duncan Jones starting a game should James, Gethin or Bev's be unavailable. He's playing well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by irnbrew Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 16:36

how do you say McCusker is young up and coming he is 26/27 and 2 years ago would have been 25 i don,t thinkhe is international class i have seen on the Scarlets fans forum that even they do not rate him at reginol level .I would not agree with that i do think he is a good reginal player as is Turnbull but not international class

irnbrew

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 17:35

I wonder if peripheral squad members will be released for LV = or regional duty over the weekends?

Players like Andrews, Robinson, Williams could all do with game time.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Oct 2012 - 17:48

Only Shock is no Byrne, beyond that the team pretty much picks itself.
Happy for Jarvis thou he deserves his call up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next