The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster vs Glasgow

+35
EWT Spoons
clivemcl
reallybored
Submachine
R!skysports
InjuredYetAgain
SecretFly
InBODWeTrust
neilthom7
MrsP
TJ
Rory_Gallagher
alive555
cakeordeath
LondonTiger
marty2086
profitius
Artful_Dodger
demosthenes
BelfastDickVet
Nematode
RDW
luvtotup
Standulstermen
The Great Aukster
Don Alfonso
VinceWLB
Weegie Wizard
Pete330v2
funnyExiledScot
BigGee
UlstermaninGlasgow
Notch
jimbopip
George Carlin
39 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Ulster vs Glasgow Empty Ulster vs Glasgow

Post by George Carlin Mon 06 Oct 2014, 8:23 pm

Ulster vs Glasgow Ulster11                      Ulster vs Glasgow Glasgo11
Ulster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors
Saturday 11 October 2014
KO 17:05
Kingspan Stadium

Live on Sky Sports

Referee: Nigel OwensUlster vs Glasgow Yesss13(WRU, 114th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Nigel Correll, Paul Haycock (IRFU)
Citing Commissioner: Murray White (IRFU)
TMO: Simon McDowell (IRFU)

A. Teams:

Ulster Rugby
Ulster vs Glasgow Paula-10
15 Louis Ludik
14 Andrew Trimble
13 Jared Payne
12 Stuart McCloskey
11 Tommy Bowe
10 Ian Humphreys
9 Paul Marshall

1 Andrew Warwick
2 Rory Best (Captain)
3 Wiehahn Herbst
4 Alan O’Connor
5 Franco van der Merwe
6 Robbie Diack
7 Chris Henry
8 Nick Williams

16 Rob Herring
17 Callum Black
18 Bronson Ross
19 Lewis Stevenson
20 Roger Wilson
21 Michael Heaney
22 Stuart Olding
23 Craig Gilroy

Glasgow Warriors
Ulster vs Glasgow Kelly-10
15. Peter Murchie
14. Sean Maitland
13. Mark Bennett
12. Peter Horne
11. Tommy Seymour
10. Finn Russell
9. Henry Pyrgos

1. Gordon Reid
2. Fraser Brown
3. Euan Murray
4. Tim Swinson
5. Leone Nakarawa
6. Rob Harley
7. Chris Fusaro
8. Josh Strauss (Captain)

16. Dougie Hall
17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
18. Zander Fagerson
19. Jonny Gray
20. Adam Ashe
21. Niko Matawalu
22. James Downey
23. Sean Lamont

B. Form - head to head:

29 Played 29
15 Wins 13
13 Losses 15
1 Draws 1
49 Tries 47
31 Conversions 33
78 Penalties 68
2 Drop Goals 7
547 Points 526
26 Avg. Age 26

C. Form - last season:

Friday 13 September 2013  
Ulster Rugby 12 - 13 Glasgow Warriors
Ravenhill Stadium

Friday 18 April 2014
Glasgow Warriors 27 - 9 Ulster Rugby
Scotstoun Stadium

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 10 Oct 2014, 4:58 pm; edited 4 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ulster vs Glasgow Empty Re: Ulster vs Glasgow

Post by jimbopip Mon 06 Oct 2014, 8:27 pm

Should be an absolute cracker. With a five day turnaround, and a day's travelling I think we can expect quite a few changes in the Warrior's line up. The Red Hand Gang will be feeling very confident after their unopposed training session last time out. All I need is a link to be able to watch it.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 06 Oct 2014, 8:31 pm

Ulster against Edinburgh I would give a score of 5/10. There were another 30 points or so out there for the taking. Against Zebre it would be 1/10 or 2/10. To be fair in the second half against Edinburgh it was more like 7/10, it was the first half that let us down. We need to continue that momentum we built up towards the end of that game.

So the form of Ulster is not great heading into this game, if Ulster are held to the very highest standards, and I'm hoping for and expecting the biggest performance of our season so far in the biggest game of our season so far. Ulster will need to perform to a high level to win this game. If we play to our potential we can secure the 4-0 points spread we need. If we let the intensity slip we won't.

