The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moments of madness

+17
Rangiora
oldshanker
dancingweeman
Davie
jeffkenna
ScottieD18
drive4show
McLaren
George1507
navyblueshorts
twoeightnine
Gareth_NI
Doon the Water
NedB-H
liegerwoods
BlueCoverman
lorus59
21 posters

Go down

Moments of madness Empty Moments of madness

Post by lorus59 Mon 28 Nov 2011, 12:47 pm

I saw this thread on another site and thought I would see if we could do it here. Stories about players losing their cool and doing crazy or bizarre things because of that. My own bad temper moment was when I was playing very badly and even though I had chipped the ball stone dead for what would be a triple bogey, I wasn't a happy camper. The guy I was playing with rolled the ball down the fairway to me and as the ball was still rolling, I took a one-handed swing at it, caught it flush and sent it like 80 yards into a pond in front of the next tee box. At the time I thought "if only I could hit it that sweet on the course." Do you guys have any stories to tell?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Moments of madness Empty Re: Moments of madness

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 28 Nov 2011, 1:20 pm

A friend of mine was a notoriously bad chipper. Convinced that the fault was his clubs and not his lack of ability and practice, he purchased the latest top of the range and very expensive Titliest wedge.

The first round that he played with the new toy his game was not much different and his mood got worse as the round progressed. As we played the 18th he selected his new wedge for his approach to the green. He completely thinned the shot and it took off like an exocet missile, barely touching the green as it disappeared over the back into the cabbage.

He let out a yell of frustration and spun the new shiny wedge above his head before hurling it into the middle of the lake that runs adjacent to the hole. "There" he exclaimed "It won't f*****g do that again"!

One of the funniest moments I have ever seen on the golf course. I still laugh about it now

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Mon 28 Nov 2011, 6:26 pm

one true moment of madness happened a few years ago when a mamber of a local club in troon flipped mid round. when i mean flipped i mean the men in white coats were waiting at 18 along with the police. on the 9th hole he had words withthe ranger about the pace of play which turned into a full blown argument. once it settled down and it was time to tee off he put a tee in the ground took out his driver and took a swing at an imaginary ball...played the rest of the round like this!!!

coookoooo !

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 28 Nov 2011, 6:33 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsXohTeXmVM

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 28 Nov 2011, 6:45 pm

As a youngster one of my playing partners was a bit of a perfectionist.
We were playing a friendly game with a couple of middle handicap guys from another local club.
My pal was off scratch and was playing with a new driver and 3 wood. He looked like he was hitting good shots with the new clubs but I could tell that the were not 'middled'.
One of our opponents innocently kept saying 'ohh great drive' for most of the round which was winding him up even more.
On the 15th tee after another perfect looking slightly mis-hit shot followed by another cry of 'Grrrreat shot' he finally lost it. Holding his new club in one hand he grabbed an iron out of his bag and threw it down the fairway.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:58 am

243 people have read and only 4 stories told. Does that mean we are all cool heads on the golf course?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:21 am

The only one which really sticks out for me, was playing my home course when I was 13/14, playing with a family friend and my Dad. I hit two cracking shots to a longish Par 4 (Up-hill dog leg from the tee, with the landing area all down hill to the green). I was left with a 7/8 ft putt for Birdie.

My old man thinned his 2nd and the ball went skittling all the way to thick-straw-like rough at the back. George's approach to the green clipped an over-head telephone line and landed within my ball, took a free drop and done the exact same thing but was a little further out. An adjacent tee witnessed this and errupted (as did my Dad and I), he unfortunately did not see the funny side (well not immediately anyway), took a minute to compose himself and thinned the ball ala my old man. When he seen where the ball finished the iron was bent double over his knee and chucked into the bin.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:44 am

A long time ago when balls were more valuable to me my friends didn't concede a putt which wound me up, more so when I then missed it! As I walked off the green I threw the ball forward and took a swing at it, expecting to miss it I hit it like a Jonny Wilkinson drop goal into the rhododendrons. Obviously my mates were very sympathetic as I spent the next few minutes crawling around trying to find it. I have since learnt that you should never worry about not being given a concession as if you are its not one....

The funniest I heard of was on my course where as you stand on a par 5 you have a par 4 coming back on your left then a road. One golfer with a notoriously short fuse hit his drive left onto the par 4. As it was quite foggy his partners said they would see him on the green. 10 minutes later he was nowhere to be seen. Eventually appeared swearing profusely. Apparently after hooking his drive, he then hooked his 2nd into the road. The club followed. He then had to walk the 250 yards back down the hole to the gate, down the road, back to the gate then all the way up the hole to the green!

