The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys chief Mike Cuddy bemoans Liberty Stadium attendances

+25
Cardiff Dave
lostinwales
BridgendBoyo
HammerofThunor
Metal Tiger
red_stag
bedfordwelsh
Cari
Breadvan
Coleman
wayne
Smirnoffpriest
doctor_grey
Shifty
LondonTiger
Valleyboy
flyhalffactory
Cymroglan
BigTrevsbigmac
Seagultaf
offload
maestegmafia
justified sinner
Casartelli
slartibartfast
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ospreys chief Mike Cuddy bemoans Liberty Stadium attendances Empty Ospreys chief Mike Cuddy bemoans Liberty Stadium attendances

Post by slartibartfast Sat 26 Nov 2011, 5:37 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15898046.stm

What's your view?

my thoughts...

1. £16 quid is too much to watch disjointed half hearted gumf in a souless stadium
2. ....

there isn't a 2

update... there is a 2. It can be a shocker to get to and from by car, taxi or train.

Last edited by slartibartfast on Sat 26 Nov 2011, 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : this was a 2)
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Ospreys chief Mike Cuddy bemoans Liberty Stadium attendances Empty Re: Ospreys chief Mike Cuddy bemoans Liberty Stadium attendances

Post by Casartelli Sat 26 Nov 2011, 7:07 pm

How many travelled to Galway tonight?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Ospreys chief Mike Cuddy bemoans Liberty Stadium attendances Empty Re: Ospreys chief Mike Cuddy bemoans Liberty Stadium attendances

Post by justified sinner Sat 26 Nov 2011, 8:22 pm

slartibartfast wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15898046.stm

What's your view?

my thoughts...

1. £16 quid is too much to watch disjointed half hearted gumf in a souless stadium
2. ....

there isn't a 2

update... there is a 2. It can be a shocker to get to and from by car, taxi or train.

Get real Pro rugby is good value. If you don't want to pay go back to your local team and watch them play on a pitch covered with dog turds.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Nov 2011, 9:14 pm

£16 isn't that expensive and you'll only improve the atmosphere by enough people being there and getting behind them.

Or you could spend £16 down the pub and just whinge.

Last edited by SafeAsMilk on Sat 26 Nov 2011, 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Nov 2011, 9:17 pm

£16 is perfectly reasonable, nothing wrong with that.

Atmosphere is what needs to be worked on, and that's a difficult thing to improve. Their marketing team needs to come up with the goods. WHy not have themed nights? Scarlets had a student night last night. The Blues often have ladies' days etc. Okay not brilliantly successful, but it's still better then not doing anything other then complaining.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Nov 2011, 9:23 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:The Blues often have ladies' days etc. Okay not brilliantly successful
I hope you're not saying there are no 'ladies' in the Cardiff area! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Nov 2011, 9:28 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:The Blues often have ladies' days etc. Okay not brilliantly successful
I hope you're not saying there are no 'ladies' in the Cardiff area! Wink

laughing

seriously though the other regions do seem to be trying to change things up to attract more fans. Are the O's atually doing anything like that?

I still maintain £16 is reasonable.

I've just been buying ticket for the Scarlets away game in Munster at Thomond Park. Terracing is £27 and the cheapest seating tickets are £36*. When you compare the prices we have to pay in Wales, we've got it very good in comparison.

* I don't know whether they increase prices for Heineken games??

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 26 Nov 2011, 9:59 pm

Biggest problem is that it is too expensive for families. £16 each for two adults, kids often go free, but it is the added, food, drinks, parking and petrol make it nearly a hundred quid to watch a match for some up our way. That is too expensive.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:29 am

We need to be careful talking about these prices as too expensive (I realise that the cost of extras can add up). Are we really saying that the region can't afford pro rugby? We couldn't afford 5 regions so perhaps we can't afford 4? As it is we are relying on wealthy benefactors to support our regions.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:44 am

Any Osprey fans out there know if there is any truth in the rumour about Cuddy's involvement in the Island Farm development?

A friend who uses Llandarcy Sports to train his junior soccer team told me that he had heard that the Swans were looking to increase the Liberty capacity by 7500 and that the Ospreys would be moving out.