We need to treat this not as a Pro12 game, but as a European Cup game in its own right.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 06 Oct 2014, 8:43 pm

Two great actresses - Kelly MacDonald and Paula Malcomson - are our team reps this week.

If you look at the head to head numbers you realise just how close this fixture has been every time.

Once again, I don't like having our first choice front row still out. Will be interesting to see whom Toonie leaves out - Maitland will be doing well to make the bench at the moment given that DTH and Tommy are smoking hot and scoring tries for fun. Townsend has already said in interviews that he acknowledges Seymour is dying to get stuck into his former side.

I would also have liked our first choice 10 to have been slightly clearer at this stage in the season too.

Last edited by George Carlin on Tue 07 Oct 2014, 8:36 am; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 06 Oct 2014, 9:04 pm

It should be close, but if we give Ulster a 10 point start we'll do well to get back in the game. I'll be looking to see Ickle Jonny and Guns in the 2nd row. Harley, Strauss and Fozzie in the back row. Henners then the Mental One at 9 (consecutively not concurrently, as the judge has said to Asbo on many an occasion). And, fitness permitting Dunbar and Messiah in the centres. Back three same as Sunday.
Front row is anybody's guess. But those fat lads don't do much anyway , do they?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Mon 06 Oct 2014, 9:37 pm

I make my long awaited return to v2 on the eve of a big match for two of my teams... Having returned from the wilds of Dumfries to return as a newly minted Glasgow season ticket holder, who thinks that this weekend could be better than last weekends decidedly feisty encounter in the Aviva! Who needs Munster vs Leinster when you have Glasgow vs Ulster!

Ulster are the team who've started slower this season for sure but Glasgow are not as defensively strong this season as they have been before. However the fact that they are running in tries like nobody's business is a big factor for this one.

I expect a big battle up front and big skills in the backs.

Glasgow need to play their first choice non-injured front row as Ulster will look to pick holes in them without. Ulster need to stop with the "Jared Payne is a 13" experiment and stick with Cave and McCloskey/Olding at 13 and 12... Glasgow need to pick Finn Russell and stick with him. Ulster need to start faster than last week.

It's going to be difficult to watch from both sides, but I still think the home crowd will play a part and Ulster to sneak it by 2.
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 06 Oct 2014, 9:40 pm

Clyde - welcome back.

Just to be absolutely clear, I am hoping for 4 points but would settle for 1 or 2.
Getting hee-haw is not acceptable.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 06 Oct 2014, 10:52 pm

I think that Russell will start at 10 for this one and how he plays will decide who has the shirt for the European games and probably the AI. Duncy has played well but it is his turn for a rest and Finn deserves his chance. He may sit out the whole game and Horne will cover.

We are going to have to get a look at Sean Maitland at some point soon. My guess is that it will be off the bench for this one. Niko will also start on the bench with Henry starting. That is probably our best combo in that position.

Murray will be back for a Saturday game but less clear who will pack down with him. Allen has been the best of the loose heads in my opinion, hooker though, is anyone's guess.

It would be good to see Johnny back in the second row but he may or may not be fit, we are fairly spoilt though in this position, I just hope he does not pick Al for sentimental reasons. He is probably our 5th choice now and we are not short of leaders.

Strauss will get a rest during the AI's, so we can probably afford to flog him a little bit now. Harley and Fusaro will make up the back row, with Ashe on the bench if fit, Eddie if not.

I have got a sneaking feeling we will see Murchie back for this game as well. Hoggy has been playing well, but so was he before they switched around.

Anyway the team will probably look nothing like this but it sure is fun trying to guess it!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 06 Oct 2014, 11:30 pm

Great ploy by Edinburgh, lulling Ulster into a false sense of security so that Glasgow can capitalise. Very clever.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 07 Oct 2014, 9:12 am

Ulster have to finally have to play two or three gears higher than they have so far this season, we've peaked at average so far and much, much more is expected. What better team to bring out the best in the home team than Glasgow, the biggest hurdle in the Pro12. Ulster do tend to spring from the ashes of mediocrity and perform when the big boys come knocking and fingers crossed this will be no different. If we don't perform to our best it will make for absolutely horrible viewing as we know what the Weegies do to non-perfroming sides.

