The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HW Round Robin - The also rans - 12 Rounders

4 posters

Go down

HW Round Robin - The also rans - 12 Rounders Empty HW Round Robin - The also rans - 12 Rounders

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 30 Nov 2012, 5:40 pm

Floyd Patterson (6' 71" Reach and weighs in between 185-200( vs Frank Bruno (6' 3" 82" reach and weighs in about 225)

Tommy Morrison vs Ken Norton

Ron Lyle vs Donovan Ruddock

Buster Mathis vs Michael Grant

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

HW Round Robin - The also rans - 12 Rounders Empty Re: HW Round Robin - The also rans - 12 Rounders

Post by NathanDB10 Fri 30 Nov 2012, 6:35 pm

Patterson to win via late TKO, way too quick and skilled and will see Bruno's punches coming. Peek-a-boo style perfect for getting past Bruno's decent jab, and repeatidly lands the gazelle punch to Bruno's less than steel chin.

Ken Norton in 5

Lyle ud

Mathis v Grant=pick'em, maybe Mathis late.

NathanDB10

Back to top Go down

HW Round Robin - The also rans - 12 Rounders Empty Re: HW Round Robin - The also rans - 12 Rounders

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 30 Nov 2012, 6:51 pm

No way known that Lyle-Ruddock hears the final bell rung, or anywhere near it, for that matter. Thunder and lightning and who is left standing when the smoke clears? Lyle, for my money, in about 4.

Patterson is the money call v Bruno (late stoppage I expect), but you absolutely can't rule out Floyd's glass whiskers getting shattered by one of Bruno's hefty right hands. If Ingo can do it, Frank certainly can.

Mathis-Grant is Mathis all day, every day. Grant is a big zilch, in heavyweight terms, while Mathis was a rough, tough customer who mixed it in far better company. Mathis outclasses one of history's more overrated pretenders by the 7th, I reckon.

Morrison is nothing if not a puncher, and I wonder whether Ken can avoid getting another attack of the heebie-jeebies at the prospect of facing someone who can hit. If Norton is on a brave day, he outclasses Tommy by about the 5th. If not, he'll get wiped out within the first couple of rounds.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 30 Nov 2012, 7:24 pm

Even though Patterson is a far more skilled boxer and better all around athlete, he was naturally a light heavyweight, and couldn't take flush shots from heavyweights. A Bruno jab could buckle his knees and I'm no Bruno fan. Patterson leads on the cards until he gets hit clean on the chin near the start of the fourth, gets up and gets put down again several times before the ref waves it off. I'd be more inclined to back Patterson if he weren't known for lacking confidence.

Even though I think Norton's the better fighter, Morrison's just the kind of guy who'd give him butterflies before the bell. Morrison's got power, speed and aggression. He also has a poor chin, so there's a chance Norton could get out of jail free with a counter over hand right, but I think an early blowout in favour of Morrison is more likely.

I'm a fan of Ron Lyle, I think he was very unlucky to be in such a good era of heavyweights. He boxed Ali and was ahead on the cards before he was stopped, he slugged it with Big George before coming up short in a valiant effort. Foreman called Lyle the hardest puncher he'd ever faced along with Cooney and Cleveland Williams. He had a chin, stamina, he was mean and confident. Ruddock had that great power too, and showed plenty of grit vs Tyson, but I think he's in deep here. Lyle was a warrior and survived near decapitation from Shavers to come back and win. Lyle by TKO in 10.

Grant v Mathis. I'd back Mathis by uninspiring decision.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 01 Dec 2012, 9:09 am

Must admit that I was surprised by Lyle UD. Thats a four rounder if I've ever seen one. Probably a Lyle knockout but ruddock could surprise you with sudden left hooks that did a great deal of damage. Lyle KO 4

Patterson vs Bruno - If it goes the Distance or late then Patterson Wins - Like JBW I think that as Patterson was essentially a light Heavy, big Frank catches him sometime and then finishes him. Frank had a solid jab and an even more solid right hand. Either one of those could hurt Patterson and if you factor in the reach advantage, then it becomes tough for him. Frank KO 6

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NathanDB10 Sat 01 Dec 2012, 3:12 pm

The thinking behind my prediction for Lyle is that he always did the opposite to what you expected in his big fights.

For example, he tried to outbox Ali, when the common consensus would be to try and overpower/outslug him. Similarly when he fought Foreman most people thought he would box him and he tried to out-hit him.

NathanDB10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down