The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heino team of round 2

+13
Standulstermen
Kingshu
formerly known as Sam
Rory_Gallagher
yappysnap
debaters1
Poorfour
R!skysports
rodders
beshocked
Mickado
red_stag
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
17 posters

Go down

Heino team of round 2 Empty Heino team of round 2

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:04 am

From planetrugby.co.uk: Round 2 team of the round

In case you can't access that link at work, here it is:

15 Mike Brown (Harlequins) - If you think of real club men then full-back Brown is one that immediately springs to mind. His man-of-the-match performance at Kingsholm saw him score an early try as Quins made it 12 straight wins this term. Mentions for Scarlet Liam Williams and Leinster's Rob Kearney.

14 Andrew Trimble (Ulster) - Now this was a tough call as both Martin Bustos Moyano and Tommy Bowe stood out for their respective sides while Isa Nacewa impressed in blue. But for his all-action showing at Welford Road we have gone for Trimble, who was tireless.

13 Eoin O'Malley (Leinster) - A cameo gong would undoubtedly go to Will Chambers for his 37 minute effort that had Castres clutching at fresh air on numerous occasions. Tommaso Benvenuti's stocks in Italy also continued to strengthen but for two tries, it is O'Malley.

12 Wesley Fofana (Clermont) - Our toughest decision. Why? Well there wasn't really anyone who significantly stood out. Gordon D'Arcy and Jordan Turner-Hall were solid while not scintillating so for his out-of-position showing, Fofana's smooth effort must be hailed.

11 Tim Visser (Edinburgh) - Time and time again Visser shows just what a good finisher he is and his two tries, the latter leading to Greig Laidlaw knocking over the winning two points, brought an end to an unbelievable game at Murrayfield. He edges Shane Williams.

10 Rhys Priestland (Scarlets) - It became a toss-up between a Beaver and a Dragon. Bath recouped some of the money they had spent on Stephen Donald as he created a couple of tries in his home debut. However, he just misses out to Priestland as on away soil the 10 directed traffic superbly for the Scarlets. He could soon be partnering the man below.

9 Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues) - Again we had more than one standout nominee for this one as Greig Laidlaw continued to put his name into Scotland's selection process with a good running and kicking display. The same will be said about Williams though, who is set for great things in a Welsh jersey. With Mike Phillips unavailable, he should face Australia.

8 Jamie Heaslip (Leinster) - The recent RWC saw Heaslip surprisingly in the shadows of Sean O'Brien and Stephen Ferris, however he was the star of the show in Dublin on Sunday and deserved his try. Thomas Waldrom and Ben Morgan also impressed in Round 2.

7 Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues) - Another faultless day from the retained Welsh captain as he was a constant nuisance to London Irish at the breakdown. The future looks bright for Wales at the moment and for the Blues for that matter as they have two wins from two.

6 Jacques Burger (Saracens) - Jean Bouilhou was solid while scoring a try for Toulouse that got the ball rolling in Galway while Chris Masoe also stood out against Munster. But for another hard-nosed display for Sarries, Burger is in. The Namibian flank is a machine.

5 Dan Tuohy (Ulster) - He simply had to make the XV after a tireless carrying performance at Welford Road. This isn't the first time Tuohy has received a mention for his Ulster efforts and it is surely now a case of when and not if he will add to his international tally with Ireland.

4 Thibaut Privat (Montpellier) - It would have been very tough to leave out Ospreys lock Ryan Jones who, like Tuohy, carried well for his side. But Privat was quite simply superb and fully merits his number four jersey. That horizontal take of a restart was one standout.

3 Rhys Thomas (Scarlets) - After an early morning chat with a colleague 10,000km away, it was Thomas who received a glowing reference for the way he negated Soane Tonga'uiha at Franklin's Gardens on Friday. He edges out strong Cardiff Blues tighthead Taufa'ao Filise.