SUFTUM!!!!!!

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Tue 07 Oct 2014, 9:53 am

I can't wait for this one. Obviously I'm delighted we are going in unbeaten but I think that hides the fact that our scrum and defences have not been up to the standards we expect. We have conceded 69 points in our last 4 games - probably about double what we should have.

If we don't sort that out away at Ulster is not where you want to be.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 07 Oct 2014, 10:25 am

We will be going after the Glasgow scrum in a big way, thats for sure WW. That'll be a big battle ground. Any side coached by Allen Clarke prides themselves on the scrum. Our scrum and maul is very good right now. They are weapons.

But where the Weegies have the advantage over us is in their much lower error count and fluency with the ball. Their execution is so much better than ours. They are able to play at a high tempo without making too many errors- we try and keep the tempo as high as possible but we make bad decisions and mistakes. If this game is mile a minute, that could suit our opposition. We need to play with a bit more control and composure- without getting sucked into the other extreme.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 07 Oct 2014, 10:50 am

Here's a question. How many "world class" players will be involved in this fixture?

Discuss....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 07 Oct 2014, 11:04 am

None for Glasgow and Ulster full of them :P

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 07 Oct 2014, 11:08 am

VinceWLB wrote:None for Glasgow and Ulster full of them :P

Oh you jest, but surely Big Al Kellock will be picked? There's one right off the bat.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 07 Oct 2014, 11:09 am

Glasgow have been the best team in the Pro12 since the latter part of last season (notwithstanding choking in the final – something Ulster know all about), and I am not massively confident.

If we do indeed have Payne back at fifteen then that could be crucial for us. It is not merely that he is a damn sight better there than outside centre, but he is fantastic in coming up and joining the attacking line – our best key to unlocking opposition defences.

Pienaar is a seriously problematic absence for us. Marshall has been gradually improving, as in fairness, he tends to when given a run in the jersey. He is eminently capable of having more good moments than bad in a game, but that will be a pre-requisite of any victory over Glasgow. But having Pienaar would have seriously increased my confidence.

Missing Henderson and Tuohy is an absolute kick in the knackers. Van der Merwe has been a great addition this season – Johann Muller is a demi-god as far as I’m concerned, but VDM is much more effective in his tackling, carrying etc than Muller was in his last season or two. (We will be in trouble when we have to rest VDM, as we inevitably will do, before Tuohy and Henderson are back.) But Hendo and Tuohy are two of our best carriers, with Hendo edging towards exceptional towards the end of last season, and Dan on fire at the start of this. Missing them depowers our pack considerably. Especially Henderson, with his one-man choke tackles. I would give O’Connor the start against Glasgow, with Stevenson on the bench.

It’s hard to say, because Edinburgh were a rabble, but it looked like some Allen Clarke toughness and canniness being shown in our forwards in the last game. The maul was well used, and the lineouts went well. Our scrum is our secret weapon. Already, with Warwick and Herbst packing down, my attitude is “Tom who? John what?” We have lost their reputations – we haven’t lost anything on the pitch. And if other teams and coaches still think of us as the team that used to have Tom Court and John Afoa, then Big License and Wiehann will ambush and mince up a fair few scrums.

I’ll be honest. I would like to have iHumph on the bench. We know how flakey he is, but he is also capable of brilliance. If we were more than a score behind with ten to go – I’d think about it. Olding seems functional at ten, but I’d worry about the game slipping away from us.

Overall, I think we will improve, but this “Payne at 13, everyone nominally a centre gets a go” approach means our midfield will be rusty - not ideal for the sixth game of the season.

Announce Doaky, get settled. A tough battle at Ravenh - KIngspan – on a Friday evening against an opposition team close to everyone’s hearts is a good way to kickstart the team. My worry is a loss will un-nerve everyone, and that’s what I see happening.  

