The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow team for Ulster

+10
red_stag
aucklandlaurie
Glas a du
George Carlin
Imperialbigdave
mckay1402
justified sinner
Rava
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Scot Abroad
14 posters

Go down

Glasgow  team for Ulster Empty Glasgow team for Ulster

Post by Scot Abroad Wed 23 Nov 2011, 7:44 pm

15 Stuart Hogg
14 David Lemi
13 Troy Nathan
12 Graeme Morrison
11 Federico Aramburu
10 Duncan Weir
9 Henry Pyrgos

1 Jon Welsh
2 Pat MacArthur
3 Mike Cusack
4 Tom Ryder
5 Al Kellock (captain)
6 Rob Harley
7 John Barclay
8 Ryan Wilson

SUBSTITUTES
16 Dougie Hall
17 Ryan Grant
18 Moray Low
19 Richie Gray
20 Chris Fusaro
21 Chris Cusiter
22 Alex Dunbar
23 Colin Shaw

Not considered for selection due to injury: Johnnie Beattie (back), Rob Dewey (shoulder), Dougie Hall (hamstring), Ruaridh Jackson (hamstring), Peter Murchie (shoulder), Fergus Thomson (shoulder), DTH van der Merwe (shoulder), Scott Wight (groin)

Strong team and bench for the game. Good to see Low get a place in the squad after playing for Ayr last weekend.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Glasgow  team for Ulster Empty Re: Glasgow team for Ulster

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 23 Nov 2011, 7:47 pm

Still loads of strength to come back too in Beattie, Jackson, Thomson and vdM Cool

Might be an idea to get the mods to merge this into the Ulster vs Glasgow thread, even if those NornIron folk do tend to wax lyrical over the slightest Ulster-related minutiae!!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed 23 Nov 2011, 8:06 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Still loads of strength to come back too in Beattie, Jackson, Thomson and vdM Cool

Might be an idea to get the mods to merge this into the Ulster vs Glasgow thread, even if those NornIron folk do tend to wax lyrical over the slightest Ulster-related minutiae!!

boxing furious
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Wed 23 Nov 2011, 8:27 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Still loads of strength to come back too in Beattie, Jackson, Thomson and vdM Cool

Think alphabet is out for the season, otherwise agree. Would like to see Beattie in particular regain some form.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Wed 23 Nov 2011, 8:51 pm

justified sinner wrote:

Think alphabet is out for the season, otherwise agree. Would like to see Beattie in particular regain some form.

DTH is out for the season. If I remember correctly, Beattie was in contention for the Bath game until he got injured. Even when these players come back, they’ll have to play pretty damn well to displace the youngsters. Coming off the drubbing that Leinster gave us last week, this game will be a real test of character. I’m looking forward to seeing Lemi in action. Word coming out of the Warriors camp is that he’s been class in training. Good to see Nathan starting, he should have started last week but eventually came off and set up the try. I just wish we had someone coming through to play 12 instead of Morrison furious

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed 23 Nov 2011, 10:19 pm

Is Colin Gregor injured?
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 23 Nov 2011, 10:39 pm

I think hes away for the sevens this weekend
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 24 Nov 2011, 7:10 am

Good looking Glasgow squad.

I am making the following assumptions:

1. Henry is being given at least 40 due to his good performance and try against Leinster (about the best thing for Warriors in the entire match).

2. Lemi has trained well and he is ready and willing to kick some @rse. Come on wee man.

3. In addition to his shoulder issues, Dewey has also not been considered due to his 'crapness' isses.

4. Richie will come on in the second half to renew our 'go-forward' game in the loose.

5. IrnBuru has enough gas to make a decent fist of things on the wing.

6. If we're winning in the last quarter, Low will get his chance for some first team game time.

7. The Mods will merge this thread with the Ulster one eventually. Glasgow  team for Ulster 769663

8. That there will be no more sledging of Ulster fans on this thread - they are some of the best posters on these boards, I think.

This weekend is going to be a really big test for Glasgow. Can they take a serious beating, learn from it and get back into the swing? That's what serious league contenders do.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 24 Nov 2011, 7:42 am

That's a no then. Ulster by 3

SUFTUM!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 24 Nov 2011, 8:28 am

George Carlin wrote:Good looking Glasgow squad.

