The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Round Robin tactics! Would players be tempted to use them?

+8
zaron
bogbrush
legendkillar
Josiah Maiestas
hawkeye
noleisthebest
barrystar
Tenez
12 posters

Go down

Round Robin tactics! Would players be tempted to use them? Empty Round Robin tactics! Would players be tempted to use them?

Post by Tenez Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:09 am

Who can work out the following? By beating Berdych by the narrowest margin, Djoko could be tempted to rid of Berdych in the RR stage once and for all to avoid any chance of meeting him again in the final. How? Losing to Ferrer woudl probably give Ferrer the best chance to qualify while Berdych might not go through despite beating his remaining 2 opponents.

I am not saying this is Djoko's intention, or any other player for that matter, but if it were, could it be done on paper?

If Federer could rid of Djoko and Nadal in RR, by losing to a player he would typically not, woudl probably be tempted...consciously...or unconsciously.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Round Robin tactics! Would players be tempted to use them? Empty Re: Round Robin tactics! Would players be tempted to use them?

Post by barrystar Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:17 am

It would have to be an asbolute certainty with nothing to lose for the defeat - maybe then he'd decide to play at 70% and see what happened.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Round Robin tactics! Would players be tempted to use them? Empty Re: Round Robin tactics! Would players be tempted to use them?

Post by Tenez Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:27 am

I am sure Nadal woudl be ready to risk it to rid of Djoko had they been in the same group! Cool

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:32 am

Tenez wrote:Who can work out the following? By beating Berdych by the narrowest margin, Djoko could be tempted to rid of Berdych in the RR stage once and for all to avoid any chance of meeting him again in the final. How? Losing to Ferrer woudl probably give Ferrer the best chance to qualify while Berdych might not go through despite beating his remaining 2 opponents.

I am not saying this is Djoko's intention, or any other player for that matter, but if it were, could it be done on paper?

If Federer could rid of Djoko and Nadal in RR, by losing to a player he would typically not, woudl probably be tempted...consciously...or unconsciously.

Sly and cheeky from you Tenez....unless you have completely forgotten about the THIRD match.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:36 am

Despite the third match, you could in theory give Ferrer the best chance. Especially since Murray is going to be out or down.

Should Djoko lose to Ferrer in 2.
Djoko to win limping Murray in 2 (same for Berdych)
If Berdych wins Ferrer in 2, he woudl still have lost one more set than Ferrer so when it comes to Berdych Djoko, the winner of those 2 goes through....correct?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:40 am

Tenez wrote:Despite the third match, you could in theory give Ferrer the best chance. Especially since Murray is going to be out or down.

If Berdych wins Ferrer in 2, he woudl still have lost one more set than Ferrer so when it comes to Berdych Djoko, the winner of those 2 goes through....correct?

There's no way Nole will be fiddling with RR esp. after the 2009 scenario where he bagged two wins and still didn't qualify for the semis .

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:42 am

Tenez wrote:Despite the third match, you could in theory give Ferrer the best chance. Especially since Murray is going to be out or down.

I think it could only possibly happen in the third match - trying to work out the percentages for the 2nd match is crazy. What if you eat something funny and have a stomach cramp 3-4 hours before the 3rd match so that you are fighting for your life?

As I say, only if there's no downside would a player even contemplate such a thing.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:46 am

A question that's always been lingering in my mind:

did Federer deliberately lost to Delpo in 2009 to stuff Murray for that match in WTF in shanghai the year before...remember the one where they had to use Brains to work out who was going to go to the semis....

Last edited by noleisthebest on Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:46 am

All right then.

I remember a couple of years ago, the situation occured with Federer having the key to Murray's dismissal in that 3rd round. He was beaten by Delpo and Murray lost over Delpo by one single game...if my memory serves me well.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:48 am

noleisthebest wrote:A question that's always been tempting my mind:

did Federer deliberately lost to Delpo in 2009 to stuff Murray for that match in WTF in shanghai the year before...remember the one where they had to use Brains to work out who was goint to go to the semis....

