The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer Wants Spain To Win The Davis Cup

+9
laverfan
break_in_the_fifth
wow
time please
bogbrush
noleisthebest
Tenez
coolpixel
hawkeye
13 posters

Go down

Federer Wants Spain To Win The Davis Cup Empty Federer Wants Spain To Win The Davis Cup

Post by hawkeye Sat 26 Nov 2011, 6:56 pm

In his on court interview after beating Ferrer today Federer pointed out that David's season wasn't yet over as he would be playing in the Davis Cup final for Spain next weekend. He then added "I hope they win".

I know Federer makes no secret of the fact that he admires Nadal. Still it will be funny to think of him at home next weekend cheering for him and his team.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Federer Wants Spain To Win The Davis Cup Empty Re: Federer Wants Spain To Win The Davis Cup

Post by coolpixel Sat 26 Nov 2011, 7:11 pm

I seriously doubt he watches tennis at home

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Federer Wants Spain To Win The Davis Cup Empty Re: Federer Wants Spain To Win The Davis Cup

Post by Tenez Sat 26 Nov 2011, 7:16 pm

You see HE, I actually think Federer keeps some "secrets" for himself and his closest entourage and might say something different to the millions of fans out there. I am not convinced he admires Nadal as much as we are being told. He said a few times that players like Rios and Nalbandian was the kind of tennis he liked best. Nadal is at the opposite of the spectrum. He has jsut seen Nadal being beaten 6 straight times by a player of his generation without Nadal being able to make an impression nor able to play differently and try something new. Federer has worked very hard to adapt his game to his new successful opponents, he found a way to beat them despite coming from a very different era style wise. Why woudl he admire Nadal who plays the same on all surfaces and whose game is so reliant on his physique?

Yes he respects the player and his achievements, but admire? I don't see how and why?

And what do you think he'd say about the DC had he just beaten Delpo or Nalby? "good luck next week, I hope they win". What else?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Sat 26 Nov 2011, 7:27 pm

Jeez tenez tone it down a bit

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 26 Nov 2011, 7:36 pm

I hope Argentina win, I really like all of their players.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 26 Nov 2011, 7:41 pm

He was being nice to David Ferrer after the match. That's all there was to it.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat 26 Nov 2011, 7:43 pm

coolpixel wrote:Jeez tenez tone it down a bit

What's wrong with my response?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 26 Nov 2011, 7:46 pm

"Yes he respects the player and his achievements, but admire? I don't see how and why? "

one of the reasons is their H2H, and Nadal being so dominant on clay, I remember Federer once let it slip (in Nadal's heyday when Nadal wash thrashing Federer on clay) that he can't beat him because Nadal plays with virtually 2 forehands (being artificially made a leftie only when playing tennis).
You've got to admire the player you fail to beat o the big stage. It's natural.
He may not hike his tennis, and privately probably hates it, but until he starts beating Nadal regularly on all surfaces like Novak, he'll have to keep quiet.

Federer has a very disdainful attitude towards Novak which was best seen recently when he went on about him being prim and proper and "earning" his point, an not a reckless "junior style player" going for lucky shots slapping a ball come what may.

Although Federer is a legend and has really done so much for tennis, he isn't the be all and end all.

I'm sure he has moments of realising it himself as he is no dummy, it's just in the heat of the moment after losing a big match you can say things you may regret.
Although Nadal's style looks like style pollution , you can't deny what he did with it.
Personally, I still can't get my head around how much he won and how he won it all, but he did it and that's a fact.

In the end, Federer won more slams, and should be happy with all he has achieved.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 26 Nov 2011, 7:52 pm

I remember Federer saying the same thing at USO last year when he lost to Novak.
It's a curteous thing to say to a player going to play DC final as they probably talk about it a lot in the locker room.

If he had played Delpo or any other Argentinian player he'd say the same. Just good manners.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 26 Nov 2011, 8:02 pm

I don't wish to be pedantic,but Fed actually said he hoped he (ferrer) would win Davis Cup - it was his 'bad luck,well played' acknowledgement of a gutsy opponent!