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:56 am

Seen a few clubs from time to time hurled (often better than the ball they've just been used to hit) way into various bits of cabbage. Not seen, or been party to, anything really outrageous.

One of the better ones was a driver hurled off a tee into a tree....which promptly stuck about 25 foot up in the tree. How we laughed laughing.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:35 pm

I've seen some volcanic eruptions over the years. One in particular was by a very well known entertainer, who shall remain nameless.

In a club foursomes semi final (so lots of pressure), I suckered him into hitting a three wood off a difficult lie by practice swinging my three wood. Our ball was just ahead of his. He was looking at me, thinking I could get it on the green from where we were, and I could see him thinking he had to hit a wood as well. He did, and like I'd expected, he sliced it off a side hill lie into thick woods on the right. I put the 3 wood away and guided a 6 iron down the fairway. He was seething, but didn't say anything. We won that hole on a concession to square the match with 5 to go.

On the next, in receipt of a shot, he hit a perfect wedge shot that landed just short of the hole and unluckily screwed away down the slope on the green to end up 40 feet away. He and his partner three putted from there for a nett 5, against our 4.

At that point he really lost it, and started using some pretty choice language. There was a bloke with some kids in the garden right next to the green who told him to stop swearing because his grandkids shouldn't be subjected to that kind of language - which was true. So a full scale row broke out, with our man threatening to smack him right in the mouth.

We managed to get him away from a really ugly scene that was developing to play the 15th. His second shot, played with a lightning fast swing hooked wickedly into the lake on the left of the green, landing with an almighty splash.

At that point, without saying anything to his partner or us, he marched down the road back to the clubhouse and into his car. His partner conceded the match to us, and as we headed back, his car roared past us at about 50mph on the way out. He didn't wave or say anything.

It was a really unpleasant experience that I never want to go through again. I hate playing golf when there's an undercurrent of temper and emotion like that.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:41 pm

I guy hanged himself in the woods of a club I used to play sometimes, no idea if it was golf related.

George

I agree that it is no fun when someone playing poorly reacts badly or holds a bitter demeanour during the round. I always think people should remember there is more to be had from the game than just a number on a scorecard.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:49 pm

A playing partner of mine once missed a tap in putt and the red mist came down. He had a Ping Anser putter which he slammed into the green toe end first and managed to bury it into the green right up to the hosel.

Made one hell of a mess in the green about 12 inches from the hole. He was reported and banned for 3 months Laugh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:48 pm

Medal with a mate several years ago. He used to play off 3 but his handicap was on the way up. Tended to have a couple of bad holes every round even when he played well.

Anyway, playing 9th and he was level par - on a good score. He pushed his approach at 9 and missed the green by about 5 yards. He had a simple pitch. However, some weeks earlier the greenkeeper layed a line of some chemical round that side of the green to stop the rabbits damaging the greens. By the time we played it looked like a line on a football pitch but the grass was not damaged, only a different colour.

He asked for a drop and we thought not. He then got really anoyed about the lie. We tried to calm him down by pointing out the grass was perfect.

He thinned the chip through the green and took a double or tripple. After holing out he finally blew up. He spent 5 minutes chopping away at this line with a wedge swearing and shouting at the greenkeeper, the rabbits and his bad luck.

There was one or two group son the 10th tee. The look on their faces was amazing.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:54 pm

one of my regular playing partners that I have been playing with for years, normally extremely calm, I had never ever seen him lose his temper on the course. Playing a while ago and he was going very well, hit his 2nd shot just right of 12th green, no trouble at all, just a chip down onto the green, went up and inexplicably couldn't find his ball. He was so convinced that an adjecent group had picked his ball up, stormed to the next tee, teed up before we got there knocked his tee shot into a bush 30 yards in front, lobbed his driver into the adjacent bin (other playing partner recovered it), kickede the ground a few times, took the rest of his anger out on the bush by hacking his ball about 150 yards down the fairway from a fairly impossible lie then got down in 2 for his par, at which point he managed to break a smile.

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:59 pm

Not as extreme as some mentioned here but quite funny was an acquaintance of mine who hurled his PW back at his stand bag after a shanked pitch. The funny part was at the end of his round and he went to get his nice shiny, new iPhone out of his golf bag and found it smashed to pieces after the flying PW had hit it

George - I think you should name and shame the "entertainer" Wink

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:07 pm

Same guy as the last time.

He parred the first 3 holes in a medal. Teed off at par 5 4th and hit it okay but very, very low. Would have ended up on the fairway as far as a normal drive but it hit the yellow tee markers which were flat round discs so the sharp endge facing the white tees. The ball split into two.