There you go. I tend to think it was pure luck..but at the same time, I remember Federer saying he knew while playing that it coudl affect Murray though he denied knowing the right number of games....

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:52 am

Tenez wrote:All right then.

I remember a couple of years ago, the situation occured with Federer having the key to Murray's dismissal in that 3rd round. He was beaten by Delpo and Murray lost over Delpo by one single game...if my memory serves me well.

That was a hell of a year - every single match in the Murray/Fed/Del Boy group went to 3 sets, even against group whipping boy Verdasco, and ultimately Del Boy squeaked through on a better games won than Murray.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:52 am

Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:A question that's always been tempting my mind:

did Federer deliberately lost to Delpo in 2009 to stuff Murray for that match in WTF in shanghai the year before...remember the one where they had to use Brains to work out who was goint to go to the semis....

There you go. I tend to think it was pure luck..but at the same time, I remember Federer saying he knew while playing that it coudl affect Murray though he denied knowing the right number of games....

I'd love to agree, but Federer is one of those players who really seems to bear grudge. He absolutely hated that loss to Murray in Shanghai. That's the only time I ever saw him receive a MTO, he had backache and Murray really went for him. I think he was trying to build psychological advantage with his H2H at the time, but, didn't Federer pay him back at AO...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 22 Nov 2011, 12:01 pm

Yep Barry.

NITB - I honestly don't think Federer really cared a year on about that match. I don;t even think he cares about his negative H2H v Murray.

But of course we'll never know as I doubt, it will make Fed's biography.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 22 Nov 2011, 12:07 pm

Tenez wrote:Yep Barry.

NITB - I honestly don't think Federer really cared a year on about that match. I don;t even think he cares about his negative H2H v Murray.

But of course we'll never know as I doubt, it will make Fed's biography.

I know Fed doesn't care about H2H, but Murray did at the time especially as it was really blown out in the media.
He also may not have cared ab out the outcome of that match, but he definitely didn't like losing it...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 22 Nov 2011, 12:11 pm

You don't win 16 slams liking losing! Wink

BTW - Do you know that Federer took 2 other MTOs (at least)...from memory...can you remember them?

Question for everyone there.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 22 Nov 2011, 3:35 pm

Tenez wrote:I am sure Nadal woudl be ready to risk it to rid of Djoko had they been in the same group! Cool

Ha ha! I think its a tactic most players including Federer would be tempted to use..

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 22 Nov 2011, 4:46 pm

Tenez wrote:You don't win 16 slams liking losing! Wink

BTW - Do you know that Federer took 2 other MTOs (at least)...from memory...can you remember them?

Can't anyone answer this? C'mon there are plenty of Fed fans around.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 22 Nov 2011, 4:48 pm

Tenez wrote:You don't win 16 slams liking losing! Wink

I can't say I remember it....not too bothered about them, but that one stood out.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 22 Nov 2011, 4:54 pm

Theyll be more wary this year... don't wanna start another riot off..
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 22 Nov 2011, 5:05 pm

I don't have a problem with 'tactics' I mean Christ that is what the format creates. If a player has by merit earned a safe passage into the semis and can play tactically, I am afraid that is part and parcel of the game.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 22 Nov 2011, 5:15 pm

The experienced players would see it as mindless to try their absolute hardest if they are already through, unfortunately in 2008 Murray didn't and practically killed his chances of glory in the "5th slam" by slugging it out with Fed before capitulating to Davy.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 22 Nov 2011, 5:48 pm

Now Murray's out and Tipsarevic is in. If Tisarevic manages to beat Berdych and Djoko beats Ferrer, is there a scenario whereby Djoko and Tipsy might play knowing by how mucy Tipsy needs to beat Djoko for them both to qualify......
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 22 Nov 2011, 5:55 pm

barrystar wrote:Now Murray's out and Tipsarevic is in. If Tisarevic manages to beat Berdych and Djoko beats Ferrer, is there a scenario whereby Djoko and Tipsy might play knowing by how mucy Tipsy needs to beat Djoko for them both to qualify......

