The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WESTWOOD JOINS PGA TOUR

+25
GT350
raycastleunited
MustPuttBetter
JDandfries
super_realist
Josiah Maiestas
gaelgowfer
ScottieD18
Tiler76
SmithersJones
hend085
kwinigolfer
drive4show
JPX
Gareth_NI
liegerwoods
navyblueshorts
George1507
LadyPutt
Doc
lorus59
Maverick
Redrage
Diggers
Eyetoldyouso
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WESTWOOD JOINS PGA TOUR Empty WESTWOOD JOINS PGA TOUR

Post by Eyetoldyouso Thu 24 Nov 2011, 8:42 am

Apparently everyone's favourite is off once again to grab the riches of the PGA Tour.
Explaining this decision, he says, inter alia, "The FedEx Cup looked pretty good on television this year, and I thought it would be great to give it a go, having never taken part." He also says "It just feels right to me in a Ryder Cup year to commit to a full programme in the United States."

I wish him well and hope that this will help him win the major(s) he so richly deserves.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

WESTWOOD JOINS PGA TOUR Empty Re: WESTWOOD JOINS PGA TOUR

Post by Diggers Thu 24 Nov 2011, 8:55 am

Be interesting to see how he goes, not convinced its the best move for him or that he will shine over there.
Re the majors, he'll deserve them when/if he wins one or more, not before.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:15 am

I think it makes sense with the RC being held over there and also from a major perspective, you have to feel if it doesn't happen for him soon it never will. If he is playing regularly in the states leading into the majors then he is giving himself the best preparation possible.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:16 am

Completely agree with Diggers. Personally don't think this is a good career move for Weswood, be surprised if he finishes 2012 top 10 OGWR. Needs to find some serious form unlike this year where he's been patchy at best.

As for majors the only players that deserve them are the ones who have won them.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:17 am

It must be so much easier to play and stay over there when you never have to worry about getting visa's and all the hassle involved. Also the money is much better. In 2011, 89 players won $1 million or more. I think it suits his game too. Playing in the air with good well struck iron shots.
I am very smooth with an iron in my hand, it's a pity its on the ironing board and not the golf course.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:26 am

Maybe his position in the worlds top 3 all year, has made him think that he needs to show his face over there, and show them why he's a top player. I hope it works out for him and it will please dim Tim no end, but to the detriment of the ET.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:44 am

I agree that this is a bit of a gamble, but I can see the logic to it. Westwood had such a modest year in 2011 that anything but his best form will mean a drop in the rankings. I am not sure he'll be that concerned about this, I think this is very much about major performances. It would have been very easy for him to stay in Europe and compete regularly and rack up a load of points in an RC year. It also suggests to me that he is pretty confident that he willl be in the RC team and of a WC if required. I think he is trying to get his game into the best shape he can to deliver the major(s) that are missing from his career, while he is still (arguably) in his prime.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:00 am

His argument for staying in Europe has always been that he likes to spend time with his children during the school summer holidays when many of the top PGA events are played (he's played only a few ET events during that time) but obviously they are older now and don't need Dad around at holiday time - and would probably like to go to the States for a few weeks. It also makes sense, as others have said, given that the RC is to be played in the States next year. A good move IMO.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:04 am

Why does the Ryder Cup have any bearing on why he should or shouldn't play on the PGA tour?

What happens if he has a bad year, and doesn't do very well in the US? Will his confidence suffer?

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:21 am

Seems a reasonable decision to me, all things considered. Good luck to him.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:23 am

Well the bearing it could have is that he could play very badly and not qualify automatically.

If he has a bad year his confidence may or may not suffer, most have agreed it is a bit of a risk.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:29 am

i might be wrong but i thought he was splitting his time between the ET & PGA. Thats excactly what i think the best players should be doing.

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:37 am

Personally I don't understand why all the top players don't take up membership to both Tours and have never understood their moaning with regard to the schedules/minimum tournament requirements.

Requirements are 13 tournaments on the European Tour and 15 on PGA, of which the Majors and WGC events (8 in total) count towards both, thats equating to a total of 20 tournaments in a calendar year, hardly seems like a HUGE commitment to me.

Think its a good move by Lee, so long as he has a good season as he can climatise on the run up to RC by playing in whatever tournaments he wishes rather than relying on invites since loosing his card.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:30 am

I would think the fact that he now has lifetime membership of the European Tour has made this an easier decision than it has been in the past.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:37 am

Is he upping sticks completely or going to play both tours?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:45 am

Apart from the Gulf tournaments, Lee only played five times in Europe anyway this year, plus The Open, which he'd play regardless of what Tour he's on. He did play three times in Asia, so replacing those events with PGA Tour stops would get him close to his magic 15.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 24 Nov 2011, 12:11 pm

has dim Tim relaxed some rules? i thought there was something along the lines of once you relinquish membership you cant reapply for a few years?