2 Rory Best (Ulster) - There was nothing flash about Best's effort against Leicester but he did all the necessary things well while throwing in a few breakdown turnover penalties. T Rhys Williams did impress for the Blues against Irish but for his solidity, Best makes it.

1 Marcos Ayerza (Leicester) - Argentina's number one jersey is in very safe hands when Rodrigo Roncero hangs up his international boots. Ayerza was excellent for the Tigers at both scrum-time and in the loose and pips Harlequins prop Joe Marler, whose tackle on Henry Trinder foiled a certain Gloucester try. Allan Jacobsen also deserves a mention.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Heino team of round 2 Empty Re: Heino team of round 2

Post by red_stag Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:05 am

I only saw Castres v Munster. Only contribution I can make to the thread is to agree none of them looked like Team of the Round material.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:08 am

Here's my contribution.

Heaslip didn't score a try Smile

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:10 am

Thought Laidlaw might have warranted more of a mention an surprised that Ford doesn't even rate one?

3 Ulster players? Was the team compiled by rodders, Noth, Rava, geoff, stand & MrsP? Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:11 am

As a Saracens fan not sure why Burger was in there. He was playing 7 not 6 and was outshone by Harinorduquy.

Not sure why Harinorduquy isn't in the backrow spot somewhere.

He should be no 7.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:12 am

I know as a Scarlet I'll naturally favour him, but I'd pick George North at 14.

Made ground everytime he got the ball, was key for the Scarlets' fourth try and was superb in defence. Was better than Trimble I'd say, close though.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:19 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
3 Ulster players? Was the team compiled by rodders, Noth, Rava, geoff, stand & MrsP? Wink

Actually I had Nevin Spence at 12....... Very Happy

Seriously some strange choices in there?

Surprised Peter O'Mahoney isn't in there. Ronan O'Gara at 10?

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:37 am

I only saw the last 20 minutes of the Munster match but apart from the DG I didn’t see O’Gara do much.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:39 am

O'Gara was nowhere near Team of the Round. Did ok but a last minute drop goal doesn't mean he played terrific. O'Mahony did very well but again I'd be surprised if another 6 hadn't a better game.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:53 am

[quote="AsLongAsBut100ofUs"]Thought Laidlaw might have warranted more of a mention an surprised that Ford doesn't even rate one?

quote]

Proberbly because, like everyone else, they could not watch the match, or any highlights of one of the best matches of the year due to Skys inability to show any clips, or coverage

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:12 am

I can accept Priestland at 10, but Donald as the closest contender? To paraphrase the famous cricket quote [1], "Strewth, mate. He's not even the best back-up All Black flyhalf in the Northern Hemisphere!"

Donald did a decent job on his debut, but Evans steered Quins to only the second win at Kingsholm by a visiting team in two years, a role that included repeatedly tackling Lesley Vainikolo and then having to get up and run the game.

[1] "For my money, Mark Waugh is the best all rounder in the Southern Hemisphere" "Strewth mate! He's not even the best all rounder in his own family"
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:14 am

Well, Mick, if you saw the last 20 mins you should have seen ROG charge down a kick for Leamy to feed Chambers for Munster's 3rd try. Not saying that the DG and charge down are worthy of him being team of the week 10, but game impact, 10 vital points in the championship minutes. And TOL's pass for the DG wasn't the best either.

Priestland was good though in the highlights I saw and Sexto was pretty good yesterday, although his job was made much easier by his pack being able to go through more than 5 phases reguarily.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:16 am

Rog put in some great territorial kicking late in the game too. Wasn't he motm? I thought he played well anyways (and I'm always slagging him off Smile) Headscratch
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:20 am

Ah he was good certainly wasn't bad. As I say that was the only match I saw. I would have assumed there was a better performance from #10 somewhere.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:21 am

Nick Evans should definitely be there.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:22 am

Part of me thinks ROG wouldn't have to do these match winning drop goals however if Keatley started..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:23 am

No Geoff Parling? He was magnificent at running the Tigers lineout (which piled pressure onto the brilliant Rory Best). His work around the park was also terriffic and he was probabley my choice for man of the match.