“He said resignedly”, without either team named. nor any idea of weather or further injuries.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 07 Oct 2014, 11:48 am

Ulster will have a very strong set piece, but then again, that's not really news to anyone. Agree that Henderson and Tuohy are probably the most influential members of the engine room and their loss will be very keenly felt.

What should worry Ulster most is how god awful they were against Edinburgh at recycling and progressing smoothly through the phases. They really were very scrappy and did not seem to be executing accurately with what ball they had. That's going to present problems against Glasgow who have one of the most effective and settled loose forward combinations in the league.

I'm really looking forward to it as each side has a back 3 that can score from absolutely anywhere. I hope Glasgow sticks to the tried and tested set of impact subs - Nakarawa, Matawalu, Sherlock/Eddie and Maitland.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 07 Oct 2014, 11:50 am

Also, I fully expect Doak to be named as head coach before the match.
Why wouldn't they?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 07 Oct 2014, 12:11 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Here's a question. How many "world class" players will be involved in this fixture?

Discuss....

That should be the thing of least importance. Tommy Bowe is or was a player who had the adjective 'world class' appended to his name in the press. Right now he's drifting through games a bit while his old mate Andrew Trimble- who was dropped for Ireland entirely under Kidney remember- is on fire.

World class players are wonderful, but give me a very good player with a chip on his shoulder any day! As Don so accurately says, when Afoa and Court left we lost the reputations- but we haven't lost out on the pitch. Thats why I have such a deep admiration and respect for Glasgow, Gregor Townsend and everything they've achieved- and a desire for us to beat them off the pitch too furious Hug

Last edited by Notch on Tue 07 Oct 2014, 12:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 07 Oct 2014, 12:13 pm

George Carlin wrote:What should worry Ulster most is how god awful they were against Edinburgh at recycling and progressing smoothly through the phases. They really were very scrappy and did not seem to be executing accurately with what ball they had. That's going to present problems against Glasgow who have one of the most effective and settled loose forward combinations in the league.

Exactly- it was way below par for a team with realistic aspirations to win trophies. Which is why I feel so... baffled at folk saying the Edinburgh win will have lulled us into a false sense of security. There were some positives aye, particularly towards the end, but a huge amount to work on for Ulster realistically. A long list of areas where we need to improve.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 07 Oct 2014, 12:15 pm

George Carlin wrote:Ulster will have a very strong set piece, but then again, that's not really news to anyone. Agree that Henderson and Tuohy are probably the most influential members of the engine room and their loss will be very keenly felt.

What should worry Ulster most is how god awful they were against Edinburgh at recycling and progressing smoothly through the phases. They really were very scrappy and did not seem to be executing accurately with what ball they had. That's going to present problems against Glasgow who have one of the most effective and settled loose forward combinations in the league.

I'm really looking forward to it as each side has a back 3 that can score from absolutely anywhere. I hope Glasgow sticks to the tried and tested set of impact subs - Nakarawa, Matawalu, Sherlock/Eddie and Maitland.

Agreed George. That's been an issue for us for a while. Given Anscombe was a back-rower, that shows how much attention he was paying. And our backs have to be considerably more clinical. That's what lost us the game against your boys last season at Ravenhill. Bowe had hands like feet against Edinboro - needs to be sharper.

Of oourse, shipping 23 points to Treviso... If Glasgow aren't focussed, and our backs are, it coudl be a points-fest.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 07 Oct 2014, 12:18 pm

I hope Al Kellock does play. He's one of my favourite ever players due to his presence and leadership and whatever about the result, its great seeing the players you respect the most first hand.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 07 Oct 2014, 12:25 pm

[quote="Don Alfonso"]

And if other teams and coaches still think of us as the team that used to have Tom Court and John Afoa, then Big License and Wiehann will ambush and mince up a fair few scrums.