NITB - I really beg to differ - Fed has often spoken about Novak's form- pre AO 2009 when every hack was screaming about Murray, often said in 2010 that people forgot about Novak and pointed out how consistent he was (in lots of interviews I heard), spoke about asking Novak's advice on how to behave with the Queen at W 2010, and when he was teased that he should be telling Novak,he responded with a big smile and said well he looked as if he knew what he was doing. Yes of course there have been some moments,but there are many many more of mutual respect - Fed's comment about lucky shot this US Open was a little ungraceful,but I think it was said in the heat of disappointment, and that they both got over it - there are dozens of occasions this year when he has spoken graciously about Novak's wonderful season- I think he has the utmost respect for him even if there have been occasions when he should have just taken a deep breath before speaking.

It's a bit like the Murray/Fed war of words - I am not sure there would be one without the journo asking the questions of both men, stoking the trash talking for all its worth, or grabbing the achilles heel of disappointment or confidence just at the right moment!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sat 26 Nov 2011, 9:41 pm

Tenez wrote:

I don't see anythig wrong. And I too would love to see Delpo and co to get this one over spainiards. If Delpo beats rafa that too on clay, it is going to be icing on cake and another loss for Nadal which will make a mockery of his no. 2 rank in the world.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat 26 Nov 2011, 9:44 pm

wow wrote:
Tenez wrote:

I don't see anythig wrong. And I too would love to see Delpo and co to get this one over spainiards. If Delpo beats rafa that too on clay, it is going to be icing on cake and another loss for Nadal which will make a mockery of his no. 2 rank in the world.

Thanks wow! I'll vote for you! I'll find a field where you are the best! Wink

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sat 26 Nov 2011, 9:44 pm

nitb who do you support if nole is not playing, fed or nadal?

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sat 26 Nov 2011, 9:45 pm

bashing nadal- although I am a close second Smile you can guess the first one , O actually third second will be BB..

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sat 26 Nov 2011, 9:47 pm

And I like Nole because he saved the tennis by stopping rafa from winning any more slams. It would have been such a shame had no weapon nadal won more slams.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat 26 Nov 2011, 9:49 pm

wow wrote:bashing nadal- although I am a close second Smile you can guess the first one , O actually third second will be BB..

I only speak the truth and only the truth. I swear M. Justice.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sat 26 Nov 2011, 9:52 pm

lol, I know that tenez but neutrals or nadal fans will struggle to differentiate between me and you. Although u participate here more and I am more of a touriste Smile

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 26 Nov 2011, 9:56 pm

wow wrote:And I like Nole because he saved the tennis by stopping rafa from winning any more slams. It would have been such a shame had no weapon nadal won more slams.
Post of the year !kiss

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sat 26 Nov 2011, 9:59 pm

NITB- you did not see my question which I posted earlier.

Thanks for the compliment thumbsup

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sat 26 Nov 2011, 10:03 pm

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 26 Nov 2011, 10:10 pm

where was I then Erm , probably on cloud nine Bubbly

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sat 26 Nov 2011, 11:05 pm

wow would be a good call for some category, I have at least one in mind. He/she (sorry Erm) just doesn't hold back and says what I'm sure goes through many Fed fans' mind though their better judgement stops them saying it.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sat 26 Nov 2011, 11:20 pm

Thanks break Smile. Well I am he only. I used to post on 606 as well and yes I am one of the die hard fed fans Very Happy

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:50 am

noleisthebest wrote:
wow wrote:And I like Nole because he saved the tennis by stopping rafa from winning any more slams. It would have been such a shame had no weapon nadal won more slams.
Post of the year !kiss

Look at what playing attrition tennis has done to Nadal, Djokovic, Berdych, Murray with bodies falling apart and not lasting a season.

When do guns become standard issue replacing tennis racquets at slams? 2013? Erm

IIRC, Djokovic carried his racquets in a black grey gun case in Miami in one of the night matches.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 8:57 am

Nole is fine. He's had a season like noone before him . Don't put his tennis down.
He did what was needed to bring Nadal down which not even theGOAT could with his superior fitness strength and physique.
Admire it, for Nole's 2011 is worthy of great praise.