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 24 Nov 2011, 12:21 pm

Not sure hend0, but he certainly jumped at the chance to re-admit Rory to full membership.

d4s: lw1 says he's playing both Tours. Provided he plans his schedule properly, it shouldn't be a problem. Only decisions he'll have to make really will be between Augusta and the US Open, otherwise his plans should be pretty clear cut. Suggested schedule on my thread yesterday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 24 Nov 2011, 12:56 pm

i think Rory was able to rejoin because of an exemption for major winners for the previous calender year.

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:23 pm

cheers kwini, I'll have a look thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:31 pm

I don't see that it makes much of a difference other than he'll be at Sawgrass and then hopefully playing in the FedEx cup ahead of the RC. He may have to not defend the titles he won in Asia this year but aside from that not much changes prior to August.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiler76 Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:43 pm

Diggers/Mav

Agree up to a point on the "deserving a major", but I think Westwood is an exception here. His form over the 2-3 year period prior to 2011, where he was in contention almost every time and posted a number of top 3 finishes, is ridiculously consistent. In my opinion he didn't throw any of those chances away, just wasn't able to do enough (e.g. hole the putts) to get over the line. I think this makes him deserving of a major, i.e. the next time he's in contention on a Sunday, a few putts fall in or he gets that little bit of luck.

Unlike Luuuke, who hasn't really contended in majors very often. Of the 2, I still Luuuke more likely to bag a major in 2012 because when his putter is hot he holes everything. And that's generally what wins the majors.

Tiler76

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:01 pm

No-one is an exception to deserving a major, the US could argue the same case for Stricker, Scotland could argue that for monty to.

Only the best over all 4 days wins and simple fact is, as good as LW has done he hasn't been good enough over all 4 days of a major to be deserving of one.he has certainly put himself into position to win one, but he has then failed to close out.

Don't get me wrong I'd like to see him win one, he's certainly a good player, has been World No1 deservingly so. My only concernis his short game isn't good enough in the heat of majors, I'd like to be proved wrong but I feel LW will never win a major, but would like him to prove me wrong

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:33 pm

Westwood has had so many chances in recent years. To me there's a trend to most of his near misses.

He plays great for the first few days and gets into the lead or within a shot of the lead. He then appears to back-off. Looks to me that he decides to take less risk, but the birdies dry up but he can't stop occassional bogeys (perhaps due to an average short game) then he falls off the pace. He then stuggles to pick-up his game and finished second or third.

As most posters, if Westwood can break the duck next year he would be a popular winner and more deserving then most. Playing both tours should help not hinder.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 24 Nov 2011, 3:04 pm

I would love for Westy to do well 'over there' but he is going to have to find a little something extra in his game if he's going to close the deal in the ones that matter.

Still, although Darren Clarke would probably never admit to it, I rather think he thought his chance to win a major had gone forever so, Westy, if at first you don't succeed ...

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 24 Nov 2011, 3:24 pm

His lack of quality putting will be shown up even more on these quicker greens, but wish him the best.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Nov 2011, 3:58 pm

Perhaps he prefers quicker greens Josiah? He's won over there before after all.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 24 Nov 2011, 4:28 pm

Not very often Super to be fair. He arguably played tge best golf of his career in 2009 and 2010 and played plenty of events in the states without a win.
I hope he does well but I think he'd be better off in Europe.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Thu 24 Nov 2011, 4:35 pm

It is a good move for Lee, as he is only really bothered by money, and seems quite happy finishing second to me - and since the FED EX is not just a 4 round tourney, his consistency may help him earn (prizemoney wise) the richest prize in golf!

Good Luck LEE!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Nov 2011, 4:37 pm

Not many Europeans do win very often over there though Diggers, but I don't think we can put it down purely to the greens being quicker (if indeed they even are)
He's had some great results at The Masters where the greens are very quick, so I don't think fast greens are a reason for him failing. Probably just not as good a putter as he should be, regardless of the pace they play at.

I'd prefer him to stay in Europe too, but that's his decision isn't it?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 24 Nov 2011, 4:42 pm

For sure and as I say good luck to him, though to be honest he looks a bit of a chump with his back tracking about the Fed Ex after his previous comments.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 24 Nov 2011, 4:48 pm

JDandfries wrote:It is a good move for Lee, as he is only really bothered by money, and seems quite happy finishing second to me

Finishing 2nd to you?!!?
Wow, fair play to you JD
What tournament was that?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Thu 24 Nov 2011, 5:08 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:
JDandfries wrote:It is a good move for Lee, as he is only really bothered by money, and seems quite happy finishing second to me

Finishing 2nd to you?!!?
Wow, fair play to you JD
What tournament was that?

thumbsup

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 24 Nov 2011, 5:33 pm

JDandfries wrote:It is a good move for Lee, as he is only really bothered by money, and seems quite happy finishing second to me - and since the FED EX is not just a 4 round tourney, his consistency may help him earn (prizemoney wise) the richest prize in golf!