I am making the following assumptions:

7. The Mods will merge this thread with the Ulster one eventually. Glasgow  team for Ulster 769663

8. That there will be no more sledging of Ulster fans on this thread - they are some of the best posters on these boards, I think. Hug clap

This weekend is going to be a really big test for Glasgow. Can they take a serious beating Yahoo learn from it and get back into the swing? That's what serious league contenders do.

Leprechaun Braveheart
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:28 am

why is Troy nathan at centre?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:39 am

Do Glasgow fans think:

1 - They can make the Amlin (Or even HEC knockout qualification though thats a stretch)?

2 - They they can make the playoffs?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:51 am

1 - Depends on which team shows up from Montpellier - if they are concentrating on the T14, Glasgow could win at home and then away too; as long as Leinster put two over on Bath, then the final away game at the Rec might simply be a distraction for Barf - more chance of an Amlin place than HC quarters
2 - Yes, there's a bit more depth about the squad these days with the youngsters coming thru: Welsh and Grant at loosehead are both decent, Thomson and MacArthur likewise at hooker, and Cusack and Low should be able to provide the cornerstone to the pack at tighthead. Good quality locks in Kellock, Gray and Ryder, and handy backrowers in Barclay, Beattie, Harley, Fusaro, Wilson and Eddie. Have to keep Cusiter fit at 9, hopefully Jackson and Weir will push each other on at flyhalf, bit of a weakness in the centres, then handy back three players with Lemi, young Hogg, Aramburu, Shaw & Seymour

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:55 am

Is it too early for people to get excited about Scottish rugby again after the recent good form of the clubs?

(Do we call them clubs or regions/provinces/franchises?)
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:58 am

You can call 'em whatever you like, Staggy, we're not precious like that in Scotland Wink They grew out of the former district teams, hence I tend to refer to them as the pro-districts Yikes

Much too early to be getting excited, but I'm happy that there does appear to be a lot of young talent coming thru the ranks OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:40 am

red_stag wrote:Is it too early for people to get excited about Scottish rugby again after the recent good form of the clubs?

Staggy - we are Scotland fans.

Our meat and drink over recent years has been false dawns, disappointments, heroic gubbings and with a slug of masochists theatre thrown in as we pluck defeat from the jaws of victory (Wales in the 6N, anyone?)

There's no way on his earth that any of the Scottish posters on these boards are going to get ahead of themselves.

That said, there is new dawn on the horizon with genuine speedsters like Visser, Jones and Hogg, hard nut tyros like McInally and Harley and tricksters like Weir, Bennett, Leonard, Matt Scott and Hidalgo Clyne looking to step into the thistle.

Watch this space. But anyone talking about a golden generation should be given a wedgie and sent to the back of the class.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:45 am

George Carlin wrote:
red_stag wrote:Is it too early for people to get excited about Scottish rugby again after the recent good form of the clubs?

Our meat and drink over recent years has been false dawns, disappointments, heroic gubbings and with a slug of masochists theatre thrown in as we pluck defeat from the jaws of victory (Wales in the 6N, anyone?)

There's no way on his earth that any of the Scottish posters on these boards are going to get ahead of themselves.

That said, there is new dawn on the horizon with genuine speedsters like Visser, Jones and Hogg, hard nut tyros like McInally and Harley and tricksters like Weir, Bennett, Leonard, Matt Scott and Hidalgo Clyne looking to step into the thistle.

Watch this space. But anyone talking about a golden generation should be given a wedgie and sent to the back of the class.
Class, GC, sheer class Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:13 am

aucklandlaurie wrote: why is Troy nathan at centre?

Because Rob Dewey plays in the centre like a forward except without the aggression. Imagine a 13 that is slow by the standards of a centre, can't pass and will drop 5 out of 10 passes that come his way. When he does catch the ball his sole aim is to run into the nearest opposition player, flop to the floor and pray that his back row colleagues are on hand to recycle the ball so it can be given to someone more competent. Dewey's only position is 12, provided you can build your game plan around him (literally). I initially had high hopes for him when he broke through because of his physique, but he's like the Audley Harrison or Frank Bruno of rugby, looks great in the ring until he has to flight.

Nathan is a more complete player, and in my view has made a difference coming on in the last couple of HC matches, coming on for Dewey and Murchie respectively.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:34 am

funnyexiledscot
To me Troy always played his best rugby at either first five or fullback,hes one of those players that needs lots of licence.
His dad was telling me how when he was playing for an Irish team,earlier this year he got put all over the place, In fact he reckoned he played every position in the back line sometimes in the one game, i just couldnt imagine Lineen stuffing him about lioke that.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:40 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote: why is Troy nathan at centre?

