The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Boxing Weekend of the Year?

+5
captain carrantuohil
Fists of Fury
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
The Galveston Giant
Scottrf
9 posters

Go down

Best Boxing Weekend of the Year? Empty Best Boxing Weekend of the Year?

Post by Scottrf Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:38 am

My picks:

Felix Sturm vs Martin Murray: Just don’t see how Murray is ready for it or what he can do that Sturm hasn’t seen before. Sturm at home too it’s hard to see Murray winning on the cards and really I can see Sturm controlling it fairly comfortably.

Sturm late stoppage.

Alexander Povetkin vs Cedric Boswell: Can’t say I know much about Boswell to be honest, but Povetkin isn’t always the most forceful and his chin looks decent enough.

Povetkin decision.

Robert Helenius vs Dereck Chisora: I think Chisora has some decent skills, anticipation, his hands aren't slow. Helenius had more trouble than he perhaps should against that version of Peter. After seeing Chisora's against Fury though I can't have confidence. Helenius has a bit of power and I would doubt Chisora’s engine to keep him off.

Helenius late stoppage.

Prince Arron vs Brian Rose: Arron I think will look to keep it long, has mixed in better company and will control the majority of this.

Arron decision.

Karl Place vs Steve Williams: Place is improving nicely, but Williams isn’t a pushover. Unsure if it’s a 10 or 12 rounder? But think Place will stop him late.

Place late stoppage.

Miguel Cotto vs Antonio Margarito: I fancy Margarito in this. The questions I'd have are 1. Is his eye healed? 2. What does he have left and can he take the same punishment? 3. Can Cotto break the fight up by holding and fighting a bit more intelligently? 4. Can Margarito hurt Cotto to the same extent?

Margarito Decision.

Brandon Rios vs John Murray: They have broadly similar styles but Rios does everything better and the Antillon fight serves as a decent blueprint.

Rios early-mid stoppage.

Mike Jones vs Sebastian Lujan: Don’t think all that much to Jones as a boxer but he can let the punches go, is strong and is supposed to win. I think that will be enough.

Jones decision.

Pawel Wolak vs Delvin Rodriguez: Cracking first fight. Finding this tough to call. Rodriguez doesn’t seem to have favour with judges, and Wolak applies the pressure relentlessly. I think it will be close again but his aggressive might not be handled as well the second time.

Wolak decision.

Abner Mares vs Joseph Agbeko: I think it looked like Agbeko would have been taking control were it not for Mares’ dirty tactics. Don’t find this easy to call anyway.

Agbeko decision.

Anselmo Moreno vs Vic Darchinyan: I think Vic will come out quickly and wear him down. If not I can see the tide turning late and it being an interesting fight. Not too confident picking this either.

Darchinyan mid stoppage.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Best Boxing Weekend of the Year? Empty Re: Best Boxing Weekend of the Year?

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:45 am

Great line up isn't it. I'm still not decided on some of my pics, few 50/50 fights this weekend.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:19 pm

It's a great weekend the best I can remember for a long time.

Felix Sturm vs Martin Murray: Like most I think Murray is out his depth here. Sturm will be expecting a fast start after the Mackllin fight so I can see Sturm controlling it from the start and Murray getting a bit ragged towards the later rounds and getting stopped.

Sturm late stoppage.

Alexander Povetkin vs Cedric Boswell: I know very little about Boswell but Povetkin is a good boxer. I can see him pretty much dominating from the start behind his jab which is pretty good.

Povetkin decision.

Robert Helenius vs Dereck Chisora: Chisora has decent skills like has been said but he's fat. I'm not convinced of Chisoras power Fury took some good shots off him and he has a suspect chin. Helenius has the power and the fitness advantage not much between them in terms of skill imo. I think it could start brightly and be a good fight through the first 6 but I see Chisora tiring after 6 or 7 rounds and helenius seeing out a points decision.

Helenius points

Prince Arron vs Brian Rose: Arrons last fight was a real cracker with Sam Webb that Webb could have won early on. Arron can't keep letting himself get drawn into scraps. He has a real height and reach advantage over most at 154lbs and should start using it more. I hope he works behind the jab and controls the range but I think old habits might come back to haunt him slightly and he will make this harder work than it needs to be.

