The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shane Williams 'a world great' - Bryan Habana

+12
bluestonevedder
pontylad
Pal Joey
HERSH
OzT
tooboredtowork
Geordie
Gatts
flyhalffactory
maestegmafia
wales606
munkian
16 posters

Go down

Shane Williams 'a world great' - Bryan Habana Empty Shane Williams 'a world great' - Bryan Habana

Post by munkian Mon 28 Nov 2011, 5:24 pm

From BBC

South Africa wing legend Bryan Habana says Welsh counterpart Shane Williams will be remembered as one of the greatest players in the game's history.

Williams plays his final Test against Australia in Cardiff on Saturday.

Habana, 28, said: "Shane will definitely be able to put his hand up there with some of the best, not only that have ever donned a Welsh jersey, but an international rugby jersey.

"We've had a few old torrid battles - he's won a couple, I've won a couple."

Williams and Habana share the accolade of being their countries' top try-scorers and have faced each other six times with the Springbok on the winning side on each occasion.

The Welshman has scored 57 tries in 86 Wales appearances while Habana tops the Boks' list with 40 tries in 74 Tests.

However, the South African says that honours are even in terms of their personal battles with each having beaten the other to score memorable tries.

They first clashed in 2005, when the Boks won 33-16 in Cardiff with Habana beating Williams to touch down at the corner.

On tour in June 2008, Williams scored in each of Wales' Test defeats. In the first Test Williams mocked his rival from under the posts by appearing to scan the horizon for Habana after cutting past him on the way to the line

The duo also played alongside each other for the Barbarians in December 2008 when they lost 18-11 to Australia in the Olympic Centenary match at Wembley Stadium.

Neither scored on the last occasion they met, in the World Cup Pool stage in New Zealand when the Boks again won, 17-16.

But Habana, speaking after playing in the Barbarians' heavy defeat by Australia, says Williams looked anything but a veteran at the tournament.

"I have huge respect for Shane. It's sort of sad - the way he was dancing around in the World Cup, he looked like he was 19.

"So I think it's going to be sad for him not to don that Welsh jumper.

"He's given not only Wales, but the game of rugby a lot of excitement, a lot of enthusiasm and he's put a lot of enjoyment on a lot of people's faces, not only in Wales.

"So it's when you get to the end of your career and you've been playing alongside those guys that you can measure yourself and I think Shane will definitely be able to put his hand up there with some of the best, not only that have ever donned a Welsh jersey, but an international rugby jersey.

"And we've had a few old torrid battles and he's won a couple, I've won a couple."

Habana says Williams' ability to overcome the tough times in his career has also shone through, highlighting Williams' impact in the final Test of the British and Irish Lions' tour to South Africa in 2009.

Williams had been named International Rugby Board Player of the Year for 2008, but was overlooked for the first two Tests.

But in the final encounter, with Habana a spectator, Williams scored twice as the Lions won 28-9.

"In that Lions series he had to fight his way hard into that last Test and when he got the opportunity he just showed how class he is," said Habana.

"Hopefully the highlights of his career far outweigh any of the disappointments that people remember because he's been an exceptional rugby player, not only for Wales, but also the rest of the world."

Run thumbsup
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Shane Williams 'a world great' - Bryan Habana Empty Re: Shane Williams 'a world great' - Bryan Habana

Post by wales606 Mon 28 Nov 2011, 6:10 pm

angel
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Shane Williams 'a world great' - Bryan Habana Empty Re: Shane Williams 'a world great' - Bryan Habana

Post by maestegmafia Mon 28 Nov 2011, 8:14 pm

Ryan Jones wrote:“I watched him playing when I was a youngster growing up,” said the back rower.

“I always remember him running round in a jersey that was too big for him!

“My first experience of being on the pitch with Shane was playing against him when I was with Bridgend.

“He was at that period in his career when people were doubting him and questioning him because of his size.”

“He’s the most exciting rugby player I’ve ever seen and certainly ever played with,” said Jones.

“He’s one of the stars of our era, of my generation.

“He’s the guy that children want to be like.

“There are very few players who genuinely light up people’s expectations just by touching the ball and Shane is one of those.

“He has that innate ability to create something from nothing.

“He can turn the most pedestrian attack into an incredibly potent one.

“He’s like a world-class striker in football. He takes his opportunities when they are given. That’s a skill in itself.

“On top of that, the thing with Shane is he’s a top bloke and a wonderful ambassador for our game on and off the field.

“He’s a great person. I class him as one of my mates and I’ve got nothing but respect for him.

“He’s got a wonderful family, he’s incredibly loyal to his friends and family. He still lives where he’s from, which is a wonderful attribute.

“This is a guy who literally has had the world at his feet, but it genuinely hasn’t changed him at all.”

“If anyone deserves a big thank you for what he’s done for Welsh rugby and world rugby it’s Shane,”

“It’s only a fitting tribute that we put on a good performance for him as much as anything else.