I've a stupid questio for you Don. Why is Warwick nicknamed Big License? I know it's probably a very well known thing but I have seen this on t'other forum and have been wondering.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 07 Oct 2014, 12:30 pm

It's a nickname given to him by his Ballymena(?) team-mates becasue he has a truck-driver's license. There's a spoof Twitter feed called "Big License" that's all about cowboy suppers and how great lorries are.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 07 Oct 2014, 12:32 pm

https://twitter.com/big_licence

"Don't know if you heard, but I'm pretty much a big deal now..."

Ha ha ha!

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:30 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:Why is Warwick nicknamed Big License?

The original joke for the truckers is that you should need a licence to be that big.

BTW it's licenCe - non of that American nonsense!

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:43 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:Why is Warwick nicknamed Big License?

The original joke for the truckers is that you should need a licence to be that big.

BTW it's licenCe - non of that American nonsense!

I was only copying Don's spelling, blame him Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:59 pm

Yeah, sorry about that.

Typically. I'm quite the grammar Nazi. Uncharacteristic slip.

Does he not have a trucker's licence because of his da's business or something?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 07 Oct 2014, 3:42 pm

Hey Don, any grammar nazi can make the odd spelling mistake and licence is one that frequently catches me out so I was relying on you being correct Smile

Here's another one, Trimble (according to PJ's blog) is named Shamoo. I wonder is that referring to the Orca of similar name. I wonder a lot folks.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 07 Oct 2014, 7:51 pm

Really quite unclear who is fit at present - the walking wounded list for Treviso was:
Not available due to injury: Adam Ashe (leg), Mike Cusack (medical/illness), Alex Dunbar (quadriceps), Ryan Grant (shoulder), Jonny Gray (chest/ ribs), Richie Vernon (Achilles), Jon Welsh (shoulder) and Ryan Wilson (shoulder).
So on the basis that we already know whom the long term recovering are (Cusack, Grant, Welsh, Wilson), I would like to see:

01. Reid
02. Hall
03. Murray
04. Gray
05. Nakarawa
06. Harley
07. Fusaro
08. Strauss (c)

09. Matawalu
10. Russell
11. DTH
12. Dunbar
13. Bennett
14. Seymour
15. Hogg

16. Allan
17. MacArthur
18. De Klerk
19. Swinson
20. Eddie/Holmes (can't decide, both have played well)
21. Pyrgos
22. Horne
23. Maitland

That side can win.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 07 Oct 2014, 7:55 pm

PS - thank goodness that an *actual* referee is in charge of this fixture.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 07 Oct 2014, 8:50 pm

Our tight five needs to bully Glasgow and get Strauss and co on the backfoot. If we don't it could be messy. Glasgow stole this fixture last year and in truth I would take a reversal of that as they look a much more complete team than we do at the minute.

Looking forward to it with a degree of apprehension that isn't the norm for home games.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 07 Oct 2014, 10:17 pm

Ulster are either in crisis or they aren't - if they aren't they will win this game. OTOH if they think there might be a hint of a vestige of a tinge of a smidgeon of a possible crisis they could easily disappear down a black hole of self doubt like last year. That's what Pienaar gives - confidence on the pitch when good sides like Glasgow don't roll over after a couple of hits. Unfortunately RP isn't there and the drain in experience elsewhere from the squad has left the Ulster self-confidence tank depleted.

The win over Edinburgh last week might just have helped to get the crowd up enough to sway the outcome?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by luvtotup Tue 07 Oct 2014, 11:32 pm

Think Murchie should play- Just think he is much safer under the high ball than Hogg - Trimble and Bowe could make a meal of any spills. Forecast ok but suggests rain around game time and if that's the case again Murchie would be the safer bet. Hoggs a great player but, IMHO , just needs a little more time to get back to his old self. However, have total trust inToonie and going to Belfast for the game which should be a great contest.

luvtotup

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed 08 Oct 2014, 9:06 am

GC you're braver than me trying to second guess Toonie on this one.

I hope he goes for the team above or close to it. I would maybe go for Horne/Dunbar at centre. I think that maybe we will need a bit more bite up front so we may see Swinson start instead of Naka (although I hope not).