I'd also have to have Gorgodze at 8, he had a quiet first half but in the second half against Bath he was an absolute jaugernaught. Some of the biggest carries I've seen in a long time, breaking two or three tackles every time he got the ball.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:37 am

Rory, you might be right, they could be home and hosed or not remotely in the game. The problems Munster have had over the past two weeks havent been poor execution at 10 or a lack of attacking nous, but rather poor handling (from everyone except ROG) and a lack of control at the breakdown. Now I love the way Keatley plays, but all the quick Outhalf play in the world will not allow you to get quick ball BEFORE that.

Munster are missing Wally up front and the lack of speed in the absence of Earls and Jones is even more telling. Dougie is on fire but he has lost that blinding pace to make really damaging strike runs. His lines, however are better than ever.

And while I am pleased with how he has played and with his selection in general, Ryan is clearly not as effective at the unseen dirty work the DOC does at ruck time to help secure front foot ball/prevent turnovers.

The next backrow I'd like to see (when POM has recovered from the concussion) would be:

6: Leamy
7: POM
8 Coughlan

Or

6: Ryan
7: POM
8: Leamy.

Denis has and will continue to come in for a lot of criticism, but he has been demonstrably effective off the bench both in terms of carrying and ball retention and quality of possession. Ronan won a few very good turnovers on Saturday and is very much a 'groundhog' 7, but it has counted for little as Munster have lost both breakdown battels until DOC & Leamy have come on. Once might be a fluke, twice is a touch more convincing.

In saying all of that though, POM looks like he could become something very special, whatever position he plays in!

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 21 Nov 2011, 10:11 am

3 Ulster players, beaten by a team with one player in it.

This I think is confirmation that Ulster relay a little to much on individuel brillance rather than a team effort.

Once we start playing better as a team, we're start really really challanging.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 21 Nov 2011, 10:28 am

Sam

I thought Ulsters lineout stats were better than Tiggers. Certainly at about the 75min mark sky showed stats that were 15/1 for Ulster to 11/1 for Tiggers. Not saying you are wrong regarding Parling though. By definition if Ulster had so many performers leicester must have been just as good

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 Nov 2011, 1:57 pm

1. Ayerza (tigers)
2. Best (ulster)
3. Thomas (scarlets)
4. O Connell (munster)
5. Privat (montpellier)
6. Peter O'Mahony (munster)
7. Warburton (blues)
8. Morgan (scarlets)
9. Williams (blues)
10. Priestland (scarlets)
11. Howlett (munster)
12. Davies (scarlets)
13. O'Malley (leinster)
14. Ngwenya (biarritz)
15. Brown(quins)

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 21 Nov 2011, 10:13 pm

What a Flip waste of time.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 21 Nov 2011, 10:20 pm

Maesteg

Surely you would have Visser at 11. Howlet played well but Visser was the stand out left wing

And cant believe Greig Laidlaw is not picked well ahead of Williams, he was in a different stratosphere on the weekend

Tries: Visser 2,

Tries Laidlaw 1
Pens: Laidlaw 2
Cons: Laidlaw 6

Plus he set up two of our tries, the only black spot was he let in Chavancy for an easy try

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 21 Nov 2011, 10:36 pm

That'll be an interesting one on one to watch in the double headers then.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 22 Nov 2011, 5:25 am

It's very different to call because Sky idiotically chose not to film a certain 95 point, 11 try match that took place in Edinburgh, but Ross Ford had an enormous, bulldozing game and should take the place of Best if he has apparently been selected because he "did all of the necessary things well".
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 22 Nov 2011, 5:26 am

Glas a du wrote:What a Flip waste of time.

Heino team of round 2 810156456 Heino team of round 2 810156456 Heino team of round 2 810156456 Heino team of round 2 810156456 Heino team of round 2 810156456 Heino team of round 2 810156456 Damn that automatic spell changer.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down