Arron decision.

Karl Place vs Steve Williams: Place looks a decent prospect I'm not convinced he has the power at the top level. But this isn't the top level. Williams only loss is to Lenny Daws so for a domestic level boxer that ain't to bad. I think Place will be to good for Williams and win on points quite comfortably.

Place points.

Miguel Cotto vs Antonio Margarito: I can't see past the Mexican in this one. His eye looks a bit weird but apparently his sparring partners were told to target it and it held up fine. Cotto is damaged goods and has took a couple of horrendous beatings over the last few years and I think this might be another one. Margarito will do what he does and come forward and throw a lot of punches. Cotto will need to do what worked so well for him in the first half of the first fight and box and move and when he needs to stand and trade. I think like the last time Margarito will get to Cotto in the end and force another late stoppage and maybe bring the curtain down on the career of Cotto.

Margarito late stoppage.

Brandon Rios vs John Murray: Murray is just a poor version of Rios. Should be fun while it lasts but I don't think that will be long.

Rios early stoppage.

Mike Jones vs Sebastian Lujan: I'm not sold on Jones but he does let the punches fly at times. Lujan has seen better days and has been stopped on two occasions although once was by Margarito so there is no shame in that. I think Jones might just be to young and to fresh for Lujan who does like a scrap. If Jones lets the punches go he should force the stoppage late on.

Jones late stoppage.

Pawel Wolak vs Delvin Rodriguez: Unsure how to call this one. First one is FOTY imo. Wolak keeps coming forward but Rodriguez had him worked out and kept taking a step back and letting the punches go. I think Rodriguez knows if he had not been drawn into a scrap up close on to many occasions he would have won. I think this time he might be a bit more cautious and that could see him nick the tighter rounds.

Rodriguez decision.

Abner Mares vs Joseph Agbeko: Mares's low blow bonanza the last time was shocking. I think this might make Agbecko a bit to hungry for revenge and make him a bit wild. Mares can box and I think that's what he will do on his way to a pretty decent points decision.

Mares decision.

Anselmo Moreno vs Vic Darchinyan: Darchinyan should come out quickly and get at Moreno who can be a slow starter. I don't see it going the distance and I don't think Moreno has the skill or the power to deter Darchinyan. Like Cotto vs Margarito Vic will get to him in the ned and force the stoppage.

Darchinyan late stoppage.

Last edited by prettyboykev on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:22 pm

You could have just said 'I agree with your comments Scott' Laugh

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:25 pm

Just to correct you mate. We picked diffrent winners for Wolak vs Rodriguez and Mares vs Agbecko! Very Happy
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:28 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Just to correct you mate. We picked diffrent winners for Wolak vs Rodriguez and Mares vs Agbecko! Very Happy
Both I found quite hard to call. Interesting weekend for sure, need to plan which fights to watch when!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:28 pm

What's a late decision? Wink

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:29 pm

Well spotted mate.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:29 pm

Cracking collection of fights. I'm especially interested in the last two on your "card", which highlight the strength in depth on offer today around the bantamweight division. If, as seems likely, Donaire rises in weight to fight Nishioka (another mouth-watering prospect), then the winner of this little round robin is likely to be regarded as the boss man at 118. For the record, I like Agbeko to decision Mares, given a semi-decent referee, and Moreno to scrape by Darchinyan on a controversial decision. I've always had a lot of time for Vic, but he's had a lot of tough tussles, and has seemed slightly on the downgrade to me in his last couple of meaningful fights.

Last edited by captain carrantuohil on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:30 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:What's a late decision? Wink
Pascal-Dawson!

Yeah ignore the late bit Whistle

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:30 pm

Scottrf wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Just to correct you mate. We picked diffrent winners for Wolak vs Rodriguez and Mares vs Agbecko! Very Happy
Both I found quite hard to call. Interesting weekend for sure, need to plan which fights to watch when!