Because Rob Dewey plays in the centre like a forward except without the aggression. Imagine a 13 that is slow by the standards of a centre, can't pass and will drop 5 out of 10 passes that come his way. When he does catch the ball his sole aim is to run into the nearest opposition player, flop to the floor and pray that his back row colleagues are on hand to recycle the ball so it can be given to someone more competent. Dewey's only position is 12, provided you can build your game plan around him (literally). I initially had high hopes for him when he broke through because of his physique, but he's like the Audley Harrison or Frank Bruno of rugby, looks great in the ring until he has to flight.

Nathan is a more complete player, and in my view has made a difference coming on in the last couple of HC matches, coming on for Dewey and Murchie respectively.

I think Dewey was the classic one season wonder. We got him at Ulster on the back of a good 6N but he failed to live up to the hype.
Nathan can be very exciting. I hope he waits until after Friday to show it though.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 24 Nov 2011, 12:02 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Class, GC, sheer class Glasgow  team for Ulster 810156456

Cheers Asbo. It made me laugh at least and I understand that's half the battle.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 24 Nov 2011, 12:10 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote: funnyexiledscot
To me Troy always played his best rugby at either first five or fullback,hes one of those players that needs lots of licence.
His dad was telling me how when he was playing for an Irish team,earlier this year he got put all over the place, In fact he reckoned he played every position in the back line sometimes in the one game, i just couldnt imagine Lineen stuffing him about lioke that.

Well Glasgow have Weir at 10 and Hogg at 15, both performing extremely well. They are probably to two star performers in the backs this season, so Nathan is unlikely to dislodge those two. Lineen is pretty wedded also to Morrison at 12, he likes his 12 to be a ball carrier and defensive player, and with Lemi very much a winger, it's a natural choice to use Nathan at 13.

It does Glasgow no harm to have a creative type of player in the centres, and Nathan's ball skills are considerably better than Morrison's or Dewey's. Hopefully Glasgow can use Nathan's skills at centre to get more from Hogg and Lemi.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 24 Nov 2011, 12:27 pm

Ulster Team Named:

The team which will run out at Firhill shows four personnel changes and one positional switch from the starting XV that was defeated 20-9 by Leicester in the Heineken Cup last weekend.
Rory Best and Stephen Ferris have been rested as part of the IRFU's player management programme, so Andi Kyriacou and Robbie Diack are direct replacements at hooker and blindside flanker. Chris Henry is also rested by McLaughlin and is replaced by Willie Faloon in the back row, but the rest of the pack remains unchanged.

In the backs, Craig Gilroy - who like Chris Henry has played in all of Ulster's 10 games so far this season - gets a well earned break from the action. The one positional change sees Simon Danielli move from fullback to his customary wing position in place of Gilroy, while Adam D'Arcy is promoted from the bench to play at the back.

A D'Arcy; A Trimble, D Cave, N Spence, S Danielli; I Humphreys, P Marshall;
(1-8): T Court, A Kyriacou, D Fitzpatrick, J Muller (capt), D Tuohy, R Diack, W Faloon, P Wannenburg;
Replacements (16-23): N Brady, P McAllister, A Macklin, T Barker, M McComish, I Porter, P Jackson, I Whitten

Unavailable due to injury: Jared Payne (achilles), Ruan Pienaar (hamstring), Paddy Wallace (thumb)

Rested due to player management: Stephen Ferris, Rory Best, Chris Henry, Craig Gilroy

If Glasgow turn up, Ulster might be looking for a LBP with that side
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 24 Nov 2011, 12:43 pm

Can't complain with that team Rava with D'arcy, Spence, Faloon, Diack etc. all getting game time.

Good to see Henry and Gilroy getting a rest too.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:07 pm

The exchange earlier regarding wedgies and false dawns is 100% accurate. For the first time we do seem to have genuinly talented backs coming through the ranks, but most people here know that it'll be a couple of years untill we see the best out of these guys.

