The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter Work

+8
oldshanker
Maverick
JDandfries
drive4show
Redrage
Lairdy
Doc
JAS
12 posters

Go down

Winter Work Empty Winter Work

Post by JAS Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:47 pm

Just interested in how many of you have set out a structured winter program.

I didn't quite make it this year in terms of where I wanted to be so this winter I'm knuckling down to some hard work and hoping to iron out the flaws that creep in and spoil rounds. No stone is being left unturned I'm having 3 lunchtime short game sessions during the week (putting, chipping and a mix of the 2) Range session 2 during the week as well as a 2 hour practice session at weekend working on whatever I feel I need extra of.
I'll play once a week either bounce round (eclectic) or winter ko 4bbb matchplay, no medals until at least Feb.
I'll start submitting myself to skills tests in the new year to focus myself.

Off course, I'm lucky where I am in so far as I have access to a golf specific physio who has assessed me and given me a tailored program of stretching & strengthening exercises.

All in all I'm looking forward to a winter of hard work and see what I start producing at the end of it.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Winter Work Empty Re: Winter Work

Post by Doc Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:13 pm

Getting the time to put in practice is always a problem for me. Yes I can sometimes manage to squeeze 2-rounds in, if the weather is good in the summer, but weather permitting will only manage the one round, through the winter. Trying to put a proper regime in place, isn't an option for me, due to work and other commitments, and the only real practice i get, is when playing by myself, and trying different shots/irons from varying places. Invariably though, I'm playing with someone, so even this is limited.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:22 pm

Its not really structured but visiting the range once a week to really try and get rid of an out to in swing this winter. My pro found that because I was out to in I would aim right and pull the ball back to the target, developing a hold off release that would often leave the club head way open, especially for longer clubs.

I now go to the range to try and hit push draws from an open stance to rid me of the shut stance pull shot I had developed. Usually make it to the range once a week and golf once a week and results have been pretty good so far. Hoping by end of winter I can hit push draws from a square stance and hit fades from the inside. Not sure if one or the other will be my stock shot. Probably the fade. Come the spring short game work will take up more time as practice areas improve in condition for that sort of thing.

Last edited by Lairdy on Tue 29 Nov 2011, 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue 29 Nov 2011, 3:34 pm

Clubs are going to gather dust until February I would guess.

In the meantime I am training for a half marathon and doing loads of core strength training. Dropped two belt loops in 2 months, don't want to drop many more though or I'll need a whole new wardrobe!

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 29 Nov 2011, 3:49 pm

Redrage wrote:Clubs are going to gather dust until February I would guess.

In the meantime I am training for a half marathon and doing loads of core strength training. Dropped two belt loops in 2 months, don't want to drop many more though or I'll need a whole new wardrobe!

On behalf of s_r, I'd like to be the first to congratulate you Wink

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue 29 Nov 2011, 3:59 pm

Yes, he will be thrilled

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 29 Nov 2011, 7:14 pm

RR - nice going mate something to be proud of and good luck with the training and subsequent race.

Winter Work:
Mine began properly today, nothing to do with the game happy with where its at, will continue to practice as I am and work on things as they arise. My works all going into the body and fitness after 6months out and still having the same appetite my body is not as it was. So had a light gym session today and booked in with my Personal Trainer for tomorrow, were looking at the Villegas workouts for over the winter to injury proof this body of mine and get back into peak shape. That should help the game out and maybe add a few yards though that's not the goal of it

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:56 pm

Gosh JAS that all sounds like far too much dedication for me! Mind you, all those exotic places you go to deserve a JAS at the peak of his game don't they. Wink

Time is as always the issue for me. Working full time means that weekday golf at this time of the year is snatched gratefully, but few and far between. I loathe with a passion smacking balls into the murk at the range and do not have the patience to practice my pitching or putting - anyway, here in the flatlands of Cambs. the nearest course with a windmill on it is........ooh actually just down the road, but it is a big bugger and not in the way, like Mavs is!

Weekends may see the occasional game, but there are a number of other calls on my 'spare' time, so they will not be many.

So my winter training will take the form of Tuesday night virtual golf, maybe at Pebble Beach, but TOC will be loaded soon so I will give that a whirlygig as well, or possibly Kiawah Island or any number of others. It's not the same of course, but it does help to keep the swing in groove and is much more fun than snooker. Yikes
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintie12 Wed 07 Dec 2011, 5:38 am

hey,
big t some time on this submitting, 67 a long time have got passed since finish associated with
exams.
I'm consuming espresso beans which enable it to hear the benefits to be able to Superstar Make your way: TnG. All is
satisfied.
In the event that everyone would be consequently variety as to publish the changing times they'll be free of charge
this specific 30 days under, we can begin working out there a brand new meeting occasion.
Until then, I am hoping Ricky is exciting from Walt disney Territory. Sure, that is certainly
right, Tim's from Disney world Terrain. Probably since he's a much better
man or woman when compared with you. (Please do not take legal action against.)

Mintie12

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed 07 Dec 2011, 5:54 am

Get envious guys, I live in Thailand and it's the Thai winter now. That means 21C-30C with hardly a cloud in the sky. Plus, I live not far from a Thai Royal Air Force base which has an 18 hole golf course and wait for it, £4 for 18 holes (double if you want a caddie). It may not be the last word in the quality of the course but it suits me just fine.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 07 Dec 2011, 6:36 am

Now that's winter working conditions Lorus!! Wink I'm off to Mexico via California next week but only for 2 weeks.
With the deterioration of the British weather this week, this is when the work ethic and dedication gets tested. Still pleased with the way things are going but hoping for a mild winter to keep the practice putting green frost free!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 07 Dec 2011, 7:53 am

Its alright for some aye Jas!

Where you playing down there?

Winter conditions is the problem so many go into hibernation then wonder why when they return that can't hit the ball for toffee.

I love working on my game in winter, makes to game so much easier when warmer Weather returns

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:46 am

Anyone any idea what mintie is going on about?

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:49 am

Looks to me like English perhaps isn't Mintie's first language. Let's not be too harsh eh?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:52 am

No problemo. Very Happy Just wondered as couldnt understand another of his posts on another thread.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:00 am

Maverick wrote:Its alright for some aye Jas!

Where you playing down there?

Winter conditions is the problem so many go into hibernation then wonder why when they return that can't hit the ball for toffee.

I love working on my game in winter, makes to game so much easier when warmer Weather returns

I'm doing the same Calif route as last year (Pasatiempo, Spyglass, Pebble & Spanish Bay) - hoping that the weather is better this year, last year we had PB in a 3 club wind and an inch and a half of rain Sad
The weather will be a wee bit more dependable in Cabo San Lucas...looking forward to Cabo del Sol & Palmilla.

On the subject of winter work, I remember taking a picture of the range under 8 inches of snow and putting a caption under it....you trained through this, keep it going and enjoy your summer golf!!

This winter seems much better, my swing is a lot more controlled, my range work is being helped by recording swings, courtesy of my IPhone, swingreader app and a nifty little flexible tripod that clips onto the railings of the range bays.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:03 am

Mintie...wtf??? Is that a Times cryptic crossword clue on steroids??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down