Also, Hogg has played the last 3 and might well play the next 3 as well. That has be to close to a selection record for GT?

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 08 Oct 2014, 9:08 am

This game will be a real statement for Glasgow if they win it - will give them great confidence to push for 1st place. Still early days though of course.

I suspect Glasgow are due a bad performance sometime, and Ulster will prove a real test. Will be interesting selections given the EC games are coming up after, but I suspect it will be a strong Glasgow squad.

Gonna be interesting!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 08 Oct 2014, 9:13 am

Weegie Wizard wrote:GC you're braver than me trying to second guess Toonie on this one.

I hope he goes for the team above or close to it. I would maybe go for Horne/Dunbar at centre. I think that maybe we will need a bit more bite up front so we may see Swinson start instead of Naka (although I hope not).

Also, Hogg has played the last 3 and might well play the next 3 as well. That has be to close to a selection record for GT?

I don't think the internationals are allowed to play more than 5 games in a row. If Hoggy is to play the two European games then I think he will sit this one out. I have every confidence in Murchie anyway, if he does play it will be no great loss.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 08 Oct 2014, 9:15 am

On the topic of Hogg, good interview with him in the Scotsman this morning.  Main point of note - he admits that he did have an attitude problem last season!  Very Happy

STUART Hogg has revealed that his summer star turn with Scotland provided him with the perfect platform to reclaim his starting place in the Glasgow line-up.

The 22-year-old’s meteoric rise since he made his Warriors debut in season 2010/11 saw Hogg go on to establish himself as first-choice full-back for both Glasgow and Scotland and book a place on the victorious British and Irish Lions tour of Australia last year.

However, with niggling injuries undermining his progress last season, a loss of form and focus also followed after the Borderer’s dismissal following a late tackle on Wales’ Dan Biggar in Scotland’s Six Nations defeat at the Millennium Stadium.

Subsequently Hogg found himself marginalised by the understated efficiency of Peter Murchie who was preferred in both the semi-final and final of the Pro12 last term and also started the new campaign in pole position at 15.

But a refocused Hogg has since roared back to reclaim the full-back slot, starting Glasgow’s past three games and scoring two vital tries against the previously unbeaten Connacht, while producing some scintillating attacking rugby, as the Warriors’ backline has cut loose with 15 tries in their past three outings.

Now the Glasgow favourite says he has fallen back in love with the game thanks to his summer of Scotland service.

“I really enjoyed the summer tour with Scotland, it made up for what happened back in the Six Nations and brought light at the end of the tunnel,” said Hogg.

“It was great to get the try against the USA and follow that up with a decent game against Canada and another try against Argentina and then the whole experience with the Scotland Sevens at Ibrox was a real buzz and gave me a new lease of life.

“But I have learned a lot from the past 12 months, drawn a line under it and now it’s great to be back enjoying my rugby again.”

Hogg also paid a glowing tribute to team-mate Murchie, whose composure and consistency saw Hogg miss out on last term’s showpiece Pro12 final at the RDS against Leinster.

“Peter Murchie is so solid under the high ball, he makes some great runs and he was playing out of his skin at the end of last season and he deserved it,” admitted Hogg. “The flip side of that was my attitude was not good, I was struggling to get into the side on form and I was disappointed with myself.

“On the other hand Murchie was playing the rugby of his life and when that happens sometimes you just have to say that the other guy deserves it more. But I believe I learned from all of that and I’m the better for it.”

Hogg also admitted that the work he has done with Scotland legend Chris Paterson, who regularly coaches the Warriors backs at Scotstoun, has been a great influence in helping him return to the top of his game.

Indeed Paterson’s expert tutelage was perhaps evident in the laser-guided 43-metre kick that helped secure a 19-17 victory over Canada at the BMO Stadium back on 14 June.

With Hogg backing up that vital contribution with tries against the USA and Argentina in the Tests either side of the meeting with the Canucks, it was clear that the vibrancy had once again returned to his game.

