The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rob Howley signs a new contract with Wales

5 posters

Go down

Rob Howley signs a new contract with Wales Empty Rob Howley signs a new contract with Wales

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:41 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15821978.stm

Is this good news or bad?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Rob Howley signs a new contract with Wales Empty Re: Rob Howley signs a new contract with Wales

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:28 pm

I'd say good. I think we need to keep our coaching team together. I know Howley's been lambasted in the past about our rubbish backline moves, but we were so much more improved in the wc, and that's either down to Rhys P being able to implement what Howley wants, or more time in the coaching set up really does help.

Back to top Go down

Rob Howley signs a new contract with Wales Empty Re: Rob Howley signs a new contract with Wales

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:39 pm

But what backline moves, Dreamer? Getting a big man to bash his way up the middle of the park? It's the predictability of our first-phase attack that makes me underwhelmed by the news that Howley's signed on until 2016. Ireland have at least half-a-dozen moves they try off first-phase ball and it sows doubt in the opposition's minds. Okay, it's hard to stop Jamie Roberts or George North on the crash ball, but knowing they're on their way makes it easier. I just want us to vary things more than we do at the moment. A new backs / attack coach might have brought new ideas with him.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:45 pm

Well we didn't do the crash ball so much with Scott Williams and John Davies in the centre though did we?

And Rhys Preist got our backs running different angles then what we've seen over the last couple of seasons.

I know what you mean about getting new ideas though, am hoping over the next few years some get developed, just so we have a plan B. But then Wales seem to be set playing a certain style, and if it works for us, why mess about with it??

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:53 pm

I'm probably being too harsh on Howley, I admit that. He may have new ideas of his own. Some of our handling at the World Cup was brilliant, so he's doing something right. But I'd have liked to see someone new come in all the same.

Come on, Stan Laurel, make me eat my words!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:26 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:But what backline moves, Dreamer? Getting a big man to bash his way up the middle of the park? It's the predictability of our first-phase attack that makes me underwhelmed by the news that Howley's signed on until 2016. Ireland have at least half-a-dozen moves they try off first-phase ball and it sows doubt in the opposition's minds. Okay, it's hard to stop Jamie Roberts or George North on the crash ball, but knowing they're on their way makes it easier. I just want us to vary things more than we do at the moment. A new backs / attack coach might have brought new ideas with him.

I have to agree with Luckless - even if it is a bit harsh

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:59 am

I think everyone is being a bit harsh on Howley. The team has been in a bit of disarray for a while and is only now rounding into form. Some of the younger, newer players are having a big impact. A year ago, the Wales players appeared directionless on the pitch. Now, much of a cutting edge is developing. I wouldn't change anything with things looking up.

Besides, I will always be a Howley fan after that famous try against Toulouse. I was at that match and I still get a warm and fuzzy watching the replay. Had to watch it again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6CQz_gCzJw
Of course, he needs to bring a little more creativity to his coaching, but thats as far as I will go. Classic stuff.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:08 am

I still say Rupert Moon is still the best worst English Welsh scrum half ever though...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:22 am

doctor_grey wrote:I think everyone is being a bit harsh on Howley. The team has been in a bit of disarray for a while and is only now rounding into form. Some of the younger, newer players are having a big impact. A year ago, the Wales players appeared directionless on the pitch. Now, much of a cutting edge is developing. I wouldn't change anything with things looking up.

I think he got a harsh wrap for players under-performing.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:28 am

Still not totally convinced by him but like idea of not having coaches on same contract times
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:34 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Still not totally convinced by him but like idea of not having coaches on same contract times
Good point..!

i noticed that but it had escaped me.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down