This would certainly explain why the plans for Island Farm include a 15000 capacity stadium which, according to the web site is for use by Bridgend AFC and Bridgend Ravens! See the link below.

http://www.islandfarm.tv/about-us/

A 15000 stadium would be perfect for the Ospreys.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:07 am

Seagultaf wrote:Any Osprey fans out there know if there is any truth in the rumour about Cuddy's involvement in the Island Farm development?

A friend who uses Llandarcy Sports to train his junior soccer team told me that he had heard that the Swans were looking to increase the Liberty capacity by 7500 and that the Ospreys would be moving out.

This would certainly explain why the plans for Island Farm include a 15000 capacity stadium which, according to the web site is for use by Bridgend AFC and Bridgend Ravens! See the link below.

I've never heard of this development, sounds interesting. Is it feasible for the Ospreys to share with Bridgend?

offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:21 am

What they need is a good 'stand up' song like Sarries Shocked

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:26 am

Relocate to North Wales

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 10:26 am

Maybe they're starting to realise that club rugby just isnt popular anymore, growing up in Cardiff I knew that nearly everyone around my age loved football and didnt enjoy club rugby.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:00 pm

offload wrote:We need to be careful talking about these prices as too expensive (I realise that the cost of extras can add up). Are we really saying that the region can't afford pro rugby? We couldn't afford 5 regions so perhaps we can't afford 4? As it is we are relying on wealthy benefactors to support our regions.

No I think it is far more to do with local economics. Swansea and its surrounding area is not a wealthy area. I also remember reading that a large majority of the Rugby fans that support the Ospreys but rarely attend games in preference of watching them on TV or highlights did so because they have young families and there money has to go on more valuable things.

I dont really know who the ospreys are aiming their marketing at... I rarely see anything advertised that encourages me to head down I can afford to own a season ticket, so can most of my friends, we are all in the 55 plus age group and have more disposable income. We are also keen rugby fans.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:12 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
offload wrote:We need to be careful talking about these prices as too expensive (I realise that the cost of extras can add up). Are we really saying that the region can't afford pro rugby? We couldn't afford 5 regions so perhaps we can't afford 4? As it is we are relying on wealthy benefactors to support our regions.

No I think it is far more to do with local economics. Swansea and its surrounding area is not a wealthy area. I also remember reading that a large majority of the Rugby fans that support the Ospreys but rarely attend games in preference of watching them on TV or highlights did so because they have young families and there money has to go on more valuable things.

I dont really know who the ospreys are aiming their marketing at... I rarely see anything advertised that encourages me to head down I can afford to own a season ticket, so can most of my friends, we are all in the 55 plus age group and have more disposable income. We are also keen rugby fans.

Maesteg old bean

You are spot on there
Cuddy is very limited on the commercial and technical front (he fronted and craved for a "cool britania, beckhamesque, perma-tanned, low brow, sun newspaper audience), the marketing people he has employed also are very limited and bought into this concept ..... suprise suprise it didnt work, however there are areas of Swansea and outlying areas that are very cash rich and also some very loyal "traditional" rugby bases and it is these areas that the "sports marketing gurus" should be actively encouraging ............. not after the "flavour of the month, pink cowboy hat brigade"
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Valleyboy Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:37 pm

I want to know where to get the £16 tickets from!!!!
I've paid £20 for mine every home game this season ....and £1 for the kids. This is the cheapest available, from what I can see.
Not too bad but this is in the family area and the seats are not the greatest.

Promotion-wise, they do sometimes have a beer tent and a band before big games, I've enjoyed that but they don't advertise it that much.
They did advertise the 'food fair' but I thought it was a bit of a stretch to call a burger van a 'food fair' !!

I've enjoyed going to the Liberty this year, mostly because it's caught the imagination of my son and I now have someone to share it with.
However, the atmosphere is not great to say the least, the crowds need to be bigger and they need to work on the advertising to somehow make improvements.

Valleyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:42 pm

Well I don't know so much about the Perma tanned stuff... I don't see why anyone would promote that, I always saw it as a selfeffacing media trying to make something out of a small story while laying the origins at the clubs media department. When we say media dept, it is not some massive marketing power like the ones in central London, we are talking about a few young people in an office.

Anyhow...!

Free Transport, and Ospreys bus collecting and dropping off fans around the region. If i were to drive it takes me about twenty five minutes to get to the Liberty, if i were to use public transport it would take well over an hour. Pick us up so that we get to the game a half hour before, take us home an hour after. Charge a little for it.