“Mossy [Paterson] was outstanding for Scotland, he was one of the best Scotland internationals there has been and that is why he is our record point scorer and cap holder and it has been great for me to be able to work with a guy of that calibre,” said Hogg.

“We’ve all benefited from Mossy’s help at Glasgow and I’ve certainly learned a lot from him.

“But although the last few years have been incredible I know I still have an awful lot to learn and to improve on, so there is plenty of hard work still to be done.”

Glasgow put their unbeaten five-game start to the Guinness Pro12 season on the line at third-placed Ulster on Saturday and then face two mouth-watering outings in the inaugural European Rugby Champions Cup against Bath and Montpellier and a league return with Treviso, before the autumn internationals appear on the horizon.

Hogg admits that he is still pinching himself at his exalted status as a Scotland talisman. “My first few involvements [with Scotland] were surreal but I enjoy it more every year and the main thing is that I am learning all the time.”

Meanwhile, Glasgow have confirmed the capacity of Scotstoun Stadium will be increased to around 7,000 following huge demand for tickets for the upcoming Champions Cup match with Bath.

A new covered 864-seater west stand will be constructed and will be in place for the visit of the English Premiership side on Saturday, 18 October.

Glasgow managing director Nathan Bombrys said: “We’ve already sold around 5,000 tickets for our European Rugby Champions Cup opener with Bath later this month. With over 3,300 season ticket members this season – a record number for the club – and an increasing number of supporters attending individual games we’ve moved quickly to increase the capacity of the stadium.

“Thanks to Scottish Rugby and Glasgow Life we’ve managed to secure an additional covered stand which will be in place until the Glasgow Sevens in May.

“This means more covered seating will be available for our supporters and we’re delighted it will be in place for the visit of Bath – who currently sit second in the Aviva Premiership.”

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 08 Oct 2014, 10:01 am

I'm sorry but it's very difficult to see Murchie over Hogg as anything other than a defensive selection over an offensive one. Hogg has played bloody well since he's been back and we would be hobbling ourselves against Ulster if we didn't choose him.

Toonie has already said that he won't play guys 5 games in a row as a rule. We may even be looking at a 11 DTH 14 Seymour 15 Maitland back three, which I wouldn't be adverse to either.

Incidentally, I do not buy this 'Ulster in crisis' tosh for one second.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 08 Oct 2014, 10:02 am

UIG, a belated welcome back. I've missed your divided loyalties. Just be careful where you put your cutlery because apparently those are not art nouveau cruets but Bru's stones one the table. Shocked
GC, I like your team but will Hall go straight into the starting line up? I predict MacArthur. Likewise with the Deadly Finn at 10, not enough game time under his belt and Meatball has been consistent so probably gets the start.
I think the centres will be crucial and that's were you really see how far ahead of the MFL we really are. Dunbar has been excellent this season and his partnership with the Messiah just keeps getting better. However, Hornee Furra Linee playing as a second playmaker at 12 looks really exciting. Or Downey at 12 to smash holes in the Ulster defence and Dunbar at 13. Or Murchie at 15 and Hogg at 13. All this and we still have Richie Vee to come back!!! Just as long as we don't see Schlong at 13 again.
Luvtotup (don't we all) I really envy you going to the game, should be a cracker.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 08 Oct 2014, 10:24 am

George Carlin wrote:I'm sorry but it's very difficult to see Murchie over Hogg as anything other than a defensive selection over an offensive one. Hogg has played bloody well since he's been back and we would be hobbling ourselves against Ulster if we didn't choose him.

Toonie has already said that he won't play guys 5 games in a row as a rule. We may even be looking at a 11 DTH 14 Seymour 15 Maitland back three, which I wouldn't be adverse to either.

Incidentally, I do not buy this 'Ulster in crisis' tosh for one second.

I think you are being a bit harsh on Murchie. Hogg would probably be my and just about everyone else first choice but he won't play every game. A one in five rest period does actually strike me as being very sensible in a long season especially for the international players who won't get the mid season breaks that some of the others do.