“Hopefully the Welsh public will come out in their droves and say a big thank you and a farewell and wish him all the best for the future.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/11/27/ryan-jones-inspied-by-departing-legend-shane-williams-91466-29852324/#ixzz1f26Qegpd

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:17 am

He was the Captain Kirk of the rugby world

World class player
World class tactician
World class entertainer

DEVASTATING RUNNER, perhaps the best ever seen

Brave beyond words, defensively always punched above his weight, how many times did you see him turn a man over twice his size to save a try.

Well done Mr Shane Williams............. beam him up Scotty
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 29 Nov 2011, 4:58 am

Watch out saturday

He will be set to stun us all

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:07 am

flyhalffactory wrote:He was the Captain Kirk of the rugby world

World class player
World class tactician
World class entertainer

Brave beyond words, defensively always punched above his weight, how many times did you see him turn a man over twice his size to save a try.

Well done Mr Shane Williams............. beam him up Scotty

Hhmmmmm big statement.....fabulous runner but i dont think the best ever....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:20 am

flyhalffactory wrote:

I always thought shane was a lot like Gerald Davies or Phill Bennett. But when i saw the second test in South Aftrica in 08, the try he scored then was something neither of them could have done, that was more like a Cliff Morgan or Barry John moment, but with more pace. I think he is certainly the best Welsh runner. Internationally, ever, I cant remember any one better, no one more skilled. But that is a subjective opinion, on a world scale there have been so many fantastic runners you end up enjoying them all.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by tooboredtowork Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:28 am

World class -------- absolutely! Have loved watching him play.

tooboredtowork

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:29 am

Well by saying ever, you can't remember any better, I think that could open a whole debating can!!!

I would rate campo as good if not better than Shane, without the blistering pace but had more ways of beating a man, and also a better tackler and taker of high balls.

The kiwis had Wilson, and for devasting runner Lomu I think wilk be up there.

Shane's a very good winger, but I wouldn't have said best skilled or runner. And I am sure the French had heapsa mesmerising winers

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:33 am

Just think how good Shane could have been if he hadn't stayed with the lost cause that is the Ospreys. Whistle

Don't get me wrong Shanes up there but he isn't the best ever, how many times does he get isolated and turned over!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:33 am

OzT wrote:
And I am sure the French had heapsa mesmerising winers

...and some mighty fine wingers too, OzT. Laugh

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by pontylad Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:53 am

It's easy with Shane to think of ten golden moments straight off and I'm not sure who else I could say that of . Not always on the winning side either but that is just the point Shane could light up the greyest of games and even in a losing cause send you home with something to talk about .

Personal favourites would be the try in that second Bok test metioned above where I think even the South African players had difficulty in not applauding , the one against Argentina on tour where he waltzed through half the team and the 08 Grand Slam one against France which set up the win. But there are many more to choose from.

pontylad

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:57 am

Loved watching him play, always took his A game to the opposition too. Ingenious as well as brave (who can forget the hurdle attempts against London Irish!)

Met him once as well, and a model sportsman- top bloke.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue 29 Nov 2011, 10:07 am

That they did Linebreaker, that they did!!!

** bashed head and looks again at the keyboard.. **

Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 29 Nov 2011, 4:31 pm

I think his creativity and playmaking will be hugely missed. If you watch him throughout the game you'll see that he stands at 10 or 12 a lot and creates. Cant think of many players coming through for us like that.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by cabbagesandbrussels Tue 29 Nov 2011, 4:40 pm

Shane Who???

cabbagesandbrussels

Back to top Go down

Post by cabbagesandbrussels Tue 29 Nov 2011, 4:43 pm

Of course, I am just kidding.

I as an Englishman, will be glad when he retires.
As a rugby fan, i'll miss him though... True greats in our sport are rare and it's always a shame when one retires.

Good luck Mr Williams - enjoy your retirement! clap

cabbagesandbrussels

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 6:12 pm

A world great seems more than reasoanble - I have always enjoyed watching him play - he did try too hard sometimes and got turned over - but thats a part of him and how he plays.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 29 Nov 2011, 7:04 pm

HERSH wrote:Just think how good Shane could have been if he hadn't stayed with the lost cause that is the Ospreys. Whistle

Don't get me wrong Shanes up there but he isn't the best ever, how many times does he get isolated and turned over!

About the same amount as you do in here

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 29 Nov 2011, 7:05 pm

Always wanted to see Shane on one wing and Billy Whizz on the other. They could have had a dance off at half time.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Nov 2011, 8:07 pm

He's a fine player and probably goes down as 46th best winger of the last 15 years or so. Just behind Dan Luger.

Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:40 pm

No wonder Shane always seems to be all over the pitch...

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/11/29/in-pictures-will-the-real-shane-williams-please-stand-up-91466-29865370/
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by England rugby fan Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:49 pm

wales606 wrote:No wonder Shane always seems to be all over the pitch...

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/11/29/in-pictures-will-the-real-shane-williams-please-stand-up-91466-29865370/

Wow, that's the one of the unfunniest things I've ever seen.

England rugby fan

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:57 pm

England rugby fan wrote:
wales606 wrote:No wonder Shane always seems to be all over the pitch...

Wow, that's the one of the unfunniest things I've ever seen.

Very Happy
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down