Good Luck LEE!
You really think that's the case? It's only about the money for him? I think that's a bit harsh. He hardly needs it and his record to date hardly has him relentlessly chasing the cash. 3/4 Majors are in the U.S. - maybe he thinks playing there a bit more in U.S. conditions will give him a better chance?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 24 Nov 2011, 5:47 pm

Navy, I just think he might be better off playing the majors off the back of good European events and confident rather than off an average PGA campaign. But who knows, he might top the money list next year.
Speaking of money it doesn't help that he called it just a money fest last year and now it's an exciting series on good courses.
None of them need the money as such but that's still what they play for a lot of the time. I'm sure he does lots of time consuming corporate stuff he doesn't need the money from, he'll still do them though.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 24 Nov 2011, 6:43 pm

The fact that Lee hasn't won very often in the US does't really mean much. Nobody wins very often on the PGA Tour, apart from that one bloke with the receding hairline and dodgy knee, and even he hasn't won for ages.

I know that people say that winning is a habit, but I would have thought that acclimatising yourself to the US tour environment is more important. Many of the regular tour events such as the Heritage, Wells Fargo, Memorial, etc have a very similar look and feel to the USPGA and US Open. Playing the Taco Bell Kebab shop Open has got to be better preparation for 3/4 majors than the Welsh Open / Italian Open etc.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by GT350 Fri 25 Nov 2011, 1:54 am

Wow, some short memories on here, or am I mistaken? I seem to recall all kinds of applause not too long ago for Westwoods "patriotic" and "family first" decision to side with the "stronger" European Tour. Seems like now the kids are all of 1 year older (or thereabouts), it is now a better time to play Stateside?
Didn't Mr. Westwood also make some disparaging remarks about McIlroy's recent decision to return to the US, or was that just the press?
I think the truth is that they have both realised that life is all too short and the US is where their best chance of golfing and financial success is.
Both tours have some brilliant players and anything that means we get to watch stronger fields in 2012 has to be good.

GT350

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 25 Nov 2011, 2:11 am

US tour still attracting the top talent, good to see Europe's best committing. Great purses, great venues, very well run events. Is this a problem for the European Tour? I can't speak to that, perhaps others can.

Lee deserving a major? The person that shoots the lowest score over 72 holes always gets my vote.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 25 Nov 2011, 8:29 am

I don't see this as a problem for the European tour at all. Westwood has said he'll be playing both tours so Europe are exact losing a player as such but the main reason I don't see it as an issue is that whilst yes he is in the upper echelons of the OGWR he is not the future of the tour.

With the likes of Kaymer remaining and looking like he maybe returning to form I think the tour has a better marquee and more marketable player in him long term than LW. The ET also has the likes of Noren & Manassero both young exciting players and both with the same number of regular tour wins as MciLroy already in their young careers, then there's the likes of Pavan, Fleetwood etc coming through as promising young talent. I think with those types of players coming through the ET can remain stronger than the PGA tour in future especially if Dim Finchem gets his way and stops Q School qualifiers going straight to the regular tour.

Also its looking increasingly likely Casey could be returning to these shores as a full time player obviously this is dependant on whether he applies for special exemption to PGA tour.

Maybe Lee looked at Luuuuke and thought if he can top both sides of the pond as well as the world why can't I? If that is the case he's in for a let down as IMO Lukes made himself into a far superior player than LW has ever been.

Lastly it could be a move by team Chubby to say to the world and McIlroy look we do let our players choose to play PGA tour full time and market them over there. One things for sure LW's previous comments about the FedEx are now making him looking hypocritical as he said he wouldn't play in it as its purely a money making scheme and now he wants to play it!..

I hope LW well and wish him the best in his travels on the PGA tour, but I feel it'll be an empty year for him and one which will see him move down the rankings and certainly won't be a major anytime soon if ever

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 25 Nov 2011, 10:42 am

I dont think the European Tour is as strong as the PGA. What will always happen is that the Amercians wont leave their tour, they will attract the cream of the ROW players and a fair few of the best Europeans. I cant really see why this would change in the foreseeable future.
It will be interesting to see how long Kaymer stays over here, I think he will go full time on the PGA tour withing 2-3 years. Same with Manassero.
Personally I prefer having the big players over there all competing against each other, including Westwood, its just Im not sure that for him its a good move.
I dont watch golf live only on TV so it doesnt make a difference where they play to me, in fact I prefer the US events as I can watch in the evenings rather than during the day.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 25 Nov 2011, 10:46 am

The only time the European Tour will be affected, in Europe anyway, is in the events Lee played opposite the FedEx Play-offs this year, Switzerland, Holland and, depending on timing, possibly the Dunhilll Links. I'd imagine he'd retain the early season Gulf events, but avoid the pot-hunting trip to Asia in May. Perhaps the MatchPlay might have to go.

