The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing this weekend?

+11
milkyboy
ONETWOFOREVER
mobilemaster8
Lance
spencerclarke
wheelchair1991
catchweight
ShahenshahG
Rowley
hampo17
shenglong2015
15 posters

Go down

Boxing this weekend? Empty Boxing this weekend?

Post by shenglong2015 Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:06 am

Are Sky Sports seriously going ahead with the boxing in Sheffield this weekend? With 2 fights.

Eubank Jr vs Jeter (10 rounds)
McDonnell v Parodi

I know Sky have cut back on the boxing with getting rid of Ringside, but with Hearn having such a big stable is this really the bst they can do?

Couple of things:

Did anyone still pay the same ticket price for this after Brooks withdrawal?

Could Eddie not have slung together a prizefighter or something to bridge the gap?

Boxing really is going downhill.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Boxing this weekend? Empty Re: Boxing this weekend?

Post by hampo17 Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:13 am

They gave refunds for anyone who wanted them after the Brook fight was cancelled so you can't really criticise him for that, and why shouldn't the card still go ahead?

It's not PPV, gives some of these guys to get some rounds in. Don't completely ignore the guys lower down the card who have sold tickets as well.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:27 pm

Who exactly is he meant to add to the card? Brook is injured and he has big cards in Manchester and London coming up, for which many of his fighters will be tied up with. Also given Brook only pulled out a week or so ago it hardly gives his fighters much notice to fill the gap. If their not in shape what are they meant to do, risk going in out of shape and picking up a loss just so you don't feel you're getting short changed on Sky. Also, even if one of his guys, say Kevin Mitchell for sake of argument, was fit and willing to step in, on a weeks notice what kind of opponent are you going to get in. Does Mitchell knocking over some Eastern European journeyman in a round really add any huge value to the card?

As Hampo has said, everyone had an opportunity to get a refund if they wanted and nobody has any obligation to watch the fight on Sky should they not want to.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:43 pm

Rowley wrote:Who exactly is he meant to add to the card? Brook is injured and he has big cards in Manchester and London coming up, for which many of his fighters will be tied up with. Also given Brook only pulled out a week or so ago it hardly gives his fighters much notice to fill the gap. If their not in shape what are they meant to do, risk going in out of shape and picking up a loss just so you don't feel you're getting short changed on Sky. Also, even if one of his guys, say Kevin Mitchell for sake of argument, was fit and willing to step in, on a weeks notice what kind of opponent are you going to get in. Does Mitchell knocking over some Eastern European journeyman in a round really add any huge value to the card?

As Hampo has said, everyone had an opportunity to get a refund if they wanted and nobody has any obligation to watch the fight on Sky should they not want to.

Ponce.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:51 pm

Sorry Shah, only just got out of bed, you'll have to make the odd allowance.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:52 pm

Unlikely Brook injury was legit. Probably decided to pull the plug once a ppv want going to come off.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:04 am

I think given that brook pulled out last week and that fans got the chance to have a refund, its hard to criticize too much on this occassion.

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:42 am

6 other fights on not sure how many televised. Might not be big names but who knows there might be a couple of gem fights there that otherwise wouldn't get the billing.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:46 am

Exactly right Spencer, one thing that really grinds with me is the way boxing fans just ignore the lower level guys, despite them usually giving some of the better fights.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:33 am

Didn't think Brook would stay fit after this lost its PPV billing

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:33 am

Utter joke fight. I'm actually beginning to hate British boxing and what it no longer stands for.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:35 am

This is nothing more than a warm up for the O'Sullivan fight, daft if you thought it was anything else before hand. Nice to know the WBA are so much of a joke that Eubank JR will know be stripped of the title as next week they're giving it to some else.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:35 am

FOTY

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:40 am

Jeter top 15 in more than 1 organisation. As David Coleman used to say 'quite remarkable'.

Might dust off the gloves.

Hope Adam booth teaches Eubank a jab sometime soon.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:42 am

GGG having kittens right now.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:50 am

Froch: 'perfectly timed stoppage from Howard foster... As always'. And they say he doesn't have a sense of humour

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:56 am

Eubanks really impressed me tonight.