Food concessions for families. FOr Example if your family have a family meal at a restaurant around the Liberty Stadium you get a hugely discounted ticket.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:42 pm

I wonder how many people travel from outlyingareas to Swansea for matches? If the people won't come to the Liberty stadium, perhaps more matches should be taken to Neath?

£16 for an Adult ticket is not a lot, and from what I can see it appears that you can get free kids tickets. Certainly it is much cheaper to watch Ospreys than Tigers. In fact while comparing the two, you would have thought that Swansea could provide decent attendances, being a similar sized city to Leicester.

However the public are not coming - so the club should try things. Re-inforce the regional link and provide coaches from other clubs to the Liberty stadium and back again. Set it up so that people can watch rugby at their local club either before or after the Ospreys game.

Provide free tickets to Swansea city season ticket holders. Get schools involved - free tickets for the kids so long as they bring at least 1 fee paying adult for every 2 kids etc etc.

There are things that can be done, but the management need to get of their arses and forge those links.

It is not easy however - as Sarries, LI, Sale, Leeds, Falcons etc have found.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:59 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Biggest problem is that it is too expensive for families. £16 each for two adults, kids often go free, but it is the added, food, drinks, parking and petrol make it nearly a hundred quid to watch a match for some up our way. That is too expensive.

Smack on right here, this is why attendences are rubbish, across all regions.

Firstly you don;t really have away fans, secondly the best players are rarely available, look at this season, we lost them for a third of the season for the world cup, the wru gives them 2 weeks off at the end of it, we get them back for 1 week, then lose them for another 2 for the friendly with Australia. We had a mix and match side for the Connacht game, I have no idea how we managed to win that away from home!

We'll have them back over christmas before losing them again during the 6 Nations.

The main reason though is money, the ticket prices are simply too much considering most people are now on benefits in Wales, added to that you can watch nearly all the games on tv for free and you have all the answers you need. You basically looking at about £40 as a single person to go, and that's with smuggling in your own food and drink.

The Ospreys are basically geared up towards season ticker holders only, £160 for the season for 17 games and a free jersey thrown in, which works out at £7 a game which is good, but you need to get people interested in the Ospreys first and no one is going to spend £40 to go there on the off chance they might enjoy it.

I thought Cuddy was a clever bloke but clearly if he took 10 minutes to read the Ospreys forum he might have a clue as to why so many people have turned their backs on going to the stadium.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 27 Nov 2011, 3:08 pm

Not trying to be provacative, but maybe the O's have still not built the fan base yet. I don't recall ever seeing them on tv playing in front of a full house, ever. I get there usually once per season and its always less than half full and kind of depressing.

Cost is a big issue, but I have to think there is something more than just that. Do they really engage with the local community? Players going to the schools and clubs? Special promotions for local non-Rugby organisations? Things like that. For a team in existance for a relatively short amount of time, have they worked their way into the hearts and minds? Its sad to see an empty stadium.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 3:14 pm

If a family budget is tight why not take a packed lunch rather than buying over-priced food and drinks at the ground? That would probably save the price of a ticket (and a damn sight healthier!).

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 27 Nov 2011, 3:21 pm

Surely this is a Regional Issue not an Ospreys one.

The crowds have always been relatively disappointing compared to the thriving French & English clubs.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 27 Nov 2011, 3:34 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Surely this is a Regional Issue not an Ospreys one.

The crowds have always been relatively disappointing compared to the thriving French & English clubs.

The English and French sides have been around for a long time. The regions came into being in 2003 when the WRU elected to reduce the current top tier of Welsh professional rugby union from nine clubs into five regions now it's four regions.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 27 Nov 2011, 3:52 pm

Cymroglan wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Surely this is a Regional Issue not an Ospreys one.

The English and French sides have been around for a long time. The regions came into being in 2003 when the WRU elected to reduce the current top tier of Welsh professional rugby union from nine clubs into five regions now it's four regions.

Yes quite but it's not only the Ospreys failing to attract crowds regularly its all the Regions

The English crowds have only really blossomed since professionalism & grown year on year more or less.

Last edited by BigTrevsbigmac on Sun 27 Nov 2011, 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition)

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 4:02 pm

The regions are struggling for crowds but one thing I will say is that the Scarlets' crowds are growing year on year. Not by much, and it's still not enough, but they are heading in the right direction.