I
M sure he'll come back in style very soon.

His talent is prodigal and prodigal talent never fails.

Smile

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:11 am

Why doubt Federers words. He had already given the deserved and expected praise for Ferer. He then went on unprompted to say that he hoped Spain won (the Davis Cup). In the Sky studio afterwoods they talked about it as it was such a clear pointed statement. They wondered what the Argentinians would make of it...

As for whether Roger gets to watch it on TV I agree it is not guaranteed. It might be tricky wrestling the remote from the twins as they try to watch the swiss equivalent of CBeebies. However Roger has excellent diplomatic skills and I believe he can do it...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:24 am

noleisthebest

What team do you think Novak would like to win the Davis Cup?

Until recently I would have expected him to be neutral or maybe even favour Argentina. In London Novak and Rafa did have that dinner date together so now I have a suspicion he might favour Spain. Novak isn't shy with his celebrations so I'm sure if he does join Roger with his support there will be quite a few enthusiastic crys of "Vamos". If Spain go on to win those living nearby would be wise to keep their cars well away...

Mmm. I'm starting to feel a little sorry for Argentina. Maybe if Murray is feeling well enough he could hobble to his sofa and give them a little support. Just a snarled "Come on" as one of Rafa's famous moonballs sails long should be sufficient.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:42 am

hawkeye wrote:noleisthebest

What team do you think Novak would like to win the Davis Cup?

Until recently I would have expected him to be neutral or maybe even favour Argentina. In London Novak and Rafa did have that dinner date together so now I have a suspicion he might favour Spain. Novak isn't shy with his celebrations so I'm sure if he does join Roger with his support there will be quite a few enthusiastic crys of "Vamos". If Spain go on to win those living nearby would be wise to keep their cars well away...

Mmm. I'm starting to feel a little sorry for Argentina. Maybe if Murray is feeling well enough he could hobble to his sofa and give them a little support. Just a snarled "Come on" as one of Rafa's famous moonballs sails long should be sufficient.

Nole gets on well both with the Spaniards and Argentinians, so don' t know who he'd prefer to win. He is probably indifferent.

As for me, this Spanish team have already won it twice, so I think it would mean a lot more to the Argentinians.
They had the chance two years ago and blew it collossally, apparently the atmposphere on the team was not good, there was a rift between Nalbandian and the rest/ captain, don't know the details.

Personally , I don't see the Argentinians pull an upset, but it would be nice.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sun 27 Nov 2011, 10:04 am

I don't see an upset either NITB, but would love to see Del Potro have a good Davis Cup, win or lose, and take a lot of confidence into 2012.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Sun 27 Nov 2011, 10:46 am

The guy was just being diplomatic, imagine the scene if he'd have said "I hope Argentina win !".
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sun 27 Nov 2011, 10:49 am

I agree eric - it was a nice way of saying good luck, and doing a good job for tennis by highlighting to fans that the Davis Cup was coming up.

He may or may not have a preference about who should win DC, but I don't think he would volunteer his opinion.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 27 Nov 2011, 12:01 pm

bogbrush wrote:He was being nice to David Ferrer after the match. That's all there was to it.

this contribution by bogbrush is one of the shortest on this thread ; but the one that makes most sense

Immediately after a testing SF match (and before he's even left the court), Federer simply offers good wishes to his defeated opponent for the challenge that lies ahead

Can't help but think just how amused Fed would be to see the depth and variety of analysis and theorising that a few mundane words of his can generate.

At this rate the casual utterings of the Swiss magician are in danger of being given more weight than those of the man who edged him for that Number One spot (ie...... Nelson Mandela Cool )

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 28 Nov 2011, 3:21 pm

I thought it was a polite and thoughtful remark showing that even in the first flush of victory he was well aware that Ferrer had the DC next week - if he had 10 minutes to think about it in a quiet room he might instead say "I hope he does well", but let's not read too much into a polite remark.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 28 Nov 2011, 3:42 pm

Delpo should really be a better clay courter than a hard courter considering you get more time to react, i reckon he was bluffing in wishing Ferrer and his mates win the DC, it was a friendly way of saying 'you can't beat me but atleast you have a decent team to win in DC"

Simples
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 28 Nov 2011, 3:58 pm

Ha ha! Why do so many not believe what Federer said. Maybe because many imagine Federer shares their own dislike of the world number 2?