I think Tipsy has good H2H against Berdych, but pretty sure he lost their last match.
will be interesting tomorrow....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 22 Nov 2011, 6:07 pm

Ok the other 2 MTOs Federer took are:

1 - AO05 v Safin. When he lost that semi. he had an elbow massage.
2 - one tougher to remember cause I fear noone saw that match as all eyes were on Roddick at the time: Wimbledon 2003 1/4F v Schalken (back already then)

Last edited by Tenez on Tue 22 Nov 2011, 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 22 Nov 2011, 7:29 pm

Tenez wrote:Ok the other 2 MTOs Federer took are:

1 - AO05 v Safin. When he lost that semi. he da an elbow massage.
2 - one tougher to remember cause I fear noone saw that match as all eyes were on Roddick at the time: Wimbledon 2003 1/4F v Schalken

Good question!

OK, for extra points - can anyone list all Djokovic's MTO's? Closing date - the final next Sunday. I know it'll be a tight squeeze, but if you type fast.....
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 22 Nov 2011, 10:15 pm

Ok as the players are not keen to play tactics...I will. I would not mind having Rafa going through actually as he would probably provide a better figt v Djoko than Tsonga and they can both kill each other in the semi, giving Federer another good chance for the final.

The problem is that when Tsonga and Berdych play Federer they play as if they have nothing to lose and can end up playing extremely well...whereas against Djoko and Nadal, they know they shoudl win and therefore puts themselves under extra pressure.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:31 pm

IMO Nadal approached tonights match with Federer in a different frame of mind because it was a RR than he would have if it had been the usual life or death match in a tournament.

He said in the interview before he walked on court that he would still have chances to go through to the semis even if he lost. He didn't sound like a player totally focussed on winning. I thought it the time the match wasn't going to be an epic 3 setter. He wasn't going to invest too much emotianal energy in a RR match.

Taking nothing away from Fed. He was at his brilliant best. Great fun to watch.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:38 pm

He wasn't going to invest too much emotianal energy in a RR match.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE6ZHQ_aKLIP5BOuemVFy1WTGByplmAqVZW6K9H4OZtpmbP9DH Run
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 22 Nov 2011, 11:38 pm

hawkeye wrote:IMO Nadal approached tonights match with Federer in a different frame of mind because it was a RR than he would have if it had been the usual life or death match in a tournament.

I said before the tournament that in fact playing Nadal in a less pressure environment, woudl help Federer produce his best tennis. I think the situation helped Federer much more than it disadvantaged Nadal who showed lots of motivation in that first set and even beginning of second set.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by zaron Wed 23 Nov 2011, 10:39 pm

Interesting scenarios for tactics in the 3rd RR games.

Ferrer can lose in straight sets to eliminate Djokovic.

Djokovic can at best only qualify in 2nd (and hence a semi with Federer).

These are the scenarios for the three who can still qualify.

Ferrer: is through.
- Wins group with a win (vs Berdych) or a Djokovic win (vs Tipsarevic).
- finishes 2nd with a loss and a Djokovic loss

Berdych:
- Wins group with a win (vs Ferrer) and a Djokovic loss.
- finishes 2nd with a 2-0 win (vs Ferrer)
- finishes 2nd with a 2-1 win (vs Ferrer) and Djokovic loses a set.
- out with a loss
- out with a 2-1 win and a Djokovic 2-0 win.

Djokovic:
- finishes 2nd with a Berdych loss
- finishes 2nd with a 2-0 win and Berdych loses a set.
- out with a loss and a Berdych win
- out with a 2-0 win and a Berdych 2-0 win
- out with a 2-1 win and a Berdych 2-1 win

If the organizers want the last match to be meaningful, then it should be Ferrer vs Berdych, but this opens up the tactical 0-2 (or possible 1-2) loss for Ferrer to eliminate Djokovic.

zaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 23 Nov 2011, 10:47 pm

Zaron - Well done!..and Welcome here.

