The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Containing the Blue Tsunami.

+3
Gaelic-Warrior
RebelBhoy
Ar aghaidh le cheile
7 posters

Go down

Containing the Blue Tsunami. Empty Containing the Blue Tsunami.

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:06 pm

Dublin latest document 'unleashing the blue wave'.
Seeks provincial status for the dubs in terms of finances, a permenant seat on the gaa management committee and a bigger share of gate money. The targets expressed for this is a sam every 3 years and a liam every 5 years. Without engaging in dub bashing what does the rest of the country think.

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Containing the Blue Tsunami. Empty Re: Containing the Blue Tsunami.

Post by RebelBhoy Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:50 am

They are entitled to fight their corner.

They shouldn't be given any more of a leg up though
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:11 pm

What kind of head cases are running the show in Dublin? Sure they get the largest gates and undoubtedly contribute massively to the organisation and they can blow their trumpet about that, but this special treatment!?

The "blue wave" is starting to become the pathetic wee blue stain, between this and paranoid slagging of Leinster rugby. Why should Dublin get preferential treatment over other counties regardless of their population and crowds. Even Gilroy thinks a sam every 3 years is unpractical and that there's no need to stick the boot into other sports. A Dub Sam every 3 years, boring!

Holy Poopie, one Sam in 16 years and its gone to their heads!
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:25 pm

Croke Park is the GAA's HQ and not the home ground of the Dubs, so any takings from games there ought to be distributed equally around the counties. Supporting the Dubs is easy when they don't even have to leave the city. Try traipising up-and-down the country in support of your team. Besides, who has been topping up HQs coffers for decades? I would suggest Munster in hurling and all the provinces in football and not forgetting the contribution of duel counties like Cork & Galway. I'd love to see a breakdown of income per county in both codes.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:33 pm

Theese people are idiot's I think you have to be an idiot to get a high up in the g.a.a they are totally out of touch with reality.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:39 pm

bluemoda wrote:Croke Park is the GAA's HQ and not the home ground of the Dubs, so any takings from games there ought to be distributed equally around the counties. Supporting the Dubs is easy when they don't even have to leave the city. Try traipising up-and-down the country in support of your team. Besides, who has been topping up HQs coffers for decades? I would suggest Munster in hurling and all the provinces in football and not forgetting the contribution of duel counties like Cork & Galway. I'd love to see a breakdown of income per county in both codes.

Erm Dublin fan's will alway's travel to away game's in large number's especially in the champ, it's not our fault Dublin are the g.a.a s cash cow and they alway's want us to play in Croke park so they can get the most money out of it.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Do Dublin travel away? Aren't all their quaters and semis played in Dublin? Apart from one game in Thurles some years ago, I can't for the life of me, remember them playing anywhere else but at HQ, or maybe they have just become synonymous in peoples' minds with Croke Park. Containing the Blue Tsunami. 3187153522 Anyway, the cash cows of the GAA...?? Don't believe it. I want proof.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:25 pm

I have done my fair share of squabbling about the money given to promote GAA in Dublin. Take away the advantages at the top level, how do you ensure promotion of the games in Dublin that maintains the perception of games for the ordinary joe and the establishment and survival of decent size gaa units where there is no historic roots.

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:58 pm

See last Monday's thread - Dublin GAA. Straight from the weekends newspapers

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:47 pm

bluemoda wrote:Do Dublin travel away? Aren't all their quaters and semis played in Dublin? Apart from one game in Thurles some years ago, I can't for the life of me, remember them playing anywhere else but at HQ, or maybe they have just become synonymous in peoples' minds with Croke Park. Containing the Blue Tsunami. 3187153522 Anyway, the cash cows of the GAA...?? Don't believe it. I want proof.

When Dublin are asked to travel by the g.a.a they are happy to do it and the fan's are happy to travel too it's just they don't get asked very often because they can bring so many fan's to Croke park and can earn more money if they are playing in Croke park.
If you don't believe Dublin bring in the most money then that's fair enough but I'd love to hear who you think bring's in more. Take into consideration the g.a.a get a cut of every Dublin jersey sold and take into consideration they have filled Croke park for first round Leinster game's in the past it's pretty obvious they generate the most income by a distance.

dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:15 pm

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/eugene-mcgee/eugene-mcgee-gaa-can-reap-rewards-of-catching-dubs-blue-wave-2940442.html

This article show's the crazy figure's of income Dublin bring to the g.a.a and why it is totally in the g.a.as interest to have strong Dublin team's.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:42 pm

Perhaps it might have something to do with all their games played in Dublin. Imagine if Cork, Kerry, Tipp, Galway or Kilkenny could play ALL their matches at home, they too could generate lots more money. From the start Dublin have an unfair advantage and should remember this before making demands.