The O's on the other hand are seeing a fall in attendances, and I'm not sure about the Blues and Dragons, I believe they are staying at about the same level.

I still don't buy that £16-£20 is too expensive for a ticket. You don't have to buy beer/food/match programme when you are there. I know I don't always do that when I go to PyS. So you've only got travel and ticket cost. That should be affordable for a lot more people than those that actually attend

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sun 27 Nov 2011, 4:17 pm

I know it's been said before but I do think that having so many games on TV has a negative impact on crowds. I'm lucky to have Sky and watch a lot of the English games and most weekends there is only one of the 6 games live on Sky. There seems to be more of the Welsh teams on BBC2 Wales or S4C.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 4:20 pm

I think a lot of people use the argument, "Oh, I'm not spending £15-20 on a ticket" and then they go down the pub to watch the game (or just to get drunk), spend double that on drink and a kebab and then complain about being disenfranchised.

It's about how you choose to spend your money.

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 27 Nov 2011, 4:27 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:The regions are struggling for crowds but one thing I will say is that the Scarlets' crowds are growing year on year. Not by much, and it's still not enough, but they are heading in the right direction.

The O's on the other hand are seeing a fall in attendances, and I'm not sure about the Blues and Dragons, I believe they are staying at about the same level.

I still don't buy that £16-£20 is too expensive for a ticket. You don't have to buy beer/food/match programme when you are there. I know I don't always do that when I go to PyS. So you've only got travel and ticket cost. That should be affordable for a lot more people than those that actually attend
Afternoon/evening Dream,
When I go to Liberty, the feeling for me is a bit, well, sterile. Compared to PyS where there is someting going on, a little electricity in the air, or something like that. I don't think its the O's supporters who are there, but something about the place. With more people in the seats, I think the place could go bananas.

So whats the problem? Not enough supporters? People watching on tv at home or in the pubs? People who are still against the whole regional concept? If they want to be viable in the long run and contribute to Wales, they need more supporters attending. What player in his right mind wants to play in a morgue?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 4:28 pm

Like rugbydreamer I don't buy that £16-£20 is too expensive - as it costs about £8 to go to the cinema - a tenner to go bowling - to see Cardiff City it's £22 at least, there are few activities cheaper than a tenner.

I regularly go down to PyS to watch the Scarlets, but as I live in Cardiff and sometimes can't - because of bad public transport, time or too much work to afford to travel - I do go down and watch the other regions, well the Dragons and the Blues because both stadiums are pretty easy for me to get to (Dragons very close to station and Blues, well I live in Cardiff and there's good bus links). While I never go down to the Liberty as it's such a pain to get to and there's nothing around it. (PS I don't drive)

But the suggestions above are what's needed - aggresive marketing at youngsters and traditional rugby hotspots, engagement with the wider region, initiatives to make it easier to come to games and build links with the local clubs. It'll take time but it's working slowly with the Scarlets.

I also don't think it's as big a problem as AlynDavies says about loosing internationals, it's frustrating and annoying sure - but if you replace these players with fresh, passionate, talented youngsters (Webb, Morgan, Tupric) then the crowd identifies with these up and coming youngsters and builds a stronger bond and optimisim for the future when these players have matured

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 4:31 pm

Doc_Grey - I get that feeling everytime I go to the City of Cardiff stadium even though (as far as I'm aware) the Blues have the highest average attendance of the regions.

I think it's modern multipurpose stadiums - especially ones that have been made bigger than necessary for football teams.

But there are ways around it - and I'm just shocked at how little the Ospreys did to capatalise on their popularity of a few years ago when they sold huge amounts of shirts.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 27 Nov 2011, 4:32 pm

Well what could they do at your region to attract more or your friends to go and watch?

