The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kell Brook To Face Big Name On Undercard of Froch - Ward

+11
manos de piedra
superflyweight
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Unbeatable Georgey Groves
Mind the windows Tino.
Michaels, Sean
Scottrf
The Galveston Giant
Steffan
Marky
AlexHuckerby
15 posters

Go down

Kell Brook To Face Big Name On Undercard of Froch - Ward Empty Kell Brook To Face Big Name On Undercard of Froch - Ward

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 18 Nov 2011, 4:25 am

Hearn is saying that Brook will make his debut against either Malignaggi*, Devon Alexander* or Mike Jones*, I'm thinking it will be the first one on that list as he is a decent name but should win, in truth I see him beating Devon Alexander also, however Mike Jones I'm not too sure about and would be a very risky fight for Brook as he is still somewhat of an unknown quantity, although would be a fantastic notch under his belt.

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2011/10/kell-brook-to-make-us-debut-on-froch-undercard/

What you make of these opponents, the chances of Mike Jones are very low by the way also.
These are the most likely fights apparently by the way.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Kell Brook To Face Big Name On Undercard of Froch - Ward Empty Re: Kell Brook To Face Big Name On Undercard of Froch - Ward

Post by Marky Fri 18 Nov 2011, 7:20 am

I can see Brook being found out soon.

Think Malingnaggi would be the best option though.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Kell Brook To Face Big Name On Undercard of Froch - Ward Empty Re: Kell Brook To Face Big Name On Undercard of Froch - Ward

Post by Steffan Fri 18 Nov 2011, 7:27 am

Brook is a good fighter. Yet to fight someone who hits back though. Will get found out I agree. Guess its all how he deals with it

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 18 Nov 2011, 8:36 am

I think Malingnaggi could maybe be the worst opponent for him, stylewise, good to see him eventually step it up though, he needs some experience around this level.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:29 am

Jones is a beast physically but not that hard to outbox.
Alexander I'm not sure if he's there when the going gets tough. Will pose problems with his speed though.
Malignaggi is the best boxer but they will be hoping Brook walks through him. Might be more dangerous than expected.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:58 am

I doubt any of those 3 will happen. Don't know much about Jones but the other 2 represent a huge step up in class.

How about Matthew Hatton?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:02 am

Scottrf wrote:Jones is a beast physically but not that hard to outbox.
Alexander I'm not sure if he's there when the going gets tough. Will pose problems with his speed though.
Malignaggi is the best boxer but they will be hoping Brook walks through him. Might be more dangerous than expected.

I agree with you on Jones and Alexander, but I don't think Malignaggi will be 'more dangerous' than expected, I think he will be every bit as they expect. He is fine with people walking to him in a straight line, but Brook won't do that. He will give him angles and movement, all safely in the knowledge that he can take some chances as Paulie can't break an egg. I would say Brook is as quick as Paulie and he punches much harder. Even Ricky Hatton made Paulie look silly in patches by giving him some movement and Ricky wasn't exactly Ray Leonard. Brook would take him out late or very comfortably outpoint him for me.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:42 am

Opponent has been named...not a big name

http://www.worldboxingnews.net/2011/11/kell-brook-ready-to-dazzle-america.html

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:53 am

Galarza is no better than Jackiewicz and N'Dou so we will learn nothing about Brook in this one.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:12 am

prettyboykev wrote:Galarza is no better than Jackiewicz and N'Dou so we will learn nothing about Brook in this one.

That is true but the American audience will

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:16 am

Unbeatable Georgey Groves wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Galarza is no better than Jackiewicz and N'Dou so we will learn nothing about Brook in this one.

Not sure how much exposure he will get. He will probably be three or four fights before Froch vs Ward and it's on Showtime which has a smaller audience than HBO. Having his next fight on ESPN wouldn't do Brook any harm they get very good ratings more than Brook will get on Showtime but at least it's a small step in the right direction. They need to do something because it's embarrassing hearing Brook talk about Khan, Khan is a class apart for Kell just now.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:24 am

prettyboykev wrote:
Unbeatable Georgey Groves wrote:

Not sure how much exposure he will get. He will probably be three or four fights before Froch vs Ward and it's on Showtime which has a smaller audience than HBO. Having his next fight on ESPN wouldn't do Brook any harm they get very good ratings more than Brook will get on Showtime but at least it's a small step in the right direction. They need to do something because it's embarrassing hearing Brook talk about Khan, Khan is a class apart for Kell just now.

Showtime does usually get lower ratings but with this being a huge fight its audience will be huge and Kell will probably be on live rather than highlights after the main event. Plus I doubt it will be four fights before? The undercard hasn't been announced yet but I can't see it being too strong!

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:27 am

Yordannis Despaigne and Edison Miranda both have fights on the under card I would imagine they will both be on before Kell and Bowie Tupou should be on before Kell.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:28 am

You normally watch FNF don't you Kev? What you think of Despaigne?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:36 am

I do mate. I like him he looked good until he fought Syllakh but Syllakh looks a real class act. I think Despaigne thinks he is a big puncher because he loads up to often for my liking and ditches his boxing. He is 31 but the Syllakh fight was only his 9th pro fight and was a massive risk which wouldn't have had a massive reward a big mistake from his promoter.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:02 pm

would agree with that kev the miranda win was a good performance and a good level for his tenth fight. though there were bits you saw of him acting like a tool like making way too much of the first low blow. also showed there might not be too much power though miranda has a pretty decent chin.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:30 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsO-XoLWKko

Good chin is an understatement!

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:33 pm

I have to confess that for various reasons I've not seen as much of Brook recently as I would like to.

What I've seen in the past looked promising but where is he in his development at the moment?