He didn't have to mention the Davis Cup. He could have said "I hope he does well". Federer is good at being the diplomat and that is the diplomatic and nice answer. He didn't say that though. He said something that wasn't neutral and he expressed a personal preference. He said "I hope they win". Notably he wasn't just being nice to the player who had just left the court. Federer wanted the Spanish team to win... and that includes Nadal!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 28 Nov 2011, 5:01 pm

nothing wrong with disliking Nadal we all have our opinions. Besides even as a Fed fan I happily say he was faking the niceness. appletini
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Mon 28 Nov 2011, 5:19 pm

hawkeye wrote:Ha ha! Why do so many not believe what Federer said. Maybe because many imagine Federer shares their own dislike of the world number 2?

He didn't have to mention the Davis Cup. He could have said "I hope he does well". Federer is good at being the diplomat and that is the diplomatic and nice answer. He didn't say that though. He said something that wasn't neutral and he expressed a personal preference. He said "I hope they win". Notably he wasn't just being nice to the player who had just left the court. Federer wanted the Spanish team to win... and that includes Nadal!

But more importantly it includes Ferrer, the guy he had just played and the guy he was taking the time to wish well. Obviously it's a team event so it's not Ferrer that wins the Davis cup but Spain.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 28 Nov 2011, 6:03 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:
hawkeye wrote:Ha ha! Why do so many not believe what Federer said. Maybe because many imagine Federer shares their own dislike of the world number 2?

But more importantly it includes Ferrer, the guy he had just played and the guy he was taking the time to wish well. Obviously it's a team event so it's not Ferrer that wins the Davis cup but Spain.

Do you think he is unaware of the importance that a team win for Spain would be for Nadal? Lots saying that it would be a boost to his confidence and a good way for him to end the year. Also do you think he is unaware that he had an audience listening? There is a big difference between "I hope he does well" and "I hope they win" because he was also saying by implication that he hoped Argentina would lose... A professional sportsman would be well aware of the difference. It was also picked up in the studio and commented on.

break_in_the_fifth

Do you think Federer admires Nadal?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 28 Nov 2011, 6:11 pm

Hawkeye - I don't think Federer cares who wins the Davis Cup, he was being courteous to his vanquished opponent and he definitely said 'I hope 'he' does' not 'they do'. It's called manners, and I think he would be astonished to see such a big deal made of it.

He does admire Rafa, talking this week about the latter's 'class', but really you must be living in la la land if you think he is hoping that a DC win will restore Rafa's confidence Laugh

These guys are tough, gritty competitors - and their sole focus in on how they are feeling - they capitalise on their opponent's moments of self-doubt, they don't want to counsel them!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 28 Nov 2011, 7:14 pm

"Spain vs Argentina - what does Roger The Great have to say on the matter ?"

all addicts can get themselves another fix here

http://www.daviscup.com/en/news/articles/federer-picks-spain-for-davis-cup-win.aspx

Team with home advantage and world's best clay courter go in as favourites ...... not exactly hold-the-front-page stuff is it Whistle ?

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 29 Nov 2011, 6:43 am

The Spanish team have just been told they have the support of the great Federer.

http://postimage.org/image/t6yu20ra3/

Fernando looks particuarly pleased (perhaps because he needs it...) I have to say that I think Rafa looks a little embarrassed.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 29 Nov 2011, 7:40 am

hawkeye wrote:The Spanish team have just been told they have the support of the great Federer.

http://postimage.org/image/t6yu20ra3/

Fernando looks particuarly pleased (perhaps because he needs it...) I have to say that I think Rafa looks a little embarrassed.

I think they are mocking Noah with their "magic potion" in those blue bottles.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down