We all had a laugh led by him. He went to his bag to play another ball assuming he would get to play the shot again. We informed him he had to find the biggest half and play a new ball from their, second shot.

He went mad. Walked the 10 yards to these yellow discs cursing to the limit. Picked up the first disc and threw it like a discus. The only problem was the sharp edge cut his hand and he had to walk off with a cut across a couple of his fingers.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by dancingweeman Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:29 pm

Playing with my brother earlier this year, his drive disappeared into the trees along the left of the fairway while mine ended up reasonably straight.

After a drop, and then several hacks to get out of the rough he turned and took an almighty swing at his trolley with his club, resulting in the trolley handle flying further up the fairway than his previous 3 or 4 shots combined.

I was watching all this from the safety of the green and have to say it was very funny. He still uses that trolley and it always raises a smile when i see him dragging it around behind him, handle-less!

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 3:02 pm

dancingweeman wrote:Playing with my brother earlier this year, his drive disappeared into the trees along the left of the fairway while mine ended up reasonably straight.

After a drop, and then several hacks to get out of the rough he turned and took an almighty swing at his trolley with his club, resulting in the trolley handle flying further up the fairway than his previous 3 or 4 shots combined.

I was watching all this from the safety of the green and have to say it was very funny. He still uses that trolley and it always raises a smile when i see him dragging it around behind him, handle-less!

I guess the broken handle is a reminder that he should keep his cool.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 30 Nov 2011, 12:05 am

Not seen too many tantrum diplays, but I have seen an electric trolley making a bid for freedom, followed by a sweating, puffing, red faced owner.

Also watched a man in the group in front of me lose 3 balls on the trot, he then picked another ball out of his bag, threw that one into the woods and walked off. I don't think he appreciated me calling after him that he might like to throw a provisional as he would probably not find that one either. laughing
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Wed 30 Nov 2011, 7:04 am

Have few that stand out from my brother and his wife. There have been many as he's known for short temper.

Playing at Sion (Switzerland ) he has missed his putt so flung putter at bag but missed and hit the concrete hole marker for next hole where upon putter head and shaft parted company and putter head carried on into canal by side of course.

Whilst playing with Sister in law and nephew at Crans Sur Sierre was waiting to drive on 14th as brother in group in front still in range, drove off as did Nephew and then SiL who then moaned all the way down fairway about having to wait and not fair that ladies have different tees, etc etc.
Played her 4 th down towards the lakeside that guards the 14 th still muttering and swearing where upon the trolley lurched into the lake with her clutching at it. refused all offers of help and stormed off to next tee swearing loudly.

Playing at Rangiora few weeks ago young lad lost it on the 7th when he fluffed his bunker shot and took it out on the rake which was broken in half, he's since replaced it.

As for myself, when playing at Formosa, had hired some clubs and and a fit of pique from missing a putt threw ball and went to whack with putter not expecting to hit it but did and putter head came off.

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Wed 30 Nov 2011, 7:40 am

I played with Ross Drummond in the Northern Open. He hit two great shots into a long par 4 and left himself about 12 feet. He had a tricky put. He completely missed the line and the ball went about 6 feet wide. He flung his putter about 50 yards back up the fairway, stood completely still and waited for his caddy to figure out it was his job to retrieve the putter. The caddy was not impressed so he walked dead slow there and back.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 30 Nov 2011, 8:07 am

Have only ever thrown a club once and learnt my lesson immediately I was 15 and. The course I was a member at had undergone huge transformation due to a new link road taking out 6 of the old holes, so we were rerouted into new land the club had bought and developed. It was my first time playing the new layout in a comp and I was -1 for my round standing over a 6 foot birdie putt and the par 5 15th, putt lipped out, went to knock the ball in one handed and jabbed it missing meaning a 3putt and helicoptered the putter towards 16th tee only to see the putter head snap at the neck beyond repair! Had to putt last 3 holes with a wedge.

There was a guy who played at the same club I did as a junior who everyone used to try and avoid as he liked to vent! I was 16 at the time and was allowed to play mens comps by virtue of my handicap, and was drawn with him and 2 others in the clubs presidents putter and scratch cup 36hole comp. The day started badly for him and got worse, we tee'd off the on back half in the first round which he complained about all way down that first hole after he missed a bogey putt and holed out for a double he launched the ball he was using into the trees, after a few more holes his clubs began flying lessons on the 8th our 17th of the round he lainched his wedge toward his bag which actually missed his bag and hit the adjacenet staked tree, shaft snap clean in half!queue more venting kicking the stand on his bag which too snapped!

He spent the whole of the 9th(our 18th) bemoaning the incident, he then 3 putted the hole and his bag laying on the floor due to broken stand got a mighty boot with his size 10's sending it a few feet away he then vented finally hitting the bag again with his putter, picked his bag up and walked into clubhouse.