It occurs to me that he's operating in a division where there are a number of gatekeepers (Malignaggi and Clottey to name two) who might give us an indication of where he is. How far away do we think he is before he takes on these fights?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:36 pm

I think he's ready for a Malignaggi or Clottey now.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:37 pm

prettyboykev wrote:I think he's ready for a Malignaggi or Clottey now.

Absolutely. He would beat both with a bit to spare in my opinion.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:39 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:I think he's ready for a Malignaggi or Clottey now.

Absolutely. He would beat both with a bit to spare in my opinion.

I'm with you on that mate I can't see either troubling him that much. Malignaggi has took to standing and fighting a bit more now which makes that one even easier for Kell.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:49 pm

I would imagine that bneyond gatekeeper status, the welterweight division is a pretty tough place to chart a long term career path at the moment.

With Floyd and Manny still around there are two clear frontrunners who any up and coming fighter is going to have to steer clear of for a little while yet and with men such as Marquez and Khan operating in around the division there's a fair bit if uncertainty and for someone like Brook it may be as much about waiting for the dust to settle before making the step to elite level competition.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:52 pm

Was supposed to be in his next fight Superfly but he'll now not be facing a big name. Who knows, they're dragging there heels.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:57 pm

I don't think Malignaggi would be interested he is trying to get a fight with devon Alexander which is a real possibility now Alexander is with GBP. Matchroom will have trouble matching Kell. Who needs him? He's very talented but isn't a big draw so the money is poor.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 18 Nov 2011, 1:05 pm

All of those guys are WBA rated so his plan must be to try target Senchenkos belt in the near future

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 18 Nov 2011, 1:07 pm

Malignaggi's quite a big name. Ten letters.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 18 Nov 2011, 1:12 pm

classic line balti.

in all seriousness kell for me is a special talent but do feel he should be pushed that little bit harder. not his fault if the big names dont want him though i guess. once he finally takes out senchenko at long last he should be open to some big fights.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 18 Nov 2011, 1:19 pm

I just want him to get to World level so Khan can spark him out. Brook talks to much and has done nothing to back it up and when he does talk he comes across a bit thick.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 18 Nov 2011, 1:20 pm

from the sounds off it, kell is very close to getting a fight with a champion. This fight isn't hard at all but maybe they are thinking that there is no point risking a title shot if he losses against a tougher opponent. He should coast against this guy and stop him. He doesn't want to lose on his american debut.

I think he can beat all of the top guys at the weight bar mayweather. He is very good technically, he is big at the weight, can control the pace and has power and speed. I would have liked to see him vs malignaggi as he is a big name and is little risk. Jones is the hardest of the above opponents names as he has the height that will make it a nightmare for kell to control. Alexander is quick but hasn't performed vs top guys and kell would have to stop him so not to lose on a gift decision.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 18 Nov 2011, 1:26 pm

If he is kept away from Mayweather, Pacquiao and Khan he should be fine.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 18 Nov 2011, 1:46 pm

prettyboykev wrote:I just want him to get to World level so Khan can spark him out. Brook talks to much and has done nothing to back it up and when he does talk he comes across a bit thick.
Unlike Khan who comes across like the second coming of Oscar Wilde...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 18 Nov 2011, 1:52 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:I just want him to get to World level so Khan can spark him out. Brook talks to much and has done nothing to back it up and when he does talk he comes across a bit thick.

When he did the Mayweather fight for Primetime he came across very well. Khan has also backed up his big mouth something Brook has failed to do so far.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 18 Nov 2011, 1:56 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

When he did the Mayweather fight for Primetime he came across very well. Khan has also backed up his big mouth something Brook has failed to do so far.
True, but Khan's promoters seem to have been pretty instrumental in that.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:04 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

Brook doesn't deserve Khan. He needs to prove he is World class before Khan will fight him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:18 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

Brook doesn't deserve Khan. He needs to prove he is World class before Khan will fight him.
*koff* McCloskey *koff* Salita

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:23 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

*koff* McCloskey *koff* Salita

Salita was a mandatory and McCloskey was the best he could do. Peterson knocked it back. Who else was there?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:27 pm

I agree with Salita (although Ive still not figured out how he came to be mandatory.)

I think Prescott would have been a better shout than McCloskey, would have got some interest I think. Unless there was some reason that didnt happen (Prescott was busy or whatever, I dont remember that far back.)

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:30 pm

I don't think Prescott was even considered he's looked poor since beating Khan.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:33 pm

He has look bad, but a fight would still have generated interest given how badly Khan got pancaked first time out. Would have put that particular ghost to rest.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:34 pm

Brook should be trying to get in contention for Ortiz or Berto after their proposed rematch next year. As boxing moves so slowly, The winner might be lined up for Khan (we'd be talking late 2013 at the earliest), Brook should look for the loser.

Mind you, I think both Ortiz and Berto beat him handily for my money at the moment, Brook is a long way off steping up even to the 2nd tier of welter weight at the moment.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:36 pm

I don't buy into all that laying the ghost to rest nonsense. Prescotts power is overrated and he isn't a big puncher at 140lbs. Khan has proved the Prescott fight was a blip look at the Maidana fight he took big shots and stayed on his feet and finished the stronger.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:43 pm

Whether Khan is still chinny or not is a different argument. I meant that they could have sold it on the basis of laying that ghost to rest. A lot of casual fans would have tuned in I reckon.

Im not suggesting that it would be a decent matchup, Khan would have won definitively. But at least Prescott might have tried to hit Khan back (unlike McCloskey, who is Euro level and turned up to survive.)

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:47 pm

It would have sold I don't doubt that. I find it strange they never fought just on that basis.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down