Wonder if Chandler and his guys fellt they'd taken on the PGA Tour and lost, as far as mitigating the penalty incurred by Rory and Lee for renouncing the Tour membership?

As far as the strength of the European Tour is concerned, that will be determined by how well (and often?) the established players compete: Kaymer, Molinaris, Jimenez, Gonzo and Quiros, Matteo, Hansen and Bjorn, Hanson, Dyson, Casey of course the wildcard. Not too many GB&I golfers on that list - time for the twenty-somethings to come through.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 25 Nov 2011, 10:48 am

The time is ripe for a "world tour"....

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 25 Nov 2011, 12:22 pm

I'm not sure it's stronger Diggers, I think it might have a few more of the "top" players, but I think there is slightly more strength in depth in Europe. There is undoubtedly more money in the PGA though, which is what I really think swings it for people making the switch.

What certainly is a benefit of the European tour is that the coverage is infinitely more watchable. The PGA is truly a wretched insular watch.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 25 Nov 2011, 12:26 pm

Davie wrote:The time is ripe for a "world tour"....
Yeah, as long as it's in America Whistle. At least I'm sure that's Dim will think.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by SpacemanSpiff Fri 25 Nov 2011, 12:43 pm

GT350 wrote:Wow, some short memories on here, or am I mistaken? I seem to recall all kinds of applause not too long ago for Westwoods "patriotic" and "family first" decision to side with the "stronger" European Tour. Seems like now the kids are all of 1 year older (or thereabouts), it is now a better time to play Stateside?
Didn't Mr. Westwood also make some disparaging remarks about McIlroy's recent decision to return to the US, or was that just the press?
I think the truth is that they have both realised that life is all too short and the US is where their best chance of golfing and financial success is.
Both tours have some brilliant players and anything that means we get to watch stronger fields in 2012 has to be good.

GT - I think Lee's comments were more about moving sticks and basing yourself permanantly in the States. This is a good compromise. Save an overnight flight home from the States ( he may even work in taking the family if the timings right) he's not away from home much longer. So what if he changes his mind. Everyone is entitled to do that surely, hardly a crime. I'd also think any remarks to Rory are more likely to be a bit tongue in cheek as they are good friends.

SpacemanSpiff

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 25 Nov 2011, 12:46 pm

Maverick wrote: ... Lastly it could be a move by team Chubby to say to the world and McIlroy look we do let our players choose to play PGA tour full time and market them over there. ...

Odd, I'd always been under the impression the agent worked for the player. Whistle

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 25 Nov 2011, 12:50 pm

GT350 wrote:Wow, some short memories on here, or am I mistaken? I seem to recall all kinds of applause not too long ago for Westwoods "patriotic" and "family first" decision to side with the "stronger" European Tour. Seems like now the kids are all of 1 year older (or thereabouts), it is now a better time to play Stateside?

Of course, it could just be that Westy feels he has something to prove.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Fri 25 Nov 2011, 1:03 pm

Some of the top European's love to play in the US (i.e. Luke, Poulter).

Other top European's prefer to play some events in the US, but find the minumum number for a tour member too much and the maximum number of a non-tour member not enough.

I think Westwood falls into the later category. When he keeps his US card he gets fed-up after a few years but then when he doesn't he feels he is missing out in some of the top[ tournaments.

Why not have spells doing one then the other to suit your life at a given time.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 25 Nov 2011, 1:06 pm

Tim, dim? Hardly. He's convinced his bosses he's worth millions a year (5 I think at last count). And he's really got one mission: to promote and preserve the PGA tour events the sponsors and networks are on the hook for.

A bigger and stronger World Tour will inevitably develop. Look for Tim (and any replacement of his) to go down swinging.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 25 Nov 2011, 1:06 pm

Can't see the point of a world tour as many of the US players are too insular to support it and would not want to be outside the states for more than a week.

Plus the ET is virtually a world tour these days anyway you only have to look at the destinations incorporated as sanctioned events, The whole of continental europe, GB&I, China, Malaysia(dodgy spelling), Qatar, Dubai, South Africa, India, virtually all the middle east and thow in majors and WGC's then the only destinations the ET doesn't cover is South America and Australia.

So we basically already have the package and that's what Dims worried about if more PGA tour guys supported europe then he will be one to lose out

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next