Things are looking brighter but feet are firmly planted.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:14 pm

It's what we all have been advocating this week Rodders. We just have to trust them to do a job.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:18 pm

Exactly Rava...maybe Geoff has been feeding our comments back to the powers that be..... Very Happy

Hopefully we can get a result, if not at least some guys have gotten gametime and the younger guys experience. It has to be done if we want the depth to compete on two fronts. I hope some guys put their hands up for HEC contention.

I have faith in the squad though and if those guys play to their potential we should do ok.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:39 pm

Nathan brings that extra little bit of magic to the Glasgow backline and probably should have started against Leinster instead of Pete Murchie but I believe it was in case of injury to Dunc as he can play 10.

Also anyone who thinks Cusack is decent needs their head examined. All he can do is stand there and scrummage. He's like a reverse Tony Buckley, all scrum nothing outfield at all. He just stands at the side of the ruck and then lies down in the middle of it if he even hits one! The sooner Muzza is back the better!

But enough negative vibes, I'm pretty torn in this one! Will be in the warriors stand for this one so will have to keep pretty stum during the game but think that the Ulster lads might just end up with a LBP rather than the win. I think the Warriors will want to get that Leinster game out of their system pretty quick... Although in saying that I can't tell!!! God willing Rob Dewey doesn't give me the evils again this year!!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 24 Nov 2011, 3:22 pm

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:Also anyone who thinks Cusack is decent needs their head examined. All he can do is stand there and scrummage. He's like a reverse Tony Buckley, all scrum nothing outfield at all. He just stands at the side of the ruck and then lies down in the middle of it if he even hits one! The sooner Muzza is back the better!

I'm with you as regards his comments about workrate, but you cannot deny he is a strong scrummager and has worked wonders with the Glasgow scrum, which is a total mess with Kalman at tighthead.

I think Murray Low has the potential to be the better player, but he hasn't been at the races for a while now and Cusack has stood in admirably. No team can function with a scrum in reverse gear, and Cusack has solved a problem in that regard. Yes, his workrate is very poor, but I make two observations in that regard. Firstly, Glasgow have no shortage in lightweight forwards elsewhere to compensate. MacArthur and Grant both work their socks off, as does Kellock in the second row and Harley seems to have infinite amounts of energy at 6. Secondly, Adam Jones used to be a fat player with no workrate but a decent scrummager, and look at him now - widely regarded as one of the finest tightheads in the international game and a British Lion.

Cusack has only just made the step up from the Championship. Some hard work and conditioning will improve that work rate. On the otherhand, all the kings horse and all the kings men won't make Kalman a decent scrummager.

Hopefully Low will make a barnstorming return to both the Glasgow and the Scotland side, but until he does, I'm sure Glasgow will be grateful that Cusack at least gives them a platform.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:05 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:Also anyone who thinks Cusack is decent needs their head examined. All he can do is stand there and scrummage. He's like a reverse Tony Buckley, all scrum nothing outfield at all. He just stands at the side of the ruck and then lies down in the middle of it if he even hits one! The sooner Muzza is back the better!

I'm with you as regards his comments about workrate, but you cannot deny he is a strong scrummager and has worked wonders with the Glasgow scrum, which is a total mess with Kalman at tighthead.

I think Murray Low has the potential to be the better player, but he hasn't been at the races for a while now and Cusack has stood in admirably. No team can function with a scrum in reverse gear, and Cusack has solved a problem in that regard. Yes, his workrate is very poor, but I make two observations in that regard. Firstly, Glasgow have no shortage in lightweight forwards elsewhere to compensate. MacArthur and Grant both work their socks off, as does Kellock in the second row and Harley seems to have infinite amounts of energy at 6. Secondly, Adam Jones used to be a fat player with no workrate but a decent scrummager, and look at him now - widely regarded as one of the finest tightheads in the international game and a British Lion.

Cusack has only just made the step up from the Championship. Some hard work and conditioning will improve that work rate. On the otherhand, all the kings horse and all the kings men won't make Kalman a decent scrummager.

Hopefully Low will make a barnstorming return to both the Glasgow and the Scotland side, but until he does, I'm sure Glasgow will be grateful that Cusack at least gives them a platform.

Agreed FES - you cannot underestimate the step up from Championship to Robocop - the conditioning takes time. Look at Henry P at scrum half - he used to be unable to last 60 minutes, hit fitness has improved exponentially. I think that Cusack will be the same. Would be happy for the big chap to look to qualify for the international squad on residency (although he won't).
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down