Then we had the 2nd round after lunch which for all of us was more painful 1st tee we stood by waiting for green to clear as it was a driveable par 4. The pro acting as starter had been asking questions about the guy who had been venting as he had complaints from members that had seen his actions on the course. Anyway after the first 3 of us had played our tee shots, Mr Vent pulled his driver out only to find the half of the shaft with thr grip on was still in his bag! Where he'd kicked it and hit it with putter the shaft had snapped, which led to more swearing, so out comes the 3wood which he then topped about 5yards. The round continued that way with more club throwing, bag kicking and swearing. He was called before the committee shortly afterwards and given a 30day ban for his behaviour.

That remains the single worst day I've ever experienced on a golf course, the irony of it all was that the guy who liked to vent was a chief constable hardly the behaviour of a respected police officer

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 30 Nov 2011, 8:43 am

Mav....when they behave like that on the golf course it makes you wonder what they do at home.
There was a Scots comic who used to do a very funny 'Mr Angry'. Art and life merged when he was charged with hitting a taxi driver.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:16 am

Doon the Water wrote:Mav....when they behave like that on the golf course it makes you wonder what they do at home.
There was a Scots comic who used to do a very funny 'Mr Angry'. Art and life merged when he was charged with hitting a taxi driver.

The strange thing is I only ever get angry on a golf course, never in my daily life. There is something about this game which is so infuriating.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:27 am

It is an infuriating game but it is just a game. Never yet felt the need to get angry on the golf course, far more important things in life to worry about

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by GWR-Golfer Wed 30 Nov 2011, 1:30 pm

Many years ago - Playing a medal with a guy who was playing as well as I was. Got to the 16th which was a short par 4 .... fatted my 8-iron and in annoyance had a swipe with my iron, only trouble was I forgot that I had stuck my brolly in the ground behind me and I proceeded to de-captitate the brolly handle. The guy I was playing with had hysterics which didn't help my mood - he then went on to win the medal from me by 1 shot and didn't let me forget it for about 10 years.

On an earlier occasion I had just bought one of these new fangled graphite shafted drivers (it was a long time ago). Hit a bad tee shot and helicoptered it into an adjacent field - trouble was it was very long grass - took ages to find it - it last time I ever threw a club.
GWR-Golfer
GWR-Golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:33 pm

I learnt a valuable lesson when i was about 16, had saved up and bought myself a new driver,only had it for a couple of weeks when, on a great score i hooked my teeshot ob on 12 then pushed 2nd ball way right into some nasty sh1t, walking off the tee back to our bags, head of the driver in my hand i whacked the grip end into the ground hence snapping the shaft. Silly silly silly!!

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintie12 Wed 07 Dec 2011, 5:37 am

hi,
When asked exactly what is the dumbest point you've ever carried out. I typically answer along with "I don't know which I did this quite nevertheless.Inch

But an end 2nd. Redecorating the downstairs toilet. Very first place I attempted within the new home. Made important progress during my house remodeling skills since...... yet time for the storyplot.

Before painting, We used Teaspoon to scrub the actual wall space. Any washing natural powder compound a person add to water. Following the idea dried, My partner and i crook the areas I didn't need to fresh paint with recording and proceeded to paint away. The next day when detaching the video tape, most of the paint was included with that, within linens I may include.

My spouse and i neglected negligence your directions nevertheless "rinse regularly after employing to make sure clean up area, ahead of artwork.In . Would seem that foliage a good powdered if you do not. Consequently, all of the color occurs back off.

Mintie12

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 07 Dec 2011, 6:53 am

Headscratch

Hmm - all the right words Mintie, just not necessarily in the right order.

Sorry mate, I haven't got a scooby what you are trying to say there, except it might have something to do with diy!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed 07 Dec 2011, 7:07 am

I am not sure I wanted DIY mistakes here in this thread. Although my golf game looks like a DIY disaster a lot

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:40 am

This Mintie is a real strange cookie
Check out his post on the Temporary Greens thread?! Erm

Oh and Moments of madness 4278589029
Just wanted to use that one.......
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:51 am

As I mentioned on another thread it looks to me like English probably isn't Mintie's first language

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 07 Dec 2011, 10:00 am

Davie

How many of your comments yesterday on the quick announcement thread could go down as moments of madness? (where I would insert a smilie if I approved of them)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 07 Dec 2011, 10:59 am

Davie fair enough but come on, he/she's going on about DIY and linen?! He/she knows this is a golf forum right? I dont think it's a language problem. Not just a language problem anyway!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down