Are Dublin jumping on the fact that all of the grounds across the county are having their capacity reduced, due to health and safety measures. Some of the smaller grounds are losing up to 50% of their capacity? Who's going to recompense these counties? Perhaps it's time for the GAA to bring some of the other bigger grounds up to standard so they too can make more money and take their fair share of the really big games. When Dublin travel in numbers, perhaps their demands can be looked at again.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:06 pm

bluemoda wrote:Perhaps it might have something to do with all their games played in Dublin. Imagine if Cork, Kerry, Tipp, Galway or Kilkenny could play ALL their matches at home, they too could generate lots more money. From the start Dublin have an unfair advantage and should remember this before making demands.

Are Dublin jumping on the fact that all of the grounds across the county are having their capacity reduced, due to health and safety measures. Some of the smaller grounds are losing up to 50% of their capacity? Who's going to recompense these counties? Perhaps it's time for the GAA to bring some of the other bigger grounds up to standard so they too can make more money and take their fair share of the really big games. When Dublin travel in numbers, perhaps their demands can be looked at again.

FFS i've explained TWICE why the g.a.a want Dublin playing in Croke park but your obviuolsy not interested in the facts so I don't know what else to say . Good luck, and the proof you were looking for is in that article.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:29 pm

The GAA want Dublin to play in Croke Park it's a no brainer, they bring in the biggest amount of money so should play in the biggest staidum. What they're asking for know is a loa of rubbish though. It shows complete arrogance.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:27 pm

Even as a supporter of Dublin's bitterest enemies I know the Dubs are the cash cows of the GAA, Moda. Apart from dublfcynwa's article the proof is in common sense- 20% of Ireland's population live in the capital and surrounding county- therefore they will bring in the biggest crowds to Croker on average and sell the most merchandise. That's why they're mostly at HQ.

Good point on the Slattery report though, an overhaul of the county grounds has been long overdue. Pairc Tailteann is having its capacity cut further from 20K or so to around 10K and plans to bring down PUC from its current 43K odds to just 20K. Meaning an obvious loss on gates making Dublin's demands even more out of order.

Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:44 pm

Dont want to appear superior but most grounds in Ulster hold at least 18,000. As a matter of interest I assume Parnell Park is the Dubs real county ground, what does it hold.

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:48 pm

Parnell holds about 13K I think, mostly used for NFL games as far as I've seen.
Don't know yet how Ulster grounds are being affected by the report, they look no better than the rest of the country's stadiums- mostly never seen a lick of paint. Quite like Armagh's swanky new stadium though.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:05 pm

There have been major developments at Healy, Pairc Esler and the Athletic Grounds. Casement has 60 million in the pot for development. The grounds that need some work are Ballybofey, Clones, Brewster and to a lesser extent Breffeni. I still think Ulster is in much better shape than others.
With some competition from the soccer next summer it will be interesting to see how many loyal dubs turn out for the early rounds if there is any kind of clash.
As regards cash cows if there are so many dub fans why doesnt the gaa milk it and have quarters featuring the dubs as a stand alone fixture. Maybe the 'real' support isnt that big.

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:14 pm

I personaly don't see the point in reducing the capacity of the Paric being reduced in that report when its already going to happen when its being redevoloped. A bit pointless really.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:21 pm

Ulster still needs a bit of work though, Ballybofey is the biggest dump in the province- dour like the football on show, problem with Breffeni is it always seems 75% empty whenever its on telly. A redeveloped Casement park would be great.

The GAA already get a ton off the Dubs and hopefully wont risk competitiveness in the championship through greed. In Dublin I think they payed last time Ireland qualified for a major soccer tourney, a ridiculous situation where games started in empty grounds then fans started pouring in after the soccer finished. With Irish success every sport seems to have bandwagoners, will be interesting to see if they avoid fixture clashes next year.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:25 pm

Irish Curry wrote:I personaly don't see the point in reducing the capacity of the Paric being reduced in that report when its already going to happen when its being redevoloped. A bit pointless really.

Don't know most details of the report but I think its for health and safety in its current state. Reducing capacity before work goes ahead. Apparently some of the grounds are a god-damn disgrace- http://hoganstand.com/Meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=158376
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:42 pm

I think it would just be better to leave it to the redevolopment of PUC but in other cases its most certainly the right choice for health and safety reasons
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:51 pm

PUC shouldn't be in too bad a shape as far as safety is concerned, wasn't some work done on it a few years ago?