His awareness and focus is second to none right now. Whenever Jeter came forward Eubanks just motioned him to his right within striking distance using a varied skillset like. His forward counter punching style meant that Jeter had to work from the outside. Eubanks countered that with using an educated left hook that demonstrated power. Eubanks threw a fierce 3 punch combination which ended with a hard right hand to Jeters head which resulted in Jeter flying with his back to the ropes.

The first knockdown was a real peach of a shot. Like I said Eubanks was throwing educated left hooks and it was this skill that put Jeter on queer street and down for the count. Jeter committed to come forward missed a lead right that was blocked by Eubanks who then threw a hard glancing left hook that rattled Jeter. Jeter to his credit got up and continued and held his ground before the bell for the end of the 1st round was sounded. Going into the second round it was all to play for Jeter started with a sharp one two that was parried by Eubanks who in turn aimed a great uppercut to the ribs. Jeter was still recovering when he got caught against the ropes and Eubanks was able to let off a 3 punch combo that rocked the head back of Jeter who was saved by the intervening ref who called off the fight.

All in all very impressive by Eubanks and a great fight while it lasted.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:07 am

The only thing that makes me happy about your post is that its writing has wasted a little part of your life.

I like Jr, but this was a nothing fight and we'll learn precisely that about him against opposition of this calibre.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:09 am

Also...

...[ahem]

... it's EUBANK!!!!!

It's not f***ing 'Eubanks'!

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:04 pm

If Eddie's right and he does get the Jacobs-Quillin winner, i can't see him beating Jacobs. Not seen enough of Quillin to judge, but Jacobs in my view is essentially a better version of Saunders I/E a good outside boxer with adaptable ring IQ who carries a bit more power in his shots. Doesn't have Saunders' stamina issue either.

Mismatches like that are not pleasant to watch, felt bad for Jeter there.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Horrible waste of time fight for Eubank. That kind of crap mismatch shouldnt be headlining a tv card. McDonnell or even Wale would have been better.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:12 pm

Good exposure for Eubank though. Not a waste of time for him, just anybody who wanted to watch some competitive sport. Quilin would outbox Eubank comfortably I'm afraid.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:09 pm

BallchinianMuffwig wrote:If Eddie's right and he does get the Jacobs-Quillin winner, i can't see him beating Jacobs. Not seen enough of Quillin to judge, but Jacobs in my view is essentially a better version of Saunders I/E a good outside boxer with adaptable ring IQ who carries a bit more power in his shots. Doesn't have Saunders' stamina issue either.

Mismatches like that are not pleasant to watch, felt bad for Jeter there.

I think Eubank's next fight will be a cracker against Spike but not sure either would beat Quillin or Jacobs, Eubank does not seem to jab at all

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:45 pm

I thought the fight after the "main event" was quite a good tear up. Best fight of the night.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:09 pm

Adam D wrote:I thought the fight after the "main event" was quite a good tear up. Best fight of the night.

Yeah that was by far the best fight of the night(at least of televised fights)

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:02 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:Utter joke fight. I'm actually beginning to hate British boxing and what it no longer stands for.

Well said.

It is a laughing stock.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:06 am

They have ruined British Boxing with continual mismatches.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:02 am

Quillin and Jacobs being overrated a tad here?
They're nothing special and apart from GGG the division is wide open and English's son has as much a chance as any to be the number 2.
For the record I think he beats Jacobs and the Quillin fight comes down to whether he can take Quillins power. The future is bright for young Eubank.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:22 am

Im guesing you havent watched Quilin? He won't go for power against Eubank. He would try to do what Saunders did, only for 12 rounds instead of 7

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:36 am

I've seen plenty enough of Quillin and do rate him. Lee, N'Dam and even an old shot Winky Wright outboxed him at will.

Eubank, with his head screwed on and with a game plan from Booth would do the same. I'm aware that the flaw in my thinking is that Quillin beat two of those but he showed his own flaws in those fights. Enough to show that he's very beatable even by boxers that aren't too notch. Billy Joe would probably beat him too if he avoided Quillins power.

Quillin is nothing special.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down