Murchie played very well in the games he started in at the beginning of the season and least we don't forget was also keeping Hogg out of the team on form at the end of the last, he was certainly not dropped for form this time.. Whilst he does not quite possess the x factor of Hogg, you could argue he is more solid in defence and is certainly no slouch going forward with a knack of scoring good tries. He really will not weaken the team that much and if it is a tight game on a horrible night in Belfast (both likely scenarios) he may well add to it.

Maitland has not even benched yet, so I would doubt that he will come straight back in for this game. I am not sure that he is a better full back in any case, he was only covering there last year due to injury. Expect to see him coming off the bench in the second half and then come into contention for the European games.

Toonie lives and dies by his rotation policy. It keeps all of the squad hungry and keen, they all know that hey will get a fair chance to put down a marker. It is a system that has worked well so why change it. In other rugby clubs, not a million miles away from Glasgow, it is still the traditional Scottish system in place, where it is harder to get out of the team than to get in it!

I am fairly confident which system is working best!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed 08 Oct 2014, 10:42 am

According to the Belfast Smellegraph, we are likely to be missing Paddy Jackson and Luke Marshall. Brilliant.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/coach-kiss-will-make-ulster-rugby-return-after-world-cup-30647057.html

"Meanwhile, it is believed that Ulster will be without Paddy Jackson for Saturday’s PRO12 clash with Glasgow Warriors after picking up a blow to the head. Luke Marshall is also ruled out with a rib problem and Michael Allen will be missing for up to eight weeks with a shoulder injury."

So of our best 23, no Tuohy, Henderson, Pienaar, Jackson, Marshall.

Sigh.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 08 Oct 2014, 11:01 am

Don, on the one hand I'm very disappointed. On the other Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo
But the difference between real rugby clubs and homes for resting cat-walk models is that even second or third choice/ squad players will actually turn up and play as opposed to aimlessly kicking the ball back to the opposition. No matter who you put out they will be Ulster players and they will be capable of beating anyone at Ravens sorry, Outspan.
It won't be easy or one sided, for either side, no matter who plays. Which will be in stark contrast to the MFL's next game.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 08 Oct 2014, 11:03 am

Luke missing isn't a real worry as we've a wealth of centres and McCloskey and Olding would have been front runners anyway. We will definately miss PJ if he's to miss out although not as badly as last season as iHump is a much more capable replacement than we've been used to.

Nil Desperandum!!!!!

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 08 Oct 2014, 11:10 am

McCloskey v Dunbar - that is going to be one hell of a contest! boxing

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 08 Oct 2014, 11:16 am

Oh dear... Marshall and Humphreys a big step down from Pienaar and Jackson. Jackson is yet to play well its true
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed 08 Oct 2014, 11:21 am

I will say this. iHumph/Olding is pretty much the attackingest, most creative 10/12 on the island. iHumph can be stunning in attack. We got to a HEC semi-final with him as our ten (where, admittedly, we promptly swapped him for an unproven 20 year old PJ).

As long as Glasgae agree to not run down his channel when they have the ball, we're laughing.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 08 Oct 2014, 11:21 am

McCloskey and Dunbar have already run into each other once, as caught by this amateur photographic evidence taken at the time:
Ulster vs Glasgow Explos10
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 08 Oct 2014, 11:23 am

Don Alfonso wrote:I will say this. iHumph/Olding is pretty much the attackingest, most creative 10/12 on the island. iHumph can be stunning in attack. We got to a HEC semi-final with him as our ten (where, admittedly, we promptly swapped him for an unproven 20 year old PJ).

As long as Glasgae agree to not run down his channel when they have the ball, we're laughing.
Not to worry. Rob Harley hates to tackle people. (Ulster vs Glasgow Hyster13)
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 08 Oct 2014, 11:27 am

That is my one and only fear, if iHump is selected the Weegies will fire everything down that 10/12 channel. Olding will have to tackle for two men. Mind you, I think iHump has made as many successful tackles so far this season as he did in his entire time with us previously. He may still be a rotating door but maybe one that doesn't spin quit as easily.
I am attempting optimism, it's difficult right now.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next