The latest muck from the Dub board is a nonsense regardless, the GAA should put some of that Dub cash-cow money into stadium re-development in other counties. Besides, everyone knows that we're already the fifth province anyway! Wink
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:10 am

PUC is a sh!thole an accident waiting to happen there.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:06 pm

Thomond wrote:PUC is a sh!thole an accident waiting to happen there.

Yep. Extremely lucky nobody has been killed.
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:52 pm

[quote="RebelBhoy"][quote="Thomond"]PUC is a sh!thole an accident waiting to happen there.[/quote]

Yep. Extremely lucky nobody has been killed. [/quote]

I agree but if they want to reduce the capacity now then the redovelopment work should just be brought forward instead.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:11 pm

FFS i've explained TWICE why the g.a.a want Dublin playing in Croke park but your obviuolsy not interested in the facts so I don't know what else to say . Good luck, and the proof you were looking for is in that article.[/quote]

Really Dub, where in that article does it give a breakdown on tickets to each county, allocated and sold? Where does it give an overall breakdown of official attendances, county-by-county? Dublin don't play against themselves you know. It appears to be an overall figure only. For all we know half the tickets could have been sold to the other fans and also, do the figures include the final? We don't know, because the article doesn't say. If it does include the final, it shouldn't as that's a sell out anyway, regardless of who is playing. Dublin should be given no credit there. If this is the route Dublin are going to take, then the Munster council should demand funds from HQ to bring PUC and Semple Stadium up to scratch and I mean a top class stadiums, 60,000 all-seater, nothing less and then demand that all the big hurling games are played between them, execpt the final. They have a good argument as Munster is the heart and soul of hurling and most of the other hurling counties outside Munster are nearer to Cork than Dublin. The Munster council should then should divvy the proceeds amongst all the hurling counties only. One All-Ireland in 16 years just makes Dublin this years champions, nothing more. Will they be champions in 2012 and 2013? Somehow I doubt it. Compare and contrast that to Cork. In 12 years they have reached 4 finals in hurling, won 3, two finals in football, won 1. That's 6 finals in 12 years and yet Cork fans bemoan the state of their GAA. Who were the cash cows then? Did Cork miss a golden opportunity to demand extra funds as Dublin are doing now with their 1 All-Ireland. When Dublin get anywhere near Cork's success, maybe then they can start making demands. Until then they should shut STFU.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:31 pm

Unsurprisingly, the Dublin County Board want a far greater share of revenue from the matches they are involved in, because of their immense money-generating power.

In 2009, the average gate receipts for a senior championship match in Leinster, other than those involving Dublin, was €107,000. For Dublin games, that figure was €1.2m.

Yet, the modest expenses paid out to Dublin were little more than those paid to other counties.

If Dublin are not in a Leinster football final, the drop in income is about €1m.

It is hard for people in other parts of Ireland to appreciate the enormous figures concerning GAA activities in Dublin. I have often heard of major clubs on both sides of the Liffey fielding up to 70 teams, mostly underage.

One official figure in this report tells us that 24pc of all juvenile teams in Leinster are from Dublin; for adult teams the figure is 18.4pc. Yet, there are hundreds of thousands of households in Dublin where children know nothing about Gaelic football or hurling
......................................................................................................................................
Did'nt read that part then no?? it's common knowledge that Dublin are BY FAR the g.a.a's biggest earner's I actually agree with you on most of the stuff your saying but you keep saying Dublin should play away form Croke Park and suggesting they have some unfair advantage, well the g.a.a make the fixture's and tell you where you are playing Dublin don't decide where they play. And I don't know where you are getting this rubbish that Dublin are hogging all the money and are the reason that all the satadium's are in a heap the stadium's are in a heap because the county board's in the county's with run down stadium's have let their own stadium's become neglected over year's. Dublin revamped Parnell a few year's back out of their own pocket, why can't Cork do this if they wan't a new stadium or they wan't to revamp PUC, they are a big county that have had success.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Again, these are gate receipts, not a breakdown of actual numbers of supporters by county. It's an assumption (probably right) that it's mostly paying Dublin supporters. Also, I never suggested that Dublin play away, only that they never have to. GAA will always go for the best financial option and that option favours Dublin, that's what I was saying. I don't disagree with this as it's an amatuer organization and profits have mostly been divvied up fairly evenly between all counties. Now, on-the-other hand, Dublin are asking for a greater share and are asking the other 31 counties, (to their own detriment), to boost Dublin's coffers so they can build up the GAA in Dublin. Even if they are successful in their demands - what's the guarantee of success? Answer, none whatsoever. Most counties have a strategic plans going forward, are they too to receive extra funding because their argument is every bit as valid as Dublins. Dublin will just have to do it the way every other county has had to do it, finance themselves.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:36 pm