I asked earlier...

https://www.606v2.com/t19086-what-do-you-want-from-your-club

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 27 Nov 2011, 4:39 pm

From someone who was a season ticket holder for 5 years, from when the Ospreys moved to the Liberty, they ran buses from points in the extreme East, North and around the rest of the Region, for I think 3 seasons for about £5 return, I used the Bridgend bus on a number of occasions but as at the time I was transporting my 2 Grandchildren, it was cheaper to drive. The Ospreys had a number of schemes involving local clubs, buying I believe 20 match tickets and they would supply a bus, it was very rarely if ever taken up.
This season has seen a change in the direction of the Ospreys in going out into the Community on a much more regular basis, the junior section of my local club has had 2 players on 3 seperate occasions, Ian Evans was at one the morning after a Saturday Evening match, these were asked for by a few on our forum for quite a period beforehand, this will not have an immediate effect on attendances but I believe will eventually increase them.
I've had heart problems for the last season and a half, but I made it down for the Biarritz game and the atmosphere was miles better than it appeared to be on Sky for only a 7000 + crowd.
To finish I don't think the Ospreys can do much more than they alredy do, but with the Community initiative and low Season ticket + kids initiative things will get better.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 27 Nov 2011, 4:43 pm

I try and get to as many region games as possible and to get there it's at least a four hour drive for me.
Fortunately I'm in a position that I can afford the cost of the fuel tickets and hotel but the biggest problem is getting the time off for the Friday evening matches.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 27 Nov 2011, 4:54 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Doc_Grey - I get that feeling everytime I go to the City of Cardiff stadium even though (as far as I'm aware) the Blues have the highest average attendance of the regions.

I think it's modern multipurpose stadiums - especially ones that have been made bigger than necessary for football teams.

But there are ways around it - and I'm just shocked at how little the Ospreys did to capatalise on their popularity of a few years ago when they sold huge amounts of shirts.
I get to the City of Cardiff jail, oops I mean Stadium, a couple of times each season as well. The atmosphere is somewhat better than at Liberty, but you might have something there. The new multi-purpose stadiums were designed and built by architects and not sports supporters. I don't think the idea of new multi-sport stadia and an inviting, unique design are incompatable. Its just they blew it with these two buildings. I think if is made interesting, a place to be, as it were, more people would want to go. But I still feel the clubs need to reach out aggressively to the local clubs, not just the larger ones but the grass roots. To me this is what Rugby is about, and where the interest comes from.

By the way, I sometimes get the same feeling going to a London Irish match in Reading. They do sometimes get more people, but seeeing all those empty seats is not good.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun 27 Nov 2011, 5:17 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:The regions are struggling for crowds but one thing I will say is that the Scarlets' crowds are growing year on year. Not by much, and it's still not enough, but they are heading in the right direction.

Fair point. Problem is that we've ended up with four teams that are, essentially, Llanelli, Swansea, Cardiff and Newport - and there is a finite amount of support that each town can generate. Interest elsewhere is reserved for the local club and the national team.

If the WRU can't devise a plan that makes the game truly regional, we'd be better off promoting the top 4 clubs from the Premiership to the Magners and HC every year.

Crowds would be the same, standards would be the same, but we'd save a ton of money that could be reinvested in developing young players.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 5:54 pm

The Blues (and I think Cardiff FC) do an interesting thing where in the family end they have a ball pool, bouncy castle, and X-Box's for the kids to play on and for some reason have the Urdd mascot there (even though I've never heard Welsh spoken at the stadium, none of the signs/advertising is in Welsh and none of the songs are Welsh).

But is all helps make more of a day of it and brings an extra something to the match day experience. The bus to the city centre is a good idea as well - it's just a shame that the Blues have such and up hill struggle as unless there's 16k+ fans in the stadium it looks empty

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sun 27 Nov 2011, 6:34 pm

Massive fan of the free bus from the stadium. Stops right by the Queens Vault. I think the Blues community out-reach is good. As every week the players are out in clubs/schools or at some sort of signing. There real problem seems to be marketing. Other then facebook, there advertising is very low impact. Also the stadium is too big for the fan base, as will be for the next 15/20 years if their growth pattern continues. They really need to get on the Radio and visual marketing more. As people around by me never know when they're playing.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sun 27 Nov 2011, 7:12 pm

As a ST holder at the Ospreys, I think Cudddy cannot do any more to improve attendances. The club has put on all kinds of stuff pre match to get people in yet still attendances are poor. People just cannot be bothered to go and if a game clashes with a premier league match, they'll rather watch that. Monte fisto on the old 606 was spot on when posting Wales is a football country and internationals at the MS are treated as days out on the pop.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 7:55 pm

Casartelli wrote:

Fair point. Problem is that we've ended up with four teams that are, essentially, Llanelli, Swansea, Cardiff and Newport - and there is a finite amount of support that each town can generate. Interest elsewhere is reserved for the local club and the national team.

