The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606v2 Greatest Test Wicket-Keepers Rankings

+5
Mike Selig
Mad for Chelsea
guildfordbat
Stella
Fists of Fury
9 posters

Go down

606v2 Greatest Test Wicket-Keepers Rankings Empty 606v2 Greatest Test Wicket-Keepers Rankings

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:52 am

Morning fellas

Your votes on who you believe to be the ten greatest Test wicket-keepers of all time have been taken into account, and as a result the following official 606v2 cricket rankings have been compiled.

Thanks for voting, the 10 greatest Test middle order batsmen vote (i.e. between 3 and 6 in the order) will be the next one up in the series.

1. Adam Gilchrist
2. Alan Knott
3. Andy Flower
4. Ian Healy
5. Godfrey Evans
6. Mark Boucher
7. Rodney Marsh
8= Jeffrey Dujon
8= Mahendra Singh Dhoni
10. Alec Stewart

-----

Kumar Sangakkara was voted into 11th place, for the record.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

606v2 Greatest Test Wicket-Keepers Rankings Empty Re: 606v2 Greatest Test Wicket-Keepers Rankings

Post by Stella Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:12 am

I'm surprised Stewart crept in there.

Regarding the next series.

Will Bradman be considered as he played a few matches after the war?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

606v2 Greatest Test Wicket-Keepers Rankings Empty Re: 606v2 Greatest Test Wicket-Keepers Rankings

Post by Guest Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:17 am

very happy with that list Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:41 pm

Fists - thanks again for pulling another one altogether and confirming final placings.

Some very decent keepers indeed (eg, Syed Kirmani and Bob Taylor) have failed to make the cut. That means either we have chosen an incredibly strong top ten or mucked things up ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:53 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:
.... the 10 greatest Test middle order batsmen vote (i.e. between 3 and 6 in the order) will be the next one up in the series.

Fists - just noticed this.

Please be aware that the Corporal and many of his troops are still suffering shell shock Shocked from the many battles fought on the old 606 as to whether Bradman was better than Tendulkar .... Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:57 pm

well the top 7 all made my top ten, with Wasim Bari, Bob Taylor and Don Tallon also in there but missing out overall, although I'm not that surprised by the names included. Would have loved to see Knott at n°1, but that was never really going to happen, so happy that he's at least made n°2. This one was always going to be one of the more contentious categories (possibly the most contentious), so overall pretty pleased with the result.

Middle-order up next, it goes
1. Bradman

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE gap

the rest

Actually middle-order is going to be very tricky...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:34 pm

8 out of those made my top 10 and in not too dissimilar order, so seems ok overall. Slightly surprised and disappointed Stewart made it TBH, I think there are 5 or 10 better candidates.

Tallon suffered from the relatively young age of our forum.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 19 Nov 2011, 10:39 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:
.... the 10 greatest Test middle order batsmen vote (i.e. between 3 and 6 in the order) will be the next one up in the series.
Fists - just noticed this.
Please be aware that the Corporal and many of his troops are still suffering shell shock Shocked from the many battles fought on the old 606 as to whether Bradman was better than Tendulkar .... Very Happy

Guildford - thanks for looking out for my well being! Bradman vs Tendulkar = no contest ! Very Happy The thing I'm really allergic to = discussions lasting months on end - and conducted by nationalistic WUMs - on the subject of Tendulkar vs Ponting. censored

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Nov 2011, 4:39 pm

im glad Stewart got in there Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 25 Nov 2011, 12:35 am

cricketfan90 wrote:im glad Stewart got in there Smile

I'm not convinced Stewart would be in my list of top ten Surrey wicket keepers but I guess that's the joy of different opinions! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:13 pm

really? not even top 10 surrey keepers in your opinon?

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 04 Dec 2011, 7:07 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:really? not even top 10 surrey keepers in your opinon?

Mr CricketFan - I was probably too harsh that day but I genuinely never rated Stewart highly behind the stumps. To me, he was a much better batsman than keeper.

My top 5 Surrey keepers would be:

1. Arthur McIntyre. [This is based on reading and research. He was Surrey's keeper throughout the 1950s when we won the Championship almost every season. His stumpings got Alec Bedser many wickets during this period. Played 3 times for England and that would have been much more if he hadn't been competing for the keeper's place with Godfrey Evans.]
2. Jack Richards
3. Steve Davies
4. Arnold Long
5. Graham Kersey.

Stewart should get in at number 6.

The Corporal, in particular, may wish to rubbish my comments and/or add other names.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 04 Dec 2011, 9:03 pm

Guildford - the only other two names I could think of during my cricket watching times with Surrey were Chris from Stroud's hero (Batty) and Lonsdale Skinner. Where would you place them? I didn't actually really see all that much of Kersey or Jack Richards - as there have been a few gaps when the HumblePails were small - or least very active in requiring taxi driving!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 04 Dec 2011, 9:18 pm

Thanks, Corporal.

I almost put Jon Batty in at 5 or 6 but felt Graham Kersey's accomplishments, teamwork (by all accounts) and cruelly unfulfilled promise earned him the number 5 spot. At the time Stewart retired, Batty was a better keeper. However, judging them both at their peak, I would say Stewart just edged it.

I don't think I ever saw Lonsdale Skinner keep wicket. I know he did but recall him far more as a batsman.

PS Completely separate - but being of a similar vintage to myself, have you seen the Socrates football thread? Staggered there are only 2 replies (must be an age thing).

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 04 Dec 2011, 9:29 pm

Guildford - indeed. Socrates - a memorable name to go with a memorable player.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 11 Dec 2011, 9:44 pm

No quibbling with wickies.
Except I wonder if Godfrey Evans was really that good? He certainly has longevity, and owned a pub on the A3, both admirable attributes, but others of his era were arguably better 'keepers, Keith Andrew for one and McIntyre a contender. A little later John Murray was pretty darned good and would have played a lot more Tests if not for Jim Parks' bat.
Big temptation to rate old guys (like Evans) because they had longevity stats, young guys because we remember them.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by english warrior Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:04 pm

1) Gilchrist- Unstoppable and brilliant batsman and Glove man.

2) Alan Knott- Almost as good as the man above, but not quite, still brilliant.

3) Rodney Marsh- Titanic competitor, unstoppable batsman, great Aussie!

4) Faroukh Engineer- A cavalier and tough competitor who could really take apart attacks, with fearsome strength.

english warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:29 pm

im suprised dhoni got in for his keeping......

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 02 Feb 2012, 11:49 am

Dhoni? :facepalm:

The guy can hardly score a run outside Asia.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 02 Feb 2012, 11:53 am

It was for both keeping and batsmanship. Funny how opinions change in such a short space of time, I'm sure at least one of you two voted for him.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 02 Feb 2012, 11:55 am

Fists of Fury wrote:It was for both keeping and batsmanship. Funny how opinions change in such a short space of time, I'm sure at least one of you two voted for him.

I did but I am gobsmacked that he got in ahead of Prior.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down