And they are financing it themselves with the money they are getting form Vodafone. All they are doing is saying if we have 1/5th of the population in one county then why are we only getting the same as everyone else. I personally don't agree with it because they can get more money through sponsorship but they are well within their right's to ask for it, they are only sticking up for themselves, the g.a.a wanted to do this years ago and the were laughed at, it's going to happpen some day imo especially with the population of Dublin getting bigger and bigger.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:25 pm

All the top counties have good sponsorship and are mostly self-financing. The road Dublin are seeking to go down is a dangerous one. It stands to reason that other counties will follow suit and funds then will to be divided in order of population size and/or success. What's left in the kitty for the little counties with little populations? Are they to be cast aside. The entire combined populations of Leitrm, Cavan and Fermanagh would just about fill CP. Dublin aren't sticking up for themselves, they are attempting to bully the GAA while the going is good. Why didn't they make these demands last year? Why, because they had won jacks--t in 16 years and jacks--t could also be the result in years to come even if millions is given to them. If Dublin want to reach all it's population then all they have to do is win, win and win some more.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:54 pm

bluemoda wrote:All the top counties have good sponsorship and are mostly self-financing. The road Dublin are seeking to go down is a dangerous one. It stands to reason that other counties will follow suit and funds then will to be divided in order of population size and/or success. What's left in the kitty for the little counties with little populations? Are they to be cast aside. The entire combined populations of Leitrm, Cavan and Fermanagh would just about fill CP. Dublin aren't sticking up for themselves, they are attempting to bully the GAA while the going is good. Why didn't they make these demands last year? Why, because they had won jacks--t in 16 years and jacks--t could also be the result in years to come even if millions is given to them. If Dublin want to reach all it's population then all they have to do is win, win and win some more.

What a load of total bull. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about, do the other top counties have a fifth of the population? no i did'nt think so, discussion over.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Do Dublin have the success of other counties, even with a fifth of the population? Perhaps the money should be divided up in order of success. Opps, Dublin to get nothing. Try a reasoned discussion but that's obviously beyond your meagre intelligence.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Laugh Your questioning my intelligence and yet you can't seem to comprehend that THERE IS A LOT MORE PEOPLE IN DUBLIN THAN THERE IS IN ANY OTHER COUNTY.

Yes let's divide the money based on sucesss, what a wonderful idea, then the smaller counties that you have been crowing about will get nothing.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:53 pm

Half the population of my county have no interest in the games for obvious reasons, can we still have the money.
Where did all the new population of Dublin come from, is it safe to assume that if they have had no interest its likely they will continue to have no interest therefore wasted money.
With one fifth of the population do they intend to remain with one county team. Seems to me there will be a lot of frustrated players spilling out into neighbouring counties. Plastic meath men, louth men and if they come north for the shopping plastic Down men, we are only an hour away.

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:45 am

Ar aghaidh le cheile wrote:Half the population of my county have no interest in the games for obvious reasons, can we still have the money.
Where did all the new population of Dublin come from, is it safe to assume that if they have had no interest its likely they will continue to have no interest therefore wasted money.
With one fifth of the population do they intend to remain with one county team. Seems to me there will be a lot of frustrated players spilling out into neighbouring counties. Plastic meath men, louth men and if they come north for the shopping plastic Down men, we are only an hour away.

I don't agree with what they are asking for they get enough through sponsorship. My point is the money is being dished out even at the moment (according to that article) and it would make more sense if the county's with larger populations got maybe a little bit extra to promote the games as they would have a larger amount of kid's play the games. For example Leitrim has a pop of roughly 30000, Dublin has over a million now im not sure on who get's what exactly when they are dishing out money but it would be a bit stupid if Leitrim got the same as Dublin.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:34 pm

If anything in that case Leitrim should get more, Dublin would be more then able to surrive on sponsership (Not saying they should have to, they shouldn't but the could) Dublins population is going to cause all sorts of problems rightly or wrongly down the line in every aspect of this country and the GAA. Gving money to those best equiped to raise it themselves is not the road we should go down.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:56 pm

Irish Curry wrote:If anything in that case Leitrim should get more, Dublin would be more then able to surrive on sponsership (Not saying they should have to, they shouldn't but the could) Dublins population is going to cause all sorts of problems rightly or wrongly down the line in every aspect of this country and the GAA. Gving money to those best equiped to raise it themselves is not the road we should go down.

Ha yeah give Leitrim all the money and they can invest in a new tumble weed or something.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down