If the WRU can't devise a plan that makes the game truly regional, we'd be better off promoting the top 4 clubs from the Premiership to the Magners and HC every year.

Crowds would be the same, standards would be the same, but we'd save a ton of money that could be reinvested in developing young players.

The thing is, Scarlets don't get half as much support from the people of Llanelli as they should due to the stink over the move from Stradey. A lot of Scarlets fans travel really far to make the home matches, a lot more then people realise I think. There's laods like me and Smirnoffpriest who make our way there from Cardiff, or like my Dad who lives about an hours drive away from Llanelli. It's really difficult to make the Friday evening games, Thursday's are out of the question and even Saturday and Sunday evenings are difficult for me due to poor public transport. I'm sure that's a big problem for a lot of the Scarlets travelling support as well.

One thing that has helped int he last couple of seasons at PyS to generate a better atmosphere is the buzz that's being generated by the young players coming through. And what's better is that they are home grown players from the region as well. They're so easy to get behind, and cheer, because you know where they've come from and there's a real sense of pride in what they're achieving. It's making it feel much more like true regional community. Players aren't just coming from Llanelli anymore. I think that's a step all the regions need to go down. Embrace the talent that's in the whole region, not just in the main town/cities.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 7:58 pm

Actually just reading back about the marketing issues with the Blues and Ospreys, the Scarlets are pretty poor that way too. Apart from a big sign on the way into Llanelli, there's nothing ever really advertised in Carmarthenshire anway (according to my parents). Surely there should be advertising everyhwere? Especially when the big games are due to be on?

Seems to be something all the regions really need to work on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:02 pm

Seagultaf wrote:Any Osprey fans out there know if there is any truth in the rumour about Cuddy's involvement in the Island Farm development?

Do you know the O's moving to a smaller stadium wouldn't be a bad thing. It would make the fixtures a bit easier to organise as well because they wouldn't have to move rugby matches to accommodate premiership footie. Would they really move to Bridgend though? That might upset the hardcore cause they were the Neath-Swansea Ospreys originally...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:12 pm

I still think the kick off times have a big impact on crowds, when was the last time any of the Regions actually played a 'normal' 2.30/3.00 kick off.

I guess saturday evenings are the best one to get to and should be able to attract decent crowds but Friday evenings and Sunday kick offs are awkward for fans to get to and from.

BUT the Regions are happy to take the tv revenue
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:13 pm

Bedford - the Scarlets have had a couple of 2:30 ko's but are schedule for Jan-March is dreadful, am going to really strugle to make many home matches at all.

I thought the TV revenue was the only money the regions got from the WRU?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:15 pm

Some of the kick off times are awkward. Personally I find late ones a bummer - and the Heino ones are usually much later to accommodate European TV coverage. It's a pain for people who want to travel to games. The last O's match I saw on Saturday afternoon was against Biarritz a couple of weeks ago.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:40 pm

Thats my point, I guess the majority of the games are now centred around tv scheduling with makes it difficult for fans to ge to certain games.

I have friends n family down H/West way and they find it virtually impossible to get to PYS for Friday night games
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:46 pm

Aye exactly, and think how difficult it is for fans to travel from Aberystwyth. The only feasable game they can make is a Saturday afternoon one. (there's three bus loads coming from there for the match against Munster on the 10th!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:50 pm

I wish there was a Welsh region within a 100 miles of me, many from North Wales go and watch Sale play.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:12 pm

It sounds like some people want picking up from their doorstop, free entry with beer and food laid on, before being tucked up in bed with a story or they won't go.

raspberry Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:31 pm

It would be easy to take some games out of PYS and out on the road to Aberystwyth, Carmarthen, Whitland etc. but they have no interest in being a true regional team. (This isn't a criticism only of the Scarlets - aside from the occasional half-hearted attempt by the Ospreys, none of them do it).

While they remain so intrinsically linked to their respective towns - the superclubs can only attract a limited amount of support, it doesn't matter how many bouncy castles or food fairs you have there, or what the ticket price is - or what time you have kick off.

And quarter-filled grounds are a nonsense. Nobody benefits from that farce.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next