Are you coming from 606?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed 23 Nov 2011, 10:49 pm

Zaron,

thanks! we need someone organised and disciplined like you Smile!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by zaron Wed 23 Nov 2011, 10:50 pm

Tenez wrote:Zaron - Well done!..and Welcome here.

Are you coming from 606?

yeah, ages ago

zaron

Back to top Go down

Post by zaron Wed 23 Nov 2011, 10:56 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Zaron,

thanks! we need someone organised and disciplined like you Smile!

Thanks! The matches more interesting when one knows whats at stake, especially if you don't normally support either player.

zaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 23 Nov 2011, 11:02 pm

Who do you support? What was your pseudo on 606?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by zaron Wed 23 Nov 2011, 11:23 pm

Tenez wrote:Who do you support? What was your pseudo on 606?

I prefer to maintain my neutrality. But I support the one(s) who play, attacking, skillful and fast tennis.

zaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Nov 2011, 11:38 pm

zaron wrote:

I prefer to maintain my neutrality. But I support the one(s) who play, attacking, skillful and fast tennis.

I wonder who that would be then... I bet it begins with an F....

Fish Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 23 Nov 2011, 11:42 pm

emancipator wrote:
zaron wrote:

I wonder who that would be then... I bet it begins with an F....

Fish Whistle

Be serious!

Ferrer it is!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Wed 23 Nov 2011, 11:54 pm

Foggy Fognini.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 24 Nov 2011, 12:07 am

Zaron is a Nole fan, eat your hearts out Cool

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:22 am

Fish Whistle [/quote]

Be serious!

Ferrer it is![/quote]

No Fernando Verdasco.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:28 am

zaron - well done with the 'who goes through scenario analysis'

Impressive stuff !!

You'd be very useful in replacing the harmless-enough-but-rather-uninformed Ms.Barker as the Beeb's studio anchor

(come to think of it ..... most people would make a good stab at replacing her.... Rolling Eyes )

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Nov 2011, 6:50 am

Welcome aboard zaron OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu 24 Nov 2011, 8:37 am

noleisthebest wrote:Zaron is a Nole fan, eat your hearts out Cool

Can't be! He said attacking and skillfull tennis. Cool

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:56 am

Tenez wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfJiPPsHJEQ

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:25 am

noleisthebest wrote:
Tenez wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfJiPPsHJEQ

LOL! Very good!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:00 pm

zaron, bit of a bone to pick with your scenarios: surely if Djokovic and Berdych both lose we have a three-way tie for second? so then it comes down to sets difference, no? something like

1. Djokovic loses 0-2, Berdych needs to win (at least) a set to go through, otherwise Tipsy does.
2. Djokovic loses 1-2, Berdych is through if he wins a set, otherwise (Ferrer wins in straight sets) it's a three-way tie with the same set difference, so it comes down to games won and lost.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by zaron Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:49 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:zaron, bit of a bone to pick with your scenarios: surely if Djokovic and Berdych both lose we have a three-way tie for second? so then it comes down to sets difference, no? something like

1. Djokovic loses 0-2, Berdych needs to win (at least) a set to go through, otherwise Tipsy does.
2. Djokovic loses 1-2, Berdych is through if he wins a set, otherwise (Ferrer wins in straight sets) it's a three-way tie with the same set difference, so it comes down to games won and lost.
In that scenario we would indeed have a 3-way tie for 2nd.

But, the ATP WTF has this (bizarre) rule that if players are tied on number of wins, the player with most matches (i.e., most loses goes through). So 2-1 beats 2-0, and 1-2 beats 1-1 or 1-0.

In this case, Tipsarevic (1-1) is eliminated, and Djokovic (1-2) beats Berdych (1-2) on H2H.

zaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:53 pm

oh right didn't know that one zaron, in that case you're right, it just seems utterly bizarre. So as a replacement not only are you disadvantaged because you (usually) carry through a player's previous defeats, but you're also disadvantaged because he played a bit before pulling out. Strange rule.

So Tipsy is out?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by zaron Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:19 pm

Yeah, Tipsy is out Sad.

Unless, two players get injured/food poisoning/homesick and can't continue...

zaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down