I've not got Premier Sports so I'll stay up for Cotto vs Margarito and download the bantamweight stuff and watch Sunday night.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:31 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:I've always had a lot of time for Vic, but he's had a lot of tough tussles, and has seemed alightly on the downgrade to me in his last couple of meaningful fights.
Very true, which is why I said I think it would get away from him if he doesn't do it early. Will see how much Moreno can take.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:50 pm

Wasnt Cedric Boswell the guy that was scheduled to fight Vitali before Vit was upgraded to fight Lewis?
Agree with most of your picks although I fancy Cotto to decision Marg as long as he boxes smart.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:12 pm

Anthony Dirrell is fighting on Friday night against Renan St Jude.

Jhonny Gonzalez defends his WBC featherweight title in Mexico on Saturday night against Roinet Caballero.

Sakio Bika is on the undercard of the bantamweight final in a 8 rounder against Alfredo Conteras
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:43 pm

are these all on tele??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:06 pm

Bika might be on but it will be recorded so Showtime might tube it on Sunday. Gonzalez will be on Fox Deportes not got a clue about Dirrell give me 5 minutes and I will find out for you.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:08 pm

It's on Showtime on Friday night mate.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:40 pm

the Dirrell fight is an eliminator for a World strap not sure what one but I think I read it's the WBA.

http://theboxingtribune.com/2011/11/super-middleweight-eliminator-featuring-anthony-dirrell-vs-renan-st-juste-friday-december-2nd/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:27 pm

prettyboykev wrote:It's on Showtime on Friday night mate.

Cheers PBK

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:04 am

This guys articles are usually very good I don't know his name but heres his take on some of this weekends action.

http://thestanding8-count.blogspot.com/2011/11/fights-lights-and-mekkah-of-boxing.html
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Best Boxing Weekend of the Year? Empty Friday/Saturday night fights

Post by inman124 Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:32 pm

Well what a bill of boxing coming up this weekend. First off we have Martin Murray's challenge for the WBA Middleweight title against Felix Sturm. Then we have European Heavyweight title contest between Dereck Chisora and Robert Helenius, on the same bill we have Alexander Povetkin defending his WBA Heavyweight title vs 42 year old Cedric Boswell. Over in New York in the early hours, John Murray's challenge for Brandon Rios Lightweight title followed by the Main Event, Miguel Cotto vs Antonio Margarito. Great nights of boxing!

Felix Sturm vs Martin Murray- Murray win
Dereck Chisora vs Robert Helenius- Chrisora win
Alexander Povetkin vs Cedric Boswell- Povetkin win
Brandon Rios vs John Murray - Murray win (i hope)
Miguel Cotto vs Antonio Margarito- Cotto revenge

What you all think?

inman124

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:50 pm

I think Murray hasn't got a prayer against Sturm - it's in Germany and Sturm will not be KO'd. It'll be an easy UD for Felix unless there's a major injury.

As for Helenius vs Chisora, I simply do not believe that Dereck has a chance either! Robert's been knocking over ex-champions whereas Chisora's best has been knocking over a fat Danny Williams and Sam Sexton. The man lost to Tyson Fury because he thought he could just turn up and knock him out. Even if he's super fit he'll get beaten, and badly I reckon.

The Rios fight? I'm leaning more towards Rios but could go either way. The rest I agree with Laugh thumbsup

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:51 pm

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:51 pm

Rios is going to steamroll Murray, who will have to be peeled from the canvas by his corner.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:52 pm

Yep, I'll merge it.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by inman124 Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:56 pm

Scottrf wrote:
inman124 wrote:What you all think?
https://www.606v2.com/t19264-best-boxing-weekend-of-the-year
Didnt see this lol sorry

inman124

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:58 pm

inman124 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
inman124 wrote:What you all think?
https://www.606v2.com/t19264-best-boxing-weekend-of-the-year
Didnt see this lol sorry
No problem, any views on the other fights?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by inman124 Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:46 pm

I think Mike Jones will win which might set up a clash with Kell Brook, Darchinyan will force a late stoppage rounds 9-12.

inman124

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down